Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TKIY posted:

That's the best terrain kit ever. I'm so stoked to be able to get it.

How much do we think that's going to cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Atlas Hugged posted:

How much do we think that's going to cost?

I assume whatever it cost last time but it might have gone up because :gw:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If we're lucky it'll be around $85, but probably closer to $100-125.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
If they brought over the no targeting characters I am not sure how I would kill Tzeentch with most of my armies.

Although on the other hand it would make my nurgle stuff even better, hmmm.

I really want to see the new death book, I've seen like 3 sets of fake warscrolls at this point so I am just not believing anything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We are going to start getting previews soon so I will be happy to see them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TKIY posted:

That's the best terrain kit ever. I'm so stoked to be able to get it.

I have to dispute this. It may look great, but it's from the era of GW outsourcing terrain to other casters so there's some problems with bits not quite fitting properly and needing a bunch of filling etc.

The fortified manor was a much better set for ease of building.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The guy who paid $250 for his Skullvane Manse kit on Ebay two weeks ago is probably kicking himself pretty hard now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I have a rules question that feels like I've been exploiting something. In the Free Peoples detachment, your units support each other if they're within 6" of each other, so if my screening unit of Freeguild Guard gets charged but is within 6" of my Crossbowmen, the Crossbowmen get to shoot the charging unit "as if it were their shooting phase". Now, Crossbowmen have a rule called Reload, Fire, which goes as follows:
"Freeguild Crossbowmen can shoot twice if their unit has 20 or more models, they did not move in their preceding movement phase and there are no enemy models within 3"."
So provided they stood still in my preceding movement phase, because they're shooting "as if it were their shooting phase" do they get to shoot twice?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SRM posted:

I have a rules question that feels like I've been exploiting something. In the Free Peoples detachment, your units support each other if they're within 6" of each other, so if my screening unit of Freeguild Guard gets charged but is within 6" of my Crossbowmen, the Crossbowmen get to shoot the charging unit "as if it were their shooting phase". Now, Crossbowmen have a rule called Reload, Fire, which goes as follows:
"Freeguild Crossbowmen can shoot twice if their unit has 20 or more models, they did not move in their preceding movement phase and there are no enemy models within 3"."
So provided they stood still in my preceding movement phase, because they're shooting "as if it were their shooting phase" do they get to shoot twice?

I'd say so. Nothing stopping them, and since it says "as if it were their shooting phase", it seems like rules that would apply during their shooting phase would apply then too.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Yeah agreed. Can't see why it wouldn't apply other than it being terminally unfun to play against!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We got some updated FAQ's but not a ton is in them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MonsterEnvy posted:

We got some updated FAQ's but not a ton is in them.

lol

e: lol'ing aside, I don't see new faqs yet?

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 29, 2018

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

If AoS is going to get character shooting restrictions it would be in the GHB, or they would reprint the small rules handouts. But I don’t really think it’s going to happen.

Hopefully Nagash comes up with a way of protecting his necromancers and wight kings.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Serotonin posted:

Yeah agreed. Can't see why it wouldn't apply other than it being terminally unfun to play against!

Yeah... I accidentally made an army that's good.

I was at my first AoS tournament yesterday! I brought:
Freeguild General (sigmarite weapon, pistol)
Battlemage (Amber Wizard)
Pistoliers x5
Detachment 1:
Freeguild Guard x30 (spears, shields)
Freeguild Guard x10 (halberds)
Crossbowmen x20
Detachment 2:
Freeguild Guard x20 (swords, shields)
Freeguild Guard x20 (militia weapons)
Handgunners x30
Warlord Trait: Indomitable (+1 sv on units within 6" of my general if they didn't charge)

Game 1 had me go against Eric and his borrowed Dwarfs. Eric's new to the game, but he's an old Fantasy player. It was a pretty typical Dwarf list, and the mission was Kill the Messenger. My Messenger was my Battlemage, who I hid behind a wall, while his was his Runesmith. I outranged his army so he had to close (slowly) with mine, which gave me plenty of time to shoot him to bits. My Pistoliers ran forward and because of their silly rule they have to run towards the closest visible unit, causing them to run at a Slayer character and get merked. The few charges he got off were met with supporting fire from my handguns and crossbows, which coupled with Hold the Line to make every melee a decisive victory for my troops. On turn 3 I'd cleared away enough of his troops to get a pair of crossbow volleys off on his Runesmith and I killed him, winning the game. He was a nice dude though, and hopefully that game didn't put him off playing more AoS. At the very least it looked good:

Game 2 was against Miles' Ironjawz. This army looked excellent, but I don't think my crappy phone camera captured that. He had a big block of 'Ardboyz, two mobs of 5 Brutes, 2 mobs of 3 Goregruntas, a Warchanter, Weirdnob Shaman, and Megaboss. The mission had a triangle deployment into the center with three objectives on either side - the goal was to burn them and hold your own. Their initial move caused the Shaman, 'Ardboyz, and one mob of Goregruntas to get real close to my army while the rest lagged behind. Again, volleys of shooting, Hold the Line, and Wildform or Arcane Shield on the spearmen he charged had me wipe out the first wave handily. By the time the second wave of Goregruntas and Brutes came up, I was able to focus them down with my militia and shooting units (Hold the Line does wonders), and when he finally got a charge off with a mob of Brutes, the Megaboss, and the Warchanter, I was able to gun down the Warchanter with supporting fire and hold my ground with the spearmen. Arcane Shield and Indomitable meant my spearmen had a 3+ save rerolling 1s, so they just didn't die. By the end of the game I'd tabled him and lost 23 state troops. My Pistoliers were going to burn his objectives but never needed to. Again, great dude to play against, but it was a pretty one sided game.

Game 3 was against Alan's Blades of Khorne. His army was absolutely huge, with massive mobs of 30 Bloodletters and Bloodreavers, 10 Blood Warriors, 5 Skullreapers, 3 Skullcrushers, a Herald of Khorne, Slaughterpriest, banner guy and the character from the AoS starter set. It was table quarters with 4 objectives total, and you'd get 1 point for each you controlled at the end of a turn. Again, I set up defensively and had him come to me - the starter set dude with the dog was leading the charge and got promptly ventilated by my handgunners, and I pulled off a double turn from the bottom of 1 into 2 where I unleashed boatloads of shooting and took one of his objectives with my Pistoliers. While he was able to take that objective back, it put me in the lead, diverted his forces, and I wasn't about to give up either of my objectives now that I'd killed about half his army. He tried to close with his Bloodletters only to get shot up by supporting fire, and I'd killed most of his army while only losing 5 Pistoliers. He fell back onto the objectives he had from there and tried to make me come to him. That was a bit of a mistake on my part, as even a block of 30 spearmen on the charge aren't gonna get much done. Without supporting fire, Hold the Line, or Wildform, they didn't do much except get murdered then have a bunch of guys run away. At that point I still had a solid lead, and the game was over. Again, a great opponent, but the matchup wasn't so good. He was looking up strategies on how to beat my army with Blades of Khorne during one of my turns and the prevailing strategy he found was "don't get matched up against them"

So at the end of the day I went 3-0 and I got first place! I'd never won a tournament before, and I felt kinda bad for mopping the floor so badly with my dudes. What would counter my army? I imagine a lot of wizard fuckery or other shooting would give it trouble but I don't really know AoS super well outside of my little bubble of people playing with Old World armies.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I gotta appreciate that one terminator in the Ironjawz army who is presumably extremely confused.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I gotta appreciate that one terminator in the Ironjawz army who is presumably extremely confused.

I mean, he's still green and still in heavy armor, he's basically the same

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

SRM posted:

So at the end of the day I went 3-0 and I got first place! I'd never won a tournament before, and I felt kinda bad for mopping the floor so badly with my dudes. What would counter my army? I imagine a lot of wizard fuckery or other shooting would give it trouble but I don't really know AoS super well outside of my little bubble of people playing with Old World armies.

Pretty much. Your guns are great but threat range is short compared to some other shooting armies. And your heaviest hitting units are slow. Your opponents need to force you to move with long range shooting, or be able to charge their whole army at you (or over you with flying) from outside of your shooting range. Or deep strike some ranged units near you and try to snipe your general or take out gunners.

A number of armies can do those things but turtling like that is uncommon in AoS and freeguild do it better than anyone probably.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Yeah... I accidentally made an army that's good.

How's keeping them in rank and file working out for you? Obviously, it's not an issue, since you won 3-0, but do you wind up taking them out of the movement trays once you get into CC?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

How's keeping them in rank and file working out for you? Obviously, it's not an issue, since you won 3-0, but do you wind up taking them out of the movement trays once you get into CC?
I was only borrowing the movement trays but I'm definitely going to invest in some at some point. It speeds movement and deployment up a lot, which is a necessity when I bring 130 models to a midsize game. I took them out of movement trays when combats got complicated or the unit got chewed up enough, but they usually stayed in their neat little blocks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I just assumed it was a Salamander in a Emperor Text to Speech joke.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
How the hell am I going to make a 1k list for Soulblight. I need to take the Lord on Zombie Dragon (escalation league and your general must be static), and the points for Vargheists and Blood Knights just don't line up :/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

lol

e: lol'ing aside, I don't see new faqs yet?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/ Right here the top 4 were updated today.

Also they now have an Email for people to send feedback and comments to

quote:

Part of our ongoing commitment to making sure that Warhammer Age of Sigmar is as fun as possible for every player is empowering you to let us know about any issues that arise in your games or any thoughts you may have on balance. To help us gather your thoughts, we’re opening a special inbox – AoSFAQ@gwplc.com. While we won’t be able to reply to each query individually, we’ll be regularly checking it and taking your feedback into account when we work on our bi-yearly FAQs and the General’s Handbook.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TKIY posted:

How the hell am I going to make a 1k list for Soulblight. I need to take the Lord on Zombie Dragon (escalation league and your general must be static), and the points for Vargheists and Blood Knights just don't line up :/

You should wait for Legions of Nagash. It appears stuff will be updated for Vampires there. Mannfred and Neferata are also gaining the Soulblight Keyword and a few other units are being added too.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

TKIY posted:

One unit of each and then 140 summoning/ally points (Cairn wraith + any 80 point unit, or some Spirit Hosts). Or just 2 units of blood knights. Blood knights are pretty good.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

You should wait for Legions of Nagash. It appears stuff will be updated for Vampires there. Mannfred and Neferata are also gaining the Soulblight Keyword and a few other units are being added too.

Yeah I know it's coming but I need to have 1k painted for March 6th so I'm panicking :D

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Interestingly that faq mentions special rules that allow unitd to move as if it were the movement phase don't allow those units to use special abilities that happen in the movement phase.

Sorry SRM I reckon your shooting abilities wouldn't trigger based on that logic

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Are Fell Bats any good? I have four of the oldschool metal ones:

Allegiance: Soulblight
- Bloodline: Swift Death

Leaders
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Mist Form
- Artefact: The Slaking Blade

Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror

Battleline
3 x Vargheists (160)
- Soulblight Battleline

3 x Vargheists (160)
- Soulblight Battleline

Units
3 x Fell Bats (80)

Total: 980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 52

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TKIY posted:

Are Fell Bats any good? I have four of the oldschool metal ones:

Allegiance: Soulblight
- Bloodline: Swift Death

Leaders
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Mist Form
- Artefact: The Slaking Blade

Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror

Battleline
3 x Vargheists (160)
- Soulblight Battleline

3 x Vargheists (160)
- Soulblight Battleline

Units
3 x Fell Bats (80)

Total: 980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 52

That seems ok For 1000. Varghiests are pretty powerful Battleline. And you can get them fairly easily along with Ghouls as they share their kit with Crypt Horrors and such.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 29, 2018

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

That seems ok For 1000. Varghiests are pretty powerful Battleline. And you can get them fairly easily along with Ghouls as they share their kit with Crypt Horrors and such.

I have all those models already, this is stuff I bought for 7th edition :(

I also have a few bat swarms, 10 Black Knights, 30+ Grave Guard, 40+ Skeletons, 2 Mortis/Throne kits, another Dragon/Terrorgheist kit, 3 Crypt Horrors, 80 zombies, Maybe 30 Ghouls, some vamps...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TKIY posted:

I have all those models already, this is stuff I bought for 7th edition :(

I also have a few bat swarms, 10 Black Knights, 30+ Grave Guard, 40+ Skeletons, 2 Mortis/Throne kits, another Dragon/Terrorgheist kit, 3 Crypt Horrors, 80 zombies, Maybe 30 Ghouls, some vamps...

Man thats impressive. The Mortis/Throne will be getting another kit added to Soulblight to so that could work well for your army.

Also want to Send me a Terroghiest. I would love you.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man thats impressive. The Mortis/Throne will be getting another kit added to Soulblight to so that could work well for your army.

Also want to Send me a Terroghiest. I would love you.

Not impressive, depressing. I have to build and paint it all now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Serotonin posted:

Interestingly that faq mentions special rules that allow unitd to move as if it were the movement phase don't allow those units to use special abilities that happen in the movement phase.

Sorry SRM I reckon your shooting abilities wouldn't trigger based on that logic

I honestly hope that logic applies and gets FAQ'd; I like it when my army does well, but it felt cheap to do.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
How much carving would de-chaosing some beastmen involve? I'm re-reading Last Chancers and I want to do a dirty dozen loyalist beastmen guard detachment.

Plus the new Necromunda half-horn guy would make a great Marbo.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/29/malign-portents-means-armygw-homepage-post-3/

A synopsis of why almost every faction has a stake in the happenings of Shyish.

An interesting one that was included

quote:

Slaanesh
Trapped somewhere between the Realms, Slaanesh has also had an insight into the dark future that could await the Mortal Realms, and is deliciously tormented by what the visions foretell – for one, it would make escape that much more difficult, and for another, the dominion of Death would just be unbearably dull.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Schadenboner posted:

How much carving would de-chaosing some beastmen involve? I'm re-reading Last Chancers and I want to do a dirty dozen loyalist beastmen guard detachment.

Plus the new Necromunda half-horn guy would make a great Marbo.

From memory the gor and ungor don’t have much in the way of explicit chaos stuff

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have a mortarch kit that's going to be my next build and paint for fun thing. If I were to use it to make an AOS army, which mortarch would be fun? I think they all look great (even dumbass Mannfred) so I'm not that worried about picking one on looks, but it would be good to know which one supports an army well. I am leaning towards Neferata because I've seen that cool monstrous force she can support, but as usual I'm at a slight loss as to which direction to take. I've already got a decent number of grave guard, some blood knights and some regular skellies I bought ages ago and put together for fun if that educates which Mortarch will require less future outlay.

Also I think the death book is coming out soon? Should I just wait on that?

e: I want to keep it cheap and use the poo poo I've already got because I will likely get Necrons or some Empire guys to paint next. I'd still be down to buy 2-3 new models/boxes to round out a nice little force.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

I have a mortarch kit that's going to be my next build and paint for fun thing. If I were to use it to make an AOS army, which mortarch would be fun? I think they all look great (even dumbass Mannfred) so I'm not that worried about picking one on looks, but it would be good to know which one supports an army well. I am leaning towards Neferata because I've seen that cool monstrous force she can support, but as usual I'm at a slight loss as to which direction to take. I've already got a decent number of grave guard, some blood knights and some regular skellies I bought ages ago and put together for fun if that educates which Mortarch will require less future outlay.

e: I want to keep it cheap and use the poo poo I've already got because I will likely get Necrons or some Empire guys to paint next. I'd still be down to buy 2-3 new models/boxes to round out a nice little force.

Absolutely wait, there’s a massive overhaul for death coming out real soon

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JBP posted:

3 of the 4 Death factions coming in the upcoming books are based on the Mortarchs. So waiting a couple weeks to find out what they do is a good idea.

Currently as I have seen it reported. Neferata prefers Hordes and a defensive playstyle. Mannfred prefers more elite units and an offensive playstyle. And Arkhan likes to have backup wizards.

This may all change with the upcoming book.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://malignportents.com/story/the-offer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/30/legions-nagash-grand-host-nagash-new-summoninggw-homepage-post-2/

The Death leaks were real.

• Locked thread