Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

MORE.......PIG!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
what if WE are no better than PIGS? don't look at my george orwell shrine please

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DeathChicken posted:

Oh cool, I always wanted to try Machine for Pigs and see if the complaining about it was justified. Hard to tell when a lot of the complaints were "It's not like the first game"

It's not like that first game in that it's more linear, lacks much of the puzzle elements and there's too many pigs to avoid and they stop being tense really fast.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The story's pretty awful too, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of picking it apart. The concept is pretty cool but the execution is dreadful, especially the parts relating directly to your character.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Can't remember where I got this :

quote:

Mnyeah. I can't say this failed, exactly, so much as fell short. A big part of the problem with this is that playing it, I got the strong impression TCR simply weren't comfortable making an actual 'game.' The few, and I mean very few sections that actually contained any mobile enemies were halfhearted, almost ashamed of themselves, and even the jump scares seemed noticeably frontloaded. They left in all of Amnesia's physics, but seemed to wholly forget they were there. Occasionally there were cupboards you could open, though there was never any need to. Hiding and cowering and praying you won't be seen isn't really an option so much as careful maneuvering and knowing where you need to go is. The psychological horror aspects, which is what I was really banking on for this release, worked periodically, but not regularly enough. The industrial abattoir is pretty much an object sculpture of human evil, so a monstrous one is the perfect setting, but it wavers, wanders, gets lost. Sorry, did I build an edifice to the apocalypse, or Megatron? And oh for god's sake, could you have telegraphed DEAD CHILDREN any more blatantly with an actual telegraph? I'm only putting that in tags because I know some of you are genuinely retarded and would be furious if that were exposed ahead of time.

Additionally? Wow, they really overdid the pig thing. You might not think it's possible to overdo one of the central themes of your story but holy poo poo you'd be wrong.

"The world is a machine for pigs. I shall build an abattoir for mankind, a cathedral of rust and blades and sluices, and they shall trample their squealing children in packed, reeking masses to grovel at my gore-slick altar."

drat okay that sounds pretty unnerving. Let's keep going.... *timidly enters the study, there is a huge art nouveau poster of Miss Piggy on the opposing wall with a note pinned under it*

"Everything is pigs. God is a pig, Esther. I prayed, and heard his great snout snuffling its derision. I have turned from piglet christ, spat upon his curly tail and turned to the whiskered rump of lucifer. My soul is damned, like so much bacon. I am writing this in the blood of a fatted swine and leaving it here in case I ever happen to walk this way again after a memory lapse. Apples to apples, Esther. Pork to pork." *turns and catches a shadowy glimpse of a pig dashing between two doorways squealing, it has dropped an apple on the floor from its mouth.* *Also there are sixteen dentures and some spilled jam in the nearest drawer, I have no loving idea why.*

*passes through a hall of famous sculptures, only the heads are all replaced with carved pigs, numerous pig puppets hang ominously from the drapes and from somewhere in the distance we hear a ghost child singing a nursery rhyme but all the words are changed to be about pigs. Something like 'hickory piggory dock,' maybe*

“Man is a rope stretched between the pig and the Superpig--a rope over a hellish sty. London is a pig's trough, filthy streets flowing with pigshit and muck. I have seen my destiny. I will turn everyone into pigs, just to ensure the extensive metaphors I am using are not lost on them. I will literally turn them into pigs. This is the full extent of my plan."

*stealthily avoids several bipedal pigs in English policeman's uniforms, twirling batons and oinking 'Old McDonald' as they kick the poo poo out of a commoner pig who refused to pick up a can. The can has a cartoon pig on it and the label 'MANDUS HOGG HASH!' The flagstones are made of cured ham*

"A superstitious, cowardly lot... Yes father... I shall become a pig." *cue boss fight with a valve-turning puzzle (you have to turn the valve) and painfully overladen historical references. Credits roll, the faces of all the employees are replaced with pigs and the music is a chorus of autotuned pigs grunting Beethoven's Fifth*

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

:discourse::mrapig:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

My primary memory of Machine for Pigs was a room early on where some LPers (can’t recall who) discovered the very broken physics that included getting a chair through a wall, then finding it in the hallway and discovering they could get it to stick to the high part of the wall like a magnet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I recently watched Bob and co play Observer, and during the cheesy scene where Rutger Hauer remembers how he got cybernetics even after agreeing with his dying wife that it was better to die, and he saw himself in the mirror as the monster that keeps chasing him around one of the commentators yelled "GET IT?? GET IT??". Machine for Pigs is exactly the kind of game that needs "GET IT?? GET IT??" yelled over the entire thing. It's basically Sam Barlowe Lite

Also Observer was cool but it looked like it had the same issue as SOMA, where the game is super eerie and scary except specifically when something is chasing you. Then the mood just leaves the room

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This perfectly captures why I sort of enjoyed Machine for Pigs. It's not what I'd call particularly well-executed, but there's something to be said for hilarious excess. And it's not like the missing "gameplay" from the original was particularly engaging so I wasn't really sorry to see it go. I mean yes it would have been nice if they'd gone the opposite direction and made something that was mechanically interesting, but that's still not a common strategy in horror games for reasons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't hate AMFP but it's less than the sum of its parts and both the worst thing the Amnesia devs have been involved in and the worst game A Chinese Room have made.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Has Bob and co ever done any videos about AMFP? I feel like it would be an excellent target for their particular brand of critique.

Also because I'm a child and find that anybody, be it Bob or Jay from Red Letter Media or anybody from mst3k, shouting "Do you GET it?" Over overwrought bullshit to be utterly hilarious

The last LP of AMFP I personally watched was the Markiplier one back when he was a tiny bit less soulless, I was a little younger, and I was also a Lot Stupider so watching somebody actually bite into it a little might be fun

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really like the ending monologue though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i liked dear esther a lot as sort of a brief and atmospheric little ride but pig machine showed that the dude doesn't exactly know how to pull off something larger. at least the amnesia devs were freed up to make soma, so there's that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's kind of funny since Soma didn't do a ton with fiddling with the environment either (turn a valve, open lockers, maybe throw a fire extinguisher at a window) and the monsters were perfunctory enough that even the developers eventually went "The game would have been better if we didn't do this." But jesus, that game had atmosphere for days.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it comes down to skill of the developers in the end, more or less, because soma manages to pull it all off better in a satisfying way instead of being pig machine which was intended as kind of a sequel/whatever to amnesia that somehow managed to not really have all that much of what people expected of amnesia. which, being different is fine, but the issue is if what's different doesn't exactly follow through in a way that feels solid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i liked dear esther a lot as sort of a brief and atmospheric little ride but pig machine showed that the dude doesn't exactly know how to pull off something larger. at least the amnesia devs were freed up to make soma, so there's that.

They made Everyone's Gone to the Rapture after which owned if you like that sort of thing

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

They made Everyone's Gone to the Rapture after which owned if you like that sort of thing

As someone who loves "walking simulators," Everyone's Gone to Rapture is the biggest piece of poo poo I've played in the genre. Pretty looking game though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't hate AMFP but it's less than the sum of its parts and both the worst thing the Amnesia devs have been involved in and the worst game A Chinese Room have made.

I don't know, bud, did you play that dumbass mini Amnesia game with the lady and her suitors?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bogart posted:

I don't know, bud, did you play that dumbass mini Amnesia game with the lady and her suitors?

At least that one was short and (IIRC) free, and it was a solid okay until the ending :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bogart posted:

Uh I forgot about that...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That mini-game was quickly put out for the Portal 2 ARG so it makes sense that its not up to Frictional's usual standards.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Has anyone tried Korsakovia, The Chinese Room's most obscure and directly horror-themed game?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Incredible soundtrack and concept, horrifically bad gameplay and level design, needs a 2020 revisit

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Discendo Vox posted:

Has anyone tried Korsakovia, The Chinese Room's most obscure and directly horror-themed game?

I have! I liked it more than Black August did, but agree that it has gameplay problems.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 26, 2018

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Make no mistake I recommend a play anyways,
it just broke me how the gameplay hurt the flow of fever narrative and music

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Irony.or.Death posted:

This perfectly captures why I sort of enjoyed Machine for Pigs. It's not what I'd call particularly well-executed, but there's something to be said for hilarious excess. And it's not like the missing "gameplay" from the original was particularly engaging so I wasn't really sorry to see it go. I mean yes it would have been nice if they'd gone the opposite direction and made something that was mechanically interesting, but that's still not a common strategy in horror games for reasons.

Yeah, I didn't mind the over-the-top excess either, although for my taste I'd have loved more body horror. But considering my complete playthrough weighed in at only 4 hours is isn't a lot of time to put aside for the ride.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, apparently, Kikiyama isn't dead, and they're making Yume Nikki again.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Never has there been a better time for the ancient of Yume Nikki and its fever dream isolation concepts in the current lunatic of 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Discendo Vox posted:

I tried it and liked what I played, but it bugged out on me pretty hard and I was unable to continue. Don't know if that means I tried it during that time it was broken or what.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Outlast and a Machine for Pigs came out around the same time and I was disappointed in both for very different reasons. AMfP did give me the Virgin Pig Mary and "I stand in front of the mirror, penis is hand". So that was something at least.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I'm a humongous fan of Siren, but the English dub is loving atrocious. The Let's Play in the archives is incredible, but I was wondering if there's anything like that for the Japanese version? The only Let's Play with the JP version I can find is by GG Gab, but it's frustrating that she keeps talking over cut scenes.

I'd play it and translate it myself, but I can't play the game worth poo poo.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
How can you hear PROFESSAH! and not immediately fall in love with that goofy-rear end dub

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
My biggest gripe with Machine For Pigs that no-one ever talks about is the fact that when you finally reach 'The Aforementioned Machine That Gets The Meat And Juice Out Of People,' it turns out to be a huge letdown; instead of a hellish, labyrinthine network of conveyors and chutes sending hordes of screaming Londoners into blood-drenched processors and pig-monster-manned killing floors, you get...some torsos on meathooks traveling through a fire with some spooky industrial sounds in the background. For all the text logs and recordings hyping up this massive industrial-era sacrifice machine, and going there directly from the "oh poo poo pigs are wrecking up London" moment of the game, having the actual, titular "Machine" be nothing more than some rusty grating and oinking noises leading into a blood-river just killed all my excitement for the game.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tree Huffer posted:

I'm a humongous fan of Siren, but the English dub is loving atrocious. The Let's Play in the archives is incredible, but I was wondering if there's anything like that for the Japanese version? The only Let's Play with the JP version I can find is by GG Gab, but it's frustrating that she keeps talking over cut scenes.

I'd play it and translate it myself, but I can't play the game worth poo poo.

Siren 1's English dub was delightfully British and I love it. :allears:

If you want, I found Egomaniac's LP of Siren 2 here, where they're playing through the Japanese version: https://archive.org/details/LP_Siren_2

Jukebox Hero posted:

How can you hear PROFESSAH! and not immediately fall in love with that goofy-rear end dub

Not gonna lie, Yoriko's my favorite character in the Siren series. Her breaking open a rusted lock using a towel and an iron rod and claiming she read it in a book was the best.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

PROFESSAH? WUT'S GOING AWN? AH DON'T GET IT? EYE IS THIS 'APPENING

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you don't love the Siren dub you don't deserve to experience Siren tbh

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ChickenHeart posted:

My biggest gripe with Machine For Pigs that no-one ever talks about is the fact that when you finally reach 'The Aforementioned Machine That Gets The Meat And Juice Out Of People,' it turns out to be a huge letdown; instead of a hellish, labyrinthine network of conveyors and chutes sending hordes of screaming Londoners into blood-drenched processors and pig-monster-manned killing floors, you get...some torsos on meathooks traveling through a fire with some spooky industrial sounds in the background. For all the text logs and recordings hyping up this massive industrial-era sacrifice machine, and going there directly from the "oh poo poo pigs are wrecking up London" moment of the game, having the actual, titular "Machine" be nothing more than some rusty grating and oinking noises leading into a blood-river just killed all my excitement for the game.

This is absolutely true and I was so angry. It's the awful thing they built the game's concept around, and it's so completely underwhelming. I almost feel like they designed it last and for most of the game there was just a "scary pig slaughterhouse goes here" placeholder box on their plans.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Skyscraper posted:

This is absolutely true and I was so angry. It's the awful thing they built the game's concept around, and it's so completely underwhelming. I almost feel like they designed it last and for most of the game there was just a "scary pig slaughterhouse goes here" placeholder box on their plans.

That part is what elevates AMFP to a tragedy for me, it's where you can totally see that they were completely overwhelmed. The whole thing would have worked a lot better as a mod for Amnesia 1, because making original assets really doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

drat, I wish that game had been good, there's such a good idea to it that they managed to completely waste

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel like the Machine WAS going to be this crazy scary thing, they just didn't have the budget or chops to pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nobody ever said it was going to be a scary machine, it's for pigs after all.