Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Honestly I feel like that many terminators would tie up a shitload of units in CC. Anybody not Ultramarines or relying entirely on Fly is going to feel that very badly.

It basically completely fucks Parking Lot Guard, a truly noble goal.

Yes, but it's 840 points and 2 CP to do that. Hell of a lot of eggs in one basket but if it works you basically win the game then and there.

Edit: You should realize I'm trying to convince myself not to go down this path. I live for dumb gimmicks in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If they were any less durable than they are I'd say it was a stupid idea. Since they're so durable, I'd say it's only probably dumb most games.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Someone, somewhere, is going to win because of it.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Just want to give a major thank-you shout-out to HardCoil and FiestaNinja for helping me out with some critical Grey Knight bits when eBay couldn't come though. Thanks to them my Squat army is back on track. I was also gifted with the unique and beautiful opportunity to explain Scrunts to my girlfriend when one of the packages was opened to reveal a heartfelt letter written on custom stock.

They're really not this gray and unprimed looking... lighting and camera settings are funky. They'll paint up just fine.

With some very careful cutting, I was able to splice the GK weapons onto the Dwarfs so everything is properly WYSIWYG.

The current holdup is my Deathworld Forest, which TheChirurgeon ham-surprise-slammed into my arms one day months ago. I wanted to give them the love that only a long-time Catachan player could give to this overdue terrain set, so I've been taking my sweet time with them. Each has lots of little additional bits added, including lots of little owls, snakes, and bugs from Lizardman and Wood Elf fantasy kits.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’ve got an ugly old chaos dreadnought which I want to include in my death guard. Anyone have suggestions on what to do for a scythe? My personal view is that the more scythes in a DG army the better

E: a couple of places slelling the fore limbs of the tri arch stalker, that might be a good base!

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 29, 2018

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
In the book Master of Mankind the Custodes philosophize that their ultimate purpose is to kill off the marine legions as the legions killed the thunder warriors.

That book is so good.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

General question I'd appreciate some points of view on: how far in advance do you guys plan out lists before buying/building models for a new army? 1000 points? More? Less? Don't give a gently caress and do whatever looks cool and sort it out later (this sounds potentially incredibly expensive if you want to be somewhat competitive eventually?)

Followup question: would your answer change if the question was framed as advice for a new player instead of your own personal habits?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

great big cardboard tube posted:

General question I'd appreciate some points of view on: how far in advance do you guys plan out lists before buying/building models for a new army? 1000 points? More? Less? Don't give a gently caress and do whatever looks cool and sort it out later (this sounds potentially incredibly expensive if you want to be somewhat competitive eventually?)

Followup question: would your answer change if the question was framed as advice for a new player instead of your own personal habits?

Get a general idea of what you want in a list at standard game size in your area (1500/2000) and buy towards that. Rarely will you get it right first time unless you're lucky or very good, but you want to get the army up to being playable asap - it's hard to sustain interest in a project if it's taking forever to get off the ground, particularly if you're like me and there's competing demands to buy stuff for other armies which you're actually getting games with. This has massively slowed down my Ad Mech for example.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I've purchased 2k armies in one go, but not often. Never anything tournament related (I don't play competitive warhammer because it seems pretty miserable) but just bought a whole Deathwing army for example because I love terminators but 2k is the standard at my store. Mostly painted too now even though I just built it Thursday (super lazy weekend)

More often than not I'll though I'll build up a new army as an allied detachment to one of my other armies until I get enough to field it on its own, and only do enough planning as to figure out what's going into that detachment.

New player totally different case though. Buy what looks cool and go from there, or start with a Start Collecting box. Most planning I'd recommend for an ambitious new player would be build a 500 point list and play that before expanding. You want to learn your units and the game before you drop a ton of money on a 2k list.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Custodes question

So I've got Trajan, a squad of guard, the two Custodes Contemptors and I've preordered a box of bikes.

if I have a separate detachment of sisters of silence led by an Inquisitor, it's good and fluffy, but what sort of set up would people recommend?

I'm also thinking of the army pulling double duty for 30k.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

Custodes question

So I've got Trajan, a squad of guard, the two Custodes Contemptors and I've preordered a box of bikes.

if I have a separate detachment of sisters of silence led by an Inquisitor, it's good and fluffy, but what sort of set up would people recommend?

I'm also thinking of the army pulling double duty for 30k.

2msu sisters in a rhino plus a terminator inquisitor then literally whatever you feel like for the 3rd elite, msu sisters has the benefit of stacking their aura so as soon as they dismount your opponent is at - 2 to cast and deny. Terminator inquisitor gets around the premium on transport among custodes and you can give them terrify to cancel overwatch for other people in the army.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I've been reading over the Custodes book and doing some mathhammer, and I have some thoughts:

1. This is not, by itself, an army that's going to be competitive. Outside of melee they aren't terribly efficient. Inside of melee they can be devastating.

2. Allarus Custodians seem to be the best choice of the foot sloggers. They can deep strike, there's no mandatory reason to take troops, and they have slightly better shooting thanks to their grenade launcher.

3. The Guardian Spear is, in general, a worse choice than the Castellan Axe. This is primarily due to the "sweet spot" of S8 against most targets; the benefits of getting S8 offset the -1 AP. Also there's a Stratagem that lets you counter the -1AP.

4. Holy poo poo Avenge the Fallen in a 10-man Allarus unit would be hilarious.

5. Praetorian Plate, a Vexilus Praetor, and the Vexilla Teleport Homer Stratagem could be a lot of fun if you combine it with say... a Callidus Assassin.

A Terminator Shield-Captain, 2 units of 3 Allarus Custodians, and a Terminator Vexilus Praetor with the Vexilla Defensor comes out to 800 points. Everyone who can is armed with a Castellan Axe and a Misericordia.

I like spending a lot of time and care painting each miniature (even if I'm not that great) but I don't like painting a lot of them. Sounds perfect.

Needs more dreadnoughts though. Got to have dreadnoughts.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

5. Praetorian Plate, a Vexilus Praetor, and the Vexilla Teleport Homer Stratagem could be a lot of fun if you combine it with say... a Callidus Assassin.

This is a really fun and flashy play but the problem is its the easiest thing to counter in the world. The praetorian plate triggers at the end of their charge phase and only if someone is within 1 of the chosen character, so given that you have to have nominated that assassin or marbo they'll know what you're up to and can just fall back so you don't get to trigger it.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Depends on who your opponents are. If it’s mostly with friends, drinking beer and chatting, buy what you think is cool. Real life will get in the way of assembling everything as quickly as you’d like. If you’re starting out and playing in a more competitive scene - “Don’t” would be my advice.

It also doesn’t matter because this is an addictive hobby and the backlog only ever goes up. You’ll likely have bought more stuff before you’ve finished your initial purchases.

You can read about what stuff works online, but then it’s no longer your collection, just a copy of someone else’s opinions, and it might not match your play style or the story you want to tell with your army; and people who whine or mathhammer about stuff online never factor in movement or lots of other variables. Also you’re a new player so you’ll be making tactical mistakes all the time.

If a new player is strapped for cash:
1) don’t do this hobby - it’s way too addictive and a bit of a treadmill with new gorgeous models coming out weekly ,
2) start collecting box sets and other sets GW does which represent a saving
3) eBay can sometimes have bargains on

Having said all that - a new player should paint some stuff up as soon as possible before getting in too deep in case they hate painting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

This is a really fun and flashy play but the problem is its the easiest thing to counter in the world. The praetorian plate triggers at the end of their charge phase and only if someone is within 1 of the chosen character, so given that you have to have nominated that assassin or marbo they'll know what you're up to and can just fall back so you don't get to trigger it.

Yeah, that's definitely a non-starter. OTOH you now have the hilarious image of an entire army fleeing in terror from a single model. You can also surround the model to prevent the plate from going off. Or surround the Vexila.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
So what's the deal with the Redemptor Dreadnought's rocket pod?

Its part of the base unit that you can't remove in the Codex. But the easy to build version doesn't have it either in the model or its profile.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Its part of the base unit that you can't remove in the Codex. But the easy to build version doesn't have it either in the model or its profile.

Wait the easy build is literally a separate unit?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I think the most recent SM FAQ made it optional.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Der Waffle Mous posted:

They made it an option via errata.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They made it an option via errata.

oh, huh.

also gave the primaris captain the option for a plasma pistol and power fist.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
In the original SM FAQ the P-Fist Captain is a separate unit. In BA and DA it's an option for the Captain.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, that's definitely a non-starter. OTOH you now have the hilarious image of an entire army fleeing in terror from a single model. You can also surround the model to prevent the plate from going off. Or surround the Vexila.

I had an unfortunate realisation.

Celestine is both a character and a unit and as such capable of baselocking an enemy.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

WANT.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I already have the 3rd party Eisenhorn from Artel W already on my painting backlog, so I don't really need the GW official one.

But god drat do I want it.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 29, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's going to be some stupid limited edition thing that I'll never be able to get but I want that bad

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Played my first game with my Eldar last night. Holy poo poo Eldar are fast. Played against my friends Necrons, and was a pretty close game mostly because we messed up the rules and thought anything with the fly keyword was -1 to hit for half the game. We ended up correcting though and it was a great game. Here's some shots:

The board after turn one:

Using the open war deck, we pulled basic 12" deployment zones along the long edges. Mission type was supply cache, which was spread evenly, 3 along each side.

I essentially split my army into 2 forces, 2 units of 3 jetbikes on both flanks, backed up by an autarch skyrunner & a farseer each. In the middle was my Fire Prism & Vyper. On the right flank behind some building I put my Wraithknight & Hemlock Wraithfighter, and lastly my Swooping Hawks were held in reserve.

On the opposite side, my buddy put a unit of 4 destroyers on his left flank to counter my Wraithknight, an Annihilation barge on each flank, 2 units of warriors (one in the middle, one on his far right flank), flayed ones on the far right flank and a unit of Immortals under my Hemlock in the photo. He also had a destroyer lord on his right flank, an overlord under my Hemlock & the Triarch Praetorians. He held his Monolith in reserve.

On turn one I took some pot shots, but the only real damage done was from my Hemlock flying into the immortals and killing a handful.

Bottom of Turn 2:

He got the first turn, and the supply cache ended up being on my right flank, which forced him to move everything toward it. He brought in his Monolith in front of my Fire Prism, and took out some Windriders. To counter, I moved up my jetbikes on both flanks to stall his army. I basically whittled down his forces over the next 3 turns while he returned the favor.

At the end of the battle, I had a Farseer & Autarch remaining on the point with my Fire Prism on the left flank. Squeaked out a victory that way.

Overall the game was really fun and I enjoy how fast Eldar play, especially mounted. I think although i'm painting my army as Saim-Hann, i'm going to run the army as Alaitoc, because that -1 to hit is really good and the moving and firing heavy weapons for bikes is useless since only the Vyper has a heavy weapon (which did nothing all game).

Bonus shot: My Hemlock was down to a few wounds, but at the bottom of turn 2 I flew it between his Annihilation Barge & Monolith, which had already taken a handful of wounds. Here's how I positioned it:

On turn 3 he ended up killing it. I rolled a 1 for the explode result, so I used a command point to reroll and got a 6 - took the monolith down to just a few wounds left which it died from next round from smite.

Good job, Hemlock.

Oh, I forgot to mention - the twist we pulled was Grudge Match, so morale wasn't in play for this game, which helped neuter my Hemlock some. But even still, those D-Scythe cannons are great.

I picked up a start collecting box, so i'll be adding 5 Wraithguard to my army along with a warwalker. I also picked up a 2nd fighter, which i'm going to run as a Crimson Hunter Exarch. My goal is to pick up some extra stuff to slap down in place of that Wraithknight.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

I had an unfortunate realisation.

Celestine is both a character and a unit and as such capable of baselocking an enemy.

How so?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Got a return game this week against a Catachan list. Last time we played neither of us had our codexes. What do I need to be careful of when playing them.
Will probably take this list mainly cos it's nearly all painted and I'm trying to see if it works (my second game with it)

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [63 PL, 1110pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: World Eaters

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Khorne

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Khorne

+ Heavy Support +

Defiler [11 PL, 189pts]: Mark of Khorne, Reaper autocannon, Twin heavy flamer

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings [9 PL, 183pts]: 6. Exalted Champion, Hellforged sword, Khorne, Talisman of Burning Blood, Warlord, Warp bolter

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 83pts]: Mark of Khorne, Plasma pistol, Power maul

+ Elites +

Chaos Decimator [8 PL, 210pts]: 2x Soulburner petard

Helbrute [7 PL, 147pts]: Mark of Khorne, Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

+ Fast Attack +

Blood Slaughterer of Khorne [9 PL, 180pts]: Impaler harpoon

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [5 PL, 75pts]: Mark of Khorne
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 3x Marine w/ Boltgun
. Marine w/ heavy weapon: Heavy bolter

Khorne Berzerkers [9 PL, 146pts]: Icon of Wrath
. Berzerker Champion: Bolt pistol, Chainaxe
. 7x Chainaxe and bolt pistol: 7x Chainaxe

Khorne Berzerkers [9 PL, 143pts]: 7x Chainsword and bolt pistol, Icon of Wrath
. Berzerker Champion: Bolt pistol, Power axe

++ Total: [80 PL, 1500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Celestine and the geminae are a single unit and each have the character tag and they're a large enough unit at 3 models to baselock something, so you could nominate her for the praetorian plate, use her regular and act of faith moves for a turn one charge, baselock someone, use the plate on their turn then drop everything in when it comes to your turn.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Celestine and the geminae are a single unit and each have the character tag and they're a large enough unit at 3 models to baselock something, so you could nominate her for the praetorian plate, use her regular and act of faith moves for a turn one charge, baselock someone, use the plate on their turn then drop everything in when it comes to your turn.

Ah, so by "baselock" you mean surround a specific model and prevent them from escaping. That sounds like fun.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ah, so by "baselock" you mean surround a specific model and prevent them from escaping. That sounds like fun.

Yeah, only takes one since they cant move out of unit coherence.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

omg

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Finished off some Tempestus Scions last night. Took a picture and noticed that there was a slight mistake where some blue highlight had snuck onto the gun barrel of one dude. Too late to do anything about it but no problem, I left him on the desk to fix today.

Completely forgot about him until just now because he wasn't on my desk. Presumably that means the cat's had him, although I've checked all the usual places things end up when he plays with them and no Scion so far. I'm hoping he's not eaten him - I don't think it's doable (probably too big) but it's a concern.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope they make a guide for converting your own Ravenor out of a deodorant stick.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

Finished off some Tempestus Scions last night. Took a picture and noticed that there was a slight mistake where some blue highlight had snuck onto the gun barrel of one dude. Too late to do anything about it but no problem, I left him on the desk to fix today.

Completely forgot about him until just now because he wasn't on my desk. Presumably that means the cat's had him, although I've checked all the usual places things end up when he plays with them and no Scion so far. I'm hoping he's not eaten him - I don't think it's doable (probably too big) but it's a concern.

My dog ate a package full of warmachine figures the posty had left on my door step. :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Serotonin posted:

My dog ate a package full of warmachine figures the posty had left on my door step. :(

Does he have a pair?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Serotonin posted:

This is why you don't feed your dog people toys. Once they've had a taste they can't be trusted.

Does it sit and beg while you paint?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Had a nice game last night against my buddy's Dark Angels where the bored-out-of-their-minds wife and kids of a Magic player milled around our table, kids attempting to climb it and poking at models while their mom yelled at them vaguely but never actually told them to stop, nor did she ever actually address us at all or ask if it was cool if they watched. I yell at little kids in front of their parents all the time at work and it was taking every fiber of my being not to here. Ultimately I ended up conceding turn 2 when they just couldn't get the hint and I could no longer concentrate. When one of the kids asked how the game was going and I told them I was losing a little girl said "he always loses" and a little boy said "you should try harder", which was cool. There were like 4 or 5 of them.

Of course I hold nothing against the kids for seeing cool little toys and wanting to play with them, but who brings their family to a game store and just has them wait for hours while you finish a game? Who lets their kids crawl over someone else's poo poo and doesn't even look them in the eye or apologize? Really should have said something but didn't want to cause trouble for the shop.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

That's a cool game mat, is it official GW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are Fallen Dark Angels armies a thing? I was reading the CSM codex and couldn't figure out if you could take Fallen as your <LEGION> or what that would mean.