Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Kilonum posted:

My current bonsai

This is very nice to look at I'd love to see more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

playground tough posted:

This is very nice to look at I'd love to see more

Showing the whole 81 tiles, I'm only using the middle 25.

A lot of districts still only exist in my head, filling things in semi-organically.

I'm only going to put forest industry and low-density commercial and residential east of the main north-south highway for a more suburban feel there.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 28, 2018

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Kilonum posted:

A lot of districts still only exist in my head, filling things in semi-organically.

I'm only going to put forest industry and low-density commercial and residential east of the main north-south highway for a more suburban feel there.

What map is that?

Added an airport to mine. With the core of the city complete it's time to sprawl, sprawl, SPRAWL! Also put a monument on a hill overlooking the city. Couldn't really find anything Mario-esque to honor the city's name of St. Albano so I went with a statue of Zhukov :shrug:

Also CSL map maker is really neat:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Fabulousity posted:

What map is that?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1174922534 This one. Looks like it is based on Juneau.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Ha that's the same map I'm working on at the moment.

Might as well drop a few screenshots of my go at it. It's a bit griddy but I did a 45 degree offset in the north part just to complicate things.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I legit though I was being fooled when I first saw this.

City builders in 20 years are going to be ridiculous.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I agree. The next city builder is gonna be ridiculous.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Meh, too little traffic on the streets. 6/10

*cries in pillow of frustration*

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Aww yeah, maps!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

wow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAshphMfY3M

I've alwasy wanted to make a city builder game that incoporates GTA-ness to the city. No reason you shouldn't be able to run around.

Oh, and also tie the economy to an RTS.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

mutata posted:

Yeah, I agree. The next city builder is gonna be ridiculous.

I see what you did... :smithicide:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

The Deadly Hume posted:

Ha that's the same map I'm working on at the moment.

Might as well drop a few screenshots of my go at it. It's a bit griddy but I did a 45 degree offset in the north part just to complicate things.

Huh. The Workshop map's obviously a winter map - when starting a new city on this map with Snowfall installed, are you able to choose whether you want a temperate or wintry region?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

spincube posted:

Huh. The Workshop map's obviously a winter map - when starting a new city on this map with Snowfall installed, are you able to choose whether you want a temperate or wintry region?
You have to get a mod for it afaik.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If you’re talking about the map Deadly Hume posted, that is definitely not a winter map. It’s one of the Dutch maps by that dude zakarias. It’s one of the most popular maps on the workshop (because it is a great map) and should be easy to find.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KoRMaK posted:

I've alwasy wanted to make a city builder game that incoporates GTA-ness to the city. No reason you shouldn't be able to run around.

Streets of SimCity did this and I'm a bit surprised nothing at all has been done with it since.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SimCopter was the better of the "Visit your city in 3D!" sim games.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mutata posted:

Simcopter 1 reporting heavy traffic.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I was a cissexual, heterosexual male and then I played SimCopter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ms Adequate posted:

I was a cissexual, heterosexual male and then I played SimCopter.

I forgot about that, didn't a guy get fired and like black-balled from the industry?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rescuing people from roofs that were actually stuck in the wall on the side of the building, dragging the water bucket a little too low and wrecking cars, kicking people out of the helicopter just above the safe distance by accident. Good times all around.

Also I found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iArcxOqT2o

Cimcopter, when? Also Streets of Skylines please.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 29, 2018

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

spincube posted:

It's from Zakerias's map pack which are mostly Dutch inspired (which I've mentioned a couple of time a while back). There's usually European and Temperate variants for each.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=426345821

I'm not sure which specific map this is, because there's a lot of them in the pack. (And most of them are pretty good)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Poil posted:

Rescuing people from roofs that were actually stuck in the wall on the side of the building, dragging the water bucket a little too low and wrecking cars, kicking people out of the helicopter just above the safe distance by accident. Good times all around.

Also I found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iArcxOqT2o

Cimcopter, when? Also Streets of Skylines please.

I assume this game isn't on GOG because it doesn't work in modern windows. I hate that the 90s and maybe very early 00s are a deadzone of lost games. I have a copy of Chessmaster 5000 that taunts me every day. (I also have 2 copies of Simcopter (1.0 and 1.1).

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

mutata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vk6hANjLeU :colbert: I still have a Streets of Simcity CD somewhere around here. I remember it being so janky, stupid, and hilariously chaotic I'd call it a kind of a spiritual predecessor to Saints Row 2.

Has Paradox said anything about a sequel for Cities or are they just gonna keep kicking the DLC can down the road?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I enjoyed the hell out of Streets but SimCopter had more SC2000 stuff modeled into the game, so it was a little better to "explore your city" in. Which is sad since Streets looked better.

I have SimCopter and Streets of SC soundtracks on the CS Radio station thing. Feels good.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Which is the best version of that road anarchy mod? There's a few of them.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minenfeld! posted:

Which is the best version of that road anarchy mod? There's a few of them.

I want to say that Fine Road Tool probably is. I think it was the newest and by far best one last time I played .

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I forgot about that, didn't a guy get fired and like black-balled from the industry?

What's the story here

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

What's the story here

quote:

The game gained controversy when it was discovered that designer Jacques Servin inserted sprites of shirtless "himbos" (male bimbos) in Speedo trunks who hugged and kissed each other and appear in great numbers on certain dates. Their fluorescent nipples were drawn with a special rendering mode usually reserved for fog-piercing runway landing lights, so they could easily be seen from long distances in bad weather. A bug caused hundreds of himbos to swarm and crowd around the helicopter, where they would be slashed up by the blades, and then need to be air-lifted to the hospital—which earned the player easy money. The easter egg was caught shortly after release and removed from future copies of the game.

The designer was fired afterwards for adding unauthorized content (which delayed the release of the game, and caused Maxis to miss Christmas season). He cited his actions as a response to the intolerable working conditions he allegedly suffered at Maxis.[1][2] This caused a member of AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP), a gay AIDS organization, to call for a boycott of all of Maxis' products, a measure which Servin rejected.[3] Some months later, a group named RTMark announced its existence and claimed responsibility for the himbos being inserted into the game along with 16 other acts of "creative subversion."[4] Servin stated that he had received a money order of $5,000 from RTMark for the prank.[4]

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This account of him being paid off by an organization called RTMark is bullshit, fyi, and RTMark doesn't exist. He just wanted to quit and gently caress over the company as well as he could.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This man is a hero

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Added an airport to mine. With the core of the city complete it's time to sprawl, sprawl, SPRAWL! Also put a monument on a hill overlooking the city. Couldn't really find anything Mario-esque to honor the city's name of St. Albano so I went with a statue of Zhukov :shrug:

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks for using the Columbia Center. :3:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've heard so many different versions of that story over the years. The popular one for a while was that the programmers were homophobes who included the event so that you could tear gas a bunch of gay men. I have no idea what the real story is but the one posted here sounds just as plausible as anything else. All I know for sure is that I wish I had fog-piercing runway landing lights for nipples... might make it hard to sleep at night though...

Anyway, slightly more on topic, isn't there a mod that unlocks free camera mode in the game or at least allows you to zoom in down to street level? It's not quite the same as being able to fly or drive around your city but it would still give you a firsthand look at your city from the vantage point of ordinary cims.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I've heard so many different versions of that story over the years. The popular one for a while was that the programmers were homophobes who included the event so that you could tear gas a bunch of gay men. I have no idea what the real story is but the one posted here sounds just as plausible as anything else. All I know for sure is that I wish I had fog-piercing runway landing lights for nipples... might make it hard to sleep at night though...

No like that guy went on to form a duo group called The Yes Men who do weird corporate pranks to this day. The other member is the only other person who has claimed any affiliation with RTmark. I think he finally gave a clear account in a book he wrote.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It honestly sounds hilarious, i'd die laughing if i was suddenly profiting off of violence via buggy light up nipplemen. Sounds like a postal situation.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
All this talk of SimCopter and Streets has gotten me thinking of past games and what could've been. I know someone in this thread asked earlier why there has been nothing like it since and on the way to work this morning I remembered there very nearly was. It's not well publicised (because it was an embarrasment) but SC3K was originally supposed to be a fully 3D game, in the same vein as Copter and Streets. It was quickly abandoned after the initial announcement and EA made Maxis develop a proper game. There's only one image of it I can still find floating around:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030426070148im_/http://www.gamespot.com:80/features/maxis/screens/sc3k3d2.jpg

(I am phone posting, forgive the hot link.)

It's from the era of unforgivablely bad 3D graphics but even that lies somewhere between 'bad' and 'I think a dog just vomited in my eyes'. Since then our options on city builders has been pretty thin. SimCity Societies tried to go more 3D than past games but was a flop for other reasons. Then you have Cities XL which was also bad.

I guess the only people who play these games now are old and crabby and we're stuck in our ways.

I did wish Cities: Skylines had greater visual fidelity in all honeatly. It looks fine but everything always seems a bit to flat and washed out... It's lacking in subtle details.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

All this talk of SimCopter and Streets has gotten me thinking of past games and what could've been. I know someone in this thread asked earlier why there has been nothing like it since and on the way to work this morning I remembered there very nearly was. It's not well publicised (because it was an embarrasment) but SC3K was originally supposed to be a fully 3D game, in the same vein as Copter and Streets. It was quickly abandoned after the initial announcement and EA made Maxis develop a proper game. There's only one image of it I can still find floating around:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030426070148im_/http://www.gamespot.com:80/features/maxis/screens/sc3k3d2.jpg

It's from the era of unforgivablely bad 3D graphics but even that lies somewhere between 'bad' and 'I think a dog just vomited in my eyes'. Since then our options on city builders has been pretty thin. SimCity Societies tried to go more 3D than past games but was a flop for other reasons. Then you have Cities XL which was also bad.

I guess the only people who play these games now are old and crabby and we're stuck in our ways.

I did wish Cities: Skylines had greater visual fidelity in all honeatly. It looks fine but everything always seems a bit to flat and washed out... It's lacking in subtle details.

God I remember this, it was the first game I got HYPE about on the internet. It was supposed to be smaller scale than previous simcity games but have a more detail and focus on individuals. There was some blurb about how you could even adjust the AC in an office building to make the workers happier. I think there was mention that the buildings were semi-procedural, which is why they all looked so generic (also it was like pre-alpha graphics). I was crushed when they scrapped the whole thing and made yet another 2d simcity game. Come on guys, it's almost the year 2000 and you're making a 2d game?!

In reality this late-90's 3d simcity would have most likely been terrible. Something like simcity societies/ sim town but with ugly clunky late 90's 3d graphics and the gameplay focusing on micro-managing the AC levels of your buildings.

Here's an article on it along with a horrible trailer that hyped up the 3d aspect of the game but never actually shows any real time rendering of said 3d. https://www.unseen64.net/tag/sim-city/

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks for using the Columbia Center. :3:

Never do any urban planning without it :worship: Now if someone would just make this and ensure it looks as awesome at night in-game as the real one does.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Anyway, slightly more on topic, isn't there a mod that unlocks free camera mode in the game or at least allows you to zoom in down to street level? It's not quite the same as being able to fly or drive around your city but it would still give you a firsthand look at your city from the vantage point of ordinary cims.

I think the First Person Camera mod is the one you want. There's also a First person walking mod that's a bit newer but I'm not familiar with how it operates compared to the first one.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I remember the first press releases on this back in the day and thinking then that it sounded way too ambitious for the hardware at the time: Pentium II reigned supreme (AMD was just in mid-stride on the way to deliver a ball-crushing blow with the Athlon) and GeForces wouldn't be along until that summer. Maxis seemed to realize it was just too much early on and went back to something more conventional with the actual retail release of SC3k. Unfortunately whoever handed out hot cups of reality to the business during that time was long gone when Simcity 2013 went through development. Not to say Maxis was solely responsible for that mess, EA heaped on plenty of arbitrary limitations and horribleness, but once that was wiped away it was clear the fundamental game underneath it all was broken.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Their fluorescent nipples were drawn with a special rendering mode usually reserved for fog-piercing runway landing lights, so they could easily be seen from long distances in bad weather.

This may be the best sentence I've read for a long time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Is there a mod to unlock landscaping tool instantly? I’d rather avoid using “unlock all” because that tend to overwhelm me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
If you spent as much time typing that post as you did searching the workshop you'd have the answer long ago.

Yes.