Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Dylan McKay posted:

Speaking of the AI has anyone tried that Better AI mod? Would be cool if it fixed the problem of the enemy taking some seriously wonky turns. I've definitely had the Chosen pass up really loving me up to instead just run around, which hey cool but it still feels kind of like a cheat.

Although looking at the list of changes I'm a little worried it would seriously bog things down or turn things unfun.

You know what I wanna know? How I can spend nearly the entirety of this past year playing LW2 and not see the kind of retard moves that Firaxis has the AI doing. How did Pavonis write SUCH better AI decision-making pathways in comparison, and how did Firaxis not learn from them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey guys I'm doing my first WotC game. Can someone please give me an updated list of what uses alien corpses have so I know when I can sell what to the Black Market?

General "what's new and different / what you need to know for WotC" also appreciated.

Black Market Usage mod. Look it up, it should be 100% usable in WotC or updated for it. I know it was out-of-the-box usable for LW2 with no errors, so it reads from the files instead of having hard-wired 'this is what does what' configs.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Hahahahahahahaha, Musashi's RPG Overhaul looks loving ridiculous and awesome, kinda like the latest Spectrum series mod. I might actually have to reinstall WotC to play with that.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Apoplexy posted:

You know what I wanna know? How I can spend nearly the entirety of this past year playing LW2 and not see the kind of retard moves that Firaxis has the AI doing. How did Pavonis write SUCH better AI decision-making pathways in comparison, and how did Firaxis not learn from them?
One of these caters to an audience that thrives off suffering, and other caters to an audience that will complain about the sequel letting the AI cheat more, when the sequel actually cheats more for the player.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Apoplexy posted:

Hahahahahahahaha, Musashi's RPG Overhaul looks loving ridiculous and awesome, kinda like the latest Spectrum series mod. I might actually have to reinstall WotC to play with that.

i'm starting to play with it, the amount of work and polish in it is amazing

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm leery of any classless mod. Especially with the AWC's cross-class benefits, it seems like most of your forces would homogenize into the same basic soldier sooner or later. Am I off base with this one? Please share your experience. :shobon:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bogart posted:

I'm leery of any classless mod. Especially with the AWC's cross-class benefits, it seems like most of your forces would homogenize into the same basic soldier sooner or later. Am I off base with this one? Please share your experience. :shobon:

With MINT, certainly not. Not sure how mushasi ends up

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Apoplexy posted:

Whenever people complain about firaxis’s work it usually boils down to misunderstanding their design intentions.

The AI pathways of X2 are symptomatic of their design intentions, a game that is as simple as it can be for a systems heavy game and relatively forgiving to the player.

While it is arguable that they could both make smarter AI and have a forgiving design, I believe that would require a more wider rethink of well, everything, from timers to mission calendars to pod structuring. The game’s mass appeal is on a knife edge, so it doesn’t hurt to make the AI a little dumber.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Yeah, it's rare for most people to be able to accept being severely punished for reasonable decisions they made with imperfect information, especially with the time commitment required of an XCOM campaign, and still call it fun.

It's not unheard of, and that's why "Dark Souls but" is a genre, but it's not something that appeals to everyone. It comes down to whether you'd rather have a DM that flubs a roll to save the campaign or one that is constantly trying to kill you. Both are valid but one's more popular than the other.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
finally got to take on the exalt HQ for the first time and hahah what, the exalt commander is iago van doorn? i took a mec'd up van doorn along without knowing and its now become some hilarious serious revelation i was not expecting. brother vs brother. light vs dark. brrrrrotherrrrrr!

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 28, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vikar Jerome posted:

finally got to take on the exalt HQ for the first time and hahah what, the exalt commander is iago van doorn? i took a mec'd up van doorn along without knowing and its now become some hilarious serious revelation i was not expecting. brother vs brother. light vs dark. brrrrrotherrrrrr!

I never noticed/saw him =[ I just kinda murdered the last few guys who hung back a lot, was anticlimatic

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's pretty awesome. He's a LW addition btw.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, how safe is it to add something like Squad Select (the UI mod) during a campaign? I'm playing with MINT, and keeping track of all these different perks is a hassle with the default UI.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Robojumper is a super conscientious dev so it's likely safe as houses to drop it in. Backup if you're concerned but typically UI mods don't leave things in the saved game state so they're safe additions and removals.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Yeah, almost everything "wrong" with XCOM 2's AI can be modded away with a simple config change. Modders who set out to fix it didn't even have to write any new code. Those were deliberate design decisions made in the name of pushing faster paced gameplay, among other things. Personally, I'd rather they tuned the mission timers differently than deliberately handicap the AI, but I get why they did it this way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Does anyone have recommendations for strategy in beating highest difficulty with a better ADVENT mod? There just seems to be too many enemies at too high a health pool and I have too few soldiers to deal with them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

That mod adding laser and coil tiers to weapon tech bumps the mid-to-high end weapon ranges up but larger pods are a matter of action economy and that might just gently caress you no matter what.

ABA strikes me as any big RPG monster mod in that it adds way too much to ever provide a fun balance. Like that New Vegas mod that added in all the STALKER mutants but also dropped giant tarantulas with hundreds of hit points all around Goodsprings.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You are using a bigger-squad-size mod like ABA recommends, right?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Personally I was more than happy when ABA only added, like, a few more variations on actual ADVENT soldiers (ala LW2) rather than archon versions that only move in diagonal lines or whatever. Are there any mods that only do that?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Toadsmash posted:

Yeah, almost everything "wrong" with XCOM 2's AI can be modded away with a simple config change. Modders who set out to fix it didn't even have to write any new code. Those were deliberate design decisions made in the name of pushing faster paced gameplay, among other things. Personally, I'd rather they tuned the mission timers differently than deliberately handicap the AI, but I get why they did it this way.

Wait, how the is AI handicapped again? All I can think of are things like turrets not firing twice on the same target.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Serephina posted:

Wait, how the is AI handicapped again? All I can think of are things like turrets not firing twice on the same target.

From what I understand, on difficulties lower than Commander the AI is shackled and makes worse choices to engage your soldiers, but I thought that was also the case in XCOM1. For example, sometimes they'll forgo moving to a position for a flanked shot on a soldier and instead move to a safer spot with a worse shot. They also sometimes opt to not use explosives when they have no reason not to. There are probably better examples, but I know that they have deliberately made the AI worse before as a difficulty concern in the past.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Difficulties lower than commander don't count. While it's not a description stapled to the label so the new player is making informed consent, it's well known about how the game cheats for the player on lower difficulties.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Serephina posted:

Difficulties lower than commander don't count. While it's not a description stapled to the label so the new player is making informed consent, it's well known about how the game cheats for the player on lower difficulties.

It still cheats for you on Commander in XCOM 2 :v:

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Yeah I've seen more than a few wonky AI turns and I play on commander.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Serephina posted:

:jerkbag:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jabor posted:

You are using a bigger-squad-size mod like ABA recommends, right?

Which one is that?

Edit: by that, I have a mod that has more squad size upgrades, but not larger starting squad sizes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Samovar posted:

Which one is that?

Edit: by that, I have a mod that has more squad size upgrades, but not larger starting squad sizes.

RoboJumper's Squad Select lets you bump up your starting squad in the in-game options menu. I use that.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Zore posted:

It still cheats for you on Commander in XCOM 2 :v:

It does, but very little.

Something like "if you miss three shots in a row you get an invisible +10 to aim on the next shot" I think. Honestly, if you're routinely missing three shots in a row on Commander difficulty, you've got bigger problems anyway.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I haven't been a big fan of the turn-based games I've tried, but I downloaded XCOM1's demo on a whim and founded myself enjoying it. Likely due to the unique camera work when characters perform an action.

Sad I missed this on the Winter Sale, but onto my wishlist it goes.

I might have an extra copy of that on Steam, I’ll look when I get back home.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Does anyone have a video of what they’d consider a skilled mission playthrough on commander? I’d be interested to see what their play looks like compared to mine.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does anyone have a video of what they’d consider a skilled mission playthrough on commander? I’d be interested to see what their play looks like compared to mine.

Jade Star's LP is pretty good

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

No. XCOM 1 was never remotely handicapped in the same ways in terms of behaviors. Mexican standoffs (where aliens and humans alike are both stuck in semi fortified positions where neither wants to move) potentially happened all the time in that game on any difficulty because the AI was perfectly happy to camp a position if it was in their own best interest to do so. In XCOM 2, the AI is weighted heavily toward advancing its position, so weighted, in fact, that it is often willing to give up good cover/positions that can't be easily flanked to do so. The AI will move up units just to keep the combat dynamic and fast paced and continually evolving. That's not unique to difficulty -- Commander/Legendary both have tons of moments where the AI does this constantly if you're looking for it. The aliens often advance just to advance. That was not at all a thing in XCOM 1. If it made sense to sit still in XCOM 1, the aliens were perfectly happy to do so. That's a large part of what changed the combat dynamic in vanilla XCOM 2 I think quite a few people took for granted.

Jake Solomon did a talk on this not long after the game came out I'm pretty sure, but I can't find it right now for the life of me.

Other handicaps just off the top of my head: Sectoids. By all rights, they should be using Mind Control on their first turn in almost every situation.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 29, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

No. XCOM 1 was never remotely handicapped in the same ways in terms of behaviors. Mexican standoffs (where aliens and humans alike are both stuck in semi fortified positions where neither wants to move) potentially happened all the time in that game on any difficulty because the AI was perfectly happy to camp a position if it was in their own best interest to do so. In XCOM 2, the AI is weighted heavily toward advancing its position, so weighted, in fact, that it is often willing to give up good cover/positions that can't be easily flanked to do so. The AI will move up units just to keep the combat dynamic and fast paced and continually evolving. That's not unique to difficulty -- Commander/Legendary both have tons of moments where the AI does this constantly if you're looking for it. The aliens often advance just to advance. That was not at all a thing in XCOM 1. If it made sense to sit still in XCOM 1, the aliens were perfectly happy to do so. That's a large part of what changed the combat dynamic in vanilla XCOM 2 I think quite a few people took for granted.

Jake Solomon did a talk on this not long after the game came out I'm pretty sure, but I can't find it right now for the life of me.

Other handicaps just off the top of my head: Sectoids. By all rights, they should be using Mind Control on their first turn in almost every situation.

Sectoids usually do. Mindspin has a random chance to be Mind Control or Panic (weighted towards Panic) and its almost always their first move in combat.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Right. Weighted away from what is by far their more potent ability. That's what I'm talking about with handicaps.

e: Oh, I get what you mean. I forgot they were different effects that rolled off the same ability. My bad. You can tell it's been awhile since I played.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 29, 2018

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I haven't been a big fan of the turn-based games I've tried, but I downloaded XCOM1's demo on a whim and founded myself enjoying it. Likely due to the unique camera work when characters perform an action.

Sad I missed this on the Winter Sale, but onto my wishlist it goes.

I've got an extra copy, go check your PMs :)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Zore posted:

Sectoids usually do. Mindspin has a random chance to be Mind Control or Panic (weighted towards Panic) and its almost always their first move in combat.

If you've managed to kill at least one trooper they'll pretty much always open with raising a zombie. They're a lot easier to manage if you prioritize random advents over the sectoid itself.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Zore posted:

RoboJumper's Squad Select lets you bump up your starting squad in the in-game options menu. I use that.

OK, I must be as thick as a post, cause I'm not seeing how you increase the squad size. I see that there's supposed to be a 'Mod Select' option in the in-game option screen, but I'm not able to find it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

At least on lower difficulties it seems like the AI tends to ease up on single-target debilitating effects per-round. Meaning, if a sectoid goes for mind control and a spectre shadowbounds someone else, other enemies for the round tend to go for straight attacks, non-targeted debuffs (psionic AoEs, incendiary grenades etc) or in the case of sectoids, zombie raising.

On release the sectoid was extremely weighted toward zombie raising, to the point of passing up open flank shots, but that was patched out. Mind control tends to be their first play ime.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

OK, I must be as thick as a post, cause I'm not seeing how you increase the squad size. I see that there's supposed to be a 'Mod Select' option in the in-game option screen, but I'm not able to find it.

Mod menu is its own mod that you'll need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Mod menu is its own mod that you'll need.

Thank you. Now I feel slightly less dumb.