Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rookersh posted:

I think saying it should be dark for the sake of "grimdark" are pretty dumb, but I also think completely waving over the lightning changes is equally bad?

There was a 1 for 1 picture of Vlad/Isabella on a Sylvania battle map in both games, and it looks awful in WH2 compared to the much darker WH1. It's also not hard to say the lighting in the portholes is terrible, you can see the painted on shadows under eyes in a lot of human/vampire models. The adviser porthole also looks super washed out.

This isn't even getting into stuff like how Archaon's model reacts to it.

It's pretty evident they lightened up the game quite considerably with 2, and it works just fine for all the WH2 races since they were built around it. The ME races more often then not look worse off though.

I don't think that I'm glossing over anything about the technical aspects of lighting changes? I didn't mention it in the post at all, and only brought that example up because it's also someone being dumb about ~the lore~ online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Tomb Princes have by far the best curse too

"gently caress your mum"

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Once you get 7 armies rolling around and 4 level 5 cities the Tomb Kings are just fun as all hell. 2 tomb scorpions in every army. They're a lot more effective in pairs so they don't get isolated or focused. If one gets stuck you just send in the other one to unstick it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yeah, some of my skellies are hard to see against the desert. What mod are you using to make the game a bit darker?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JBP posted:

Actually my only complaint is if I spend a few hours doing nothing but desert stuff my eyes start to hurt bc it's the same as staring wide eyed at an actual desert in the middle of the day.

No it isn't lol.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that there is supposed to be light adaptation that isn't working in any of the new maps.

Arglebargle III posted:

No it isn't lol.

Turn off SSAO and check that poo poo out.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How are you supposed to use lightly armored killy units like Slayers, Swordmasters, and other two-handed weapon wielders? When I put my HE swordmasters on the flanks, the enemy archers focus fire them to death. When I put them in the middle of the line, they seem to die faster than even basic spears/swords and need rescuing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arglebargle III posted:

No it isn't lol.

Yes it is. It's really bright and I play on ultra wide so it's bombarding my eyes and they get sore and tired, whereas playing as vamps could be a fourteen hour session with no eye tiredness.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JBP posted:

Yes it is. It's really bright and I play on ultra wide so it's bombarding my eyes and they get sore and tired, whereas playing as vamps could be a fourteen hour session with no eye tiredness.
:goonsay:

Your monitor is not capable of light intensity anywhere near a bright sunny day lol.

To say nothing of ultraviolet light haha goddamn

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Your monitor is not capable of light intensity anywhere near a bright sunny day lol.

Sorry I am only imagining that my eyes get sore from looking at the desert part of the map for long periods. Sorry.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Go outside dude

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, im sure he literally meant that..... Great post!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's also worth pointing out that the battle maps in Warhammer are capable of loading in several different weather conditions, which changes the lighting values quite a bit.

Arglebargle III posted:

It is, however, capable of causing eye strain. That's why it's recommended to match your screen's overall brightness with the light levels in your room, which is fine for work but sucks for sperging.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Go outside dude

Do you go outside and then statically look at a bright area? That's not normal when you're outside. I wear sunglasses because they're nice for my eyes and also look cool. I also move from bright to shaded areas while I am outside and the intensity of the light changes often.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Turn on the lights in your cave I guess?

This is the gooniest conversation btw

Before you start moving the goalposts you said it was the same as staring at an actual desert lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I live in a house.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Find my harem

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

In before "this thread said 500 new posts and I thought Norsca was out but it's just some goons arguing about the intensity of light, mods?"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe don't stare into a lamp for 14 hours.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

As an experienced gamer who games every day I laugh at your sore ill adjusted eyes which can't handle the vigor of a 14 hour gaming session.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rookersh posted:

I think saying it should be dark for the sake of "grimdark" are pretty dumb, but I also think completely waving over the lightning changes is equally bad?

There was a 1 for 1 picture of Vlad/Isabella on a Sylvania battle map in both games, and it looks awful in WH2 compared to the much darker WH1. It's also not hard to say the lighting in the portholes is terrible, you can see the painted on shadows under eyes in a lot of human/vampire models. The adviser porthole also looks super washed out.

This isn't even getting into stuff like how Archaon's model reacts to it.

It's pretty evident they lightened up the game quite considerably with 2, and it works just fine for all the WH2 races since they were built around it. The ME races more often then not look worse off though.

https://imgur.com/a/Dtjst#BmJngph there it is. There's a difference between "I want it Grimdark" and that. The WH2 stuff looks amateur and super washed out.

WH2 looks better because you can actually see the environmental and character details.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I'm a hardcore gamer so I hiss and scuttle under the nearest object when exposed to bright light

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Anyone else notice Khatep sounds like old school Megatron?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lots of dorks posting here, between the outside-goers and the cave-dwellers. As a cool guy, I close all my blinds to experience maximum immersion and marathon warhammer campaigns, collapsing in my computer chair if I must sleep. I also play all battles by sound, and angle my camera directly into the in-game sun. I wear sunglasses, of course.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Someone needs to make a comic of Settra squinting at the rays of light coming into his pyramid, getting up and closing the blinds.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I think there's a big lightning difference between high and ultra settings, or between dx11 and dx12, not sure which. I've played the same battle under different setting and the Empire mans went from looking very cartoonish due to bright colours and lack of shading to fitting into the scene better.

Also the goon tourny is now live! Find your opponent on Discord and work out a time to play.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

LLSix posted:

How are you supposed to use lightly armored killy units like Slayers, Swordmasters, and other two-handed weapon wielders? When I put my HE swordmasters on the flanks, the enemy archers focus fire them to death. When I put them in the middle of the line, they seem to die faster than even basic spears/swords and need rescuing.

The AI loves to focus fire strong units without shields, yeah. My advice would be staggering your line by putting them further back than your other troops. You don't need a perfect line. They'll start shooting at your better shielded units first and you'll have more time to take them out with your own archers, monsters, fliers or cav. They will still switch over to shooting them when they get into range though (but take time re-positioning), so you need to be proactively taking the archers out asap. It may even be worth keeping them in reserve until you do. Use spells or buffs too. Other than that you should just expect them to take heavy loses and factor that into your army compositions. I tend to favor shielded troops for this exact reason.

Slayers shouldn't be near the front lines though.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 30, 2018

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The lighting looks awful or maybe just bugged a lot of the time, and can indeed cause eye strain, but I guess im just one of those dang basement dwelling neckbeards. Thankfully there are several different mods that cater to my repulsive, cheeto stained body and my squinting pig eyes

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is Settra's AI set to never really expand and instead run around pimp-slapping all his neighbours in turn? He's at war with everyone touching his turf (except my Last Defenders and our allies the wood elves) and could have wiped out several of them a dozen turns ago but he seems content to sack two of them every turn and move on. At this rate I'm going to grab the Black Pyramid before he bothers to.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Back on release some people were talking about upvetting core infantry one or two chevrons if you could manage it, is that still a good idea?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shumagorath posted:

Is Settra's AI set to never really expand and instead run around pimp-slapping all his neighbours in turn? He's at war with everyone touching his turf (except my Last Defenders and our allies the wood elves) and could have wiped out several of them a dozen turns ago but he seems content to sack two of them every turn and move on. At this rate I'm going to grab the Black Pyramid before he bothers to.

That sounds about right for Settra, yeah. He is "get off my lawn" in the mummified flesh.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

StashAugustine posted:

Back on release some people were talking about upvetting core infantry one or two chevrons if you could manage it, is that still a good idea?

Less so now. They reduced the amount of melee defence you get and increased the cost slightly. It's still worthwhile on very cheap troops like Skinks and Empire Spearmen.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Shumagorath posted:

In my Arkhan Vortex campaign he seemed absolutely and 100% fixated on the Black Pyramid. He would never take it, just spend turn after turn murdering the garrison and any lords it spawned over and over again. He had other lords with him and they were mostly mauling the Black Pyramid too. It was pretty funny and weird and so by the time I got to fight him he was extremely powerful, high levelled, but didn't have much territory. Judging by how things look since I finally got a good start on my Khalida Mortal Empires campaign, he's doing exactly the same thing again in spite of the fact his leader traits make him basically wanna colonise everything and expand his empire.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
How do you feel about the Tomb King building tiers and unit caps?

Basic infantry building seems a good deal. At tier 3 you are getting 4 archers, 2 warriors, a Tomb guard and a Halberd Tomb guard. So on a standard 3 settlement province that's 12 archers, 6 warriors and 6 guard.

Chariot building is weird, you can get it at tier 1 so can get chariots very early, but you need to get to tier 3 to get the catapult. I don't think the catapults are good enough to justify this investment. They could have made them available at tier 2 and just not had a 3rd tier to make it cheaper.

Cavalry is the only building chain that has 5 tiers. You spend a lot of money to get to tier 5 but the upshot is you're getting plenty of different cavalry units along the way. Cavalry also kind of has overlap with chariots; they share missile upgrades and function kind of similarly.

Ushtabi building can be built in minor settlements but the bow version is so nice I like to just build it in the capital in order to be able to get it to tier 4.

Scorpion building is standalone which feels kind of weird. It might make more sense for it to just be tied to the tier 5 cavalry building. On one hand, you need tier 5 settlement to unlock them but on the other hand the building that gives them gives you tons of other units too.

Big monsters each have their own tier 5 building which encourages you to have plenty of capitals to get them but at that point you're probably doing so well it's not a big deal.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Is anyone elses games have greenskins murdering everything? In my khalida game they've killed all the dwarves and border princes and are in a hellwar with the wood elves and von carsteins.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

albany academy posted:

Is anyone elses games have greenskins murdering everything? In my khalida game they've killed all the dwarves and border princes and are in a hellwar with the wood elves and von carsteins.

They buffed their fightiness so they get waaghs more and dint just sit around in low fightiness losing their army to attrition.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Why can't you manually target with the soul casket? :saddowns:

They also can't seem to ground target.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

albany academy posted:

This sounds lore accurate.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Space Skeleton posted:

Why can't you manually target with the soul casket? :saddowns:

They also can't seem to ground target.

They can’t hit units that shut their eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

They can’t hit units that shut their eyes

Sixth Edition Rules Accurate