Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

Here is what I painted in January:

T'ubbs and Crock'ett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Don't actually have anything interesting to post, just wanted to do it anyways and celebrate getting 9 damned leggos for 34 bux :toot:

four of them are the beaky squadron (the one with the skull nose sculpted on the beak) :toot: :toot:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I was just totaling up some stuff in my backlog and since all the unpainted stuff I have left for my Templars is named characters, big vehicles and elite units, I've got almost 1500 points of unpainted mans there. 443 of those points go to the Land Raider Excelsior, which costs more than my goddamn Knight. :shepicide:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

I was just totaling up some stuff in my backlog and since all the unpainted stuff I have left for my Templars is named characters, big vehicles and elite units, I've got almost 1500 points of unpainted mans there. 443 of those points go to the Land Raider Excelsior, which costs more than my goddamn Knight. :shepicide:

I shudder to think of how much unpainted stuff I have.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

These are fantastic!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, jinx is great on hemlocks.

Index wargear is allowed, yes. There's an official flowchart explaining it.

The only reason that stuff isn't in the codex is because GW hates us and makes a single plastic Autarch with zero weapon options. All the index weapon options pretty much require you to have leftover bits from aspect warriors.

I actually kitbashed my own out of the autarch kit, DE Hellions & DE Scourges. I'll post some pics of the monstrosities tomorrow.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So I think the biggest revelation to come out of my first tournament is, even though my Eldar look beautiful and won me second place in Prettiest Army, gently caress bringing them out. There's a lot of spindly thin bits on them and four models suffered damage from transport. I'll look into getting custom foam later but for now I'm going to stick to bringing a more fat, durable army like Death Guard to events.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thanqol posted:

So I think the biggest revelation to come out of my first tournament is, even though my Eldar look beautiful and won me second place in Prettiest Army, gently caress bringing them out. There's a lot of spindly thin bits on them and three models suffered damage from transport. I'll look into getting custom foam later but for now I'm going to stick to bringing a more fat, durable army like Death Guard to events.

This is why I dumped Dark Eldar after only one game in 3rd edition. About a third of the army was broken by the time it hit the table.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

DancingShade posted:

This is why I dumped Dark Eldar after only one game in 3rd edition. About a third of the army was broken by the time it hit the table.

I legit have no idea how I'd transport the Yncarne anywhere other than by carrying it in my hands the entire time.

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Add metal washers under the baseplate, use a tacklebox with magnets on the bottom. Just use enough that a hard shake won't move it much/at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cyberpope v2 posted:

Add metal washers under the baseplate, use a tacklebox with magnets on the bottom. Just use enough that a hard shake won't move it much/at all.

Yeah this. I used to get a plastic tub and double sided tape big models to the bottom or embed them in huge wads of blutac, but this is the only sure fire way to stop your poo poo getting broken.

E: I played Eldar as well obviously...

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 30, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thanqol posted:

I legit have no idea how I'd transport the Yncarne anywhere other than by carrying it in my hands the entire time.

Box everything individually and pack within a shitload of cotton wool.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do it. Take a Lieutenant and some Hellblaster squads and go crazy.

That's really disgustingly workable.

627 points for a LT with power sword and plasma pistol, plus 3 x min-sized Hellblasters with assault incinerators.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 30, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

That's really disgustingly workable.

627 points for a LT with power sword and plasma pistol, plus 3 x min-sized Hellblasters with assault incinerators.

I think Hellblasters work best as 10 man squads so you can maximize the benefits of the +1D stratagem, but you get the idea. Alternatively go cheap with a Lt and Intercessor Battalion and then add a ten man Hellblaster squad.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Supposedly in response to that tourney fuckery from yesterday they added a new rule for those events: 20 min turns, 3 warnings and you're out.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

Supposedly in response to that tourney fuckery from yesterday they added a new rule for those events: 20 min turns, 3 warnings and you're out.

A Good Rule, although probably needs to be applied with some stretch. Slow playing is a curse on the game.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Definitely sounds like a rule that's going to be applied selectively.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

A Good Rule, although probably needs to be applied with some stretch. Slow playing is a curse on the game.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Definitely sounds like a rule that's going to be applied selectively.

Yeah, I'm not really sure on how it'll jive with the alternating nature of the fight phase for one.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sure on how it'll jive with the alternating nature of the fight phase for one.

I suspect (as MsP said) that it'll be very selective. The reality of the game is that turns 1 and 2 tend to take a lot longer than the others, but they're so destructive that you reach a point where things speed up. Hopefully it'll be contextual - your turn 1 is a ton of assaults and there's a lot of back and forth to work through? Fine, no bother. It's been 20 minutes and you've not even finished moving your dudes yet? That's a warning.

I look forward to the first time we get controversy over this ruling as someone like Tony tries to use it as a cudgel against someone else by bringing the chess timers out.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

I look forward to the first time we get controversy over this ruling as someone like Tony tries to use it as a cudgel against someone else by bringing the chess timers out.

Fun bit about that, not only was he such a oval office that they literally rewrote the rules because of him, doing so also lost him the $5k pot for LVO and the $3.5k for being top of the ITC championship.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Kind of amazed "bore your opponent into submission by playing slow" even became a tourney tactic. You'd think people willing to play multiple games of 40k would have the patience of a saint.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They should have banned him from the tourny if they wanted to send a real message.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Neurolimal posted:

Kind of amazed "bore your opponent into submission by playing slow" even became a tourney tactic. You'd think people willing to play multiple games of 40k would have the patience of a saint.

It's because the rounds are time-limited.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

It's not so much bore into submission as it is to prevent your opponent from having agency. You're at a distinct advantage if you're controlling the flow for 100 minutes of a 150 minute game. You can't fail any saves that you don't take.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Just picked up a box of assualt marines, death company and sanguinary guard. Coupled with my DI box and Calth box set, I now have a pretty big Blood angels force.

Between Sang guard and assault marines kit, I think I should have enough to make a jump Captain.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Between the Assault Marines and Death Company you can spread out those blood covered bits to make 10 dudes that won't make you want to kill yourself painting every last detail.

Something I planned to do for my characters was to swap the backpacks. If I built a character out of the Death Company box I'd give him one of the MkIV winged backpack from the Sang Guard, and visa versa with the MkVII one for a captain made out of the Sang Guard box. It'd help me and my opponent know which golden boy was the Captain rather than just another squad member.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They should have banned him from the tourny if they wanted to send a real message.

This would have been the appropriate response. It's completely clear he wasn't interested in participating in the spirit of the event at all.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Between the Assault Marines and Death Company you can spread out those blood covered bits to make 10 dudes that won't make you want to kill yourself painting every last detail.

Something I planned to do for my characters was to swap the backpacks. If I built a character out of the Death Company box I'd give him one of the MkIV winged backpack from the Sang Guard, and visa versa with the MkVII one for a captain made out of the Sang Guard box. It'd help me and my opponent know which golden boy was the Captain rather than just another squad member.

The plan is to use a Sang guard head, storm shield and normal jump pack. New to blood Angels, are Captains usually red or gold armoured?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The plan is to use a Sang guard head, storm shield and normal jump pack. New to blood Angels, are Captains usually red or gold armoured?

Gold.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Artum posted:

Fun bit about that, not only was he such a oval office that they literally rewrote the rules because of him, doing so also lost him the $5k pot for LVO and the $3.5k for being top of the ITC championship.

and apparently his spot in the ETC (ATC? one of them), since one of his teammates was in the chat.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Thanqol posted:

750ml yogurt container with a small circle of foam taped to the lid.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Really depends on what you want him to be. Tycho was 3rd company Captain with a full set of golden Artificer armor, while 1st Company Captain Karlaen was in red Terminator armor, and the captain on the Blood Angels codex made out of the old captain kit was also red.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ugly John posted:

and apparently his spot in the ETC (ATC? one of them), since one of his teammates was in the chat.

lol this dickhead's self-own becomes ever more incredible

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dante and Tycho are/were the only gold BA commanders. Most captains are red.

Edit: what Slowpoke said

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Really depends on what you want him to be. Tycho was 3rd company Captain with a full set of golden Artificer armor, while 1st Company Captain Karlaen was in red Terminator armor, and the captain on the Blood Angels codex made out of the old captain kit was also red.

Thanks guys. Btw what's the best load out for Sang guard and death company (will be magnatising anyway but just gonna ask)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Thanqol posted:

Definitely seems like something that the newer version of the GW cases might actually be good at. I'll probably be testing it with my Inceptors for Adepticon.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It'd send a message but it'd probably kill the tournament's image and competitive 40k as a whole. The LVO and with it 8th edition's image is still nascent, and for a player to be thrown out in the semi-finals for bad sportsmanship would be a very negative event. Alex handling it with class and not just rage quitting like I would have probably saved the LVO and competitive 40k in general. Tony getting his just desserts in the finals was even better revenge than just a DQ regardless.

Reece and Frankie owe Alex big time.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Definitely seems like something that the newer version of the GW cases might actually be good at. I'll probably be testing it with my Inceptors for Adepticon.

Inceptors are the goddamn devil. Those stems are a nightmare, I've had 3 of 6 break and they're a nightmare to repair. Treat them like the delicate babies they are.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What are currently the go-to army cases?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Partial Octopus posted:

What are currently the go-to army cases?

KR. The new GW ones actually look decent, they're a lot better than they were. Don't give Battlefoam money, that guy's a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Corrode posted:

Don't give Battlefoam money, that guy's a oval office.

:munch:?