Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'd rather they avoid bringing back characters for the most part. Most AA witnesses are gimmicks that work really well for one case but then get old after that.

I basically agree, it has rarely worked, unless you have a broader outside thing like Steel Samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Is the joke that you're steadily turning Franny into Bayonetta?

Folt The Bolt posted:

Honestly, I think the judge got a bit better at this (and somewhat more smart) once Dual Destinies rolled around, especially since the first three sequels basically made him stupider and stupider at doing his job.

I think people probably get mixed up with the Kuh'rain Judge being basically the only thing stopping the country's justice system from descending irreversibly into show trials.

A lot of the original trilogy characters were kinda built around their own arc and the themes of the game, I feel they really shouldn't bring them back unless they have something new in mind. Franciska could actually work, given she was a teenager in the original game and could have done a lot of growing up in the interval, one way or another. (get some use out of those improbable career trajectory ages) Larry seems to have a bit of a sad theme that he's grown quite apart from Phoenix and Edgeworth and they've gotten tired of his antics, though at least he seems to have settled on a career as an artist.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Franziska and Gumshoe would be the two I bring back. Franziska would be a treat for long-time players to see how her character developed over the time skip and Gumshoe kinda fits that too but at the same time he’s still the perfect detective character no matter your investment in the series.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is the joke that you're steadily turning Franny into Bayonetta?

Bayonetta's hair is short like Franziska's now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But also kinda yeah maybe?

Give Franny a character action spinoff where she whips terrorists or something.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’m really pissed that AAI2 had to be fan-translated, despite how ridiculously awesome said fan-translation is because Franziska and Edgeworth grow quite a lot in it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

Bayonetta's hair is short like Franziska's now.

Shorter, even, and it rules.

Wonder what hairstyle she'll have in 3, though.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

ROFL Octopus posted:

I’m really pissed that AAI2 had to be fan-translated, despite how ridiculously awesome said fan-translation is because Franziska and Edgeworth grow quite a lot in it.

It was really nice to see Franny finally realize what a massive dicklord her father was.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Is there is a detailed plot summary somewhere? I played AA 1 and 2, lost interest in the series until Dual Destinies, played that, then apollo justice and now SOJ. I'm still gonna play AA 3, but otherwise the overarching story is totally out of order in my brain.

Its been a while since I played some of these games and it would be great to be reminded of the smaller details (like any backstory for athena, seriously DD was a long time ago) as well as the overarching plot points.

I probably won't read it until i finish AA 3, but it would be nice to have on hand. All i've found so far is case transcripts, which if i'm gonna read those I might as well just replay the games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ace Attorney Wiki has summaries of absolutely every case in the series. I'm not going to starts screening them so I can't vouch for the quality of the writing but they're probably the best you're going to find in any case. For example: http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/The_First_Turnabout

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's not really much in the way of overarching story in the series, especially after 3.

But the Ace Attorney wiki has writeups for each individual episode, so you could use that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gumshoe kicks rear end and I was only okay he didn't show up in Dual Destinies because, well, of the last case.

If that had been him I'd have flipped my shiiiit.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Playing through Apollo Justice again. Is it bad that I'm dreading doing the last case?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yukari posted:

Playing through Apollo Justice again. Is it bad that I'm dreading doing the last case?

Yes, for all the problems it has it’s not actually miserable to play through or anything

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It has some of the best investigation segments, and the last trial day is mercifully short.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, for all the problems it has it’s not actually miserable to play through or anything

Eh, I think I remember some parts where I'd disagree with that. The worst parts were usually trying to find the dumb nervous tics, though, and obviously that shouldn't be as bad on a replay.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yukari posted:

Do not dread my friend Spark Brushel.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I wish my first name was spark

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Spark Brushel is one of the few actually good witnesses in the series.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Spark Brushel made me feel ill to look at and naturally his lying "tic" was the one that stumped me so I got to be zoomed in on him forever

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I Love Ace Attorney.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i love ace attorney but i hate when you either have no idea why a piece of evidence will work, and i hate when you have evidence that should work but the game expects something very slightly different, or presenting on the wrong testimony

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The White Dragon posted:

i love ace attorney but i hate when you either have no idea why a piece of evidence will work, and i hate when you have evidence that should work but the game expects something very slightly different, or presenting on the wrong testimony

Real ace attorney fans hate ace attorney.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The White Dragon posted:

I also love Ace Attorney, but related to that I'm replaying Apollo Justice. I got stuck on a part in the second case... where the solution is actually to stop Pressing and give up! Like, when is that ever a thing?! You never give up!

At least I have no qualms about looking poo poo up if I get stuck. I've played the game once already, so I don't care! The eShop version of the game looks a lot nicer than the original DS one, which was what I played initially.

Looking forward to buying all the games again on Switch! :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't know why I put off playing AAI2 for so long but now that I'm playing, it's great!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know why I put off playing AAI2 for so long but now that I'm playing, it's great!

where you at

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I also love Ace Attorney, but related to that I'm replaying Apollo Justice. I got stuck on a part in the second case... where the solution is actually to stop Pressing and give up! Like, when is that ever a thing?! You never give up!

At least I have no qualms about looking poo poo up if I get stuck. I've played the game once already, so I don't care! The eShop version of the game looks a lot nicer than the original DS one, which was what I played initially.

Looking forward to buying all the games again on Switch! :v:

Honestly I feel like there have been at least a few instances in the series where you were basically supposed to give up because the testimony was air-tight, then something turns up after that.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly I feel like there have been at least a few instances in the series where you were basically supposed to give up because the testimony was air-tight, then something turns up after that.

Sure, but usually that means you just press everything and then the player character gives up on their own. You aren't normally the one to make that choice.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel the way it was presented made it pretty clear that you were supposed to give up. I'm not a fan of that segment, but I never got stuck on that testimony.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

where you at

Last thing I did was use Little Thief to examine the room where poison gas was formed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i finally powered through 2-3 and moved on through 2-4, and now i'm at 3-2. i just realized why i hate herschel layton so much, it's because he's a smarmy know it all like luke atmey

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I know I'm about to have a Bad Opinion(tm), but i feel like SoJ is waaaay better than T&T.

I played the games out of order, I heard that Dual Destinies was coming out and I thought to myself "hmm, I've heard good things let me play this game" and so I played AA1, then Dual Destinies, then AA2. Then over this past christmas I played Apollo Justice and SoJ and was completely blown away by SoJ. Like, I'm officially a AA fanboy now.

So, I'm reading through this thread and I read some spoilers for AA3 and I was like, hmm I don't remember that at all and then I read more about the game and I realized I never played it. So I went back to play it, but I had been spoiled on some important bits (that godot was Mia's boyfriend and the Dahlia/Iris/Morgan connection) and so I feel like a lot of the drama was taken out of the final case for me. Even though, I still don't like the story. Like, its too convoluted. Oh, we can't figure out how to keep Pearl from channeling Dahlia so lets concoct this crazy plan and kill Mayas mom while we are at it. Like, nobody just said "Hey Pearl, lets go check on Maya real quick to make sure shes OK then go read stories with Elise. Boom, entire plot foiled.

Plus, going from SoJ to T&T gameplay wise was hard - there were way too many times that I had to look up the answer in T&T and I got more frustrated in that game than any other game in the series when even the spoiler walkthrough wasn't giving me the right thing to do (turns out the IOS port has a slightly different flow than the original GBA).

Plus, by the fourth case I was like I hate playing as Mia, just give me more Phoenix please and then when the fifth case started I was like, oh gently caress not more Dahlia I'm so tired of her. Yes, her final breakdown was great but I was so tired of the character by then.

Also, by this time the whole maya being in trouble, yet again was super tiring because I had just played SoJ and didn't need that same exact plot point, yet again.

So, in conclusion I know that my opinion of T&T is heavily colored by the fact that I was spoiled on some threads and I played it after SoJ, but I still prefer SoJ over it.

Anyways, I played AAI-1 and couldn't get into it, but after all the rave reviews of AAI-2 in this thread I'm playing it. I'm still on case 1, I'm a bit burnt on the AA formula after playing 3 full games in the last 2 months so I'm progressing slowy.

I'm excited to see where they go for AA7, since IMO SoJ was so strong (although count me in that the DLC for AA7 had better be of AA5 caliber).

Plus, we still have Athena's dad to kill (and blame Apollo), so I'm assuming that is gonna happen in AA7. Seriously what is it with this game and murdering the main characters parents.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That’s a good opinion though, because it’s true

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lechtansi posted:

Oh, we can't figure out how to keep Pearl from channeling Dahlia so lets concoct this crazy plan and kill Mayas mom while we are at it. Like, nobody just said "Hey Pearl, lets go check on Maya real quick to make sure shes OK then go read stories with Elise. Boom, entire plot foiled.
This is actually deliberate.

Godot wanted to be the Big Manly Hero and so created this convoluted plan to allow himself to save the day to deal with his crippling guilt and self loathing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

This is actually deliberate.

Godot wanted to be the Big Manly Hero and so created this convoluted plan to allow himself to save the day to deal with his crippling guilt and self loathing.

Godot's actions made sense but it's always been a fair criticism that it makes little sense for Elise to have gone along with it the way she did.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Godot's actions made sense but it's always been a fair criticism that it makes little sense for Elise to have gone along with it the way she did.

There’s no guarantee he told her the entire truth about the situation. And wasn’t the plan more or less just to keep Pearl occupied until it fell through?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The final case is rife with all kinds of problems (The heavy reliance on the conceit of spirit-channeling, identical twins swapping identities actually being a thing, the game's third instance of staging-a-fake-crime-to-hide-the-real-crime) but in my opinion it's redeemed by pretty much every aspect of Trial Day 1.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plus, well, the moment where the original Cornered music plays.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's hosed up the english version cut out the voiceclip of Phoenix and Mia objecting together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

There’s no guarantee he told her the entire truth about the situation. And wasn’t the plan more or less just to keep Pearl occupied until it fell through?

It's true that Godot may have misled her but she still summoned a dangerous murderer with no precautions. The fact that she knew enough to even know to do that means that she could have been like "wait this is stupid, let's just explain the situation to everyone and make sure it doesn't happen".