Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/958022020117286912

It is pretty cool that reps and dems only view DREAMers as capital and abstract concepts.

Edit: COPS
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/958044553172410373

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

lmao

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
He looks like loving Carrie, what was he doing, rolling in the guy's blood after he shot him? :stare:

Also crossposting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/sports/baseball/cleveland-indians-chief-wahoo-logo.html

I think they're keeping the name which is dumb but this is a step forward at least.

The usual suspects are predictably angry.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

He looks like loving Carrie, what was he doing, rolling in the guy's blood after he shot him? :stare:

Also crossposting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/sports/baseball/cleveland-indians-chief-wahoo-logo.html

I think they're keeping the name which is dumb but this is a step forward at least.

The usual suspects are predictably angry.

quote:

Some proponents of the logo say that it, and the team name, actually honors American Indians. But others say the use of ethnic groups as mascots and nicknames for teams is demeaning.

As usual, the media pulls stupid BOTHSAME bullshit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think you looked at the full pictures. It's a guy pretending to be bloodied up and admitting it was faked just to "send a message" about the dangers cops face or whatever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Whenever the Washington Redskins start getting pushed to change their name the typical garbage comes out to say why it's totally not offensive.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think you looked at the full pictures. It's a guy pretending to be bloodied up and admitting it was faked just to "send a message" about the dangers cops face or whatever.

Oh god you're right, I just looked at the previews. That's even worse.

Roadie posted:

As usual, the media pulls stupid BOTHSAME bullshit.

Of course they did lmao.

If they wanted to honor Native Americans, they'd ask local tribes to help them redesign it to be cool and good. Instead they're douchebags about it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The

Cops

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The idea of shooting someone fleeing from you is disgusting. Then the "calm down" at the end after he just shot him a few times is incredibly infuriating.
According to the officer's side of the story, he didn't shoot him because he was fleeing. Also, what do you feel is appropriate to say to someone after you shoot them, if an apology will be construed as an admission of wrongdoing?

Grapplejack posted:

We give these assholes tasers, why don't they use them?
I don't know if a taser would likely work at that range. Tasers are sort of in this weird area where they are definitely an insufficiently reliable response to immanent lethal danger, but they aren't supposed to be compliance tools either.

Radish posted:

Remember all the Serious Legal types on this forum were falling over themselves to explain why that was totally legal and therefor justified because the kid blinked his lights at the cop then didn't get out of his car when it came up in the old Cops in the Beat threads.
I think you're conflating two cases. In the Deven Guilford case, the motorist illegally flashed his brights, refused to provide ID when stopped, and, when he was being handcuffed, assaulted the cop and battered him nearly to the point of unconsciousness. Opinions ranged from "flashing your brights shouldn't be punishable by death" to assaulting a cop being a totally reasonable response to being tased, to arguing that the cop had shot the motorist while the motorist was fleeing and had battered his own face because ACAB, with several people in the latter group pulling a full on Westworld "That doesn't look like anything to me" in response to the release of the slowed down body cam.

Mr Hootington posted:

what the absolute poo poo, dude
:lol: he should have carved a backwards B in his face too.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
All cops in America should be exiled

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it rules so hard that DR has no opinion about the officer intentionally covering up his body cam

that, just, you know. things happen. not worthy of comment

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
gently caress off DR.

An article about school vouchers in Milwaukee, statistical performance, and reporting by the WSJ on these things.

Edit: so as not to bury the lede, tl;dr a study shows that vouchers are a waste of time, and WSJ printed a hilarious article trying to twist this into a positive for vouchers.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 29, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, what do you feel is appropriate to say to someone after you shoot them, if an apology will be construed as an admission of wrongdoing?

a sick one-liner of course

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

it rules so hard that DR has no opinion about the officer intentionally covering up his body cam

that, just, you know. things happen. not worthy of comment
Do we know it was intentional? It seems odd that he's carrying his beanie the entire time, but it also seems unlikely he would have the presence of mind to be able to hold it in the exact right place to compromise the video during a foot chase and gunfight.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Radish posted:

Whenever the Washington Redskins start getting pushed to change their name the typical garbage comes out to say why it's totally not offensive.

And so easy to fix!

The only good thing PETA has ever produced.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh god you're right, I just looked at the previews. That's even worse.

To be fair, I really don't like the way Twitter's image previews work. They always show you random portions of an image that are often completely worthless and don't give you a good impression of what the picture is actually of/about. I would rather they just shrink the whole image.

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to the officer's side of the story, he didn't shoot him because he was fleeing.

What excuse would even work here? Something like "he was running away and by chasing him I could have fallen down the stairs and broken my neck; ergo I killed him in self defense"? I can't think of anything that would ever justify shooting a fleeing suspect except for maybe a mass shooter who started running away.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Dead "the police get maximum leeway and common sense interpretation of the rules insofar as I care about them but civilians have to follow the rules to the letter or executing them is fair game" Reckoning, champion of the true poor underdogs, American police.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

to assaulting a cop being a totally reasonable response to being tased

The kid feared for his life, and according to cops anything you do while in fear of your life is by definition reasonable.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Do we know it was intentional? It seems odd that he's carrying his beanie the entire time, but it also seems unlikely he would have the presence of mind to be able to hold it in the exact right place to compromise the video during a foot chase and gunfight.

i remember, once, in the long-long ago, someone told me that spoliation of evidence rules were enough to stop cops from doing anything untoward with body cams

time flies when you'd rather shoot someone than chase 'em, but would prefer not to have to explain why you'd done so, eh

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

The kid feared for his life, and according to cops anything you do while in fear of your life is by definition reasonable.

*offer not valid if you're not actually a cop.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to the officer's side of the story, he didn't shoot him because he was fleeing. Also, what do you feel is appropriate to say to someone after you shoot them, if an apology will be construed as an admission of wrongdoing?

We don't know what happened because the camera was covered. I don't think anyone in this situation should be taken at their word. What we do see, is a cop entering an apartment, a person fleeing, and the cop shooting the person fleeing.

There is no apparent danger from the video we see. The cop's use of force, let alone the irresponsible manner he used it, was not justified.

You know what he should have said to him after he shot him? "my god, what have I done. Please forgive me." he then should have quit being a cop and started an advocacy group fighting police brutality.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The cop will claim to be scared and by the rules of this country, that makes it a legal killing. Cops legally don't need any excuse but being afraid. They don't need any proof they were afraid. They don't need the fear to be rational.

They just need to be able to say: "in the split second they pulled the trigger, if you ignore all context, could the officer have been afraid?" If so, good job killing today.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to the officer's side of the story...

who the gently caress cares

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chomskyan posted:

I'm sorry, you are officially a Cop Hater (tm) and now you're Part of the Problem with D&D, according to yronic heroism.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

These discussions are always "fun" because the point we eventually reach is that even if a cop decided to stalk and murder me, I would have no right of self-defense and my legal duty is to comply with every order he gives me and remind myself that later my family would have the opportunity to file a lawsuit against the city for my wrongful death, but defending myself would immediately give the cop legal justification to execute me on the spot anyway.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Chomskyan posted:

Even if the cop's side of the story is true, it doesn't justify the actions whatsoever.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Maybe this time the cop's reasoning won't be utter bullshit. There's always a first.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress off you goddam nazi

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

These discussions are always "fun" because the point we eventually reach is that even if a cop decided to stalk and murder me, I would have no right of self-defense and my legal duty is to comply with every order he gives me and remind myself that later my family would have the opportunity to file a lawsuit against the city for my wrongful death, but defending myself would immediately give the cop legal justification to execute me on the spot anyway.

Or how much pushback you get for simple ideas like "cops should go to jail for lying under oath" or "cops should go to jail for destruction of police property" or "cops shouldn't be allowed to murder children just because they get scared"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

This is 100% how it is. If a cop wants to kill a person, even a drat kid, there is nothing from stopping them from doing so. Any attempt at reasonable non lethal defence is immediately reacted to with lethal force. The only answer is to remove lethal force from the police. 99.99% of police interactions do not require a weapon. that remaining .01% can be reserved for special units with training, ridiculous regulations, and oversight.

Beat cops and car jockeys need to get it out of their head that they are there to do anything but file reports.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Imagine being a cop apologist in the year 2018, holy moly

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Beat cops and car jockeys need to get it out of their head that they are there to do anything but file reports.

Cops have the same victim complex they blame POC and the poor for having. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so infuriating.

Basically they see themselves as doing some great public service we should all fellate them for it, instead of a dangerous job with no glory which they knowingly accepted.

I have no patience for meatheaded glory hounds who think they're God's gift to policing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

white sauce posted:

Imagine being a cop apologist in the year 2018, holy moly

DR is a fascist and racist.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
yeah those police were totally justified in beating up a diabetic, slamming him on the hood of his car, and denying him orange juice and any necessary medical intervention.

and it definitely should have set a precedent for any future use of force cases.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah those police were totally justified in beating up a diabetic, slamming him on the hood of his car, and denying him orange juice and any necessary medical intervention.

and it definitely should have set a precedent for any future use of force cases.

Don’t forget just throwing him in his front yard after they realized he was innocent (no crime had occurred) and in a diabetic shock!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If they hadn't left him to die they might have been admitting fault so it's understandable they acted like sociopaths.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The focus on the middle class is because middle class defections is what gave us the Reagan wave. It's a CW - I have no idea how correct. So all Dem politicians from that era have a rhetorical focus on the middle class.

Trabisnikof posted:

The cop will claim to be scared and by the rules of this country, that makes it a legal killing. Cops legally don't need any excuse but being afraid. They don't need any proof they were afraid. They don't need the fear to be rational.

They just need to be able to say: "in the split second they pulled the trigger, if you ignore all context, could the officer have been afraid?" If so, good job killing today.

not to let cops off the hook, but one reason its 'legal' is that its a standard that juries will accept...juries seemingly will not hold cops accountable.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 29, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

If they hadn't left him to die they might have been admitting fault so it's understandable they acted like sociopaths.

Oh this reminds me of the funtime arguments where the cop shot the mental health facility worker who was lying on the ground with his hands in the air begging not to be shot, and when the cop said "oh uh oops I missed I was trying to hit the autistic guy with the toy truck" and the obvious followup question "well why did you handcuff the guy you shot if you knew he wasn't a criminal" was easily waved away because getting him medical treatment is somehow admitting fault and we all know what's more important than human life right, that's right, the risk that a cop might suffer consequences for shooting an innocent man!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

not to let cops off the hook, but one reason its 'legal' is that its a standard that juries will accept...juries seemingly will not hold cops accountable.

That's because that's the standard they're told is the law. Sure if we could get jury nullification going that's one thing, but you'll get kicked from a jury if they think you might nullify.

With an instruction like that, it is easy to see how so many juries acquit, especially when the prosecution isn't working too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

This is not true. Police are allowed to use deadly force based on an objectively reasonable perception of a threat of death, or serious bodily injury. Scared has nothing to do with it, and the fear must be rational. The fact that you keep spreading false information like this makes having these discussions much harder.

Ze Pollack posted:

i remember, once, in the long-long ago, someone told me that spoliation of evidence rules were enough to stop cops from doing anything untoward with body cams

time flies when you'd rather shoot someone than chase 'em, but would prefer not to have to explain why you'd done so, eh
If it is shown that the officer intentionally obstructed the view of the body camera, then, when the case goes to trial, the jury should be instructed to infer that the footage would have been unfavorable to the officer's claim of reasonable perception of a threat.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Even if the cop's side of the story is true, it doesn't justify the actions whatsoever.

Ytlaya posted:

What excuse would even work here? Something like "he was running away and by chasing him I could have fallen down the stairs and broken my neck; ergo I killed him in self defense"? I can't think of anything that would ever justify shooting a fleeing suspect except for maybe a mass shooter who started running away.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There is no apparent danger from the video we see. The cop's use of force, let alone the irresponsible manner he used it, was not justified.
Per the police, Aquoness Cathery had a gun when they arrived, and the officer fired when Cathery turned around and pointed it at him. The police recovered a gun at the scene.

VitalSigns posted:

This is not true, and being tased and taken into custody by the police is not a situation which should arouse a reasonable fear of immanent death. Also, most jurisdictions severely limit the availability of self defense if you are in the process of committing a crime (like, say, resisting a lawful arrest.)

• Locked thread