Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Schultz might be the dumbest Soc Dem party leader in all of western Europe right now, and that's saying a lot. Hope they kick him out and replace him with somebody competent.

If there was ever any proof needed that the EU attracts only the least visionary and most of incompetent of politicians, we have Schultz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

forkboy84 posted:

Does he just want to finally kill off the SPD? Is Martin Schulz secretly a Trot infiltrator finally getting revenge on the party for murdering Rosa and Karl? Or is he just another dumb and venal third way neoliberal who is too short sighted to see people's growing frustration with the SPD continually propping up the CDU?

Don't answer that, let me dream this is all an elaborate accelerationist plan.

Schultz and the SPD are maybe not the last, but certainly the last great highlight, of these awful centrist, third-way, Schroeder-Clinton-Blair-Kok parties who are utterly unmoored from the people the nominally represent, but who really love and are part of the professional managerial class. Of course they'll go along with the CDU in yet another Grand Coalition and I hope to God it finishes them off like it did the Dutch Labour party. Only if the second-rate guardians of a creditors paradise (to use Mark Blyth's term) die off can we create something better.

Also Schultz is an unbelievably vain egomaniac who needs to hear that he has power and is loved by millions, so being in government next to Merkel gives him a raging hardon.

So in that sense, it's short term pain in exchange for accelerationism.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
e. Misread, nevermind.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Junior G-man posted:

Schultz and the SPD are maybe not the last, but certainly the last great highlight, of these awful centrist, third-way, Schroeder-Clinton-Blair-Kok parties who are utterly unmoored from the people the nominally represent, but who really love and are part of the professional managerial class.

What about Macron?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kassad posted:

What about Macron?

He's just a straight up liberal.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Lol I just remembered that another grand coalition means that the AfD would be the largest opposition party. That will surely end well for Germany and everyone else.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This is funny.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42772609

quote:

The mayor of Venice has voiced outrage over the €1,100 (£970; $1,347) bill that four Japanese tourists say they had to pay for four steaks, a plate of fried fish, water and service.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

why didn't they check the prices out before ordering?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

When in doubt, assume the dumbest option is true.

...Schultz has been dead since 2017 and this has actually been Merkel in a fake beard the whole time?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

large adult son posted:

Maybe they forgot the order of magnitude difference between yen and euros?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Tesseraction posted:

Maybe they forgot the order of magnitude difference between yen and euros?

1000 yen is like 8 euros,they must have though they found a really really low cost restaurant.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe it was just a lovely scam designed specifically to prey on naive tourists, because there's no goddamn way a steak should ever be that expensive.

300 euro per person is around what you could reasonably expect to pay for two- or three-Michelin star meals in some places.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

large adult son posted:

Venice is notorious for scams like Fillet Steak: 30eur*

* per 25g

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

It says they are students in Bologna, so I doubt there was any "Oh, ¥300 for a steak? What a bargain!" confusion.

lovely tourist trap restaurants like that are everywhere. They're very friendly and will just start bringing you drinks and recommending food without showing a menu, then slap you with a ridiculous bill. An acquaintance of mine got stung by one of these places in Prague a few years ago. He was hungry and wandered into a place near his hotel where the waitress was very attentive and immediately brought him a beer and recommended an entree without ever giving him a menu. After two glasses of crappy beer and some chicken that was heated up in the microwave he got a bill for the Kč equivalent of €50.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Good ol' Venetia, some things never change.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The_Franz posted:

It says they are students in Bologna, so I doubt there was any "Oh, ¥300 for a steak? What a bargain!" confusion.

lovely tourist trap restaurants like that are everywhere. They're very friendly and will just start bringing you drinks and recommending food without showing a menu, then slap you with a ridiculous bill. An acquaintance of mine got stung by one of these places in Prague a few years ago. He was hungry and wandered into a place near his hotel where the waitress was very attentive and immediately brought him a beer and recommended an entree without ever giving him a menu. After two glasses of crappy beer and some chicken that was heated up in the microwave he got a bill for the Kč equivalent of €50.

There's hustles everywhere.

My favorite ploy was talking my group into walking several blocks from this Roman train station then turning around toward the station before hailing a cab for the Colosseum. I unbuttoned my shirt some, too, and hammed up my appreciation of the cab's AC a little. We paid like six euros, I think. It was pretty reasonable.

Another group walked straight to a cab from the station, looking all fresh and air conditioned. They paid like twenty euros.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 28, 2018

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I'm here in Barcelona and no wonder this independence trash isn't going anywhere. Its all plastic flags and yellow ribbons, if you didn't know its almost as nothing happened or is happening. No real spirit, or effort. Sad!

I did spot a true patriot though, dressed up in the Catalan flag from head to toe, holding a flag in each hand and singing, I think, the Catalan anthem. That dude had a look in his face of pure bliss(Super drunk). Rock on old man, keep fighting the good fight.

Also the food sucks! How can a country stuck between Portugal and France, be this lame in the kitchen. Get this tapas poo poo out of here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Electronico6 posted:

Also the food sucks! How can a country stuck between Portugal and France, be this lame in the kitchen. Get this tapas poo poo out of here.

Jesus Christ, just look at how many ways a single short paragraph can be wrong.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

Jesus Christ, just look at how many ways a single short paragraph can be wrong.

Its all same lame rear end dishes and the same poo poo. You eat one paella you ate them all, and its all there is in every corner.

Also compared to Portugal, and France, you pay way too much for less food served.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
:psyduck: Just get out of the loving Ramblas, man.

Also, that rice dish they served you in a paella is not a Paella.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Electronico6 posted:

Its all same lame rear end dishes and the same poo poo. You eat one paella you ate them all, and its all there is in every corner.

Also compared to Portugal, and France, you pay way too much for less food served.

Sorry, you were scammed.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

I second the others, I think that you got scammed, multiple times from the looks of it.
Also the paella is a typical dish from Valencia, eating paellas anywhere else is a 'turistada' (=typical scam aimed at tourists).

Nevertheless I must say that if one eats what one gets usually offered in bars, i.e. tapas & etc. for 2-3 days straight your stomach will start revolting against you. No matter how delicious it is.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Nah. This aint my first, or last, trip to Spain. And what I see in Barcelona in terms of food is the same as in Ayamonte, Seville, and Madrid. Though in Ayamonte the food is still generally pretty good, must be the Guadiana. Ill take suggestions to find a cool place to eat that might change my mind. So far I found a decent tapas close that Miro park. Also im not even thinking of drinking water in Ramblas, much less eating out there.

Though really, sorry Spanish goons, but Portuguese food and service is superior. Just start my lunch with a basket of bread and more pates than I can eat or go home. :colbert:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

It’s an unpopular opinion for sure but there is definitely plenty of bad food in Spain but that’s usually in (1) tourist infested areas or (2) places where there are three bars in the whole villa and you don’t have a choice. On the other hand, there is also some really good food so sorry about your bad luck.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I tend to think Spanish food is vastly under-rated especially considering how talked about (and rightly so) French and Italian cuisine are.

I've never eaten as nice of seafood as I did in La Coruña, a town I didn't much care for, but the seafood was incredible. And CHEAP. I've yet been to Portugal, but I get the feeling they have a similar thing going for them as Galicia.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

The Council of the EU has dictated the terms of surrender adopted the EU negotiation directives for the post-Brexit transition period, taking a whole two minutes to do so. The key points are probably summed up the following:

quote:

13. In line with those guidelines, which further specify and develop the core principles laid out in
the European Council guidelines of 29 April 2017, any transitional arrangements provided for
in the Withdrawal Agreement should cover the whole of the Union acquis, including Euratom
matters. Notwithstanding paragraph 18 of these negotiating directives, the Union acquis
should apply to and in the United Kingdom as if it were a Member State. (...)

14. During the transition period, Union law covered by these transitional arrangements should
deploy in the United Kingdom the same legal effects as those which it deploys within the
Member States of the Union. This means, in particular, that the direct effect and primacy of
Union law should be preserved.

15. During the transition period, and in line with the European Council guidelines of
29 April 2017, the United Kingdom should remain bound by the obligations stemming from
the agreements concluded by the Union, or by Member States acting on its behalf, or by the
Union and its Member States acting jointly, while the United Kingdom should however no
longer participate in any bodies set up by those agreements.

In other words, when if this is agreed, until the end of the transition period (defined as 31 december 2020 at the latest), the UK will effectively remain a full EU member, except without any say at all in the running of the place.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

History keeps repeating itself...

quote:

The German government has denounced experiments funded by German carmakers in which humans and monkeys reportedly inhaled diesel exhaust fumes.

German media say the health impact research was done by EUGT, a body funded by Volkswagen, Daimler and BMW.

Such tests could not be justified, the government said, demanding details. A minister called them "abominable".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

uhhh the human experiments were actually unrelated workplace exposure level tests

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pluskut Tukker posted:

In other words, when if this is agreed, until the end of the transition period (defined as 31 december 2020 at the latest), the UK will effectively remain a full EU member, except without any say at all in the running of the place.

:allears: In other words, the UK will keep paying for most things but we get to spend it without their say. :allears:

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
We'll have to endure 6 months of the Tories saying this scenario absolutely will not come to pass first. That they'll negotiate their way out of this, drat those overreaching Eurocrats. The EU needs the UK more than vice versa etc etc.

Then of course, as on literally every single other issue that has related to Brexit so far, they'll realise the EU has stated its position and is completely inflexible on this and the UK will have to back-down and comply.

Its amusing to watch the cycle repeatedly happen.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

What could the UK do about it, anyway? Leave harder?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Deltasquid posted:

:allears: In other words, the UK will keep paying for most things but we get to spend it without their say. :allears:

this is extremely cool and good :getin:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Deltasquid posted:

Afraid not. The budgetary financial frameworks have already been decided until 2021.

It’ll be up to the remaining 27 member states to decide if the shortfall after that is dealt with by increased contributions from the remaining members or by cutting spending.

Or maybe Germany can pay for it all.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 29, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It makes sense that a period of transition is a period where they haven't fully left the EU.

As for paying, yeah, they'll keep paying for all the stuff they have signed on for paying.

There's really nothing shocking or unreasonable here. It's only a logical consequence of the UK's actions, and they will get to be fully out of the EU once the transition period is over. The transition period, by the way, is mostly for their sake so that they can try to smooth things out for their industries.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Americans unable to navigate EU cities and find good food or recognize not-poo poo restaurants are kind of funny.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Americans unable to navigate EU cities and find good food or recognize not-poo poo restaurants are kind of funny.

Dude, I'm Portuguese.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

Dude, I'm Portuguese.

I'm Spanish and Spanish food is much better than Portuguese food!

I mean what do they even eat, fish? C'mon!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Everywhere I've ever been in Europe, if you can't find good food, the problem is you, not the place you're visiting.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Elman posted:

I'm Spanish and Spanish food is much better than Portuguese food!

I mean what do they even eat, fish? C'mon!!

Wrong!!1!

We also eat pork. A lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Electronico6 posted:

Dude, I'm Portuguese.

Oh then it's fine. You are the nation which gets to make fun of Spain.