Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Instant Sunrise posted:

Are the multiplayer servers for Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy still up? and are the mods for it still being updated?

Mods for Outcast/Academy are still being made over on jkhub
Not sure about servers though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was Daisy Ridley's reservation about the script; she liked acting with Boyega in TFA and was disappointed that they were split up for most of TLJ.

Yeah when I think of all the fun/good character moments in TFA its all:

Finn and Poe
Finn and Rey
Finn and BB8
Finn and Han
Finn and Chewie

then after that

Han and Leia
Han and Rey
Han and Chewie (obv)
Han and Kylo

like there's definitely a pattern there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So is there an actor involved who didn't express reservations or worse when they were first shown the script for TLJ?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NTRabbit posted:

So is there an actor involved who didn't express reservations or worse when they were first shown the script for TLJ?

Harrison Ford.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

sassassin posted:

Harrison Ford.

Only the dead have known the end of Star Wars.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

exquisite tea posted:

Only the dead have known the end of Star Wars.

If only saying it would make it so.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

It is a Star Wars tradition. Hamill's supposed to have butted heads with Kasdan and Irvin Kershner over the direction of Luke's character in ESB.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Now, people are droids!
https://twitter.com/Toyark/status/957976232309678081

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ha ha I just remembered that Michael K Williams was in Solo but they had to fix so much poo poo that it was easier to just recast him in reshoots yikes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Boy, the reshoots are a lot more complex than I thought they'd be
Maybe there's hope for this movie yet

Can't wait for the showdown with the Death Star that turns into Darth Vader

I also like how these are remakes of old Star Wars/Transformers toys with the exact same gimmick

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

UmOk posted:

Oh ok. I thought maybe it was because lovely people just want a "better" black guy.

We expect white people to be ugly. We're disappointed and surprised when black people aren't exceptionally good looking.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Ha ha I just remembered that Michael K Williams was in Solo but they had to fix so much poo poo that it was easier to just recast him in reshoots yikes

Yeah, the more I hear about Solo the worse I feel it will do. With these directorial changes, it will be Disney's Fan4Tastic

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PassTheRemote posted:

Yeah, the more I hear about Solo the worse I feel it will do. With these directorial changes, it will be Disney's Fan4Tastic

It will be the Tsar Bomba of movies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Will it be better or worse than “I’m Han Solo” from that Star Wars karaoke game.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

They're renaming it Han Solo and Gretel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Han Solo

He's so hot right now

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It just occurred to me that Jawas are the first aliens to appear in Star Wars, and they appear in a lot of movies (4). That's a lot for a species that doesn't have a named character like Wookiees (6) or Mon Cals (4) or Yodas (6). Anyway, I mostly think the new sequel alien designs are alright to good, but wouldn't mind seeing a Rodian or something in the background. Even the Twilek in R1 was a weird Tim Burtony remix that was ashamed to be a Twilek. Good thing Lando's copilot on the Falcon is going to be an Ewok for rhyming's sake

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is a Star Wars tradition. Hamill's supposed to have butted heads with Kasdan and Irvin Kershner over the direction of Luke's character in ESB.

I never heard this. Also it seems odd that he would have argued with Kasdan and Kershner since they didn't really have much of a say over Luke's character arc in TESB.

e: Unless you're talking about the scene where he cuts the wampa's arm off. I know he disagreed with that because he thought it was unnecessarily cruel.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 31, 2018

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ingmar terdman posted:

I mostly think the new sequel alien designs are alright to good, but wouldn't mind seeing a Rodian or something in the background.
Eh, the sequel aliens have a disturbing trend of what I call "Pug-Face" where they all have this samey scrunched up look. They might seem okay in a vacuum, but all in the movie together they look so similar I can't pick out a single new species from any of the others. It also seems weird that after six whole movies establishing a lineup of the common races you'll see in a crowd we all of a sudden are seeing something like an entirely different setting.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
A ton of the sequel aliens look really similar to each other.

There're probably ones not featured there but the image matches what I've thought both times coming out of TFA and TLJ -- the alien designs feel very samey. The comparison with the designs from the PT is jarring. There's certainly none I immediately recognize them forgetting from that ST heading.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 31, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

galagazombie posted:

Eh, the sequel aliens have a disturbing trend of what I call "Pug-Face" where they all have this samey scrunched up look. They might seem okay in a vacuum, but all in the movie together they look so similar I can't pick out a single new species from any of the others. It also seems weird that after six whole movies establishing a lineup of the common races you'll see in a crowd we all of a sudden are seeing something like an entirely different setting.

Not showing any familiar species was a dumb choice. For the most part the new aliens in TLJ definitely had a sorta D&D Goblin look in common.

I wouldn't say RO had that problem though, Tiny Guy owned

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ingmar terdman posted:

It just occurred to me that Jawas are the first aliens to appear in Star Wars, and they appear in a lot of movies (4). That's a lot for a species that doesn't have a named character like Wookiees (6) or Mon Cals (4) or Yodas (6). Anyway, I mostly think the new sequel alien designs are alright to good, but wouldn't mind seeing a Rodian or something in the background. Even the Twilek in R1 was a weird Tim Burtony remix that was ashamed to be a Twilek. Good thing Lando's copilot on the Falcon is going to be an Ewok for rhyming's sake

How are you getting 4 movies for Jawas? I guess maybe they appeared in the background of Jabba's palace, but I don't remember them. I've got ANH, probably TPM (it's been a while, but I'm sure they're kicking around Mos Espa somewhere) and briefly talking to Anakin in AOTC.

And are you saying Lando's copilot in Solo is going to be an Ewok? Where did you see that?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

And are you saying Lando's copilot in Solo is going to be an Ewok? Where did you see that?

It was pretty prominent in the trailer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was pretty prominent in the trailer.

Trailer?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

A ton of the sequel aliens look really similar to each other.

There're probably ones not featured there but the image matches what I've thought both times coming out of TFA and TLJ -- the alien designs feel very samey. The comparison with the designs from the PT is jarring. There's certainly none I immediately recognize them forgetting from that ST heading.

Enjoying the sexy Darth Maul pic in there. Captures his essence

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nah, I'm only messing. We all know there's never going to be a Solo trailer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, I'm only messing. We all know there's never going to be a Solo trailer.

https://twitter.com/Solomovieyet/status/958354570165522432

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's not going to be attached to Black Panther and the latest rumour is that it's not going to go out during the Super Bowl. But as far as I'm aware, all the merchandise is still scheduled to show up in April, which leads me to believe Lucasfilm is still intent on getting it out in late May.

It's probably going to be a bad movie; it's probably going to bomb harder than a Lancaster flying over Dresden; you'd think they'd have bitten the bullet at this point and thrown up whatever they've got. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 31, 2018

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Maybe it will be the worst prequel

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

How are you getting 4 movies for Jawas? I guess maybe they appeared in the background of Jabba's palace, but I don't remember them. I've got ANH, probably TPM (it's been a while, but I'm sure they're kicking around Mos Espa somewhere) and briefly talking to Anakin in AOTC.

TPM: two Jawas watch the pods zoom by from afar and one utinis
ROTJ: there's at least one because it's the only Jawa close-up I remember, shot looking up through the rancor gate into a Jawa's face as he stares down into the pit

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ingmar terdman posted:

TPM: two Jawas watch the pods zoom by from afar and one utinis
ROTJ: there's at least one because it's the only Jawa close-up I remember, shot looking up through the rancor gate into a Jawa's face as he stares down into the pit

Ah, yes, that's right about TPM. I knew I was forgetting something big. It was pretty blatant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What other Star Wars have had especially difficult productions? I know there were varying degrees of frustration for Lucas in all three original trilogy movies; Rogue One obviously had some minor kerfuffle culminating in its reshoots; I've heard TFA was difficult; by all accounts, TLJ was the easiest production of the three made since 2015 (which is probably why Johnson is getting his own trilogy).

What about the prequels? I was too young to have much interest in behind-the-scenes reports when those movies were being made, but my presumption is that it must have been smoother since Lucas enjoyed more direct control than he did during the making of the original movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

What other Star Wars have had especially difficult productions? I know there were varying degrees of frustration for Lucas in all three original trilogy movies; Rogue One obviously had some minor kerfuffle culminating in its reshoots; I've heard TFA was difficult; by all accounts, TLJ was the easiest production of the three made since 2015 (which is probably why Johnson is getting his own trilogy).

What about the prequels? I was too young to have much interest in behind-the-scenes reports when those movies were being made, but my presumption is that it must have been smoother since Lucas enjoyed more direct control than he did during the making of the original movies.

Empire Strikes Back was so over budget and past deadline that it almost bankrupted Lucas, who had largely financed the movie himself with his money from Star Wars. Kershner got in a fair amount of arguments about what was, "Good enough." Lucas visited the set during some of the Dagobah shoots to find out what was taking so long. It went so poorly that he took his plans for 9 movies and said, "gently caress, we're finishing this in one more," and rolled all of the plot he had left into Return of the Jedi. The Emperor wasn't even supposed to show up until Episode 9.

The prequels were, indeed, pretty smooth productions. He had complete control over everything, and an amazing team who would jump at his every command. The script to Revenge of the Sith was famously finished incredibly close to production, but they had already worked out all of the set/costuming/design stuff so really it was just dialogue they were waiting on.

The main thing I remember from the prequels was that it was riddled with leaks. For all of Lucasfilm's supposed security, I remember the early days of Ain't It Cool News making a name for itself by getting leaks on Episode I (spy shots of on set shoots, concept art, things like that), and the entire plot of Episode II leaked well before the movie came out.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 31, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Empire Strikes Back was so over budget and past deadline that it almost bankrupted Lucas, who had largely financed the movie himself with his money from Star Wars. Kershner got in a fair amount of arguments about what was, "Good enough." Lucas visited the set during some of the Dagobah shoots to find out what was taking so long. It went so poorly that he took his plans for 9 movies and said, "gently caress, we're finishing this in one more," and rolled all of the plot he had left into Return of the Jedi. The Emperor wasn't even supposed to show up until Episode 9.

I've heard a bit about that though I didn't know the Emperor wasn't meant to show up so much later; I knew that Episode VI was going to introduce Luke's sister, who would be a different character from Leia. I've got to get into that Rinzler book.

When people talk about Lucas's plans for sequel movies, do they mean his plans for Episode VII, VIII and IX in the 1980s, or some other ideas post-dating the prequels?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TPM had an especially nasty sandstorm that set things back a little bit. Part of the Making of Episode I documentary is Rick McCallum walking in between the wrecked podracer props the morning after the storm yelling gently caress a lot. And George is like "welp it's 1976 all over again I hate sets"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sBsnYNucM

The making of is kind of its own amazing little movie. What I would give for a Disaster Artist style adaptation. Now that's the Star Wars spin-off that I need

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard a bit about that though I didn't know the Emperor wasn't meant to show up so much later; I knew that Episode VI was going to introduce Luke's sister, who would be a different character from Leia. I've got to get into that Rinzler book.

When people talk about Lucas's plans for sequel movies, do they mean his plans for Episode VII, VIII and IX in the 1980s, or some other ideas post-dating the prequels?

He had vague plans after the release of Episode VI—Mark Hamill has talked about how Lucas discussed plans to bring him back for a sequel trilogy in 30 years or so—and also produced story treatments after ROTS that he gave to Disney as part of the sale.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, I think the "sister" wasn't originally going to be a sister. The "another" Yoda referenced was originally referring to some female character from outside the galaxy, who the sequel trilogy would be about, and who Luke would train, and who would ultimately defeat the Emperor.

The Rinzler book is good, but officially sanctioned, and he's made changes to the "history" based on direction from Lucas. The better book, to me, is The Secret History of Star Wars. It has clear writing style issues, as it was the guy's first book, but it's absolutely fantastic for it's research into old scripts, interviews, and notes over the course of the making of the first 6 movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard TFA was difficult

Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams desperately wanted the movie pushed to May 2016 to give them enough time to get everything right, but Bob Iger himself reportedly refused because the movie had already been pushed once (it was originally set for summer 2015, but was delayed to December when Arndt was fired and Abrams and Kasdan took over the script) and he wanted a Star Wars movie to hit in that fiscal year for Disney. As a result, they had literally only a year of post-production time from the wrap of shooting to locking the final picture, and shooting had already been a mess because substantial portions of the script were rewritten while Ford was out healing his broken leg and later re-shot.

Because of the frenzied post-production, Abrams was re-editing the movie constantly throughout the summer and into the fall of 2015; Lupita Nyong'o said she had to come in for voice recording sessions like a half-dozen times or more because Maz's character kept getting rewritten and reworked. Apparently Abrams did one final huge overhaul in either late October or very early November that drastically changed much of the tone and flow of the movie.

So, yeah, when all was said and done, everyone was exhausted.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lucas was right to put these out over every three years. Two is too much of a rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I see these stories on TLJ doing below expectations for the second part of a trilogy, but it seems kind of obvious that Rogue One screws that up a bit? They might not literally be part of the same series, but to most folks I know Star Wars is Star Wars and audience exhaustion three years in a row isn't hard to anticipate. It baffles me that Disney was so eager to wring every drop of the franchise instead of letting it breathe a little.