Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

docbeard posted:

For the first time ever, I want to watch The West Wing.

I watched two episodes a few days ago just to see some parables and there is already a stark difference between expectations vs reality that its just outright comical.

I wouldn't invest in it. I dropped it like a hot potato.

What's funny is that there was already an expectation on what being presidential meant, and apparently that includes smiting your foes with Thor's hammer because they shot your naval doctor's helicopter down even though you saw him a day ago.

I'm betting 100% that it got emmies or whatever because of the walk and talk shots that were just so radical but they talk so fast that nobody can really keep up with what the plot, if any, was for the episode~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Reverend Dr posted:

Republicans are the party of old money; Dems are the party of new money.

they asked about the original point of the democrats and that certainly wasn't the case at the party's foundation, whether you place their birth in the 1800 election, 1824 / 1828 with Jackson, or some nebulous later date

hard to characterize a bizarre coalition of southern slaveowners & northern workers / Catholic immigrants the party of new money

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Reverend Dr posted:

Republicans are the party of old money; Dems are the party of new money.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Wait...do democrats have stupid brains or do they not have any brains? I need clarification.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

I watched two episodes a few days ago just to see some parables and there is already a stark difference between expectations vs reality that its just outright comical.

I wouldn't invest in it. I dropped it like a hot potato.

What's funny is that there was already an expectation on what being presidential meant, and apparently that includes smiting your foes with Thor's hammer because they shot your naval doctor's helicopter down even though you saw him a day ago.

I'm betting 100% that it got emmies or whatever because of the walk and talk shots that were just so radical but they talk so fast that nobody can really keep up with what the plot, if any, was for the episode~

I actually did watch the first episode some time ago. It was all right.

I actually remember liking Spin City back in the day, though that might just be my general goodwill toward anything involving Michael J. Fox.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

has bernie bothered to visit the south yet for 2020

he had a talk with rev william barber planned at duke but got postponed due to the shutdown vote

it sold out in 10 minutes

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Democrats were the original racist party. Not to say the republicans were opposed to them, or "anti-racist," just that they had aims that were focused on capitalism and the racism was just a side-benefit. Whereas all of Democrat policy is focused on racism (usually more of it).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Democrats were the original racist party. Not to say the republicans were opposed to them, or "anti-racist," just that they had aims that were focused on capitalism and the racism was just a side-benefit. Whereas all of Democrat policy is focused on racism (usually more of it).

You are consistently the dumbest person on this forum

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mother's child is mad again

https://twitter.com/jjz1600/status/957825752468262913

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
you'd do a lot better actually reading about early political history in the US than asking for glib summaries of the democrats' original purpose

the original southern democrats were extremely focused on capitalism. i recommend walter johnson's River of Dark Dreams for further reading on this or, failing that since boko haram is the motto here in this poo poo thread for morons, read Gabriel Winant's excellent review of the book here

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lol new dem voices

give me an example of a new fresh dem voice that doesn't parrot the latest shill talking point for the neoliberals

swear to god if daou says joe kennedy

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You are consistently the dumbest person on this forum

The "solid south" I guess didn't exist in your world did it?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i mean, maybe 'new dem voices' means New Democrat voices

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

lol new dem voices

give me an example of a new fresh dem voice that doesn't parrot the latest shill talking point for the neoliberals

hmmmm....... malia obama?????

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

he had a talk with rev william barber planned at duke but got postponed due to the shutdown vote

it sold out in 10 minutes

barber owns

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GalacticAcid posted:

i mean, maybe 'new dem voices' means New Democrat voices

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

New Dems are the party of new money.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

West Wing is damaging in the same way Law and Order is - it presents this idealized narrative of how things work and how the pure pristine incorruptible process always works out for the best. You never see McCoy hiding exculpatory evidence because he wants to keep his stats up

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lastgirl posted:

lol new dem voices

its actually brllary smlinton, a Latina organizer from Cedar Rapids.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They were both racist business parties, but the Dems were the REALLY racist business party.

this is, uh, not accurate

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

At least Malia is pro-weed

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They were both racist business parties, but the Dems were the REALLY racist business party.

Dinesh, you're gay.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

West Wing is damaging in the same way Law and Order is - it presents this idealized narrative of how things work and how the pure pristine incorruptible process always works out for the best. You never see McCoy hiding exculpatory evidence because he wants to keep his stats up

Law and Order loving sucks, if the West Wing is anything like it, then I'm glad I don't watch that trash.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The "solid south" I guess didn't exist in your world did it?

I never really got into the Metal Gear franchise.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
democratic party rising star idea: a guy who drives for uber and tells you about how he only does this on the side and has hundreds of thousands invested in bitcoin

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Law and Order loving sucks, if the West Wing is anything like it, then I'm glad I don't watch that trash.

Law and Order and the West Wing are both hour-long live-action television programs set in the (at the time of airing) conteporary United States.

I have now told you everything that Law and Order and The West Wing have in common.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zegermans posted:

Dinesh, you're gay.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
peter daouishly:] bernie is elbowing one of the democratic constellations :negative: . they were going to be meteoric

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Think of that infamous Lee Atwater quote, and realize that democrats have been saying the same thing but for their entire existence, but instead of friend of the family, it's Colored People then People of Color, then Super Predators and Welfare Queens. Meanwhile they are first to support legislation that targets those "problems." Gun Control, War on Drugs, Crime Bill, Welfare Reform.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
daouishly:] bernie just dropkicked democratic star Vega who could've had a chance to rise and talk about dollar sign emojis on cable jsalekra;ljkfa

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Think of that infamous Lee Atwater quote, and realize that democrats have been saying the same thing but for their entire existence, but instead of friend of the family, it's Colored People then People of Color, then Super Predators and Welfare Queens. Meanwhile they are first to support legislation that targets those "problems." Gun Control, War on Drugs, Crime Bill, Welfare Reform.

We just hit peak woke

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

docbeard posted:

I never really got into the Metal Gear franchise.

Me either. The gameplay is bad, and who cares about some dumb story if the gameplay is bad.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cough drops are not candy :cripes:

"cough drops are far healthier than the typical sweet," proclaims frontrunner Joe Kennedy III

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

readingatwork posted:

It occurs to me that if you truly want to understand the Democrat’s strategy of chasing Republican votes is all you need to do is flip the “D”s and “R”s and ask yourself if the strategy would work for Republicans. Would you’d vote for Mitt Romney over Elizabeth Warren if he was ok with medical marijuana? Or Rick Santorum over Bernie Sanders if he offered to make college textbooks free for business majors? Would you vote for Jeff Sessions if he was a black trans lesbian?

Of course not. And neither would Republicans either because by trying to please two fundamentally opposed groups you make yourself a credible standard bearer for neither. It’s really, really obvious when you think about it.

The leadership of the Democratic party are what used to be called Rockefeller Republicans. Financially conservative, socially conscientious wealthy urbanites. They continuously court "Panera Bread" Republicans because that is who they want to represent, that's who they want to be the party of. They'd much rather shave enough wealthy, moderate racists off of the Republican base so they would never have to talk to a uncultured worker or far too "ethnic" brown person ever again.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lawman 0 posted:

We just hit peak woke

Oh forgot about the fugitive slave laws, the root of modern policing.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

has anyone said that the Dems are afflicted with Daou Syndrome yet

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

barber owns

indeed he does and i hope when they reschedule they move it to a bigger venue

duke chapel holds like 1500 or something, but clearly they underestimated interest in the event

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bernie has been going on sunday shows whenever he got the chance for like years lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

you mother get up come on get daou with the sickness
you fucker get up come on get daou with the sickness
verify your tweet and let it post into me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tell us about the plantation

• Locked thread