Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Baronjutter posted:

The only reason you'd want a ring-shaped habitat is to generate gravity by spinning. There's absolutely no reason or advantage to have a ring literally around an entire star. Why not just build the same square kilometers of habitable space with a few hundred/thousand "halo" style rings and not worry about instability?

You couldn't afford the whole Dyson Sphere, but you still wanted to part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

I seem to recall Banks had proper Ringworlds, called Rings, but now that you mention it, I don't think we ever see one except listed as a casualty of the Idiran-Culture War.
There's also a passing mention of Dyson spheres (called Spheres). Banks' universe was ancient and vast and everything conceivable that could be built had been built.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/958028567954317313

I would also really like if you guys added new sliders for the Space Monsters, Guardians, and Enclaves. Both to increase/decrease their frequency or turn them off completely.

(Currently you can disable Gaurdians and Enclaves by disabling the Leviathans DLC, but that will also disable the War in Heaven events.)

A slider for the new Marauder Empires would also be very nice.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 29, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rhjamiz posted:

I seem to recall Banks had proper Ringworlds, called Rings, but now that you mention it, I don't think we ever see one except listed as a casualty of the Idiran-Culture War.

He did, but that's also the only place I recall them mentioned too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VirtualStranger posted:

I would also really like if you guys added new sliders for the Space Monsters, Guardians, and Enclaves. Both to increase/decrease their frequency or turn them off completely.

(Currently you can disable Gaurdians and Enclaves by disabling the Leviathans DLC, but that will also disable the War in Heaven events.)

These would be very good sliders. Sometimes I want to jump into a game where nearly every system is absolutely infested with hostile life and must be hard fought for.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

As someone who rushes through 90% of the science tree in less then a single century, finally! I can't wait to reduce technological progress to a slow crawl.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

As someone who rushes through 90% of the science tree in less then a single century, finally! I can't wait to reduce technological progress to a slow crawl.

Hopefully tech pace will be slower by default so that 2400 actually makes sense as the first crisis year. If not, finally I can change it!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I love the giant, inexplicable space tube from Homeworld.

Speaking of Homeworld, the way that Relic rendered the giant, pixelated space tube and the rest of their backdrops is awesome. It's pretty much entirely vertex color, with no textures to speak of, so they don't run into any compression issues.

https://simonschreibt.de/gat/homeworld-2-backgrounds/

The same system still looks amazing today in something like Homeworld: Remastered.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

Why not build O'Neill cylinders, which look cooler?

Also fwiw Startopia is a game that exists which is nice if you like space habitats and the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Around an entire star? Well, why not? For the super-civ who went "Dyson Spheres are far too practical for us", I guess

Baronjutter posted:

The only reason you'd want a ring-shaped habitat is to generate gravity by spinning. There's absolutely no reason or advantage to have a ring literally around an entire star. Why not just build the same square kilometers of habitable space with a few hundred/thousand "halo" style rings and not worry about instability?

DatonKallandor posted:

You couldn't afford the whole Dyson Sphere, but you still wanted to part of it.

Yeah, I just wanted to mention this, (before DatonKallandor beat me to it) the second reason is that a giant wheel spinning around a star can very effectively collect energy from the sun in its midst, while saving a lot of the building material you would need for a real dyson sphere. Third reason: See my cylinder-comment above. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

turn off the TV posted:

Why not build O'Neill cylinders, which look cooler?

Also fwiw Startopia is a game that exists which is nice if you like space habitats and the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Rampant anti-Sideism, is what!

The Ringworld had ramscoop attitude jets.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Wiz, please add a slider that makes my weekend longer

VirtualStranger posted:

I assume that's the Mid Game one

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I assume that's the Mid Game one

No, I meant a slider to change how many of them spawn on the map, like you can already do with Fallen Empires. The Mid-Game slider probably just affects the start date of the Great Khan events.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Wait, can a War in Heaven currently not start until the earliest Crisis date? That might explain why I have never ever seen one.

Right now it's a mid-game crisis. The Horde is going to take it's place

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

VirtualStranger posted:

No, I meant a slider to change how many of them spawn on the map, like you can already do with Fallen Empires. The Mid-Game slider probably just affects the start date of the Great Khan events.

Oh duuuh. That would actually be a very, very cool slider and now I want that too. I do remember seeing a Multiple Crisis one in an older tweet so it's not unlikely. e: hmm, I hope an extremely successful barbarian rampage will cause another challenger to appear

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 29, 2018

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

GorfZaplen posted:

Right now it's a mid-game crisis. The Horde is going to take it's place

Sounds like the War in Heaven is going to get a bit more dicey, then. I suppose that makes sense with the planet-killers.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Sorry if this has been asked but any word on when Cherryh will drop or is it going to be at the same time as Apocalypse?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

PiCroft posted:

Sorry if this has been asked but any word on when Cherryh will drop or is it going to be at the same time as Apocalypse?

Paradox always drops the patch and DLC simultaneously.

Those new sliders make me HNNNGGG I hope we get randomization toggles as well though, I'd love to have some unpredictability!

Also the sliders VirtualStranger suggests!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Gyrotica posted:

Sounds like the War in Heaven is going to get a bit more dicey, then. I suppose that makes sense with the planet-killers.

Yeah, I'd imagine that between the possibility of aggressive remodeling of member worlds and the changes to movement and warfare in general, the War in Heaven is probably going to be the nastiest crisis event one can deal with now. That's going to be an endeavor.

turn off the TV posted:

I love the giant, inexplicable space tube from Homeworld.

Speaking of Homeworld, the way that Relic rendered the giant, pixelated space tube and the rest of their backdrops is awesome. It's pretty much entirely vertex color, with no textures to speak of, so they don't run into any compression issues.

https://simonschreibt.de/gat/homeworld-2-backgrounds/

The same system still looks amazing today in something like Homeworld: Remastered.

Homeworld (specifically 2) is my favorite universe when it comes to big dumb space objects, because everyone makes a big deal out of these progenitor ships being kinda large, and it seems like they're just nervously ignoring all of the absurdly massive space scaffolds and plates and highway tubes and poo poo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psycho Landlord posted:

Homeworld (specifically 2) is my favorite universe when it comes to big dumb space objects, because everyone makes a big deal out of these progenitor ships being kinda large, and it seems like they're just nervously ignoring all of the absurdly massive space scaffolds and plates and highway tubes and poo poo.

IIRC they don't comment on it because the space tubes are a known "thing." The Homeworld universe has such a long history that there are multiple different gigantic space objects that nobody bats an eye at. By the time the game takes place it had already gone through one or two apocalyptic scale wars (which is why the Kushan wound up on Kharak). The surprise when they find that Progenitor ship is probably less "this is bigger than anything we've found before" and more "this is bigger than anything we have found in living memory."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

At one point, homeworld 2 had a design partially centered around 'megaliths' as space terrain. Ships would be able to shelter behind them, they'd impact sensors, you could build turrets on them, etc.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

At one point, homeworld 2 had a design partially centered around 'megaliths' as space terrain. Ships would be able to shelter behind them, they'd impact sensors, you could build turrets on them, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXGUU611ZPA

It probably wouldn't have saved the abysmal story, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

THE BAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXGUU611ZPA

It probably wouldn't have saved the abysmal story, though.

Homeworld 2's original plot was drastically different than the release build. The game was going to be called "Homeworld: Empire" or something along those lines, and follow several characters belonging to the Hiigaran 15th fleet, which I believe were supposed to be stationed at a hyperspace gateway, during a military conflict with a group of planet cracking nomads.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Peter Watts -- Blindsight, Rifters, Echopraxia -- was involved in writing parts of the first iteration of Homeworld 2's story.

What could have been...

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

HW2 went through a bunch of plot iterations. There was the 15th Fleet and megalith stuff, there was the Dust Wars iteration, and then there was everything that led into the final product. Game had some troubled development.

Also I don't think the Taiidan/Hiigaran war was what made those bigass derelicts. That was a pretty small border war and accompanying Bentusi police action that only got weird when the Hiigs got a farjumper battleship. As far as I remember the crazier poo poo like the giant Karos Graveyard scaffold and the rings out in the badlands were never explained by anything, they're just sorta there. Karos did have some ships in it that were intended to represent some of the older Hiig designs from when they demilitarized and were exiled, though.

VVV Because it was not a very good plot. Vaygr are cool as poo poo and the music was excellent, though.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 30, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don’t even remember the HW 2 plot.

I remember HW and cataclysm’s though.

edit: Seriously all I remember of HW2 is getting wrecked in multiplayer.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 30, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I don’t even remember the HW 2 plot.

I remember HW and cataclysm’s though.

Consider yourself lucky.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Psycho Landlord posted:

VVV Because it was not a very good plot. Vaygr are cool as poo poo and the music was excellent, though.

The Vaygr battle theme is one of my favourite game tracks.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

THE BAR posted:

The Vaygr battle theme is one of my favourite game tracks.

That's a good one, but I raise you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btXnl7AGFg0

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The Homeworld 2 Remastered soundtrack is fantastic, too.

But the Homeworld 2 plot is basically just a chain of 'find the McGuffin to find the McGuffin to find...' and so on and so on.

You need the Oracle to find the Lighthouse to find the Dreadnaught to find the Core to find Balcora Gate to find Sajuuk to find Makaan to find the Eye of Aran. And it took HW1's feel of a quasi-mystic, spiritual journey and went a bit too heavily into magical retcons.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hard to beat. But maybe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oco_iHIkHQ8

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there any way to see achievements in-game? Like EU4 style? Can't tell if I'm just blind.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psycho Landlord posted:

Also I don't think the Taiidan/Hiigaran war was what made those bigass derelicts. That was a pretty small border war and accompanying Bentusi police action that only got weird when the Hiigs got a farjumper battleship. As far as I remember the crazier poo poo like the giant Karos Graveyard scaffold and the rings out in the badlands were never explained by anything, they're just sorta there. Karos did have some ships in it that were intended to represent some of the older Hiig designs from when they demilitarized and were exiled, though.

There was whatever happened to the Progenitors, then a very short but crazy period of war on a galactic scale, which led to the formation of a handful of fairly large empires. The first Hiigaran/Taiidan war led to the destruction of most of both empire's militaries as well as the Taiidani political system, which resulted in a second conflict in which the remnants of the Taiidan military glassed or conquered most of the Hiigaran Empire.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Milky Moor posted:

But the Homeworld 2 plot is basically just a chain of 'find the McGuffin to find the McGuffin to find...' and so on and so on.

There was one I thing that fascinated me about Homeworld 2's story, the first time I played it: the bizarre implication that there were exactly three Hyperspace Cores in the entire universe. Forged at the beginning of time by God- in the fires of Star Doom, why not?- and scattered throughout the galaxy, and any one of them is sufficiently powerful to build an entire galactic empire on. It's a mad, strange nonsense idea, and completely different in tone to any other sci-fi I was familiar with. I've seen much stranger poo poo since then, though, and the rest of it...

Now I want to play Perimeter again.

I hope we get a Deserts of Kharak 2 at some point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Well, I think the idea at the core of HW2's story is that ancient fact becomes modern day fairy tale. It's expressed directly by the Hiigaran journey to find Sajuuk and then He turns out to be a starship. The Hyperspace Cores are obviously not magical or whatever, there's just this cult around them. I'm pretty sure the Progenitors weren't godlike creators as much as they were just the precursors of the people who would become the Hiigarans, Taiidan and Vaygr.

A fascinating idea that isn't executed well.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Will 2.0 provide any performance improvement for late-game chugging?

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Pretty sure Wiz said somewhere that pathfinding was causing a fair bit of late game chug, and with hyperlanes only they're able to make it significantly faster.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
So if I recall correctly, Wiz said that Purifier types are in perma-war in Cherryh. I also recall it was stated that the reason they didn't do this to start with was that it wasn't fun.

So which part of the incoming changes suddenly made it fun and actually viable and not something that will immediately have the entire galaxy rushing over to kick your poo poo in? Genuinely curious.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Autonomous Monster posted:

There was one I thing that fascinated me about Homeworld 2's story, the first time I played it: the bizarre implication that there were exactly three Hyperspace Cores in the entire universe. Forged at the beginning of time by God- in the fires of Star Doom, why not?- and scattered throughout the galaxy, and any one of them is sufficiently powerful to build an entire galactic empire on. It's a mad, strange nonsense idea, and completely different in tone to any other sci-fi I was familiar with. I've seen much stranger poo poo since then, though, and the rest of it...

Now I want to play Perimeter again.

I hope we get a Deserts of Kharak 2 at some point.

In Homeworld there are basically hyperspace drives, which is what everyone besides the Bentusi uses prior to Homeworld 2. All of their drives are inferior copies of progenitor manufacturing that nobody has been able to replicate in thousands upon thousands of years. This was partially intentional, because only the Bentusi had discovered an original progenitor hyperspace core, and they never let anyone else know that they only had one core or that they didn't how to properly build one themselves. For a while in the history of Homeworld there was basically one gigantic ship in the entire galaxy that could cross it effortlessly and crush anyone that tried to resist them without a moment's notice. Then people found a second core and also started flying across the galaxy effortlessly, crushing anyone that tried to resist without a moment's notice.

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of Homeworld's narrative revolves around history becoming myth and religion (the entire conflict of Deserts of Kharak is about this), so the progenitors probably literally did create the Hiigarans and the rest of the galaxy's life, told them what was up, and then all died for a reason that nobody seems to know. So they have the legend of the space god that everyone else in the galaxy seems to have, and find technology made with materials that nobody can recreate. Why wouldn't they believe that their religion was true, if their religion appeared to constantly be confirmed by scientific fact?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Shadowlyger posted:

So if I recall correctly, Wiz said that Purifier types are in perma-war in Cherryh. I also recall it was stated that the reason they didn't do this to start with was that it wasn't fun.

So which part of the incoming changes suddenly made it fun and actually viable and not something that will immediately have the entire galaxy rushing over to kick your poo poo in?

It wasn't fun because the war score system the game launched with wouldn't ever allow them to actually take over anything if they were in a forever war with the rest of the galaxy - they would only occupy worthless planets with no way to expand. Changes coming in 2.0 change the way war works so that can now presumably takeover planets immediately and begin doing whatever with them. Their original owner also has the opportunity to grab them back when they can.

This is touched on in Dev Diary #93 and there may be more details to come in the next month since we still have another ~4 diaries to go and Wiz mentioned some of the topics will come up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

One thing that nobody ever seems to talk about is that a ton of the battles in Homeworld take place against these absurdly imposing backgrounds. You fight in the wreckage of megastructures that make the Mothership -- the crowning achievement of an entire culture -- look like an ant. These are things that would have taken multiple planetoids worth of metal and impossible manufacturing capabilities to build, and they're just glossed over. The story does not take place in the Milky Way. Long enough ago that nobody remembers, humanity came here across an impossibly long distance and fractured.

• Locked thread