Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh lort I can't wait for those mat caps to go up. So absurd...especially when there are broken mats in the game, so it's not like you can just "get rid" of those 80 exquisite focus crystals that don't spawn any more (did they fix that?)...

I dunno, but if they did fix it then it is likely to be broken again at 3.0 release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

beta clean slate update:

it all hinges on the availability of material traders and the pin system is woefully inadequate.

Care to elaborate?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Being able to remotely engineer modules is nice I guess.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
hey I just picked this game up and after running a bunch of black box missions for about 120k each I want to buy a new ship. Are there any like, known bad ships? Like certain ones not to buy or certain ones to buy at comparative prices? I'm not looking for anything combat oriented but I just don't know if I should sink a bunch of money into upgrading a hauler or spend more on like a type-6 but not be able to buy many new parts. Sorry if this has been asked a million times or is on another page but if so can someone link me it? Thanks

edit: just found the link in the op I'm dumb and missed it!

ghosthorse fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 29, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Viper IV is a 'bad ship' til it's A-rated and lightly engineered, then it's awesome.
The various cargo ships are often poor against general purpose ships if you want to jump anywhere or do anything else.
I've never seen a use for the 'scout' variants vs just getting an equally priced combat ship.

Other than that every ship has good things about it.

The answer to the question you didn't ask though, is buy a Cobra III

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Oh god now I want to make a gimmick T10 explorer...

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It’s truly huge looking in an srv. I felt like I was underneath an apartment complex.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Khablam posted:

The Viper IV is a 'bad ship' til it's A-rated and lightly engineered, then it's awesome.
The various cargo ships are often poor against general purpose ships if you want to jump anywhere or do anything else.
I've never seen a use for the 'scout' variants vs just getting an equally priced combat ship.

Other than that every ship has good things about it.

The answer to the question you didn't ask though, is buy a Cobra III

cool thanks, I just wanted to see if there were any "this is the worst ship" kind of pitfalls to avoid

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ghosthorse posted:

cool thanks, I just wanted to see if there were any "this is the worst ship" kind of pitfalls to avoid

People will tell you it's the keelback. These people are wrong.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

People will tell you it's the keelback. These people are wrong.

Yes, the t6 is better.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh god now I want to make a gimmick T10 explorer...

I'm using it for jumponium prospecting

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s truly huge looking in an srv. I felt like I was underneath an apartment complex.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So the stick rotation went out on my T16000m. I lost the receipt so I can't RMA it. So if anybody wants to try a T16000m and thruster for considerably less than MSRP then PM me.

I think this time I'm going to try the X52. Does anybody who uses that setup have good binds they could share? Thanks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

jubjub64 posted:

So the stick rotation went out on my T16000m. I lost the receipt so I can't RMA it. So if anybody wants to try a T16000m and thruster for considerably less than MSRP then PM me.

I think this time I'm going to try the X52. Does anybody who uses that setup have good binds they could share? Thanks.

X52 has enough buttons that you can just bind them yourself and do whatever comes naturally to you! It also looks just like the virtual cockpit, so you can just copy that, if you want.

I'm still using the old Mad Catz software, so I don't think mine will be helpful to you. :smith:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

jubjub64 posted:

I'd open it up first, see if any wires have come loose on the twist pot. Could be a simple fix.

If the pot itself is hosed (they're pretty cheap and cheerful on these things) you could buy a new one for a full quid (or whatever your equivalent currency).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the X52 bindings in-game are pretty good. still can't get mouselook to work after nearly 2 years, though

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Has Saitek gotten over that shoddy workmanship reputation they had for a while?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I just can't wrap my brain around someone writing that, looking at it, reading it back to themselves and thinking "I'm comfortable with other people knowing I was paid to produce this material."

Other way around. Drew paid to write that. (Though I think he also kickstarted his kickstarter pledge)

He's now thrown his toys out of the pram because no-one cared about his second waifu making a run for Colonia (Well, GCDC had a half - baked plan to intercept her because Drew hates NuGalCop), and is now writing bad fanfiction for Lords of Midnight.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 29, 2018

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Buy a set of rudder pedals.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

tooterfish posted:

I'd open it up first, see if any wires have come loose on the twist pot. Could be a simple fix.

If the pot itself is hosed (they're pretty cheap and cheerful on these things) you could buy a new one for a full quid (or whatever your equivalent currency).

I did open it up and tried a "fix" I found which was just cleaning the contacts on the potentiometer but it made it worse. I looked for info on finding the exact part but nothing reliable showed up.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
They're taking player feedback pretty seriously it looks like.

frontier posted:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the great feedback, We're currently going through it and will use it to help rebalance some aspects of the mageship gameplay.

From what you have told us we will look into improving the following:

• Balancing the cargo amount and values to make the interactions more worth while adding inbox messages to data and material loot to make sure you guys don't miss what you have just collected

• Add High value or rare items to possible cargo bay items

• Make sure physical materials are spawning as intended from Cargo bay hacks (looks like a bug is stopping this)

• Investigate adding ID or number to cargobay and limpet target to make them more easily distinquishable from each other.

• Investigate Fines and Bounties as they seem out of proportion for crimes commited.

• Investigate if we can make silent running effect how detecable you are when commiting crimes at the megaship.

Other things that we will investigate to see how possible they are to add in the future to improve these scenarios.

• Investigate if it is possible to put out a Instance wide broadcast from the megahsip when a crime is commited to signal to Bounty hunter players that there is an active pirate in the instance.

• Design Limpet Controller Bay Module to prevent player having to use up too many slots in ship holding limpet controllers.

Thanks and we will keep you posted.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Huh that made me realize, is silent running really useful for anything anymore?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

quote:

• Investigate if it is possible to put out a Instance wide broadcast from the megahsip when a crime is commited to signal to Bounty hunter players that there is an active pirate in the instance.

This kind of stuff would be really cool. Making PVP an integrated part of the gameplay loops and not just ganking/anti-ganking for it's own sake.

Better yet would be also implementing AI to take part in new piracy activities too which solo players can respond too.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

ubering criminals

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Adding cargo space to the limpet controller so they don't just sit in general cargo hold is something I've been hoping for myself.

Very nice thing to have, if that is what they're actually doing.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hobold posted:

Adding cargo space to the limpet controller so they don't just sit in general cargo hold is something I've been hoping for myself.

Sounds to me it'd be more like a dedicated small slot for a limpet controller, so you can equip at least one or two without actually sacrificing cargo/module space.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Hobold posted:

The way it's worded I think they want to see if there's a way to have a single module that would hold multiple limpet controllers, I'm guessing working kinda like planetary vehicle hangars and fighter hangars work now.
Also I'm surprised that they seem to not only listen to feedback, but actually good feedback too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Knifegrab posted:

boar guy posted:

ubering criminals

And once C&P goes live, it'll be needed for smuggling.

Or if you want to smuggle without getting caught, either or.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knifegrab posted:

When/if your shields drop, spam it to continually break target lock so they can't easily send missiles straight up your rear end.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

You are like tiny baby.

If it don't go 8 (hundred) it don't rate. :v:

E: Build here: https://eddp.co/u/1vQRUEub

haha with that jump range you'll need to fly it to other systems directly.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

quote:

Thanks for all the great feedback, We're currently going through it and will use it to help rebalance some aspects of the mageship gameplay.

Can we get an extended mana potion bay in the T10? I keep running out when spamming magic missile.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Still waiting for the magaships.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Still waiting for the magaships.

Have you seen the Imperial Interdictor Class ships?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'll pay 60 bucks for playable ships. I mean real ships like destroyers, frigates, freighters and the like

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

jubjub64 posted:

I did open it up and tried a "fix" I found which was just cleaning the contacts on the potentiometer but it made it worse. I looked for info on finding the exact part but nothing reliable showed up.
Shame that. It'd be such a simple part to replace too.

I can just about manage soldering without burning my fingers, but I don't know enough about electronics to recommend an equivalent.

radintorov posted:

The way it's worded I think they want to see if there's a way to have a single module that would hold multiple limpet controllers, I'm guessing working kinda like planetary vehicle hangars and fighter hangars work now.
Also I'm surprised that they seem to not only listen to feedback, but actually good feedback too.
Yeah. I think the idea is to consolidate the 800 different controllers we have now. So you can use fuel, collector and basket weaving limpets using just one module slot.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

radintorov posted:

Lets wait and see how badly Braben fucks it up at the 11th hour first.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Assuming they go the route of emulating vehicle bays (which is a super great idea in any case), screwing it up could involve:

- Making the number of limpet types you can equip in a controller really restrictive

- Not letting you equip multiple controllers anymore to get around the above

- Changing limpets from cargo into ammo for the controller, but also making the limits really small so you have to frequently dock or use synthesis to restock

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would this be a sane compromise?

Fuel + Repair + Decontamination Limpets in one Field Support module

Prospector + Collector (and maybe also a refinery) in a Mining Bay module

Recon maybe separate?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

I'll pay 60 bucks for playable ships. I mean real ships like destroyers, frigates, freighters and the like

Both the Python and the Federal Corvette are used in those roles. The Python even as system defense frigate by some of the less awesome tiny powers around.

(Also you forgot the corvette. The corvette is also a ship class, or did you think the Fed Corvette was named after a car?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Hey y'all!

Just bought the deluxe edition on steam, what with the sales and all.

Thinking it'll be a bit before I'm a regular poster here, so I think I'll watch bulk instructional videos beforehand. Very keen to play though!

• Locked thread