Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Duke Igthorn posted:

That can't be real, there's a loving cerval on his chest.

The plot of the book is actually that a company named Serval Industries buys the rights to use the X-Factor name and goes and hires a bunch of mutants to be their corporate super team. So yes, there is a serval on his chest, by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TwoPair posted:

The plot of the book is actually that a company named Serval Industries buys the rights to use the X-Factor name and goes and hires a bunch of mutants to be their corporate super team. So yes, there is a serval on his chest, by design.

This sounds like a terrible version of the fun thing in X-Statix (before they were called that) when they took the name X-Force and said if the other team that had used it had been smarter they would have copyrighted the name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jerusalem posted:

This sounds like a terrible version of the fun thing in X-Statix (before they were called that) when they took the name X-Force and said if the other team that had used it had been smarter they would have copyrighted the name.

Both were written by a guy named Peter.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

It's actually pretty good, also funny. But it's a PAD book, so comedy is to be expected.

Also at the end when the book was canceled, it was revealed that the CEO of Serval was actually some friend of Spider-Man 2099's from the future. Presumably this is a plot point that would have picked up in Spider-Man 2099's book but it kinda just... didn't.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 28, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Yes. When he was called out on the joke Tieri said it wasn't intended to be homophobic it was just an innocent homage.

I absolutely don't buy it. I mean I buy he lifted the joke, but not that it was homage. I mean, in the movie *everyone* knows Sam Diamond is actually gay (or at least bi) and he keeps denying it.

quote:

Tess Skeffington: Twain picked up Sam in a gay bar.
Sam Diamond: I was workin' a case!!!
Tess Skeffington: Oh, Sam - every night for six months?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TwoPair posted:

But it's a PAD book, so comedy is to be expected.

Oh if it's Peter David then my objection is withdrawn, that dude can write good comedy.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It wasn't a perfect series-- like a lot of PAD things he paces his plots as if he's going to be allowed to write a Hulk-length epic, and so a lot of stuff either never plays itself out or does so in a hyper-accelerated way out of nowhere-- but it was pretty fun and well worth checking out. My main beef with it was that the goggles made everyone look like Aaron Stack.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It's pretty sad when someone manages to go lower than Ennis.

To be fair, Ennis would absolutely (and has) made the same joke about characters he didn't like.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Android Blues posted:

To be fair, Ennis would absolutely (and has) made the same joke about characters he didn't like.

Yeah, Ennis' ideas about masculinity are very 1950s, but in this particular exchange, shooting Wolverine in the dick and having him get beat up by midgets (that happened, right, it wasn't a fever dream I had?) is still the high road compared to "gay".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i wasnt particularly thrilled with the gay robin arc he did in the boys. like you could tell he was writing it in a way that he thought was paying lip service towards sensitivity but it was still really cringeworthy to read

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you were thrilled with any part of the boys please don't share it with others

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay you got me there lol but you know what i mean

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you were thrilled with any part of the boys please don't share it with others

I was pretty thrilled when it was over and we didn't have to carry it anymore.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

The best part of The Boys was when I was playing a poker game in a friend's apartment building shared "game room" and noticed someone had left the entire collected edition graphic novels on the "leave your old paperbacks here" bookshelf. I was looking forward to the shitstorm when someone's kid found the things, but I don't think it ever happened.

Better The Boys than Crossed, I guess.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Back when I was working at a thrift shop we did get a bunch of old comics from the seventies to the nineties in, there was an issue of The Boys in there that a little kid tried to buy.

EDIT: ,^^^ Sorry to disappoint you but I did stop his mother from buying it for him and the kid walked out with an old Avengers comic instead.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 28, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

does forums poster Wangsbig still have Love Sausage as his avatar

because that is pretty good entirely out of context

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I was thrilled with all the parts he stole from Marshal Law.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i like the thing completely unrelated to the story itself where ennis is building a little multiverse where characters from hitman show up in punisher max and characters from max cameo in the boys

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, Ennis' ideas about masculinity are very 1950s, but in this particular exchange, shooting Wolverine in the dick and having him get beat up by midgets (that happened, right, it wasn't a fever dream I had?) is still the high road compared to "gay".

I don't remember the midgets, but he did park a steamroller on top of Wolvie to keep him still for a while, which I think is pretty cool.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

I don't remember the midgets, but he did park a steamroller on top of Wolvie to keep him still for a while, which I think is pretty cool.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I'm sorry. I can suspend my disbelief to accept the notion that a man in a cat suit can put an arm bar on a Herald of Galactus, that a super assasin can come up with a plan that lets him fight a man who can run faster than light or that a newspaper publisher can take on a government run killing program and expose it and not get killed himself.

But I cannot imagine any sort of scenrio in which Frank Castle is lamenting how useless that old canuckle head is at close quarters fighting. It is entirely his thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Well I did like the arc with the group of developmentally disabled teen supers. Even if the villain of that piece was pure strain Ennis, the kids came across surprisingly maturely and respected for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was the story where the crime midgets were kidnapping people and cutting their legs off at the knee.

Jesus Christ Ennis.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Choco1980 posted:

Well I did like the arc with the group of developmentally disabled teen supers. Even if the villain of that piece was pure strain Ennis, the kids came across surprisingly maturely and respected for him.

Yeah individually there was still some problematic poo poo but they're the only team in the whole series where members legitimately care about each other and actually attempt to do good

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

That was the story where the crime midgets were kidnapping people and cutting their legs off at the knee.

And then dressed them up as garden gnomes..

But it was a lot of fun:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 28, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Question IRL posted:

But I cannot imagine any sort of scenrio in which Frank Castle is lamenting how useless that old canuckle head is at close quarters fighting. It is entirely his thing.
Well he's a filthy loving mutant, what do you expect

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I look at that and I don't see how he's not going to eat dirt in the next panel. His center of gravity is way ahead of his feet, and his right foot is behind his left leg so he's going to trip there.

On the other hand, he's a clown, and if the next panel is a wonderful pratfall combined with the bucket of clown 'vomit' flying then well yeah that makes sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

I'm sorry. I can suspend my disbelief to accept the notion that a man in a cat suit can put an arm bar on a Herald of Galactus, that a super assasin can come up with a plan that lets him fight a man who can run faster than light or that a newspaper publisher can take on a government run killing program and expose it and not get killed himself.

Wait, which one's that?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Such great heights

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Wait, which one's that?

JJJ has done it multiple times. During Daredevil: Fall from Grace, the Bugle ran am expose about Nuke and the Weapons plus program he was a part of.

And during Operation Zero Tolerance, JJJ not only told Bastion to suck a gently caress, he then helped expose it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JJJ employs a superhero, he'll be fine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

JJJ has done it multiple times. During Daredevil: Fall from Grace, the Bugle ran am expose about Nuke and the Weapons plus program he was a part of.

And during Operation Zero Tolerance, JJJ not only told Bastion to suck a gently caress, he then helped expose it.

The best JJJ stories are when he's a little less cartoonishly evil, and a bit more of a principled journalist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/tambourine/status/519552101954113536

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aoWVRhgEqI

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The best JJJ stories are when he's a little less cartoonishly evil, and a bit more of a principled journalist.

Nah, the best is when he turns Mac Gargan into a super villain.

I love Ditko’s version of the characters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best version of jjj is iron jonah

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Obviously.

The runner up is what they're discussing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Iron Jonah rules, but after revisiting the shoddily made cartoons from the sixties, I think I like this Jonah too.

https://youtu.be/lUGSjaci6jo?t=13m34s

His reaction to the disguise failing kills me every time. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Artsygrrl posted:

Iron Jonah rules, but after revisiting the shoddily made cartoons from the sixties, I think I like this Jonah too.

https://youtu.be/lUGSjaci6jo?t=13m34s

His reaction to the disguise failing kills me every time. :newlol:

I've got to use Spidey's line when I'm too busy at work.

"I'd like to help, but I'm busy collecting rhinos today."