Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Ye gods I can't get over how good this game is. Three hours in and I've finished 3 chapters, only missing one strawberry in Ch 3.2. I ran through the whole thing twice and still missing it, I must be blind (I got the "sneaky" one that you probably think I'm missing). I briefly started the B-side of chapter 1 and promptly nope'd out. That was 2 hours ago tho, so it might be time to try again. I like the way this game is hurting me :v: .

(and jfc the music)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

gmq posted:

Does the story continue in the optional content (b-sides, etc)?

No and there's even a gag in the chap 5 b sides when you have to do the crystal Theo segment where he ponders on whether the b sides are canon or not,

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

(Chapter 2 Blue Heart Spoilers)
https://twitter.com/FP_zero/status/958118368568987648

This game is so good!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
3B is over and those little red blob fuckers can eat poo poo~

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
262 attempts on 2B, but it feels real good to know those tricks. Onto 3!

Do all of the levels have a B side? I didn't seem to find one for the first level.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Yes they all have a B-side. You missed it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

on a twitter post by someone who had finished the game, i saw that they had collected one additional strawberry for each level - for example, 21/20 for the first chapter. how does this happen? by completing the b-sides? or is there just a well-hidden strawberry someplace...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

alf_pogs posted:

on a twitter post by someone who had finished the game, i saw that they had collected one additional strawberry for each level - for example, 21/20 for the first chapter. how does this happen? by completing the b-sides? or is there just a well-hidden strawberry someplace...

It's post b-side. you unlock c-sides and then you unlock golden strawberries that require you to beat a level without dying, so there are 24 of those, one for each A, B, and C side

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

goferchan posted:

It's post b-side. you unlock c-sides and then you unlock golden strawberries that require you to beat a level without dying, so there are 24 of those, one for each A, B, and C side

what the gently caress :stare:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Augus posted:

Remember to breathe

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

goferchan posted:

i am never 100%ing this video game

and thats okay

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Expect My Mom posted:

there are literally no white men in it

look we don't have mr oshiro's mtdna lineage we can't say anything for sure yet. also i beat the main story and this is probably up there with n++ and dustforce dx as one of my favorite games where you maneuver for a room trying not to die and resapwn real fast.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Augus posted:

I assume there must be a 25th strawberry to bring it up to an even 200 but I will never see it lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

look we don't have mr oshiro's mtdna lineage we can't say anything for sure yet. also i beat the main story and this is probably up there with n++ and dustforce dx as one of my favorite games where you maneuver for a room trying not to die and resapwn real fast.

Yeah as I did the b sides I got reminded more and more of dustforce, you have to pull off some crazy movement tricks

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I loved Dustforce but the framerate tanked HARD on later levels on Vita, I'd kill for a port to God's Own Console, the Nintendo Switch.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

goferchan posted:

I assume there must be a 25th strawberry to bring it up to an even 200 but I will never see it lol

I know the devs said there was nothing initially but knowing about this has me convinced that arranging all the a/b/c hearts in a certain order will unlock a true final level where that last golden strawberry would be

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

I know the devs said there was nothing initially but knowing about this has me convinced that arranging all the a/b/c hearts in a certain order will unlock a true final level where that last golden strawberry would be

in the vein of this conspiracy: i've followed matt thorson on twitter for ages, because he makes interesting and good games.

i am 99.9% positive i've seen him, maybe in october last year, post screencaps of levels from celeste in development, saying "working on d-levels, these things are insane". i spent about half an hour scouring his old twitter feed and couldn't find the drat thing at all. did i imagine it?! do the d-sides exist?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

gently caress this soundtrack is amazing. The drums on Scattered and Lost are killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0etenwnI1wo

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
1-B: 185 deaths
2-B: 115 deaths
3-B: 234 deaths
4-B: 341 deaths

loving wind physics...

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
5-B: I just discovered that you can launch off the enemies if you jump at them right before they recover. How does this game have so many interesting mechanics that in the main story you never need? It's really neat.

edit: 5-B clear, 148 deaths. The screen before the last made me laugh but somehow I did it in 5 tries.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 30, 2018

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i'm having trouble figuring out the trick that i assume will allow me jump higher without consuming a boost or something. it's at 7B checkpoint 8 and there's a crow giving me very helpful instructions that don't seem to explain it at all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

grand theft grotto posted:

5-B: I just discovered that you can launch off the enemies if you jump at them right before they recover. How does this game have so many interesting mechanics that in the main story you never need? It's really neat.

edit: 5-B clear, 148 deaths. The screen before the last made me laugh but somehow I did it in 5 tries.

That penultimate screen rules so hard.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

i'm having trouble figuring out the trick that i assume will allow me jump higher without consuming a boost or something. it's at 7B checkpoint 8 and there's a crow giving me very helpful instructions that don't seem to explain it at all.

If you dash right up against a wall, and jump as you're along side the wall, you do an extended dash wall jump that boosts you upwards.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i'm having more trouble figuring out the probably obvious solution for the chapter 2 and 3 blue hearts than i did with 2b and 3b ;-(

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Asclepius posted:

If you dash right up against a wall, and jump as you're along side the wall, you do an extended dash wall jump that boosts you upwards.

i call em hyper extended wall jumps because that's hewj and i can pronounce it like a dumb huge

The restraint in holding out actually requiring the craziest tech is nuts, like with the dream blocks in ch2

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Learning some tech (boost jumps mainly) from IL vids has helped me a LOT in the B-sides where you can better navigate when you have the added mobility options that the skips and tricks afford you.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
I have no illusions that I'll ever be able to get all the golden strawberries. But just in case I've restarted on a new file, so that just in case I do, it won't have an assist stamp on it. These early chapters are a breeze!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I loved Towerfall graphics and I'm supremely happy he chose to make a single player game with them. Going to try it soon.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Tafferling posted:

I loved Towerfall graphics and I'm supremely happy he chose to make a single player game with them. Going to try it soon.

yeah, Studio Miniboss out of Brazil handled the art in both games. Pedro Medeiros doing the pixel-end https://twitter.com/saint11

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

grand theft grotto posted:

In the AMA on Reddit yesterday Matt said that, aside from a few exceptions in the post-game, he wanted the rooms that look really overwhelming and complicated to be the easiest to actually execute, and the rooms that looked simple to be more difficult to get through, with the game having a balance of both. This makes a ton of sense looking back at my playthrough and why the level design is so good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

i'm having more trouble figuring out the probably obvious solution for the chapter 2 and 3 blue hearts than i did with 2b and 3b ;-(

Do u want hints? These will be very vague hints

2: getting to this one requires you to do something that you probably don't know you can do

3: dont overthink this one, just explore really thoroughly

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

SeXReX posted:

yeah, Studio Miniboss out of Brazil handled the art in both games. Pedro Medeiros doing the pixel-end https://twitter.com/saint11

Ahh, the guys that made "Out there somewhere", the most beautiful game 25 cents can buy. I think more devs should hire them.

20 strawberries? Are you kidding me? I thought I was near completion with nine!

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 30, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

goferchan posted:

What do yo get for completing Pico-8?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Do you have to get all the bits for chapter 7's crystal heart in one run?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I'm through three of the C-Sides so far, and i love them, but i honestly wish they were longer. i don't want to run out of content!!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Do you have to get all the bits for chapter 7's crystal heart in one run?

I'm pretty sure you don't, since they're grayed out if you visit them a second time, implying the game remembers you got them. Pretty sure you have to get them all to get Full Clear credit, though.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Finished chapter 6-B. 296 deaths. This chapter's challenges felt like a whole new level compared to the previous B-sides.

I was looking forward to the difficulty of the boss fight in B-side when I played the normal one and it sure didn't hold back or disappoint. And all those spike descent rooms on the way to the boss were ridiculous, especially the last one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't want to admit how many times I died on 7B but it was ludicrously high. Only one more B side to go

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/ZaggitzSA/status/958500187869081600

Spent all day slowly making my way through this level. 495 deaths later I am free...

Time for 7B :getin:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the b-sides are heaps of fun but i find myself battling against a room, again and again, then once i get through it i'll blitz through the next three or four until i hit another wall.

god drat what a game though. it's both perfect introduction to masochistic platform games, and a refinement of every element of them into one gorgeous little package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

not much left now