Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno. I read a book on the fall of Nixon and the rise of Reagan, and honestly I get the impression that things wouldn't have had to go too much differently for Nixon to have been able to skate out of trouble on Watergate and manage to finish his second term. There were a lot of people who were willing to just look the other way on that issue.

A lot of the poo poo happening in the last decade or two didn't just happen, there was a shitload of groundwork being laid in the 90s, the 80s, the 70s, and some even further back. The mushrooms are flowering now because the fungus has been growing underground for quite some time. This is the result of a deliberate political movement.

That said, one technological aspect I'd wonder about would be that the internet went from something that anyone could access to something that everyone must access, for increasingly greater shares of people's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
god drat it how did i gently caress up edit/quote

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

There were a lot of people who were willing to just look the other way on that issue.

as ultimately borne out by ford's pardon.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

by pushing the wrong button, presumably.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gets it in the new page, I suppose

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
At the same time as we're saying people "must access" the internet there's still like 12% of the US population that doesn't access it at all at home or work. They might interact with specific sites on rare occasions at government facilities or with relatives but they're not online, sometimes ever.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fishmech posted:

At the same time as we're saying people "must access" the internet there's still like 12% of the US population that doesn't access it at all at home or work. They might interact with specific sites on rare occasions at government facilities or with relatives but they're not online, sometimes ever.

ya, and tbqh i would at this point be unsurprised if this group actually grows. though it is unclear whether that means anything much other that essential services not being able to assume that people are more than minimally online

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

fishmech posted:

and we've got a ton of people who complain loudly when a poor person has a smartphone even though it's probably the cheapest way to get on the internet that they have to use.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

and we've got a ton of people who complain loudly when a poor person has a smartphone even though it's probably the cheapest way to get on the internet that they have to use.

this at the same time true, the fraction of people who are not "online" will likely shift to being richer people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

we're almost certainly in the dawn of a far more regressive world when it comes to globally sharing information, and as a progressive i find myself, surprisingly, on the regressive side of that argument

the internet was a mistake. well, not quite, but the adoption of some early libertarian bullshit ideas of what the internet should be was a mistake.

maybe information just wants 2 b free, ever consider that huh?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fishmech posted:

in denmark all govt mail has been electronic for a couple years & you need a nemID to do any interaction with public services. you can get it deferred though if youre super old or something

we do have the advantage that there are no places without broadband access tho

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

maybe information just wants 2 b free, ever consider that huh?

makes u think

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

of that figure, how many people simply can't get access due to geographical or financial issues vs old people who want to pretend that it's still 1973 or crazy survivalist nuts in shacks that don't even have electricity?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
you can still get an obamaphone, can't you?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bhodi posted:

you can still get an obamaphone, can't you?

you've been able to get phones through that program since the reagan era iirc.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

you've been able to get phones through that program since the reagan era iirc.

and the expansion of that program to cell phones happened while bush jr was in office, not on obama's watch

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Didn't Obama increase access/eligibility which prompted all the backlash?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Didn't Obama increase access/eligibility which prompted all the backlash?

No, he was black which prompted all the backlash. Hth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i think it was the change to smart phones instead of feature phones because the smartphones were cheaper

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

i think it was the change to smart phones instead of feature phones because the smartphones were cheaper

no it was just straight up racism in 2009 when it started up. thats when obamaphone.com and other things sprung up about this waste of taxpayer dollars that included all the dogwhistle stereotypes crowing about their new obamaphones and free cell minutes.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
At what point does a dog whistle become a straight up steam kettle lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krankenstyle posted:

in denmark all govt mail has been electronic for a couple years & you need a nemID to do any interaction with public services. you can get it deferred though if youre super old or something

we do have the advantage that there are no places without broadband access tho

I don't see how that'd be incompatible with say, old person who goes down to local town hall to use their computer tho??

The_Franz posted:

of that figure, how many people simply can't get access due to geographical or financial issues vs old people who want to pretend that it's still 1973 or crazy survivalist nuts in shacks that don't even have electricity?

Very few. It is similar to the rates of people not owning/using any computer or smartphone at all. Seeing as if you're poor or even just stingy you can get a (garbage, old, but functioning) smartphone for $20 at a Walmart or 711 and then there's the free phones from the government programs, it's not really an issue of not being affordable.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’m really loving sleep deprived today. when i first saw this out of the corner of my eye i genuinely thought i was cracking up.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

I’m really loving sleep deprived today. when i first saw this out of the corner of my eye i genuinely thought i was cracking up.

Ambertrash raus.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

such an oddball avatar that i didn't realize they were different posters until you pointed it out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fishmech posted:

I don't see how that'd be incompatible with say, old person who goes down to local town hall to use their computer tho??

i think some olds do, if they dont have computers. some like my grandma get family to click butans. i cant find the deferment reqs right now, but i think theyve been restricting them further as time passes or its birth-year based maybe

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Ambertrash raus.

gently caress! i've outed myself!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Schadenboner posted:

Ambertrash raus.

wrong, amberpos best pos

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

such an oddball avatar that i didn't realize they were different posters until you pointed it out

there are still dozens of goons on riker's island.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

You Am I posted:

wrong, amberpos best pos

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Ambertrash raus.

looks like the table have turned.

:clint:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it's gotta be black on black
anarchypos

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
grope about looking at av's only, in the plato's cave of postin

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

everyone that posted on a couple of pages in the ffxiv thread got one

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

what an absolutely brutal self-own

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

You Am I posted:

wrong, amberpos best pos
its a pos alright

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

dang there's like at least three levels of ownage, two being self-inflicted

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
there were nearly triple digit numbers of posters in the ffxiv to get some variant of riker. ffxiv is a cool and good game.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gently caress gently caress xrap idiot vhatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

there were nearly triple digit numbers of posters in the ffxiv to get some variant of riker. ffxiv is a cool and good game.

what’s up with his eyes?

• Locked thread