Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have a boxed one with all the accessories it came with if you want it.

Hey, random but is this offer for the super scope still open? My older brother lost his to a break-in while we were little that ended up almost driving my family bankrupt, and playing with that stupid thing was one of the last good memories of our childhood.

:smith: I've been looking for one for years to get him for a holiday, but the super scopes are apparently hard to find.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Hi all I remember back when it was announced that FFXV would have an all male cast there was a big kerfuffle about how sexist that was and now we're talking about how its possibly sexist or at least bad to have an all female cast in a videogame so I'd like to hear all you's opinion on the ideal man:woman ratio that makes a game feminist.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That Worms sale is like eeehhhhhh 15% off

I'm still waiting. I don't want it that badly.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

something doesnt become not dumb just because you're being 'ironic' about it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Freakbox posted:

Hey, is this offer still open? My older brother lost his to a breakin while we were little that ended up almost driving my family bankrupt, and playing with that stupid thing was one of the last good memories of our childhood.

:smith: I've been looking for one for years, but the super scopes are apparently hard to find.

Sure. Tonight after work I'll look up how much to ship it. PM me your zip code if you have PMs and if you don't then klintor at gmail. Also ebay is a good place, though you'll be paying $40+ after shipping

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FF15: Bro’s road trip and cooking simulator is a fun and good game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's more important the the medium as a whole has good gender ratios than any individual game being balanced imo. Of course this distribution of responsibility means that things end up bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

It's more important the the medium as a whole has good gender ratios than any individual game being balanced imo. Of course this distribution of responsibility means that things end up bad
imo i think sexism is way too complicated for 'gender ratios' to somehow be a remotely worthwhile test. even in the very large scheme of things its not like sexism would be over if video games had a 50/50 male female player character ratio.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

imo i think sexism is way too complicated for 'gender ratios' to somehow be a remotely worthwhile test. even in the very large scheme of things its not like sexism would be over if video games had a 50/50 male female player character ratio.

I mean agreed but I was responding to a post about gender ratios (I probably should have quoted it)

For what it's worth, in my personal experience the worst of the worst tend to be in games that have exactly one man or exactly one woman (assuming casts of 4 or more). I don't play every game though so that's just anecdotal

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Hi all I remember back when it was announced that FFXV would have an all male cast there was a big kerfuffle about how sexist that was and now we're talking about how its possibly sexist or at least bad to have an all female cast in a videogame so I'd like to hear all you's opinion on the ideal man:woman ratio that makes a game feminist.

Whichever lets me be the most woke online.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

otome games are very problematic, but perhaps they're also woke. however, its hosed up that the best character in every single otome game is the female best friend, instead of any of the boys.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Sure. Tonight after work I'll look up how much to ship it. PM me your zip code if you have PMs and if you don't then klintor at gmail. Also ebay is a good place, though you'll be paying $40+ after shipping

I'm seriously tearing up. He's had a terrible year and this will make him so happy. :unsmith: Thread Victory!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

For what it's worth, in my personal experience the worst of the worst tend to be in games that have exactly one man or exactly one woman (assuming casts of 4 or more). I don't play every game though so that's just anecdotal

My experience is the same. It's usually because at that point the one character is filling a role, like their characterization is "the girl" and has to check all the gender-trope boxes.

Not always the case, of course.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

is bayonetta 2 out yet so i can show it to my girlfriend

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

can't help but think after the next round of DLC, KOF14 will eventually come to Switch. Can't image why not given all their other poo poo is on the system. I'm still waiting for their sprite masterpiece KOF13, though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

otome games are very problematic, but perhaps they're also woke. however, its hosed up that the best character in every single otome game is the female best friend, instead of any of the boys.

The dating sim ep of Nozaki kun but all the genders are flipped

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

The dating sim ep of Nozaki kun but all the genders are flipped

thats basically what otome games are yes

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

a.lo posted:

is bayonetta 2 out yet so i can show it to my girlfriend

Next month.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Next month.

I will finally buy and play Bayonetta and it will be right and good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hakuoki: hang out with okita while he tries to neg his way out of having tuberculosis
me: no, i wanna hang out with the cool demon girl who keeps offering to 'steal me away'
hakuoki: too bad. banned.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

thats basically what otome games are yes

Yeah but they'd make the plot to date the hot best friend girl.

Now I'm thinking about Nozaki kun with the genders flipped and it'd be really funny drat.

To bring this back on topic, with it's near 50% gender ratio and choice between a male and female MC is Persona 3 the most feminist game ever?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

The gender ratio is less important than what the characters are actually like. People are rolling their eyes at this SNK Heroines game because the depictions of the characters and whole concept of the game are super dumb and sexist, not because it has “too many women” or whatever. I suspect you know this and are concern trolling.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

David Wise working with Retro, all signs point to Kong

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-david-wise-working-on-something-at-retro-studios/

I'd eat up another DKC game from Retro; it'd probably be received better than Tropical Freeze now that Prime 4 is in the tank.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

No more Donkey Kong games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Weedle posted:

The gender ratio is less important than what the characters are actually like. People are rolling their eyes at this SNK Heroines game because the depictions of the characters and whole concept of the game are super dumb and sexist, not because it has “too many women” or whatever. I suspect you know this and are concern trolling.
i think dis was just making fun of the two specific posts about all female games being sexist. just a game theory.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LMAO all female cast isn't sexist. All female cast kidnapped and forced to fight in lingerie while watched on CCTV, now that's podracing sexist!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
was Donkey Kong Country Topical Freeze really good because I keep reading reviews of how good it looks and it looks ugly to me

then again the only "2d/3d" platformer I liked the look of was Mario 3D World, I thought all the New Super Mario Bros games looked like rear end

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Japan shouldn't be allowed to make all women games.

Luckily they usually include one guy, so it isn't a total scissorfest

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spellman posted:

Luckily they usually include one guy, so it isn't a total scissorfest
jesus christ

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If it's like the gals fighters games it'll have iori crossdressing so therefore,

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

was Donkey Kong Country Topical Freeze really good because I keep reading reviews of how good it looks and it looks ugly to me

then again the only "2d/3d" platformer I liked the look of was Mario 3D World, I thought all the New Super Mario Bros games looked like rear end

It's one of the very best 2D platformers I've ever played. Extremely good and advanced design throughout. Sorry that you don't like the way it looks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is probably not an original thought but my favorite looking platformer ever is still Yoshi's Island, I just can't do the platformer-with-3d-models thing (somehow 3D World made it look really good)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I do not like fighting games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Bloop posted:

I will finally buy and play Bayonetta and it will be right and good

You are in for such a treat. Make sure to play through 1 first and not go straight to 2. It’s so cool that they bothered porting over 1 again as a bonus.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DisDisDis posted:

6:9

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ffxv is a very decent game

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The way a game excludes women can be sexist, and the way a game depicts the women it does include can also be sexist. There's different ways to be sexist, throwing your hands up and yelling "But what is the correct number?" is missing the point in each case.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Bloop posted:

LMAO all female cast isn't sexist. All female cast kidnapped and forced to fight in lingerie while watched on CCTV, now that's podracing sexist!

It feels like there should be a better word for that, it's like saying both shoplifting and being a serial killer are both criminal activities

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lemming posted:

It feels like there should be a better word for that, it's like saying both shoplifting and being a serial killer are both criminal activities

Your metaphors are the only real crime here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Niiice 😎

• Locked thread