Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I've seen Shane Howarth at a local mall.

Top man, watched him play for Newport dozens of times, really good player to watch.

I've seen half the Welsh team in Nandos a couple of times for reasons similar to Mrenda seeing the Irish lads in Wagamamas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

WMain00 posted:

Saw Ross Ford walking up the road at Haymarket. Had to resist the urge to kick him in the nuts.

(I don't rate Ross Ford).

Ive been in the gym with Ross Ford and I think is you went for that you'd have to make it stick or you'd quickly regret your choices.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

HappyCamperGL posted:

Did Canada really just loose to Uruguay in a world cup qualifier?! At home :wtc:

Really disappointing performance. Canada has so many structural problems from the domestic club structures to the central training program not getting layers fit, to substandard coaching. Its so disappointing to watch.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Ive been in the gym with Ross Ford and I think is you went for that you'd have to make it stick or you'd quickly regret your choices.

But what did his penis look like?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Seen a ton. Sharing a lift with Jonah would probably be number one.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I saw Steve Hanson with his kids at a mall in Christchurch once, but that's about it.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Wrong code, but I lived with a girl who made it her mission to sleep with as many of the Warriors as possible. After I'd seen the 3rd one walk through the kitchen in the morning, I put up a poster outside her bedroom for them to sign on their way out. 4 more signatures got added to it by the end of the season.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Just saw Helen nelson on the tram. She got off at Murrayfield.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Team announced for Scarlets vs Scotland this Saturday.

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets)
14. Josh Adams (Worcester)
13. Scott Williams (Scarlets)
12. Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets)
11. Steff Evans (Scarlets)
10. Rhys Patchell (Scarlets
09. Gareth Davies (Scarlets)

01. Rob Evans (Scarlets)
02. Ken Owens (Scarlets)
03. Samson Lee (Scarlets)
04. Cory Hill (Dragons)
05. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
06. Aaron Shingler (Scarlets)
07. Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues)
08. Ross Moriarty (Gloucester)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's probably the best team we could hope for. And it worked in 2008 when he picked most of the Ospreys. With any luck the most that Howley has said to the backs is "Just do what that Steve bloke tells you to do."

bessantj fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 30, 2018

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I saw Andy Irvine walking in the street with a briefcase. I also saw Duncan Weir along with a bunch of the Edinburgh squad in a coffee shop, they were discussing what their dream job would be for 1 day. One of them plumped for Doctor, another went for Estate Agent. Let it never be said that Edinburgh don't dream big.

This one wins

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Tyma posted:

Team announced for Scarlets vs Scotland this Saturday.

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets)
14. Josh Adams (Worcester)
13. Scott Williams (Scarlets)
12. Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets)
11. Steff Evans (Scarlets)
10. Rhys Patchell (Scarlets
09. Gareth Davies (Scarlets)

01. Rob Evans (Scarlets)
02. Ken Owens (Scarlets)
03. Samson Lee (Scarlets)
04. Cory Hill (Dragons)
05. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
06. Aaron Shingler (Scarlets)
07. Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues)
08. Ross Moriarty (Gloucester)

I'm looking forward to the Scarlets v Glasgow match on Saturday.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I just hope Townsend sticks with the Price/Russell combination. We don't need twiddledee twiddledum Laidlaw loving up the game with his slow as poo poo play.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 30, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That Paddy Jackson case seems to be going well.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

goatface posted:

That Paddy Jackson case seems to be going well.

"We are top shaggers"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Because I love picking Fantasy teams I've put this up again

https://www.superbru.com/sixnationsfantasy/pool.php?p=11793170

Pool name: SomethingAwful

Pool code: limpmelt

Come do your worst.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Coetzee's finally gone. Does this mean we're finally going to see positive moves and a resurgent South African national team? No

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Tactics were one of the Bok's issues over the past couple of years so there might be some gains in that area but I fear the problems are much deeper than the coach.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Tactics were one of the Bok's issues over the past couple of years so there might be some gains in that area but I fear the problems are much deeper than the coach.

I too think it was a poor tactical choice to be be total shite.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

From 2016 to 2017, we saw 2 big steps forward.

1. An improvement in the Springbok forwards. The pack generally competed well, and they were able to identify and blood some high quality forwards like the du Preez twins and Uzair Casseim. The front row of Marx forming a front-row with 2 of Kitshoff, Oosthuizen, Nyakane and Wilco Louw has the makings of a world-class scrum (and they generally held their own, bar the All Blacks tests and the Ireland test).

2. Much better leadership. Warren Whiteley and Eben Etzebeth performed reasonably as captains in difficult circumstances, and along with Kolisi and potentially someone like Lambie, there's the makings of a good leadership group within the squad. It'll be a case of keeping them fit.

The negatives were (in no particular order):
1. Questionable or baffling selection decisions, like persisting with Raymond Rhule throughout the year by keeping him in the squad, or sticking with Andries Coetzee, when he was clearly not up to the task. This also extended to the halfbacks, where Elton Jantjies, a player already struggling with confidence on the big stage, was not helped at all by poor service from his halfbacks. The fact that Rudy Paige has been axed from the Bulls Super Rugby team despite being an incumbent Springbok squad member because incoming coach John Mitchell believes he's not fit for purpose speaks volumes. There should've been more questions about Coetzee's decision to stick with Adriaan Strauss in 2016, despite knowing that he was retiring from test rugby before the public announcement of both the new Springboks captain and his retirement from test rugby.

2. Selection based on reputation rather than form: Damian de Allende was a great midfielder, who brought a bruising, physical presence to the backline. Keyword - "was." Coetzee persisted with him at 12, clearly based on his reputation, despite the fact that since returning from injury, he's lost that physicality and strength that made him so valuable for the Boks. Meanwhile, Jan Serfontein had a breakthrough season in Super Rugby, and was one of the form South African 12s. So, he was instead given a release from Springbok duties to help him transition to his new French club, Montpellier. WHAT IN THE ACTUAL MOTHERFUCKING gently caress. Why in the gently caress are the Springboks actively helping out a French club with their players? It's not their duty to give a poo poo about the French clubs, especially when they've been openly hostile towards test rugby? WHO THE gently caress AUTHORISED THAT poo poo?

3. A lack of consistency. The Boks showed some tenacity in their second loss to the All Blacks, and often came agonisingly close to snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, like against Wales, where they fought back from a horror start. But then, these losses, and increased number of wins, also came within the context of some baffling performances, like their first half in their first test against the Wallabies, the last 65 minutes in Albany where once they got steamrolled by the All Blacks, or their debacle in Dublin, where they were brainless, heartless and spineless.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
This feels like a targeted attack.

https://twitter.com/KatieMorley_/status/959365382246096896/photo/1

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I've been so disinterested in Rugby the past 6 months....

But then Dai Lama made his annual tweet, and now it's officialy rugby time

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Cow murder?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Interview section is sorely in need of a "yeah, definitely" or a variation thereof.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

There are lots of interviews doing the rounds about Bhatti taking a job in a slaughterhouse at a really young age, and spending his entire life trying to move up the ladder and into a different career, but always falling short at the last hurdle, and having to return to the job he hated with his tail between his legs. He eventually resigned himself to his cow-murdering job, and invested all of his spare time towards physical training and amateur rugby as an escape from reality. He ended up grinding his way through the rugby ranks while still holding down the slaughterhouse job as his only form of income, and within 3 years, made it into the national team.

The Celtic media are really pushing him as an inspirational figure, as he's the polar opposite of 'public schoolboy' English stereotype. It's going to get brought up constantly on commentary, and everyone is going to have to take a drink.

Also, he's going to eat Ross Ford.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I've been relying on finding random YouTube replays of these. Is there any reliable (and preferably free / cheap) places to stream Rugby online? I prefer Rugby 7s to be honest, but regular Rugby is okay too.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I've been relying on finding random YouTube replays of these. Is there any reliable (and preferably free / cheap) places to stream Rugby online? I prefer Rugby 7s to be honest, but regular Rugby is okay too.

Depends a lot on country are you in I guess.
If you can get a UK VPN then you can just watch them on the BBC iplayer.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Shaping up to be a good game already.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Why do I subject myself to this? Goddamn it Scotland.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

bitterandtwisted posted:

Why do I subject myself to this? Goddamn it Scotland.

Remember, they're playing Wales. There's plenty of time for Wales to Scotland it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Top Scotlanding so far.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This "feed the ball straight" concept is both new and disruptive. Shameful meddling by the IRB.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Very odd this whole making them follow the rules thing

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
10/10 classic Scotlanding

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wales say they can Scotland but they're up against the original Scotland, no one can do it like us.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Navidi and Shingler have been doing well for Wales.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Aramoro posted:

Wales say they can Scotland but they're up against the original Scotland, no one can do it like us.

To be fair, it is impressive to watch.

bessantj posted:

Navidi and Shingler have been doing well for Wales.

I've seen Navidi a lot for Cardiff, always a decent player. Not really rated Shingler before, but he's been great recently.

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 3, 2018

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

This is Scotland’s year, guys!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Scotland's year is always next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Scottish fans, on some level do Scotland hate themselves? If not, why do they play like this?