Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My chariots sometimes slow down during a charge just prior to hitting an enemy unit and end up not knocking anyone over. It seems to be fairly common, it also occasionally happens to cavalry but is much more rare.

Anyone know the cause and how to avoid it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's a very old bug that keeps rearing its head over multiple iterations of Total War. Hopefully they'll fix it when they fix chariots dropping attack orders.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arglebargle III posted:

That's a very old bug that keeps rearing its head over multiple iterations of Total War. Hopefully they'll fix it when they fix chariots dropping attack orders.

They will fix these bugs when the sun finally fizzles out and spares my beady, caveman eyes from its torment.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

idk if its the same bug but cav would do the same thing in medieval 2

they did fix the bug where grouped missile units wouldnt accept attack orders correctly right

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Chariots are so micro intensive and Tomb Kings get these huge squads of them which feels unwieldy. Their chariots are also not as durable which means you really have to pay attention to what they are doing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've been nursing a chili and doing laundry for the past few hours and killing downtime reading the official total war forums. Holy poo poo if every third post doesn't make me cackle like a maniac

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/213365/khalida-and-necropolis-knights-are-very-weak

this thread is gold, just watch for_bretonnia go swiftly insane.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JBP posted:

They will fix these bugs when the sun finally fizzles out and spares my beady, caveman eyes from its torment.

Look man I was just pointing out that the mercury lamp in your LCD screen is not as bright as a G type star you don't need to take it personally.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Look man I was just pointing out that the mercury lamp in your LCD screen is not as bright as a G type star you don't need to take it personally.

your posts were bad and you should feel bad

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Senor Dog posted:

What? Who? What thread is this? PHUO?? I can no longer read the forums as I spent sixteen hours gazing, dead-eyed, into the campaign map and swigging vodka from the bottle. IMO the only way to truly immerse myself in the PTSD my swordsmen would feel.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Senor Dog posted:

This.

There was a weird excessive bloom glitch for me in game 1 wrt snow maps and it legit felt like I was outside on a too-bright day if I looked at it for more than a minute or so. idk if it's bloom in general with these games, although I haven't come across anything as bad in game 2, even in the desert areas.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am IRL laughing at you and your lifestyle problems.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Ridiculous statements aside, the warhammer total war games are legit the only games I’ve had to edit the in game gamma settings because the lighting was jacked.

If anyone is having problems fiddle with the gamma and contrast bars.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

In the heart of the Total War Temple, atop the 10000 stairs of triumph, sits the blind wise monk, lost in deep meditation. Thousands of supplicants have come to hear his wisdom, waiting for him to stir. Finally, dead eyes staring straight ahead he speaks: “The lighting with SSAO really highlights the model detail, and I’ve had no problems yet in DX12 with my AMD graphics card”

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

btw did the patch changes do any serious shifts in ~the meta~? is bretonnia still bad?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think it's possible to make different underway interception maps for different regions?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I got one of my friends into TW2 and now he wants to paint the miniatures. Naturally I will be staging an intervention this weekend. I refuse to have that poo poo on my conscience.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Has he seen the price tag?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KazigluBey posted:

This.

There was a weird excessive bloom glitch for me in game 1 wrt snow maps and it legit felt like I was outside on a too-bright day if I looked at it for more than a minute or so. idk if it's bloom in general with these games, although I haven't come across anything as bad in game 2, even in the desert areas.

You should probably get your eyes checked.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Has he seen the price tag?

They don't even make three quarters of the stuff anymore, so price tags are even more jacked up

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I cannot figure out the point of Sepulchral Stalkers. They do terrible damage at range and fight like weaker Ushabti in melee.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you guys genuinely have trouble with long computer time on your eyes have you tried f.lux?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Should I use the light from my monitor to illuminate my 1995 high elf infantry miniatures (still current and unreplaced) as I paint them?

Note: I have no other light sources, if you looked at a map of this town my home would be one of the suspicious, skaveny ruins

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Should I use the light from my monitor to illuminate my 1995 high elf infantry miniatures (still current and unreplaced) as I paint them?

Note: I have no other light sources, if you looked at a map of this town my home would be one of the suspicious, skaveny ruins

That flickering green glow is a dead giveaway

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I cannot figure out the point of Sepulchral Stalkers. They do terrible damage at range and fight like weaker Ushabti in melee.

They're supposed to be anti large so I just sit them on the flanks facing outwards towards the sides or facing backwards while guarding the archers. Inevitably the AI's cavalry will just run into them and eat a few of their shots on the way in. I don't really "do" anything with them though and I agree that they feel kinda weak most of the time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
What's the Casket of Souls projectile like? I haven't gotten to see it (someone else risk getting their face melted off to describe it to me)

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

It shoots like 5 projectiles at once that kind of spread out and then home in on the same spot. The accuracy really improves the closer the Casket gets, it's nothing crazy good at max range.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah it's a funny one because you don't want to leave it sitting like a cannon, but it also moves pretty quickly for arty so you can roll it forward with the line, which is how I think Tomb Kings are meant to play rather than picking a spot and sitting there. Advancing the massive numbers of archers with the line doesn't hurt either since they're not like precious hand gunners or quarrelers.

It's also a waste leaving the casket stationary because it means your casket man can't ride a gnarly wave of bones around and look cool.

e: were stormfiends in WHFB? It would be sweet if Ikit came out along with jezzails, stormfiends and maybe a doom flayer team to round out the Skryre additions.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 30, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

now that its happened twice: don't bring arty against tomb kings, greatbows will murder it

is there a specific thing that's causing summon abilities to cast but not actually summon anything? this happened to skrolk at a crucial juncture

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

They're supposed to be anti large so I just sit them on the flanks facing outwards towards the sides or facing backwards while guarding the archers. Inevitably the AI's cavalry will just run into them and eat a few of their shots on the way in. I don't really "do" anything with them though and I agree that they feel kinda weak most of the time.

They can’t even do anti-cav properly because their ranged attack is so slow that it misses constantly and they have no charge defense.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

They can’t even do anti-cav properly because their ranged attack is so slow that it misses constantly and they have no charge defense.

They have charge defense vs large. But yea... they aren't great.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

They have charge defense vs large. But yea... they aren't great.

Their actual melee attack bonus against large is... considerable (21). They have very low attack (and very high damage) in general, so I've been using them to kill enemy monsters and cavalry. Weird unit though, not sure what you're supposed to do with vanguard and stalk... Is the ranged attack good against infantry or anything?

BurlapNapkin fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 30, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BurlapNapkin posted:

Their actual melee attack bonus against large is... considerable (21). They have very low attack (and very high damage) in general, so I've been using them to kill enemy monsters and cavalry. Weird unit though, not sure what you're supposed to do with vanguard and stalk... Is the ranged attack good against infantry or anything?

I think the whole point is that you can use vanguard and stalk to sit them somewhere then blindside enemy large. I know a few cygors that could stand to get some stalkers up in their eyeball, but I'd expect them to get wrecked by a lot of stuff because I'm poo poo at the game and don't micro good.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BurlapNapkin posted:

The ranged attack is a rare combination of high armor piercing and poison, so you can hit a group of knights or something with it then charge them while they’re slowed

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I have mixed feelings about the Sepulchral Stalkers but I find they make great anchors for the end of my lines. If nothing tries to flank they can do so vs the enemy and blast their venom into the sides of formations, which penetrates really far doing loads of damage and a bit of disruption. If something does flank they can get a shot off on it then hold their own to keep the flank secure. They are also pretty quick for infantry.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Space Skeleton posted:

I have mixed feelings about the Sepulchral Stalkers but I find they make great anchors for the end of my lines. If nothing tries to flank they can do so vs the enemy and blast their venom into the sides of formations, which penetrates really far doing loads of damage and a bit of disruption. If something does flank they can get a shot off on it then hold their own to keep the flank secure. They are also pretty quick for infantry.

It's weird because I end up using the stalk attribute as a defensive tool. Those enemy horsies think they're going to rear charge my skeleton archers but NOPE they get a face full of snake statues instead.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also Stalkers are weirdly durable and I don't know why. Maybe it's the -25% Missile Damage?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Looks like Tomb Kings making unit caps a major thing has inspired some people to replicate the force organization chart of WHFB: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1285998815/

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

now that its happened twice: don't bring arty against tomb kings, greatbows will murder it

is there a specific thing that's causing summon abilities to cast but not actually summon anything? this happened to skrolk at a crucial juncture

Note one of the streamers showed this off in an MP battle right before launch, or thereabouts. He'd brought Skaven with two Warp Lightning Cannons, while his opponent brought the RoR Usabti Greatbow unit. As soon as they got within range of one of the cannon units they proceeded to destroy 2/3 of the actual cannons in like their first volley. And that was after taking a fair chunk of damage as they moved into range.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What's with the red cloud water in Tomb Kings territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

packetmantis posted:

What's with the red cloud water in Tomb Kings territory?

Some sort of curse turned their version of the Nile red.