Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

codenameFANGIO posted:

I am mad that mahjong is some kind of bizarre competitive poker game and not the Windows 98 tile-matching game.

Did no one notice this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lots of people think Shanghai is mahjong because of those games.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

an actual dog posted:

Did no one notice this

lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The mechanic in the second level of Celeste is fun as heck

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

McDragon posted:

I wish MH had fist weapons, I wanna punch a Tigrex in the face

This is a good idea and kills me that it's not a choice.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello everybody, it's Monday and I hope all of ya are having a fine day :)

What's everyone up to? Any interesting plans for the week? Regardless of your schedule, I hope all of you have a smooth and relatively stress-free time. I know I've got a lot on my plate right now that I have to sort through and a tight deadline to get it done by (mainly getting in touch with an attorney for an appeals case) and that has been stressing me out a bunch. It's frustrating because it's largely just sitting here waiting for replies back while the deadline is probably the 6th of Feb or so and bleh, I just want others to be having a better, or at least less frustrating, time.

Stay gold, everybody.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Stay gold, everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-qA-txhUk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m juggling like five pretty sizeable video games right now (Nier Automata, Bloodborne, Morrowind, Pillars of Eternity, new Final Fantasy XIV patch), odds are I don’t finish any of them. Such a bad habit

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello everybody, it's Monday and I hope all of ya are having a fine day :)

What's everyone up to? Any interesting plans for the week?

Other than juggling work time for a couple contracts and a personal project, I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach streaming. I've done it twice now, last week, and it went pretty well, but I'm streaming 3d environment art so there's lots of potential for, like, an occasional hour of really boring uv unwrapping or whatever. Streaming is fun but it's really out of my comfort zone (which is part of the fun) but that also means I'm not super great at it yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

She seems at most vaguely concerned

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

drat, and people complained about TR2013's brutal death screens.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol that freaked me out when it happened

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Macaluso posted:

The mechanic in the second level of Celeste is fun as heck

Yes, it's awesome. The game really clicked for me yesterday when I played through the second level.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mutata posted:

Other than juggling work time for a couple contracts and a personal project, I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach streaming. I've done it twice now, last week, and it went pretty well, but I'm streaming 3d environment art so there's lots of potential for, like, an occasional hour of really boring uv unwrapping or whatever. Streaming is fun but it's really out of my comfort zone (which is part of the fun) but that also means I'm not super great at it yet.

You know what helps to clear up streams that you might think are boring?

More people >:]

I and some others do streams from time to time, would you wanna come hang out in my discord and use it for stream poo poo?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Expect My Mom posted:

let me know if you learn shogi

i watched a whole anime about shogi and I still can't play it

The hardest part of learning shogi is learning a set of kanji, and then learning that set upside-down. Other than the generals, and more pieces having limited backward mobility, the piece movement is basically chess.

Knowing chess does help, the same basic tactical ideas apply in a lot of cases.

After a couple days staring at the pieces I finally memorized them and could play a really poor game of shogi. I can beat the DS Clubhouse Games AI, but not the easiest difficulty on any of the dedicated shogi games I've tried.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Chess can suck it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This is probably someone's fetish and that someone worked on the game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"probably"

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Chess can suck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t95zWq5gQe8

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

You know what helps to clear up streams that you might think are boring?

More people >:]

I and some others do streams from time to time, would you wanna come hang out in my discord and use it for stream poo poo?

This is a good reminder that I've never used Discord and I should probably check it out!

I'm not sure how much audience overlap there is between the Gaming and Creative categories on Twitch, but I'm down to try all sorts of things. :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I always found the Tomb Raider series obsession with killing Laura in increasingly disturbing ways to be very strange.

Dead Space has the same thing. Sure its supposed to be a horror game but once you get to Dead Space 2 it starts feeling uncomfortable.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The first Tomb Raider game ends with you in a flesh citadel fighting an Atlantean Goddess that made a giant fleshless legless golem baby that wants to eat you. The whole thing is very disturbing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
And what if Lara Croft died... of breast cancer?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Discount Viscount posted:

The hardest part of learning shogi is learning a set of kanji, and then learning that set upside-down. Other than the generals, and more pieces having limited backward mobility, the piece movement is basically chess.

Knowing chess does help, the same basic tactical ideas apply in a lot of cases.

After a couple days staring at the pieces I finally memorized them and could play a really poor game of shogi. I can beat the DS Clubhouse Games AI, but not the easiest difficulty on any of the dedicated shogi games I've tried.
I know more kanji than I do chess which is to say I know zero chess. I'd be super into learning both, I have picked up the general rules and movements of shogi from Shogi Anime. The ability to use the captured pieces of your opponents sounds completely insane.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I just used a shogi ai for that stuff in Yakuza but I learned mahjong and it is good as hell

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It owns that title games in shogi typically go for like a continuous ten hours

Truly the kings game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
"Heya, just wanted to let you know that the attorney that will represent if he gets your records will need to pay us if he wants access to your medical records, so now you have to get in contact with him to see if he's going to pay before representing and if he isn't then you're going to have to pay instead" fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff gently caress this dumb system of annoying poo poo, I just want SSI dammit.

Saint Freak posted:

The first Tomb Raider game ends with you in a flesh citadel fighting an Atlantean Goddess that made a giant fleshless legless golem baby that wants to eat you. The whole thing is very disturbing.

An Atlantean Goddess with a Texan accent iirc.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Taintrunner posted:

Hey I did this too except I lost dart throwing by a single throw and now I lust for death

Ask the chiropractor scene/fight is the best action cinema I’ve seen in a long time, especially since it’s right after you unlock breakdancing

It's so easy to clown the chiropractor with the Breaker Style, poor dude doesn't land a single hit on you.

My favorite action sequence still is Kiryu raiding the Dojima building tho, that was fantastic.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've always assumed that Shogi would be an incredibly slippery slope game, even more than most old board games already are, because of the mechanic of using captured pieces. Like, losing a piece both reduces your options and increases your opponent's, unlike in chess where it "merely" hurts you.

And, on a slightly related note, if you want to play the oldest board game for which we have rules, here it is:

https://www.yourturnmyturn.com/java/ur/index.php

The way they figured out the rules was by deciphering a letter some guy sent describing his house rules for a variant of the game, then using that to figure out the normal rules and checking every ancient board they had to see which one worked with those rules. The absurd thing is that the one surviving board is 4500 years old but the letter describing the rules comes from a full thousand years later. Cool stuff.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The superior board game is Go, always and forever

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Taintrunner posted:

The superior board game is Go, always and forever
Go is more hardcore than Shogi and perfect for Yakuza

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Go is great overall but having to determine who won a game by developing a gut feel for it or doing an insane amount of tedious counting suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 30, 2018

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

What's everyone up to? Any interesting plans for the week?
I'm going to put a couple more hours into the final boss in Hollow Knight, and assuming I still can't do it I'll declare defeat and move on.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Albinator posted:

I'm going to put a couple more hours into the final boss in Hollow Knight, and assuming I still can't do it I'll declare defeat and move on.

I believe in the you who believes in you :)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I quit at the second ending of Hollow Knight, having to beat the first end boss each time you want to challenge the second one was a bridge too far.

Feel like I'm getting close to the end of Pyre, which is OK because the SOTC remake is coming out next week and Monster Hunter is starting to look pretty good.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm the guy who got really good at and enjoys caravan but you can't really play caravan irl

:(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Unlocked the 8th B-Side in Celeste and I need a breather. I've put 20 hours into that game since release and I'm still hammering away at it, it's a real good buy IMO

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I always found the Tomb Raider series obsession with killing Laura in increasingly disturbing ways to be very strange.

Dead Space has the same thing. Sure its supposed to be a horror game but once you get to Dead Space 2 it starts feeling uncomfortable.

I'd say it's an adventure movie staple to have people die horrible deaths, and also an adventure game staple just look at Prince of Persia and Out of this World. Like any of the old Indiana Jones films would be a soft R if remade today but with functionally zero changes, Indie straight up shoots people in the head with bloody exit wounds.

Also Tomb Raider 2013 ain't got poo poo on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DwAaPwHT8g

FirstAidKite posted:

"Heya, just wanted to let you know that the attorney that will represent if he gets your records will need to pay us if he wants access to your medical records, so now you have to get in contact with him to see if he's going to pay before representing and if he isn't then you're going to have to pay instead" fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff gently caress this dumb system of annoying poo poo, I just want SSI dammit.

An Atlantean Goddess with a Texan accent iirc.

It should only be a couple bucks, they are literally xeroxing these things. If a physician charges you more for a copy of your records beyond what you could do at the library then something is fishy.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

goferchan posted:

Unlocked the 8th B-Side in Celeste and I need a breather. I've put 20 hours into that game since release and I'm still hammering away at it, it's a real good buy IMO

I made the mistake of starting the 7th one before any of the others

Now I'm trapped here until I can finish it, I've made it too far to drop out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I finished Danganronpa v3 about a week ago and I still got the monokub theme stuck in my head

• Locked thread