Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm pretty sure George Miller said the Mad Max movies are just apocalyptic camp fire tales.

He did. That's why the continuity between them is quite loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Krispy Wafer posted:

There’s helluva gay and then there’s weirdly homoerotic. Mad Max is weirdly homoerotic. Like it probably makes gay guys uncomfortable. Even Max’s precinct captain looks like a backup for the Village People. An academic argument could be made that the Rockatansky’s represent the last traditional nuclear family and their demise signals the apocalypse in Road Warrior.

Yeah, it's homoerotic right in the text. No question about it. Good point about the nuclear family too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm pretty sure George Miller said the Mad Max movies are just apocalyptic camp fire tales.

I distinctly remember an interview with him where he said this and likened it to Arthurian Legend for the post-post-apocalyptic world. Can't find it right now though.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Of course Max existed. He just died in the desert after spinning Gulag on the Wheel.

I love the idea of him being a folk hero. He definitely was in Road Warrior.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, it's homoerotic right in the text. No question about it. Good point about the nuclear family too.

Can only wonder where to start with Fury Road's sexual themes there.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I just assumed the first Mad Max was an accurate look at Australian police in the late 70s/early 80s. This is because the first time I ever saw Mad Max 1+2, I had a fever of 103, was slowly dying in my bed from a combination of whatever my mom gave me and my fever, and then they both came on Turner Classic Movies as a double feature, complete with a boatload of trivia in between the two movies.

I do like how the world is steadily worse as the movies go on, as you go from "Australia but worse" in the first movie to Fury Road having a massive desert where the Pacific Ocean should be. Time goes on, the world keeps breaking and burning but Max is still alive, and that's all that matters to him.

Oh and his car but it got wrecked in Fury Road so even that was too much goodness for him to have.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

MacheteZombie posted:

Also don't skip Mad Max, it's a dope flick. I like it more than Road Warrior.

I agree that Mad Max is a movie everyone should see but saying it's better than Mad Max 2 is objectively crazy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

I agree that Mad Max is a movie everyone should see but saying it's better than Mad Max 2 is objectively crazy

Toecutter is a great villain and I love how lowkey the movie is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

exquisite tea posted:

The whole message behind Taxi Driver's ending is that Travis hasn't changed at all...It's not a happy ending at all, Travis is still as paranoid and lonely as ever, and you're supposed to feel disgusted by the tonal shift. "It was all a dream" in addition to just being a lameass conclusion to any piece of media in general, just completely misses the point.

I suppose. Seemed like a happy ending for Iris and, considering what he did, a happy ending for Travis in as much as he's not on trial for what he did. To be clear, "dream" in this sense means Travis died in the brothel, which isn't a stretch considering the punishment he took.

I see your point. I just thought the ending strained credibility and suspension of disbelief since, like I said, i honestly can't think of a similar case besides maybe Goetz.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Don Gato posted:

Oh and his car but it got wrecked in Fury Road so even that was too much goodness for him to have.

His car is also destroyed in Road Warrior and it's not even in Beyond Thunderdome

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Thunderdome being a campfire story about beloved folk hero "Mad" Max Rockatansky is the only way Tina Turner letting him go at the end makes any goddamn sense.

It's the only way Fury Road makes sense at all. Furiosa is close to as old as Max, but she grew up when the old society was long gone while he was a cop before the collapse. This is literally impossible - unless Max is a myth hero to whom many men's deeds are attributed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fury Road would be a reboot anyway since he had the car back.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

rydiafan posted:

Max didn't have a daughter, he had a son. None of the people in his hallucinations appears in any of the other films. No Mad Max film is connected to any other Mad Max film.

I actually like the fan theory that there is no Mad Max. These are unrelated anecdotes, each of which has had a central person modified to be Mad Max so the story would fit into the legends, similar to how the Norse took the story of Jesus being crucified and stabbed with a spear and substituted Odin.

Some guy named Anthony murdered Toecutter. Brian was a road warrior. Nathan went beyond Thunderdome. Jonathan drove the Fury Road. But through retelling after retelling all of those things were done by Mad Max.

Edit: ^^^ similar to that, but I think they all really happened, just not to one guy.

How about, "if you watch Mad Max like a decade or so ago, it will make you think you understand the context of Max' hallucinations in Fury Road better but you actually don't because you are wrong."?

And I also approve of the theory that Mad Max is post-apocalypse Australia Paul Bunyan and his Interceptor is the Big Blue Ox.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Phy posted:

Earth ironically saved by fracking! THAT'S the Shyamalan Twist!

But I think both the "It's demons" and "It's contaminated" theories are trying to bend over backwards to rescue an otherwise good movie from a stupid fridge premise. Demons moreso than contamination.

I still like it a lot because Greys are what creep me out, going back to when I was a kid watching Close Encounters, and it's fun being spooked by things that scare you when they don't actually exist, and it's more fun watching Joaquin Phoenix haul off and smoke one with a baseball bat.

(I also liked The Fourth Kind and Dark Skies.)

The thing that creeps me out about Greys is that they've mastered interstellar travel but are always buck naked. Not even socks.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Keith Atherton posted:

I've never watched the movie because apparently it's awful but I watch that trailer from time to time because it's so good

https://youtu.be/6GmLfivKQL8
Still an amazing trailer indeed.
I didn't mind Salvation, it was a decent-ish forgettable action movie; just nothing spectacular about it.
I do think they should have kept the ending where John dies, but to keep the resistance going and him being such a symbol they graft John's skin and brain into human-terminator.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Man, I’d be naked all the time too if I wouldn’t get arrested.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whatever you think of Terminator Genisys and Jai Courtney, I think it's hilarious how the implication is that Skynet keeps getting away with austrian bodybuilders as disguises because Kyle Reese is jacked as hell.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Whatever you think of Terminator Genisys and Jai Courtney, I think it's hilarious how the implication is that Skynet keeps getting away with austrian bodybuilders as disguises because Kyle Reese is jacked as hell.

kyle reese does NOT work for skynet.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Don Gato posted:

I just assumed the first Mad Max was an accurate look at Australian police in the late 70s/early 80s. This is because the first time I ever saw Mad Max 1+2, I had a fever of 103, was slowly dying in my bed from a combination of whatever my mom gave me and my fever, and then they both came on Turner Classic Movies as a double feature, complete with a boatload of trivia in between the two movies.

I do like how the world is steadily worse as the movies go on, as you go from "Australia but worse" in the first movie to Fury Road having a massive desert where the Pacific Ocean should be. Time goes on, the world keeps breaking and burning but Max is still alive, and that's all that matters to him.

I still pretend Australia is exactly like Mad Max(es) once you get away from the population centers.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I still pretend Australia is exactly like Mad Max(es) once you get away from the population centers.

"Pretend"?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Funnily enough, the recent mad max game fleshes out what max was doing before the movie and puts a name and story behind the girl he sees during his initial escape attempt. It makes sense in context.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Like the Continental in John Wick or the entirety of Buckaroo Banzai, the flashbacks are better left unexplained

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Smiling Jack posted:

Like the Continental in John Wick or the entirety of Buckaroo Banzai, the flashbacks are better left unexplained

This is why I never want a sequel/remake of Big Trouble in Little China, and why I wish Prometheus wasn't made.

The Space Jockey was a big alien elephant, and that's all we needed to know.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

rydiafan posted:

Max didn't have a daughter, he had a son. None of the people in his hallucinations appears in any of the other films. No Mad Max film is connected to any other Mad Max film.

This is not true, you know. The first two movies are connected in many, many ways: the V8 Interceptor is born in the former and dies in the latter; Max is kneecapped in the former, wears a leg brace in the latter; the former is explicitly set in Australia, the latter merely strongly hints that it does (Max's sheepdog, the feral kid's boomerang, etc.); in Road Warrior, Max wears a MFP uniform, with battle damage that can be traced back directly to events in the previous movie; the Gayboy Berserkers wear the same uniforms, with MFP badges even, and drive in converted police cruisers (with roof sirens etc.); and so on

It's no use denying it and in fact, they're really cool little details

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Do they ever explain why Max’s jacket only has one sleeve?

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Coffee And Pie posted:

Do they ever explain why Max’s jacket only has one sleeve?
In the same scene where he's kneecapped, Max's left arm Is run over by motorcycle as he's reaching for his shotgun. I always figured that he had the sleeve cut off by an EMT in oder to treat the arm after the events of the film.

Subtle movie moment: after being shot in the knee, Max wastes the guy who shot him, and then drags himself back to his car. As he drives off, you can hear a gearchange with a pause and throttle blip in it, as someone who had just been shot in the leg and couldn't use the clutch would do.

Edit: also, if you look quick, there's a picture of Max's wife and kid stuck in the center of the Pursuit Special's steering wheel.

Pretzellogic has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Jan 31, 2018

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

MacheteZombie posted:

Also don't skip Mad Max, it's a dope flick. I like it more than Road Warrior.

I agree with this, for a couple of reasons: the original Mad Max owns, and also because Fury Road completely obviates the need to watch Road Warrior. Don't get me wrong, the latter was one of my favorite movies for a long time, but it's impossible to watch it now without thinking that it was a low-budget dry-run of the movie he really wanted to make, it just took him 35 years to get around to it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The original Mad Max is based on how crazy things got during the oil crisis of the early 70s. It's exaggerated but still based more in the recent past (only a few years from when it came out) than in a dystopic future.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jan 31, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
God drat I need to see Fury Road.

Come on Netflix.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cat Hatter posted:

lol

BiggerBoat posted:

God drat I need to see Fury Road.

Come on Netflix.

Don't tell me a title is available in Australia that's not available in other regions. Normally we're the ones getting hosed on this stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Smiling Jack posted:

There's actually a ton of backstory to Buckaroo Banzai that has never been been released, the screenwriter Earl Mac Rauch took years and years to finish the screenplay because he kept starting stories, getting them half finished and then abandoning them and starting over with a completely different story. Apparently by the time they started filming there was a 300 page book that was a collection of all the unfinished Buckaroo Banzai scripts.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I'm a blue blaze irregular from way back

captain happen was framed

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The novelization of the movie (written by Rauch) is full of those details and little asides.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Did any of them explain why there was a watermelon there?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Did any of them explain why there was a watermelon there?

I mean, the real reason was that the production staff used it to see if a particularly meddling producer was still paying attention to the dailies. No idea if there was ever an in-universe reason given.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

The novelization of the movie (written by Rauch) is full of those details and little asides.

yeah, and it works. Explaining it all in film would have ruined the vibe

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best part of the film is that it feels like you unwittingly started watching some really long and elaborate film series on at least the fifth film. It's probably what it feels like if someone with no familiarity with comics would start watching the MCU with Civil War.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best part of the film is that it feels like you unwittingly started watching some really long and elaborate film series on at least the fifth film. It's probably what it feels like if someone with no familiarity with comics would start watching the MCU with Civil War.

Perhaps. I recall watching it several times as a kid and didn't feel lost.
Then again, I watched a ton of weird poo poo so I may be atypical.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Memento posted:

lol

Don't tell me a title is available in Australia that's not available in other regions. Normally we're the ones getting hosed on this stuff.

I'm pretty sure HBO has it in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I bought it on Amazon and it was worth every penny to have it downloaded to all my devices. poo poo owns.

Hell I'm gonna go watch the final chase sequence right now