Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried playing Wolfenstein 2 and man, it sure made me appreciate DOOMtm so much more.

DOOM really rewards you for taking risks and being good at doing that, it's gameplay mechanics actually make you bumrush the closest enemy, when you're low on HP, so you can heal yourself from the pure satisfaction of bashing their head in, which is so much more fun than hiding behind cover to regen or running away to look for medkits.

The real travesty is that they aren't constantly releasing more singleplayer map packs.
I've been itching for more FPS goodness but DOOMtm has set my standards way too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jack Trades posted:

I tried playing Wolfenstein 2 and man, it sure made me appreciate DOOMtm so much more.

DOOM really rewards you for taking risks and being good at doing that, it's gameplay mechanics actually make you bumrush the closest enemy, when you're low on HP, so you can heal yourself from the pure satisfaction of bashing their head in, which is so much more fun than hiding behind cover to regen or running away to look for medkits.

The real travesty is that they aren't constantly releasing more singleplayer map packs.
I've been itching for more FPS goodness but DOOMtm has set my standards way too high.

Wolfenstein 2 is best on easy mode. It turns into exactly that kind of run and gun + super fun stealth gameplay

DOOM is king though yeah

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Best single player experiences of 2016 are still DO4M and Titanfall 2. 2017 has been a good year for videogames but not for single player FPS so far.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Best single player experiences of 2016 are still DO4M and Titanfall 2. 2017 has been a good year for videogames but not for single player FPS so far.
Seriously? I never checked it out because TF1's singleplayer was so anemic and I didn't have the time for the MP. What made it work so well?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Really fast gameplay, good weapons, shooting and looks amazing. It's kind of short but leaves you wanting more wich is nice. It also features the best robot buddy in a videogame. The MP is also fantastic even if it has a small playerbase nowadays.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GlyphGryph posted:

Thats the biggest reason its so hilarious. I have never seen a game manage to gently caress it up before and I have played a lot of VR games. You have to really go out of your to manage a handedness problem in most vr experiences

After about 10 minutes of gameplay you dual weild for the rest of the game so I think the complaints about handedness are pretty overblown.

Played some more last night. The game owns.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

GutBomb posted:

After about 10 minutes of gameplay you dual weild for the rest of the game so I think the complaints about handedness are pretty overblown.

Played some more last night. The game owns.

I hate to use the buzzword, but since it's VR I'm gonna: Does it actually feel immersive?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Backhand posted:

I hate to use the buzzword, but since it's VR I'm gonna: Does it actually feel immersive?

Yes and no. In my experience the more action oriented games don't really 'immerse' you per se, it's just sort of like you're in a game. It's the slower paced games like Lone Echo or Vanishing Realms that really make you forget where you are IRL.

I made a video of me playing a small late midgame portion of DOOM VFR. I keep seeing the opinion that it's somehow not like DOOM (theres a dumb as heck PCgamer article that pops up on steam) and that couldn't be more wrong. I'm not even great at the game (see me handle a pinky demon in the worst possible way at the beginning) but it's fast and pretty fluid once you get the hang of it. You don't have the same speed as 2016 but you definitely have similar mobility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKhbfXzBMN4

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 7, 2017

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Guillermus posted:

Really fast gameplay, good weapons, shooting and looks amazing. It's kind of short but leaves you wanting more wich is nice. It also features the best robot buddy in a videogame. The MP is also fantastic even if it has a small playerbase nowadays.

Re: Titanfall 2, I finally played this and yeah, this game is the best single player FPS experience since DO4M.

It's short, but oh so loving. I've replayed it twice in a week and I wish it was longer.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dyz posted:

I always figured he fired his gun with his chest.

Wolfenstein guy isn't his great grandpa, it's one of these guys:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Pneub posted:

Wolfenstein guy isn't his great grandpa, it's one of these guys:

If you don't take back your insinuation that Doomguy is a descendant of a nazi cyborg, we're going to have a fight.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

jeeves posted:

Re: Titanfall 2, I finally played this and yeah, this game is the best single player FPS experience since DO4M.

It's short, but oh so loving. I've replayed it twice in a week and I wish it was longer.

:hfive:

Titanfall 2 is a drat good videogame, shame that it got sandwiched between BF1 and CoDwhatever because it owns. SP is short but amazing and MP is drat fun even playing without a group.

I just hope that now that EA bought Respawn, don't shut them down after Titanfall 3.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Walrus posted:

Yes and no. In my experience the more action oriented games don't really 'immerse' you per se, it's just sort of like you're in a game. It's the slower paced games like Lone Echo or Vanishing Realms that really make you forget where you are IRL.

GORN is action oriented and super immersive. But it also does things that "turn people off" by having "stretchy" weapons (that actually serve as a natural feeling visual indicator of intertia, making things feel like they have weight when you swing them around) that might seem dumb at first glance but really help put you into the moment.

There's a reason it's a leading cause of broken controllers.

Holy poo poo I wish DOOMVR let you tear people limb from limb like gorn does, that would have been fuckin' amazing. (GORN is good, especially with the new mobility caestus that let's you jump through the air)

Superhot is also incredible immersive, so it's definitely something action oriented games can definitely succeed at.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 7, 2017

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

The Walrus posted:

I made a video of me playing a small late midgame portion of DOOM VFR. I keep seeing the opinion that it's somehow not like DOOM (theres a dumb as heck PCgamer article that pops up on steam) and that couldn't be more wrong. I'm not even great at the game (see me handle a pinky demon in the worst possible way at the beginning) but it's fast and pretty fluid once you get the hang of it. You don't have the same speed as 2016 but you definitely have similar mobility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKhbfXzBMN4
Thank you: that was a great video demonstrating the game.

What's the optimal headset to play the regular Doom 2016 VR with? I know there are issues with motion sickness but I would still like to try Doom 2016 regular in VR someday. I would probably play sitting down rather than standing since I'm so used to playing FPS that way.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have the Vive but I'm sure it's fine on the Rift. The Rift is also much cheaper and comes with a ton of great free software.

One thing I'd say though is, sitting down won't be ideal, at least for how I play. There is an option to let you turn your viewpoint with the trackpad, but the real fun of VR is in spinning around yourself to face where you want to go, not just pressing a direction like you would in pancake mode. There's that bit where I hit the jump pad and then spin 180 to shotgun the lost soul flying at me in midair. I actually spun around irl there and it felt sooooo cool.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 14, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Walrus posted:

I have the Vive but I'm sure it's fine on the Rift. The Rift is also much cheaper and comes with a ton of great free software.

One thing I'd say though is, sitting down won't be ideal, at least for how I play. There is an option to let you turn your viewpoint with the trackpad, but the real fun of VR is in spinning around yourself to face where you want to go, not just pressing a direction like you would in pancake mode.

I have tried snap turning in vr games and it takes me out of it so much. Lone Echo I played using only natural movement while sitting on a swivel chair in the middle of my play area. It felt so perfect that way. I have ceiling hooks holding up my rift along with 10ft extensions. I also have 3 sensors.

Edit: whoops, thought I was in the VR thread. DO4M VF(ucking)R rules.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Forgot how fun this game is with mouse and keyboard.

Also, it's still amuses me how Doomguy breaks open the SSG without operating the leaver and the gun works just fine.

I guess future shotguns are pretty sturdy things if they can hadle that much punishment.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've been calling this game Retard 4

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I finally got around to installing this (58 GB still seems pretty insane to d/l), but I think my game might be bugged or something, because all the enemies look like Mitch McConnell or Paul Ryan.

But my real question is I'm on level 2, and I've got all but two secrets. There's one room I can see, but it seems to require a leap around a corner. There are some convenient-looking ledges, but when I jump I can't grab them. Should I have taken the "Grab onto Ledges faster" Dexterity perk for the suit? I think getting to that one is the way to get to the other missing secret.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

I think i mentioned this before, but yeah, the lack of marketing and the bad multiplayer beta test they had before launch really soured the whole experience. I grew up playing Doom, and I thought that thanks to FPSes not trying anything new, Id were somehow going to gently caress it all up.

Glad i was wrong. We need more games like these.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I finally got around to installing this (58 GB still seems pretty insane to d/l), but I think my game might be bugged or something, because all the enemies look like Mitch McConnell or Paul Ryan.

But my real question is I'm on level 2, and I've got all but two secrets. There's one room I can see, but it seems to require a leap around a corner. There are some convenient-looking ledges, but when I jump I can't grab them. Should I have taken the "Grab onto Ledges faster" Dexterity perk for the suit? I think getting to that one is the way to get to the other missing secret.

You can go back to previous missions, there's something you'll get soonish that will help.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You can get all of the secrets in each levels on the first go. It's just much easier to redo a level and focus on fewer secrets and objectives.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thing is, each level could take only 10 minutes to clear if you did critical path, but I spend at least an hour on each level finding all the hidden poo poo.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I understand that I can come back, I just like getting all the secrets the first time. If I have to come back, I have to come back. I'm guessing the thing I get next is a permanent double jump, because it's not the only spot I've seen on the first two levels which seems beyond one leap.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

You can get all of the secrets in each levels on the first go. It's just much easier to redo a level and focus on fewer secrets and objectives.

So if I wanted to get that one the first time, I should have taken the grab ledges faster Dexterity perk (instead of the "Detect secrets" one). I also unfortunately spent the second weapon mod on the shotgun as well, because the sneaky devs put the second mod pack in just before you can get the new guns on the level.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So if I wanted to get that one the first time, I should have taken the grab ledges faster Dexterity perk (instead of the "Detect secrets" one). I also unfortunately spent the second weapon mod on the shotgun as well, because the sneaky devs put the second mod pack in just before you can get the new guns on the level.

Nah man, the dexterity perk is for combat when you're jumping around and getting up a ledge a half second faster might be important when it comes to not catching an imp fireball with your rear end. You don't need any of the perks to access any of the secrets.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
No perk does anything in regards to getting secrets. If it wasn't working, you were doing something wrong or trying to get in the wrong place.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

GlyphGryph posted:

No perk does anything in regards to getting secrets. If it wasn't working, you were doing something wrong or trying to get in the wrong place.

Very helpful and interesting. I'll have to take a closer look and see what I missed.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The map perk is really nice though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I think the show all secrets on the map perk should be the first thing you build towards cuz it definitely helps in the long run

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My new QHD monitor arrived today, played this for about a minute before work and my eyes melted, such a step up from 1080.

Playing CSGO loads recently also reinforces just how goddamn fast this game is too.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

Wolfenstein 2 is best on easy mode. It turns into exactly that kind of run and gun + super fun stealth gameplay

DOOM is king though yeah

doom is more fun the harder it is

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

Personally I think the show all secrets on the map perk should be the first thing you build towards cuz it definitely helps in the long run

I second this. It helps immensely to get literally every other perk, power-up, ability, etc.

Though if you're going to have a walkthrough open next to you to do a "Paint by Numbers"-style playthrough of levels then I suppose it's less important.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I like to find them myself instead of using a walkthrough. I did just find out how to get at the obvious spots I missed... but neither of them were secrets!

The map screen shows the secrets as a line of question marks. As you find secrets, you can skip over finding some question marks. I would normally assume that this should mean that a skipped-over secret should be found between the other two which you've found. But I do have everything after the airlock left (looks like about half the level), and I've already found the "final" secret. It's just two earlier which I am missing.

EDIT: Oh, the "classic map" goes at the end. That explains things.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 30, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Don't the entrances to the classic levels count as secrets too? Those can be a little tricky to locate sometimes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Different strokes, but i think you're spoiling the doom experience a little if you obsess over getting every secret before you leave the level. It makes it really easy to come back and redo levels to winkle out the hidden stuff.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

sebmojo posted:

Different strokes, but i think you're spoiling the doom experience a little if you obsess over getting every secret before you leave the level. It makes it really easy to come back and redo levels to winkle out the hidden stuff.

Agreed. I found it a bit difficult to get into the game when I first started playing, largely because I was endlessly combing through every level for secrets. It really killed the pacing. Once I let go and focused primarily on RIP AND TEAR, I ended up having a lot of fun and immediately followed one playthrough with another on Nightmare.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You can turn the interface off completely in settings, doing that and upping the difficulty is is great for a second completion run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
loving around levels and looking for secrets is part of the classic Doom experience

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The checklists of collectables and tasks to do that give you actually useful gameplay rewards is the only bad part of the game.

I want to just rip and tear BUT if I collect all the trash, I can rip and tear much better, so I can't help but spend hours combing through the levels, ruining all the pacing.

EDIT: Arcade mode on top, one-life, difficulty was the real good poo poo though. The only issue I had with that was the fact that the bonus globe would often fly in a totally random direction, being unpredictable and loving up my score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I greatly enjoyed collecting all the secrets as I played and studiously avoided getting the map upgrade because I liked hunting for secrets. And of course there are the secrets like the birthday skeleton chamber that dont show up on that and offer no in game rewards but are great to find as well.

To each their own I think, I enjoye the pacing of alternating between hectic battles and combing for secrets.