Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Not sure why I have pictures of Pendragon saved on an old hard drive, but here i am, with pictures of pendragon saved on an old hard drive vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I try playing Shaco but not having one of my summoners be flash feels SO WRONG.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

duck trucker posted:

I try playing Shaco but not having one of my summoners be flash feels SO WRONG.

Just take Flash anyway, it's still good. You can forego it if you are a Shaco OT but if you are a Shaco OT you should instead isolate yourself from humankind instead

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i remember someone at riot said all the drakes are currently pretty balanced (taking them will make you win more the same amount) but ive always wondered how true that is. like is it just that the drakes are actually meaningless and the teams that are able to take them are already winning a certain amount, or is the value of all the drakes actually equal?

i feel like i ignore cloud/ocean drakes most of the time, especially after like 10m but i wonder if thats really the correct choice

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Getting a single ocean drake later in the game is the only weak one imo, but if you can get two or three the regen becomes strong enough to help you push after a close fight when you'd normally have to back and regroup. People definitely undervalue both it and cloud.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Given how important move speed is in every other aspect of the game, even when only out of combat, I’m not sure why it gets downplayed when attached to a drake.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Cloud drakes are good because I can just not buy boots and instead buy more damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Junji Eat More posted:

Given how important move speed is in every other aspect of the game, even when only out of combat, I’m not sure why it gets downplayed when attached to a drake.

Depends a lot on team comp. If you want to do a lot of splitpushing into rotations for vision control and objectives, Cloud's great. If you're looking to group as 5 and clobber people or run a siege comp, it's not great. Mostly it gets downplayed because Ocean is extremely strong for the first 10-15 minutes of the game, while Infernal and Mountain are nuts with the right comp. If you run a comp with someone that does high DPS and get even a single Mountain on your side, you can rush down Baron in seconds and get away completely for free.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
ocean drakes are good and in skirmishes and teamfights if you have like 3 of them it's almost like having constant mini redemptions and they also own in lane

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I like ocean drakes a ton if you get it early on. Never having to recall is great. As is the extra ms allowing you to get picks or escape when you wouldn't otherwise. I'm one of the people who ran 4.5% movespeed runes in the old system so I guess cloud drakes are my best friend.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Radical posted:

i remember someone at riot said all the drakes are currently pretty balanced (taking them will make you win more the same amount) but ive always wondered how true that is. like is it just that the drakes are actually meaningless and the teams that are able to take them are already winning a certain amount, or is the value of all the drakes actually equal?

i feel like i ignore cloud/ocean drakes most of the time, especially after like 10m but i wonder if thats really the correct choice

They probably provide a roughly equivalent gold value of stats. Obviously the stats themselves are more or less useful at various points in different games depending on team comp, which drakes have spawned (3 of any drake is probably more useful than 1 of 3 different kinds), and other factors.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
every single drake is good because each drake you get powers up the Chaos Dragon buff, which ends games extremely hard if you force a fight with it. like other people said though ocean is the only one that is not worth fighting over if you are at a disadvantage lategame.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
When should I be taking the rift herald as top lane. I've always left it up to the jungle like I do dragon and nashor, but today was the first time I actually saw it in action and it looked incredibly amazing. Can I solo it at any point. I'm usually either Urgot or Illaoi, if that matters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anything mountain feels like the weakest since 90% of the time if you're taking a tower you would have taken it without the damage boost anyway, it only really helps in the early game when you're getting a few hits on a tower after a kill or later in the game when splitpushing. this is my silver 1 analysis.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Mountain is for taking baron quickly, the extra damage to turrets is just a side benefit.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i dont think ive seen the large dragon spawn in months, most games tend to end pretty decisively before that. im mostly interested in more fine grain statistics about the dragons i think, it isnt really a mystery why an ocean drake could be helpful or whatever im just curious to know if getting a single ocean drake at 25 minutes or whatever is actually making meaningful differences.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

it does but the granularity aspect of it matters too in that instead of getting a tower you choose to do dragon, and ranking towers to dragons right now is harder than ever due to the cumulative effect of dragons so who knows in 2018. i was able to find win percent after first dragon but that does not really mean much because that is just "win percent after you make a giant winning trade botlane and force them to abandon the lane long enough for you to get dragon"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

misguided rage posted:

Mountain is for taking baron quickly, the extra damage to turrets is just a side benefit.

oh ya i wasnt really thinking about baron

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I know you're all huge fans of LoL lore. Here's the latest updated lore on Annie:

quote:

"HER STORY BEGINS IN THE ASHES."

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
She's 9 guys now.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Nightgull posted:

When should I be taking the rift herald as top lane. I've always left it up to the jungle like I do dragon and nashor, but today was the first time I actually saw it in action and it looked incredibly amazing. Can I solo it at any point. I'm usually either Urgot or Illaoi, if that matters.

Taking rift herald as top lane isn't usually a great idea because it takes a really long time and the enemy jungler can just slip in and smite it. Just ping your jungler to help take it if you take tower and force the other laner away or something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cloud drake gets a bad reputation because its not very useful at all if you're behind, which i think shews perception of it some.

edit: and i am not arguing like subjective power level, statistically its not useful to losing teams winning the game

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

it does but the granularity aspect of it matters too in that instead of getting a tower you choose to do dragon, and ranking towers to dragons right now is harder than ever due to the cumulative effect of dragons so who knows in 2018. i was able to find win percent after first dragon but that does not really mean much because that is just "win percent after you make a giant winning trade botlane and force them to abandon the lane long enough for you to get dragon"
I'd be interested in a comparison solely for junglers who can solo dragon early. You still have some opportunity cost in time spent killing the thing but that seems like the easiest way to remove the 'win more' factor from the statistics.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If annie was like 6 when the game released she's like 15 now

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Yeah cloud's main problem is you generally have to play around vision rather than reach so if you're ahead it maybe lets you rotate or get a pick but if you're behind it does nothing. & the effect isn't drastic enough to let you force picks with it or anything.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Methanar posted:

If annie was like 6 when the game released she's like 15 now

lets just end this discussion immediately and decisively and go no further, all.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Taking rift herald as top lane isn't usually a great idea because it takes a really long time and the enemy jungler can just slip in and smite it. Just ping your jungler to help take it if you take tower and force the other laner away or something.

Counterpoint: If you are Yorick, and you're level 6, you can and absolutely should take Rift Hearld if your ult is up and you've already forced the opponent out of lane (preferably by killing them)

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

Work Friend Keven posted:

She's 9 guys now.

Are the guys gay tho.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nightgull posted:

Broadly speaking, you want to take Rift Herald with the assistance of your jungler. There's a few champions like Yorick that can do it solo, but it otherwise takes a really long time, especially the last 15% (where its eye stops opening altogether).

Ideally, you want to try and take Rift either early on in the game when your team is strong (either because of generic early game power or early kills) and use it to break an inner turret, if not an inhib turret. Usually, either the jungler or midlaner will take it and then use it on mid at an opportune time in order to break through to the inner, since this will give you a massive advantage in map movement and vision, especially for baiting Baron. Otherwise, you want to try and save capturing it until right around when it's nearly going away, as that will give you the most amount of time to use Rift while Baron is up.

A reasonably effective strategy as a top laner when ahead is to capture Rift 1-2 minutes before it despawns, then return to base and go bottom while the rest of your team goes to top and mid. You can have them play around Baron while you go bottom and use the Rift Herald. If you're stronger than the enemy top laner, the enemy team will usually have no choice but to send one or two more people down to try and deal with you, since you can otherwise threaten to push all the way up to the inhib turret. Your team can then take this time to attempt Baron or take mid inner.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've not played in a long rear end time. What's the new meta like? How are the waifu team of MF, Zyra, Sejuani and Cait???

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Sej is solid, MF is meh, Cait is terrible, and I dunno about Zyra

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

I've not played in a long rear end time. What's the new meta like? How are the waifu team of MF, Zyra, Sejuani and Cait???

Miss Fortune has an insanely strong two item spike in Ghostblade + Duskblade and then falls off like a brick. Sejuani is still easily the best jungle tank and can carry nearly as hard as an assassin or bruiser jungler. Caitlyn has an okay laning phase that transitions into a dogshit midgame, but she turns into a monster at 4+ items. Zyra is still a strong damage-dealing support and lane bully and got a cool skin where she's a dragon lady.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

Vermain posted:

Broadly speaking, you want to take Rift Herald with the assistance of your jungler. There's a few champions like Yorick that can do it solo, but it otherwise takes a really long time, especially the last 15% (where its eye stops opening altogether).

Ideally, you want to try and take Rift either early on in the game when your team is strong (either because of generic early game power or early kills) and use it to break an inner turret, if not an inhib turret. Usually, either the jungler or midlaner will take it and then use it on mid at an opportune time in order to break through to the inner, since this will give you a massive advantage in map movement and vision, especially for baiting Baron. Otherwise, you want to try and save capturing it until right around when it's nearly going away, as that will give you the most amount of time to use Rift while Baron is up.

A reasonably effective strategy as a top laner when ahead is to capture Rift 1-2 minutes before it despawns, then return to base and go bottom while the rest of your team goes to top and mid. You can have them play around Baron while you go bottom and use the Rift Herald. If you're stronger than the enemy top laner, the enemy team will usually have no choice but to send one or two more people down to try and deal with you, since you can otherwise threaten to push all the way up to the inhib turret. Your team can then take this time to attempt Baron or take mid inner.

Thanks, that's an amazingly helpful explanation. I'm usually strong as heck when I'm Illaoi, I'm less experienced on Urgot but I only pick him with the former is banned. So I'm usually ahead. I'll keep in mind the timing, but going bot usually gets me yelled at for stealing farm so we'll see if I have that chance.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nightgull posted:

Thanks, that's an amazingly helpful explanation. I'm usually strong as heck when I'm Illaoi, I'm less experienced on Urgot but I only pick him with the former is banned. So I'm usually ahead. I'll keep in mind the timing, but going bot usually gets me yelled at for stealing farm so we'll see if I have that chance.

Unfortunately, lane assignments at lower MMRs aren't understood super well and people tend to get stuck in the mindset that, because they're the bot/top/midlaner, they'll turn into a pillar of salt if they ever go to another lane at any point in the game. You can try suggesting it in chat ("bot, you should go top after your next recall"), but don't force the issue if they're unresponsive. Look for an opportunity to set yourself up in bot lane if they're reluctant and try to stay there for as long as it's safe to do so, pressuring the sidelane.

Generally speaking, after the enemy bot outer turret has gone down, bot and top will swap lanes. This is done for two main reasons:
  • Early on, it allows bot lane - especially if they're ahead - to use their power to take either top outer or mid outer if neither of them have fallen already. This also gives you more control over Rift Herald and, eventually, Baron.
  • Later on, it allows you to effectively pressure the side lane that's most annoying for the enemy team to have to deal with. Because Baron is so important, most of the enemy team will be clustered around mid and top unless a particularly good dragon spawns. If the enemy has to send more than a single person into bot lane to stop your from pressuring their other turrets, it gives your team a man advantage in attempting Baron or pressuring mid inner. Similarly, since you're generally going to be running with Teleport, you can instantly respond if the enemy team starts up Baron and give your team a man advantage.
The exception to this is if there's still a valuable dragon (either Infernal or Mountain) available, as you want to have a man advantage while attempting to secure it. After that, though, the top laner usually lives in bot lane and only moves to other lanes if there's a teamfight breaking out, if they're rotating over to try and take a tower or a flank, or if there's a large wave that they need to farm in order to get items.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Zyra is good but you have to go into it with the mindset that you're picking her because you don't trust your team to actually deal any damage at all every game

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Bard is really good right now as well! He's also still great when people are dumb and dive you:

http://plays.tv/video/5a6fe8d2ab47736001/im-god

(listen on mute though it picked up my loud rear end fans thru mic)

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
I do like that bard actually gets damage and experience for simply roaming, whether he gets kills or not. My favorite dota support was Venomancer mainly for his roaming potential, I'm looking forward to trying bard when he's available.

Of the upcoming rotation, I'm most excited to try Evelyn, Kalista, and Galio. Any tips for those would be appreciated, as well as any recommendations for champs similar to Urgot, Illaoi, Darious, and Ornn.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Zyra is good but you have to go into it with the mindset that you're picking her because you don't trust your team to actually deal any damage at all every game

this mindset is one of the most self fulfilling prophecies in league

Nightgull posted:

I do like that bard actually gets damage and experience for simply roaming, whether he gets kills or not. My favorite dota support was Venomancer mainly for his roaming potential, I'm looking forward to trying bard when he's available.

Of the upcoming rotation, I'm most excited to try Evelyn, Kalista, and Galio. Any tips for those would be appreciated, as well as any recommendations for champs similar to Urgot, Illaoi, Darious, and Ornn.

if you want to play kalista it would be a good idea to start practicing a-moving if you aren't already

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

rabidsquid posted:

this mindset is one of the most self fulfilling prophecies in league

if you want to play kalista it would be a good idea to start practicing a-moving if you aren't already

I mean that's a basic skill for mobas so I should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

rabidsquid posted:

"i am having fun, that's why i am so mad" doesn't really make sense to me. it sounds like you're very INVESTED in winning or your rank or something but that doesn't sound fun to me my dude

i had fun getting mad at people in league in the past