Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Raygereio posted:

No, that's a radiant quest. Those don't care if a potential target isn't available.
The only thing in the game that requires Rolf being alive (meaning poo poo would break otherwise) is that introductory scene when you first enter Windholm.

Can't you brawl with him to set him straight? That counts as a quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Excelzior posted:

Can't you brawl with him to set him straight? That counts as a quest.
That is a quest, but still a radiant one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Raygereio posted:

That is a quest, but still a radiant one.

I think I'm confused on definitions. I know there is a generic "Brawl" quest which everyone you can brawl with (Rolff, Uthgerd, that utterly insignificant dude in Morthal, the orc guy, some others I'm forgetting at the moment) are lumped into together. But I thought "Radiant" specifically meant quests that have variable targets, like bounties on bandits and poo poo.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The honest reality is that bethesda didn't wanted to have to add any "NPC is Dead" checks to their quests. The functionality for failed quests and objectives is there (Every time you give up on a radiant thieves guild quest it counts as failed) Bethesda just didn't want to do it.

All the functionality that made Morrowind (And New Vegas, for that matter) so flexible is still there, waiting to be used. It's just that bethesda didn't want to.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think I'm confused on definitions. I know there is a generic "Brawl" quest which everyone you can brawl with (Rolff, Uthgerd, that utterly insignificant dude in Morthal, the orc guy, some others I'm forgetting at the moment) are lumped into together. But I thought "Radiant" specifically meant quests that have variable targets, like bounties on bandits and poo poo.

It's actually rather impressive how many quest types they managed to shoehorn the radiant system into. A lot of the little quests use it to, which is why you can't have, say, the Solitude executioner's quest at the same time as you have the one from the Free-Winter guy from Windhelm's quest.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 25, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This makes it all the more surprising when you come across a character that actually can die and cause you to fail a quest.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Eric the Mauve posted:

that utterly insignificant dude in Morthal

"Uncle Ben" Benor? He's a follower, if that's who you're referring to.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Crossposting from the weird headlines thread:

The MSJ posted:

More news from Sheogorath's favorite state and person.

This is the next level: Modding yourself to play the game!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Crossposting from the weird headlines thread:

This is the next level: Modding yourself to play the game!

I applaud this man and if he figures out how to do it i hope he posts it here.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dongattack posted:

I applaud this man and if he figures out how to do it i hope he posts it here.

But then you might accidentally play Skyrim again :v:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

dont be mean to me posted:

But then you might accidentally play Skyrim again :v:

Sky..what?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If I had the opportunity to play games again as if it were for the first time I would never buy games again

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

what game? Sky something?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh, is this that odd minigame that comes with Mod Organizer?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

One of 'em.

Also maybe with Nexus Mod Manager, but, y'know, why.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

docbeard posted:

Oh, is this that odd minigame that comes with Mod Organizer?

Fallrim New Morthal

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I feel like this is a good visual summary of Dawnguard.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I mean, if you're an immortal undead monster, and you can survive sticking a sword through your head, wouldn't you? Especially when you're drunk?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Dawnguard. :smithcloud:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Bit of a Fallout 4 cross post

Just found out this Fallout 4 mod works with Skyrim Special Edition via a thread on reddit.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10283/

The Jist
SKyrimSE ties loading time to framerate.
This mod detects gamestates, and dynamically disables vsync during loading screen states.
Absent vsync on a loading screen, your system is going to draw crazy volumes of frames.
This places the loading time bottleneck from your framerate, to your drive speed
this should only benefit SSD or better

SkyrimSE instructions

1. Download and extract to ROOT SkyrimSE directory.
2. Open LoadAccelerator.ini

3. Edit
code:
TargetState = 198
TargetState2 = 16582
to
(increment 1)
code:
TargetState = 199
TargetState2 = 16583
NOTE State 199 is for loading from interiors to exteriors, but it is ALSO used by the map state. If this bothers you, simply delete 199.

4. Modify your skyrim.ini to have "bLockFramerate=0" under the "[Display]" section, path is "Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition" (MO2 users look elsewhere).

Addendum. This will increase framerate if you have a >60hz display. Additional steps may be necessary to prevent physics from going bonkers.

Thread in question for more information https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/7t0izt/hugely_improve_skyrim_se_load_speeds_via_a/

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 27, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6KqI7XF6Aw

The PC reaction at the end is the best part.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Look at this idiot minotuar

Immersive creatures is great, even if the "immersion" is debatable.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

Look at this idiot minotuar

Immersive creatures is great, even if the "immersion" is debatable.

Yeah, the immersion is debatable, but the mod owns, but I also use Bellyache's New Dragon Species, so my taste is questionable.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, the immersion is debatable, but the mod owns, but I also use Bellyache's New Dragon Species, so my taste is questionable.

I actually liked that mod except for the fact that the author doesn't disable the new species from spawning until after Dragon Rising.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfgf1ACDZFA

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14762

I finally got around to finishing up and uploading my lovely port of my lovely vampire dens mod. :unsmith:

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 28, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nice! Adding that to my next playthrough.

Edit: Also, GunnerJ, I will get to back to work on the op, I got sidetracked by Vvardenfell.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I set up SSE with the Dragon Rising guide and it was spectacularly simple. I swapped out QD inventory for SkyUI and left out a few mostly aesthetic mods and it booted and worked on the first try, a first ever in my Bethesda game modding experience. Wearable lanterns didn't work with skse4 (needed for SkyUI) but gave me an actual error screen saying it was incorrectly configured rather than just causing weird problems and making me disable mods 1 by 1 to find.

I added a couple of goon recommended mods and did have issues when Skyrim level uncapper (again due to skse64), but after disabling that things seem to be working extremely well. Hopefully that's updated before I hit skill level 100 in anything.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

So, I have a quick question. I'm playing Oldrim and I have under 100 plugins enabled right now, and none of those are anything too crazy, mostly just the well-known and top endorsed quest and dungeons, along with Immersive Weapons and Immersive Armor. The game itself runs fine, where I can run around an outdoor area, look at the rivers, the sky, the distant hills and be at a solid 60 FPS, but despite that, whenever I am moving into a new "chunk" of the map, I have severe FPS drop for up to 5 or 10 seconds. In addition, load screens are quite long and when I go to level up the perk screen freezes for up to 1 to 2 minutes before I can select my perk. Any idea what would cause all of this specifically? I don't have any graphical mods added, nothing script-intensive happening to my character like realistic needs or whatever, and I currently have both SKSE's memory patch and meh's Crash fixes. I've definitely not crashed so far, it's just lag during certain things. Any ideas?

Would these issues be completely fixed if I moved to Special Edition?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon Violence posted:

So, I have a quick question. I'm playing Oldrim and I have under 100 plugins enabled right now, and none of those are anything too crazy, mostly just the well-known and top endorsed quest and dungeons, along with Immersive Weapons and Immersive Armor. The game itself runs fine, where I can run around an outdoor area, look at the rivers, the sky, the distant hills and be at a solid 60 FPS, but despite that, whenever I am moving into a new "chunk" of the map, I have severe FPS drop for up to 5 or 10 seconds. In addition, load screens are quite long and when I go to level up the perk screen freezes for up to 1 to 2 minutes before I can select my perk. Any idea what would cause all of this specifically? I don't have any graphical mods added, nothing script-intensive happening to my character like realistic needs or whatever, and I currently have both SKSE's memory patch and meh's Crash fixes. I've definitely not crashed so far, it's just lag during certain things. Any ideas?

Would these issues be completely fixed if I moved to Special Edition?

Sounds like you didn't clean the esps.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

THF13 posted:

Wearable lanterns didn't work with skse4 (needed for SkyUI)

This should actually work fine, it just gives you a warning everytime you load a game (and the mod config menu is borked, have to use the config power) which is... irritating, but it's one of the mods i kinda can't go without now, so i deal with it.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Sounds like you didn't clean the esps.

Combed the OP and didn't see anything about that, or do you mean I should do this for every plugin I have? Even if they're well-regarded plugins like Maids II and Falskaar?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon Violence posted:

Combed the OP and didn't see anything about that, or do you mean I should do this for every plugin I have? Even if they're well-regarded plugins like Maids II and Falskaar?

Run it through Loot, it will tell you which ones are dirty, then yeah, clean them like the guide says, unless the mod creator says don't clean it for some reason.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

So after cleaning my mods and still running into performance issues I decided to do a minimalist mod load, well by that I mean just the fan-made expansions and base game, maybe weapons and armor? Regardless, not 95 plugins, hopefully under 20. But if I'm going to do that, I might as well just jump to Special Edition. I know that Special Edition is better at handling memory and performance and scripting and whatnot. Is there anything I should know about it before jumping in? I know I need special SE-only mods, but anything else? I see SKSE isn't necessarily available for Special Edition yet, but it looks like mods don't require it anymore? Is that true? The OP seems to only have Oldrim modding tips, so I just want to make sure I'm not diving headfirst into concrete.

EDIT: Looking at it, it appears SKSE64 is no longer available for download to the public. So I assume that means SkyUI is not available for SE at the moment. Is there an alternative UI that's just as good?

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 29, 2018

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Cartoon Violence posted:

So after cleaning my mods and still running into performance issues I decided to do a minimalist mod load, well by that I mean just the fan-made expansions and base game, maybe weapons and armor? Regardless, not 95 plugins, hopefully under 20. But if I'm going to do that, I might as well just jump to Special Edition. I know that Special Edition is better at handling memory and performance and scripting and whatnot. Is there anything I should know about it before jumping in? I know I need special SE-only mods, but anything else? I see SKSE isn't necessarily available for Special Edition yet, but it looks like mods don't require it anymore? Is that true? The OP seems to only have Oldrim modding tips, so I just want to make sure I'm not diving headfirst into concrete.

There is an SKSE for Special Edition. I'm using it in my current playthrough!

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

There is an SKSE for Special Edition. I'm using it in my current playthrough!

I just tried to look it up and it appears that it's not available for download on their site anymore. Should I take that as a warning not to use it?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
http://skse.silverlock.org/beta/skse64_2_00_06.7z ?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What site are you talking about? http://skse.silverlock.org/ ?

http://skse.silverlock.org/beta/skse64_2_00_06.7z works for me.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

The Doomhammer posted:

This should actually work fine, it just gives you a warning everytime you load a game (and the mod config menu is borked, have to use the config power) which is... irritating, but it's one of the mods i kinda can't go without now, so i deal with it.

If I run Mod Manager as administrator it removes the error message.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Gonkish posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14762

I finally got around to finishing up and uploading my lovely port of my lovely vampire dens mod. :unsmith:

Thank you very much for porting it!

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

The Doomhammer posted:

Thanks! I've reenabled it and you're right, this mod is great and worth the annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I mean, if you're an immortal undead monster, and you can survive sticking a sword through your head, wouldn't you? Especially when you're drunk?

you stab your brain, it bleeds into the cup, you drink the blood. It's just a way to pass the time when the thralls are too anemic.