Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

1stGear posted:

This is gibberish and it angers me that someone was paid to write it and someone else was paid to say "Yeah, that's acceptable."

Seems pretty accurate to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It reads like someone who is trying to come up with a unique simile and instead produced a phrase that means nothing, which is particularly galling when the "Celeste is like playing a musical instrument" he used 10 seconds prior is perfectly servicable.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

whoops, my simile about the videogame accidentally just described an increasingly common incident of terrorism!

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Taking a break from 8-B, I remembered an area that I previously thought was where a crystal heart was, but I couldn't reach it. Using the newly learned thing, I managed to reach this, which opened as a secret room but there doesn't seem to be anything here.

E: drat... I turned on assist mode just to see if there was anything higher up hidden in the spikes, and now my file has an assist stamp on it. Silly me.

Asclepius fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 29, 2018

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Tim Rogers often likes to write long, rambling pieces about nothing except maybe sometimes how a video game is and mostly about how Tim Rogers is a cool guy who wants you to know that he has sex and lives in Japan and was in a band.

Tim Rogers is a bad writer.

Edit: Celeste, however, is very very good game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Asclepius posted:

Taking a break from 8-B, I remembered an area that I previously thought was where a crystal heart was, but I couldn't reach it. Using the newly learned thing, I managed to reach this, which opened as a secret room but there doesn't seem to be anything here.

E: drat... I turned on assist mode just to see if there was anything higher up hidden in the spikes, and now my file has an assist stamp on it. Silly me.

yeah I keep a second assist mode file for messing with stuff, there is at least one area in the game where they previously had secrets that ended up moving (ch1 heart) so I imagine that's the case here too.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I def have found a ton of lil nooks that I Totally Thought There Was A Secret and there wasn't.

I personally wouldn't feel bad for looking at level maps for strawberries, I feel like more of the challenge is getting the thing, not to it.

and i dunno, I feel like the idea of driving a sportscar through a mall without hitting anything is accurate to the tightness of playing Celeste

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Yay b-sides done. Oh. Oh... :unsmigghh:

Remember that time in the switch thread I raised concerns about having to do levels without dying. Hahhhhh

Asclepius fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 29, 2018

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The springs were incredibly kind to me on this attempt for my final berry.

https://twitter.com/ZaggitzSA/status/957783993016926208

https://twitter.com/ZaggitzSA/status/957784383380897792

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The final boss music is stuck in my head.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Oh I'll just try one more screen before bed whoops now it's 3am!

I was already anticipating this for the gameplay alone. That there not only is writing but it's pretty good is such a nice bonus!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Got home and continued 4B, definitely hard parts but ultimately not as nearly frustrating as when I gave up last night. Only 500 something deaths compared to over 600 for 3B :toot:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

japtor posted:

Got home and continued 4B, definitely hard parts but ultimately not as nearly frustrating as when I gave up last night. Only 500 something deaths compared to over 600 for 3B :toot:

4B has been the hardest for me so far, though a big part of that was the fact that I'm really bad at getting the highest jump off of bouncy clouds.

5B was relaxing by comparison

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Regy Rusty posted:

4B has been the hardest for me so far, though a big part of that was the fact that I'm really bad at getting the highest jump off of bouncy clouds.

the remix for the chapter 5 music is just too smooth to be anything but relaxed

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SeXReX posted:

the remix for the chapter 5 music is just too smooth to be anything but relaxed

Yeah that's my favorite track in the game so far

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

I was having lots of trouble with the clouds until I suddenly realized the highest jump comes from pressing the button when the cloud is at max extension rather than max compression, in direct contravention of standard video game spring mechanics.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inferior Third Season posted:

I was having lots of trouble with the clouds until I suddenly realized the highest jump comes from pressing the button when the cloud is at max extension rather than max compression, in direct contravention of standard video game spring mechanics.

Yeah I did figure this out and it made it a little easier but for some reason I'm still just really bad at timing it. I think part of the problem is that there's a huge amount of variation on the height you can get, and especially in 4B all the clouds in question were pink so you only get one shot and then you're dead.

Anyway I made it so no more of that for... well one level I guess :geno:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I loving hate the clouds in this game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Played chapters 6, 7 and 8 in one long session last night. Amazing. Took on 3-B today. 179 deaths for that one, probably about least 60 of which were one, small screen. Still have a number of strawberries to find and I am missing the hearts for chapters 5 and 7.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Did 2 and 3 B this morning, gonna take a break and tackle 4B sometime in the evening. The 3B remix was sick

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
With regards to music talk, 3-B's music was so good that I immediately went and bought the B-sides album. I think I could have taken 3x as many lives as I did on that chapter and I wouldn't have minded because it just means more time listening to the soundtrack.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
8-B is all I hoped it would be , gently caress lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

6B destroyed me.... but i beat it

Can I make it to the end???

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Not sure I should even ask but...are there collectibles in the B-sides?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Steam forums are a magical place...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think the b sides have collectibles, no

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No, thank god. It's just a straight run of pure hardcore platforming to the end where you get a red crystal heart.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
164 deaths for chapter 4-B, so chapter 3 is still my highest B-side death count. I was sure I died more times than that though, some of those screens were very difficult.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well... Technically you unlock a single collectible in every b side later on. But it's not hard to find, it's just nearly impossible to collect.(Not counting the red crystal hearts)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Finished the main game. B sides can gently caress off for a day or two.

Final Game Verdict:

:krad:

Complaints:

Game crashed on literally the last room, making me go back like a dozen rooms :argh:

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 29, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
AMA with the devs happened earlier
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7tuubc/hey_were_the_dev_team_behind_celeste_ask_us/

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's not on spotify yet but you can stream the B-SIDES music here:

https://radicaldreamland.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-b-sides

god drat what a treato

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

All I have left of the red hearts is 6 7 and 8, but after an entire day of doing 2-5 I think I'm gonna hold off until tomorrow.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I think I found my new ringtone.

Track 3, the part that starts at 5:52 in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUx1WkzxG4&t=352s

This soundtrack is so loving dope.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

alf_pogs posted:

it's not on spotify yet but you can stream the B-SIDES music here:

https://radicaldreamland.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-b-sides

god drat what a treato
Haven't got to the b-sides yet but my friend did the music for 3-B

It Owns, and I can't wait to hear it in context

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Dancer posted:

Steam forums are a magical place...

"I bought this game just so I could review it to stick it to the libs" is still the only negative steam review

I almost want to like, interview them to hear what part of the story they think is some kind of SJW brainwashing attempt? a woman existing? People of Color?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there are literally no white men in it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i've completed the game and b-sides up through chapter 6 and i gotta say chapter 8 was loving amazing. this game is great

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

The chapter 4 blue heart was a great reference.

thank you, Nintendo Secrets :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does the story continue in the optional content (b-sides, etc)?