Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's cool that Churchill gets all the credit for winning the war despite not fighting in it and his only actual involvement in the war was a disaster predicated on the racist assumption that turks were physically incapable of shooting their white superiors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

It's cool that Churchill gets all the credit for winning the war despite not fighting in it and his only actual involvement in the war was a disaster predicated on the racist assumption that turks were physically incapable of shooting their white superiors

I'm glad we finally got to the stage in history that the world wars were actually one war now.

Lawman 0 has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Jan 29, 2018

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm we finally got to the stage in history that the world wars were actually one war now.

tbh a not entirely inaccurate summary

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm we finally got to the stage in history that the world wars were actually one war now.

Well we do lump in the 30 Years War as one event, even though it was a series of wars.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:agreed:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Well we do lump in the 30 Years War as one event, even though it was a series of wars.
This was the feeling in the HRE at the time as well, though, not really a later, and fatuous, imposition.

The 30 years war was more like the Napoleonic Wars in terms of being a really drawn out conflict involving a series of bizarre coalitions.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shocking disrespect to our greatest wartime leader, Clement Attlee. Boris must apologise.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

nopantsjack posted:

Churchill did in fact fight in WWI. After Gallipoli and losing his position as First Lord of the Admiralty, he managed to get appointed Major (brevetted to Lt. Colonel) in the Royal Scots Fusiliers and did six months in the trenches.

And frankly I'm puzzled that you'd think Churchill gets any credit at all for winning WWI. He came out of it almost wholly-unrehabilitated for the Dardanelles disaster and spent most of the 20s in the political wilderness as a consequence.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Shocking disrespect to our greatest wartime leader, Clement Attlee. Boris must apologise.

:ocelot:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

im glad someone is helping the homeless. i am very glad.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What baffles me about the Churchill myth is that he didn't even declare war on Germany! I bet a lot of thumbs wouldn't be able to tell you that.

Lt. Danger posted:

tbh a not entirely inaccurate summary

Don't buy into Stephen Ambrose's "European Civil War" hypothesis, it's pretty discredited now. The two conflicts happened for very different reasons and there was nothing inevitable about WWII after WWI

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Don't buy into Stephen Ambrose's "European Civil War" hypothesis, it's pretty discredited now. The two conflicts happened for very different reasons and there was nothing inevitable about WWII after WWI

Absolutely.
Fascism was aided and abetted.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Media constantly wrong footed by man who has been uncompromising in his positions throughout his entire political career

It really is great how often they seem to expect him or try to force him to pivot, just to be given the 'lol gently caress you, trans people are people too' treatment

interviewer: c'mon jeremy don't you think that anyone is subhuman scum??? *eagerly awaits jezza's confession that he is a lizardperson*

the absolute boy: no

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Jan 29, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

Absolutely.
Fascism was aided and abetted.

but the commies!!!!!

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/robertametsola/status/957916435682119681

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MikeCrotch posted:

The two conflicts happened for very different reasons and there was nothing inevitable about WWII after WWI
On the other hand, some contemporaries recognized the peace after WWI as a two-decade ceasefire rather than an actual peace, so you could probably argue that it was pretty hard to avoid giving the political conditions in Europe.

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Jan 29, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

solution to brexit, cede the uk to malta

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

nopantsjack posted:

The Brits are a close 2nd for worst loving actor in WWII.

Right-o, let's give Hitler everything he wants and then when he attacks let's run away and only fight when our overseas interests are endangered.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Right-o, let's give Hitler everything he wants and then when he attacks let's run away and only fight when our overseas interests are endangered.

well there's a lot of ideological similarity between the third reich and the british empire

it's like a war between brothers

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

well there's a lot of ideological similarity between the third reich and the british empire

The amount of chumminess that happened between the British aristocracy and the Nazi leadership is astounding.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zeal posted:

Not for nothing did Hitler expect first that Britain would let him do whatever he wanted in the east, and when the war started that they'd capitulate on reasonable terms after the fall of France. And if Halifax had had his way, they might well have, so despite almost everything else about him, it was probably worth having Churchill around at that point.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frijolero posted:

The amount of chumminess that happened between the British aristocracy and the Nazi leadership is astounding.

I was thinking more of the complete acceptance of fascist Italy but continue

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Frijolero posted:

Worse than the Japanese Empire, fascist Italy and Stalin's Russia?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Probably 4th and honestly Romania was probably worse than italy (and probably fought better) as well.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lawman 0 posted:

Probably 4th and honestly Romania was probably worse than italy (and probably fought better) as well.

What did Romania do?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The aristocracy, including some very high level people like Edward, loved the Nazis and formed actual families and friendships with them.

Meanwhile, the political elite appeased Hitler and acted very cynically throughout the entirety of the war.

You can argue that Churchill at least antagonized Hitler, but lol that fat piece of poo poo spent most of his time protecting colonial resources and letting everyone else do the actual fighting.

Whorelord posted:

Worse than the Japanese Empire, fascist Italy and Stalin's Russia?

The USSR defeated the Nazis so they're easily #1 Best WWII Nation.

Japan is tied with Germany for #1 Worst. Italy is close 3rd because ultimately they hosed themselves more than they hosed anyone else (And their greatest crime, the Invasion of Abyssinia, happened under the UK and France's silent approval and was ultimately legitimized by both the UK and France).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I mean, you could argue that the Italians were worse based on their stated objectives - with only their inability to carry out their plans saving them from looking like a real bad guy during the war. On the other hand, if that's how we measure badness, we should definitely also take into consideration all the things the other actors wanted to do but couldn't.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

tarbrush posted:

What did Romania do?

Kill shitton of Roma, Jews and Ukrainians (I think they were promised a chunk of Ukraine right?) before pulling an Italian style switchero

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The stuff the axis minor partners did should really get more attention imo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

italy is actually the best because if germany hadn't had to pull a bunch of their units out of russia to go save italy in the caucusus, moscow prolly would have fallen and ww2 would have prolly taken another few years to end

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lawman 0 posted:

The stuff the axis minor partners did should really get more attention imo

We should've nuked Croatia.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
loudly exclaiming that the balkans did something horrible again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/sta...er%3D181%23pti1

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like you need some Lexit

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:lol:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

financially racist posted:

italy is actually the best because if germany hadn't had to pull a bunch of their units out of russia to go save italy in the caucusus, moscow prolly would have fallen and ww2 would have prolly taken another few years to end

This is historical illiteracy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Let's not forget getting their poo poo completely pushed in by and surrendering to a British army that consisted of about six blokes and a dog, leading to Hitler having to throw a bunch of his best troops into North Africa rather than at Moscow.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Frijolero posted:

We should've nuked Croatia.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

loudly exclaiming that the balkans did something horrible again

use the second nuke on serbia

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

all because a limey boy hosed a pig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

If Italy had been more competently run, Mussolini would have felt comfortable standing up to Germany on the question of Austria, kicking off a German-Italian war in '38 - possibly preventing WW2 altogether.