Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

They've made it pretty difficult to do so tbh

They've also made it pretty difficult to gently caress with tax returns that were filed online. I'm pretty sure elections could be done online, the real problem is that it would drastically increase voter turnout, not nebulous "hacking" by some third party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

DariusLikewise posted:

it's apparently incredibly easy to stuff a ballot box

Depends how hard it is to have a fraudulent voter identification card and corresponding ID in the database... which i suppose is difficult. And would affect electronic voting equally.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lmao just go to the polling station you lazy fucks

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

THC posted:

lmao just go to the polling station you lazy fucks

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

this is entirely unsurprising and tbh either the rest of the pcs rally around a consensus candidate like elliott or ford probably wins

so he's basically the living definition of the establishment running as anti-establishment

this is what, attempt #3 at trump politics by the pc

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

remember how it was supposed to be a big scandal that trudeau withdrew our six planes that can barely fly from bombing isis lmao

one of the few good things he did imo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i bet online voting has zero or negative impact on turnout after the novelty wears off since the entire idea is predicated on people who "don't like politics" and/or being too piss lazy to go a half kilometer to their poll

then it'll turn out some FLDS patriarch got all his teen brides to vote Conservative online who wouldn't otherwise be allowed to leave the compound

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

THC posted:

i bet online voting has zero or negative impact on turnout after the novelty wears off since the entire idea is predicated on people who "don't like politics" and/or being too piss lazy to go a half kilometer to their poll

then it'll turn out some FLDS patriarch got all his 19 year old wives to vote Conservative online who wouldn't otherwise be allowed to leave the compound

i always say just make voting both a holiday and absolutely mandatory

like you have to vote, its the law, but you also get the rest of the day off

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

australia has mandatory voting, look how hosed they are

holiday is a good idea though

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
gently caress electronic voting in all forms

no possible upside

many possible downsides

give people meaningful choices and the time to exercise them, or stop pretending that votes matter. computers will not save you

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Terror Sweat posted:

They've also made it pretty difficult to gently caress with tax returns that were filed online. I'm pretty sure elections could be done online, the real problem is that it would drastically increase voter turnout, not nebulous "hacking" by some third party

Securing a tax return is easier. It only needs to be read by the sender and the intended recipient, and there is no need to disassociate the identity of the sender from the data itself.

For online voting to work, you would need a system where the sender cannot be known, the data is readable by everyone yet cannot be altered, and it must be easy enough to use that everyone can do it on any platform. I'm no expert, but I can't think of any cryptosystem that satisfies all these criteria.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
My dude, have you heard of blockchain?

Like what if we could vote from home, but it was painfully slow, massively wasteful, and absolutely trivial to de-anonymize?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Like what if we could vote from home, but it was painfully slow, massively wasteful, and absolutely trivial to de-anonymize?

All those upsides, plus it still wouldn't get rid of the problem of your family members watching over your shoulder as you vote! What a perfect system, sign me up!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you cannot walk across the street and spend 5 minutes voting I am pretty OK with you not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ocrumsprug posted:

If you cannot walk across the street and spend 5 minutes voting I am pretty OK with you not.

I'm assuming this extends to whatever percentage of Canadians live in suburban and rural areas.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

whoa when did this thread start

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

vyelkin posted:

remember how it was supposed to be a big scandal that trudeau withdrew our six planes that can barely fly from bombing isis lmao

Too soon to say "Sea King" because lol this poo poo's been broken for a decade at least right?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm assuming this extends to whatever percentage of Canadians live in suburban and rural areas.

A rural 5 minutes sure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Too soon to say "Sea King" because lol this poo poo's been broken for a decade at least right?

Well sorta, this time it's our rickety old cf-18s that are so old and worn that we're cannibalizing what we have to keep the others in the air, and there's only like two that can fly at any given time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Absolutely, gently caress all rurals

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Could it involve blockchain... and weed?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ocrumsprug posted:

Basically everyone in the military votes by special ballot, in addition to the olds, disabled folks, prisoners, half of dfait I'm sure... who am I missing?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Basically everyone in the military votes by special ballot, in addition to the olds, disabled folks, prisoners, half of dfait I'm sure... who am I missing?

The 1,000,000+ Canadians who live outside the country

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I thought the Cons banned ex-pats from voting or something, I remember a canadian celebrity was very upset

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
no i remember that's one of the con changes that trudeau actually undid because expats tend to vote liberal

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
for the record the change the cons did was to make it so that expats who had been out of the country for 5+ years could no longer vote

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

tbf "Everyone who could be defined as canadian can vote" is a better position than "Everyone who would vote for us can vote"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

tbf "Everyone who could be defined as canadian can vote" is a better position than "Everyone who would vote for us can vote"

since i am currently an expat who will be out of the country for 5+ years i actually appreciate this good thing that trudeau did

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
as a young person i appreciate the fact that they managed to expand CPP which was no easy thing to do.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

my favourite is when the conservative party frames CPP and EI as a tax and its just big guberment taking your hard earned money to spend on trudeau's socks

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Absolutely, gently caress all rurals

Whoa easy there, Canada Post.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Slotducks posted:

Whoa easy there, Canada Post.

Canada Post rules for rurals, I tip my guy with maple syrup and he always delivers my packages right to the door and leaves them if I'm not home. Suburbs with the community boxes, that's a nightmare I've heard.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Community mailboxes are fine in the suburbs. You have legs, use them

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bilirubin posted:

2018 is the year we finally retire the bastards

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Risky Bisquick posted:

no i dont

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Whoa gas this ableist thread.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

what if i'm too fat

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CLAM DOWN posted:

what if i'm too fat

The legs are to walk to your pickup truck to drive to the mailbox which I understand is SOP

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, got a DWI, gonna take the tractor over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Suburbanite: "Why am I so fat????"

*Drives to mailbox located 200ft away*