Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Gologle posted:

Somehow I feel like if Sephiroth were just eating dinner at some all-night hamburger joint and Cloud walked in Sephy's reaction would be the same every time.

S: So, Cloud, we meet again. *brushes hair from face*

Or they're on the train and both of them happen to make eye contact. Or Cloud is taking some girl on a date and they walk past each other. My point is crazy post Crisis Core Sephiroth is an rear end in a top hat.

The compilation just hosed up everyone

People who haven’t played FFVII will be shocked that cloud is a cocky rear end in a top hat then comatose then just a dorky hero, with pretty much no moping along the way

People will be surprised that Aerith actually has a personality, like when she threatens to rip don corneo’s balls off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Leal posted:

Whats weird is his title card, also the back of the jewel case. Its an FMV of something blowing up behind him yet I'm sure its not actually in game.

FFVIII also used plenty of art in its opening title card thats not actually from any FMV

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Either it's someone extremely embarassing, or it's a dude and he's not ready to come out.

That would be honestly tragic, had a family member come out to me and my response was basically “shoulda said something sooner, ya dingus.”

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I want the FFVII remake to be good, and I thought it might be, but then I caught myself up on the extended VII universe....

That loving Genesis and Angeal poo poo isn't gonna be in this game, right?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They can't use Gackt's likeness again, so there may be references to it, but he at least won't be shown. Angeal might, but I doubt it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

i have a feeling that SE will stick some of the EU trash in the Remake but eh, it's a coin toss. I'm expecting it to be okay at best but even then I'll pick it up first day.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never actually played Crisis Core and it's been almost a decade since I watched scenes or read the script for it but some of the ideas made sense. Like,wasn't one of the core premises that Genesis and Angeal were just other experiments with Jenova Cells? I think Genesis got injected as an actual baby instead of being exposed to them as a fetus and then they were like "nope, this sucks, we gotta go back even further" hence why we got Sephiroth. That might be totally wrong, I mainly just remember he was a failed experiment compared to Sephiroth because he got a different kind of Jenova juice.

But I remember getting confused at the time and I'm certainly confused now. There were J-Cells and G-Cells and S-Cells and obviously I know what they stand for but gently caress if I know what they do.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The good parts of Crisis Core were the soundtrack, CONFLICT RESOLVED and the ending scene.

Just scrub away anything to do with Genesis.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I definitely remember there being some extremely worrisome things said in interviews about revising the story, and Cloud has shown up in Mobius FF a few times for VII Remake events as exactly the mopey gently caress he has been in all the EU stuff, so you absolutely should not hope it will retain the original's tone.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's fine as long as this song is blaring in the background when Cloud crossdresses and infiltrates Corneo's mansion and has the massage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49rhRF4bkf8

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I want the FFVII remake to be good, and I thought it might be, but then I caught myself up on the extended VII universe....

That loving Genesis and Angeal poo poo isn't gonna be in this game, right?

Better loving not be, buuuuuut...

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I definitely remember there being some extremely worrisome things said in interviews about revising the story, and Cloud has shown up in Mobius FF a few times for VII Remake events as exactly the mopey gently caress he has been in all the EU stuff, so you absolutely should not hope it will retain the original's tone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
They said the remake was gonna be episodic and that means they will expand the story anyway so uh, well I think y'all gonna be disappointed if you think the EU stuff isn't gonna be in

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm going to believe it will be good. I never thought there would be an actually good, competitive, tournament-viable, team-based DBZ fighting game but here we are in 2018 with Dragonball FighterZ. If that can happen, the VII remake can be good too!

Give Square Enix your energy!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mandatory lesbian posted:

They said the remake was gonna be episodic and that means they will expand the story anyway so uh, well I think y'all gonna be disappointed if you think the EU stuff isn't gonna be in

I just want them to be smart, give us a really big and sprawling Midgar to explore. You don't have to do the whole drat city, but make the Sectors properly sized and have us go to a few other ones. I'd love to have a whole extended first chapter with the AVALANCHE crew, doing sidequests and oddjobs around the various Sectors, maybe having more confrontations with the Turks, probably introduce some new side characters and make Don Cornero a larger figure, etc etc.

This would also be a really, really good time to introduce and establish Reeve -- maybe he helps you out of a jam, gives you some missions to do on the side, but he's ultimately powerless to do anything to stop Sector 7 from getting destroyed.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 30, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Spending on how many episodes they want, there's still the rest of the game they can expand, and the EU stuff is right there already made up

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Calling it, FF7 remake will be FFXV DLC

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’m going to be very Mad On The Internet if there’s a bunch of angeal and genesis bullshit

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Ainsley McTree posted:

Calling it, FF7 remake will be FFXV DLC

Cup Noodles, WHY did you kill Aerith?!

BECAUSE I WAS SEPHIROTH THE WHOLE TIME CLOUD

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ROFL Octopus posted:

I’m going to be very Mad On The Internet if there’s a bunch of angeal and genesis bullshit

Yeah keep that dumb rear end poo poo out, the game is convoluted enough without it

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Genesis is good because half of his appearances are the writers dunking on the lovely character they were stuck with.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

They can't use Gackt's likeness again, so there may be references to it, but he at least won't be shown. Angeal might, but I doubt it.

Yeah, I'd say there's about a 100% chance it'll be referenced, and a low chance any of it will be more than references and cameos in a revised plot.

Presumably they're revising the plot mostly for coherence and to make the game more evenly fit a multiple-game structure, rather than because they really want to include Gackt or that guy from Dirge with the bandage mouth.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
let me be honest here for a second, i'll buy ff7 remake day one if it's on pc

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm gonna buy the FF7 remake but its guaranteed to be trash because it'll be the lovely story people collectively decide they remember not the one the game tells.

If you're going to bastardize the story do it with 8, come on!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

I never actually played Crisis Core and it's been almost a decade since I watched scenes or read the script for it but some of the ideas made sense. Like,wasn't one of the core premises that Genesis and Angeal were just other experiments with Jenova Cells? I think Genesis got injected as an actual baby instead of being exposed to them as a fetus and then they were like "nope, this sucks, we gotta go back even further" hence why we got Sephiroth. That might be totally wrong, I mainly just remember he was a failed experiment compared to Sephiroth because he got a different kind of Jenova juice.

But I remember getting confused at the time and I'm certainly confused now. There were J-Cells and G-Cells and S-Cells and obviously I know what they stand for but gently caress if I know what they do.

its not that they weren't explained, it's that square used an awkward retcon to add in multiple annoying superpowered characters who you can never defeat, and who read poetry to you in endless cutscenes while having fights without you

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I'm gonna buy the FF7 remake but its guaranteed to be trash because it'll be the lovely story people collectively decide they remember not the one the game tells.

Motorcycles ramping off of one Garden to another IN FULL HD :krad:

Jetpack fistfights IN FULL HD :krad:

Seifer murdering Odin, only to get punked by Gilgamesh immediately afterwards IN FULL HD :krad:

Hell yeah I'm already sold on this idea, when do I toss money at square?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also, this is Square Enix. They, uh, are not so good with episodic games.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
While I get the point of your post, you're wrong in the undefeated front. Zack beats both Angeal and Genesis in more or less fair, head on, one v one confrontations. Its Sephiroth he gets his rear end handed by, because Sephiroth is a genetic abomination made to be the ultimate lifeform. He can do Chaos Control even without a single Chaos Emerald.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

no when you put it this way they'll make squall act like how they depict leon in kingdom hearts. he would be chill like laguna, just not hyperactive like his dad.

man i would play ff8 where squall is retconned to not be an rear end in a top hat...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

remake ff12 with actual good combat, thanks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Actually, the best thing would be if, in the crossdressing sequence, Cloud puts on the Lightning dress

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Then I guess the remake will be the best game for you that year, because they are 100% going to do that, you know they are going to do that, and you just wanted to be the one to say "called it" when the game releases in 2095.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...accidentally got in a slapfight about FF3 sucking while watching gyre speedrun-route Dragon Warrior 2.

goddamn there's more than one person that likes 3 and the remake

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...accidentally got in a slapfight about FF3 sucking while watching gyre speedrun-route Dragon Warrior 2.

goddamn there's more than one person that likes 3 and the remake

Yep, we walk among you and look just like everybody else

Seriously, it wasn't the best game I ever played but I've seen far worse. And it had good music.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

And it had good music.

That's cheating, good music is a series staple. Even Mystic Quest had good music and I don't remember anything else about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Things I like about FF3, while applying a "made on the NES handicap":

- Setting is cool, I remember most of the dungeons, and most have a kind of cool thing going for them
- Music is good
- Job system was decent, albeit becomes useless end of game (DS version tried to fix it and didn't do a very good job)
- Somewhat challenging

Yeah the game has shortcomings, but I'd still play through it once in awhile.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF3 is an...acquired taste. There's a lot that didn't age well but it's also kinda neat from a historical perspective because it's the first game to really nail the dungeon-boss formula the rest of the games follow (even if many of the dungeons were bad) and introduced the majority of the elements that regularly pop up in FF today (Moogles, Big Chocobo, multiple airships, Jumping Dragoons, Stealing Thieves, the summons, and jobs like Scholar, Archer, Geomancer, and Bard). And once you get used to its systems it's not too bad!

It's just, you know, it has a ton of outdated design choices that hamper the experience, like the final dungeon gauntlet, the Cave of Darkness, and the Mini dungeons.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

FFXII ZA hitting steam tomorrow - got some suggestions for party & job setups?

In particular I remember something about certain weapons being worse for some characters, like Balthier of all people aparently sucks with guns. :psyduck:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Avalerion posted:

In particular I remember something about certain weapons being worse for some characters, like Balthier of all people aparently sucks with guns. :psyduck:

He doesn't "suck" with guns. His recovery animation after an attack is a fraction of a second longer than everyone else's. That's it. That's the difference.

The same applies to Fran with bows. This literally doesn't matter at all, ever, unless you're the kind of person who writes screeds on GameFAQs about how that makes them the worst and unplayable.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Avalerion posted:

Use one of every job if you want variety. Leave out machinist to double up on your favorite if you don't.

Think about which classes would offer something to each other. There are also some combos that work exceptionally well, like Red Mage's Ardor with the Archer's ability to equip a fire-boosting bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Avalerion posted:

Okay... Balthier and Fran have animations with Guns/Bows that take like... a second longer? so over a loving ridiculous long time it equals less DoT

If you don't give a gently caress about this MINISCULE TINY NUMBER then it's not a problem.

As for classes, by magnitude of tiny loving differences, some characters are better than others

quote:

STR
Strength boosts the power of barehanded attacks and all weapons except maces (magical damage), measures and guns (uses the weapons attack stat only).

78 | Vaan
78 | Basch
75 | Balthier
73 | Ashe
71 | Fran
70 | Penelo

MAG
Magick Power determines the damage of magick attacks, effectiveness of stat-altering magick, and the healing power of healing spells. It also boosts the power of katanas and staves and wholly determines the physical attack power of Maces.

78 | Ashe
76 | Penelo
73 | Vaan
68 | Fran|
63 | Balthier
63 | Basch

VIT
Vitality is the rate of resistance from negative status effects and the length of status effects (including positive ones). Essentially Vitality makes beneficial statuses last longer (up to 99% extra) and harmful statuses last shorter (up to 49.5% reduction). Vitality also helps determine damage of axes, hammers, and hand-bombs.

62 | Fran
61 | Vaan
60 | Penelo
58 | Balthier
57 | Ashe
47 | Basch

SPD
Speed affects the charge time to perform actions in conjunction with the battle speed setting in the config and which weapon the character is using (some weapons are faster than others). It also determines the character's counterattack rate. The damage daggers, ninja swords and bows deal depends on both Strength and Speed. During low levels this offers a distinctive edge but on higher levels, the edge is decreasingly obvious.

38 | Balthier
37 | Vaan
36 | Fran
36 | Ashe
36 | Penelo
35 | Basch

HP and MP levels are randomly generated, but you should end up with the following (from highest to lowest):

MAX HP
Basch
Vaan
Balthier
Fran
Ashe
Penelo

MAX MP
Penelo
Ashe
Vaan
Fran
Balthier
Basch

Generally, Vaan makes Monk rock though really he's so absurd he can do any class well., Ashe makes Samurai shine and Basch makes an excellent Knight, Fran, shockingly does amazing with axes, and is actually a rather piss poor magician, And Balthier is just fine as a Machinist. Penelo should definitely be speccing into magicks of some sort.