Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ah, yes, I love this Linebarrel scene.

"You've kidnapped me just to get to Hayase? Meaning you have no idea who I am?"

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

You should've started years ago man, it's good. Go read it. Sadly the translation is still incomplete but it's one volume or so before ending so you have a long way to go before the LP catches up to it, if this game even has the full story.
UX only adapts up to the point of the manga where the time skip would have happened, but stops there and has an original ending to Linebarrel's plot because the manga was still ongoing at the time. The game does leave in a few extraneous plot events in the story that amount to nothing since they set up post-time skip content, like [REDACTED] being a cutscene only unit.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Grown up mentor Shinn is a real trip. I'm not sure if I like him or SRWV's incarnation where he's still adjusting post-Destiny more.

And yeah go read the manga, people. It's drat good and goes amazing places that a SRW game simply cannot cover all of.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Choose the Europe route and Richard says he’s worried about not only Garan’s Forces, but also this new alliance between the Frontier Fleet and the AEU. Eida understands, knowing that if a force as powerful as the fleet starts taking sides, it could sow the seeds to a new conflict across the world.
After this, pretty much all other scenes proceed the same. Of note, however, is that while the Fafner kids have been assigned to work with us, ALVIS still needs a bit more time to get the Siegfried System readjusted so the Fafners can operate beyond Tatsumiya on this route. Once that’s taken care of, they’ll meet up with us.

And we get Scarlet as a tactician, who boosts the effects of any Support skills by 10% (meaning it lessens the damage penalty on attacks and boosts damage reduction in defense). Not that it really matters, since mitigation isn’t all that important and Zhuge Liang provides a damage boost for everything you do during your phase, but hey.

Mazinkaiser’s deploying as an event unit, but you can still pair it with someone. So, we’re going like this:
Arnie/Luna
Guan Yu/Tsubasa
Shinn
Liu Bei/Saya
Zhang Fei/Fei-Yen (shrug)
Mazinkaiser/Eida
Tactician: Zhuge Liang

Off we go.

: C-Curse you all... Gwwaaaaaargh!

: Yaaahooo! Did you see that? That’s the sort of skill that separates a Super Ace from the rest! (Patrick)
: Garan Forces or whatever you’re called, the AEU’s our turf! Your party’s about to come to a screeching halt!
: Hurray for Colasour, the immortal! That’s our captain!
: Not Colasour, Mannequin! How many times do I gotta tell you I changed my name after getting married?!
: Apologies, sir! Everyone stick with the captain!

*Patrick keeps leading the charge up ahead.*

: Hrk… Wh-What?!

: So you’re the leader of this army? Hm, you do appear to be decently skilled… however, you know not that you should quit while you’re ahead!

: Wh-Whooaaa—!

: C-Captain Colasour?! We can’t continue… retreat! Retreat!

: So this is all the armies of the surface truly have to offer? What a disappointment…!
: Indeed, he is the only one who can stoke the flame inside me…

But Patrick’s fine (of course), and he’s run off to Marseille to cry on Kati’s shoulder over getting shot down (and she’s now a brigadier general, not a colonel, dang it!). Didn’t she send him a report telling specifically to be careful with that unique black unit? She did, but Patrick never liked reading reports, so…
Garan’s invasion is getting worse by the day, yet Kati has to make do with a tiny amount of forces. Just what is the Federation leadership thinking?! “Everything’ll be fine, my love! Just leave it to your sweet Patrick! I’ll gladly risk my life fighting in your name, colonel!” It’s BRIGADIER GENERAL!
But a mook walks in, telling Kati an envoy from the Martian Development Bureau has arrived…Dog Tack.

Burn’s returned to Garan’s frontline base, making good on his vow to repay the boss man for his kindness. That said, when Burn’s old nemesis is found… Garan understands, and will allow Burn to leave and go face him.
As Burn thanks him and exits, Garan ponders the Black Knight: a man with emptiness in his heart, yet with unquestionable skill as a warrior. Himiko wonders what kind of man Burn’s nemesis – one Shou Zama – is, but Garan doesn’t know either. That said, he does envy Burn, and hopes to someday meet a foe strong enough to view as his own nemesis.

But never mind that, has Himiko managed to find the “truth” she sought now that they’ve stepped into the world outside Machina Island? Not yet, unfortunately, but she does have come to realize something: that this world is home to something akin to a massive and sprawling, yet unseen, spider-web. Or, perhaps, it’d be better to refer to it as the threads of fate.
All these threads lie interconnected by the force of fate itself, weaving together a beautiful tapestry. And at the center of it all stands the one doing the weaving. Whether that being is God or whatever, it makes no difference to Garan: “If the fate that’s been assigned to us is to keep on fighting, then…”

Cut to the Quarter, already down on the surface, Alto’s not too happy that they’ll be taking part in an operation against Garan’s Forces – the brass is ordering them to get involved in Earth’s wars now? Indeed, and it came as an official request from the Frontier government as per their treaty with the AEU.
The suddenness of it all strikes Klan (who turns into a little girl when miclonized) as very odd: let’s not forget that ever since the fleet arrived on Earth, they’ve always been told to keep to space and not descend on the planet’s surface. But Michel sees what’s up: the local governments don’t want to deal with the Frontier’s issues, but they would still love to gain access to their forces and tech.
That said, Canaria points out that with the Vajra confirmed to be arriving in this world as well, the fleet can’t afford to dispatch its own forces – therein lies the business opportunity for PMCs like the SMS. Kinda seems to Monica that we’re taking advantage of the situation but, as Bobby sees it, moments like this are precisely what their company is here for. That doesn’t make Alto happy that they’re taking part in a war that isn’t theirs, mind.

Cathy doesn’t think the government has any problems with this, having the sinking feeling that the only reason the president’s office ever signed that treaty was to be able to send the SMS down to Earth. Why does she think that? Well, for one, it seems Leon Mishima was one of the most vocal voices in favor of the treaty, and the guy’s been trying to leverage Earth’s ongoing state of affairs for political gains for a while now.
So, Ozma surmises, they’ve been sent to Earth in order to get the guy more intel to use. Isn’t that pretty much spy work? Still, Jeffrey notes that the Frontier’s unable to return to their own universe, so they must look for a place to settle down on this Earth – many among the fleet’s residents are seeking to immigrate here, too. If what Mishima’s doing will enable that, then it’s a worthy cause.

Michel agrees with the captain, noting the decades their fleet spent roaming the galaxy in search of a new world – and now they’ve finally arrived on one. Yes, it may be a planet in a different universe, but if it’ll let the people to set their feet on solid ground, then they shouldn’t let this opportunity pass.
Ozma asks what everyone else thinks and Alto inwardly ponders how all he wants is to FLY THROUGH A REAL SKY. But having to fight in a war to make that happen leaves him with a bad taste in his mouth.

Back to us, our people are hitching a ride on the WSO dropship and Saya reports that Garan wasted no time deploying huge amounts of troops and assaulting various parts of Europe. His blitz caught the AEU wholly unprepared, resulting in a very confused counteroffensive where they’ve been stuck playing catch-up.
Liu Bei had taken Garan to be an exceptional man even back at Machine Island, but now it’s clear to him and Zhuge Liang that his ability as a strategist isn’t one to be underestimated either. Magami does wonder about one thing: why hasn’t the AEU asked for the Federation’s help on this? Even those SMS guys are just civilian mercs, right?

As it turns out, from what Scarlet’s heard, the AEU did appeal to the Federation Army for help… but the HRL used its right of veto to shut it down. Looks like they really didn’t appreciate that treaty with the Frontier. Shinn sniffs at the big nations once again vying only for their self-interest, and Fei doesn’t understand why people won’t help other people being attacked. Makes Luna wonder why the Federation was even put together in the first place.
Still, even if they won’t be getting help from the Federaton, this whole thing strikes Tsubasa as strange: the request the UX got was to go and support the SMS, but why hire mercs and ask them to just assist another group of mercs? Sounds needlessly complicated.

When Eida asks, while Richard isn’t at liberty to outright tell us who their client is, he does say that it’s an important personage from a certain North American company. Arnie wonders if said business could be sponsored by the Hadou Financial Group, but the better question here is: why does a Union company care about the situation at the AEU?
Kaido doesn't see the point in wondering about all this, as it doesn’t change our job. All this talk’s gonna wear us out, Zhang Fei argues, and Guan Yu is forced to agree with him. Whatever the circumstances, we’re getting in there to do one thing: “Find and kick Garan’s rear end! That’s the long and short of it!” Kaido proclaims.

Mission 14 (Europe Route) – Search and Kill

:siren: SRW UX - The Target.
Elsewhere, some AEU troops are getting wrecked, but the SMS soon arrives to bail them out. Ozma tells them to let us, their new allies, handle this and off they go. Garan’s men aren’t impressed, and vow no mercy for any who’d oppose their leader’s conquest. Klan approves of their guts.
Ozma orders everyone to engage, but not to pursue the enemy in too deep – their foothold is further ahead and they likely have a lot more troops there. Formation Planet Dance!
Meanwhile, Alto’s getting his first feel of flying in atmosphere. Still, how much better it would be if he could soar through this sky without being in combat.

Blah, blah, blah. Kill everything, don’t lose the Quarter. The Garan troops are bulky enough that the Valkyries can’t oneshot them with their common missiles, but they’re still no challenge. Go forward and destroy.

:siren: SRW UX - Obelisk

And right on turn 2…

Monica pings a unit headed this way from within Garan’s controlled territory, and in comes Burn. The AEU’s already sent us intel on this “Ace Killer”, responsible for downing many of their forces, and Monica quickly pings even more stuff incoming. Enemy reinforcements?

No, it’s us, and Kaido’s annoyed that he got himself all hyped up for nothing: Garan’s nowhere to be seen! Richard gets on the mic and declares that we’re not hostile – rather, we’re here to help repel the invading forces.
Jeffrey remembers the UX from our previous encounter, though the data they received tagged us as mercenary outlaws… But what’s important to Bobby is the “mercenary” bit. We’re all professional colleagues here, so teaming up sounds good to him. Jeffrey agrees, and thanks us for the assist.
As for Burn, while he bears no grudge for us, his honor as a knight must be upheld – to battle! Zhuge Liang can see that the black unit’s pilot is good and warns us to be vigilant. Regardless, our goal here is to clear this area of Garan’s Forces.

Zwarth (Burn Bunnings)
Pilot Skills:
Aura Power L3
Prevail L5
Support Attack L1
All Attack L1
Mech Features:
Sword
Gun
Shield
Aura Barrier – reduces all damage from ranged attacks by 1000 + Aura Power level x100
Off-Shoot – upwards of 50% chance to outright dodge an incoming attack, determined by the difference between pilot and enemy’s Skill stat. Activates at 130 morale.
All-Canceller
Burn’s Voice Actor: Sho Hayami (other roles: Max Genius, Sandman, Eiji Kiriyama, Kei Katsuragi, Zhuge Liang in the Yokoyama Mitsuteru Sangokushi manga and many more)

As is tradition for any Sho Hayami character, Burn is a great pilot through and through. He’s pretty dang dodgy, especially over 130 morale, and the Zwarth has plenty of stopping power. That said, he suffers from the same weaknesses as Sakomizu, namely his steep range drop-off: Burn’s best attack is point-blank, and his second best is 1-2, which is hardly ideal.
Aura Barrier is there to force you to close that gap and get in melee range, of course, but the damage mitigation is a lot less severe than with the Oukaou. Burn’s Skill stat is on par with Moritsugu’s, too, so you’d best err on the side of caution and cast Strike if he’s got over 130 morale.
Regardless, approach him as you did Sakomizu, and you’ll be fine. Try and deal with him quickly, as he’ll move in right from the start.

:siren: SRW UX - Tales of Mirisha ~ The Brave Legend

:siren: SRW UX - The Eternal Soldiers

: If I had to go by its looks, I’d say I’m looking at an animal… but that’s actually a human-piloted weapon?!
: You are a bold pilot, I see. However, your movements remain far too simple!

--

: So this is Earth’s “Ace Killer”! He’ll be a tough one to drop!
: Ah, I’ve found quite the strong opponent! Maybe you’ll be able to stir my soul?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-AcLKax-Lw

: This mech’s the one belonging to Garan’s famous guest, hm?
: The visage of a skull paired with the presence of an iron fortress… Hmhmhm, you are more awe-inspiring than I expected!
: Come and face me! Hold nothing back!
: Sure thing, guy! And you better bring your A-game too!

: Ye aggressor who’d do away with the people’s joy! I shall see to your punishment in the heavens’ stead!
: You’re the Octagon’s Volunteer Corps, yes? I’ve always wanted to pit my sword against yours!

:siren: SRW UX - Future-Bound Fighting Spirit

: This machine… it’s an Aura Battler?! Did you also come from Byston Well?!
: You know of Byston Well?! So I really wasn’t the only one to emerge in the Overworld!

And we get a Black Knight’s Mask out of this (Evasion and Melee +10, Skill +5).

: So there are skilled fighters even among the overworlders, hm…
: Perhaps there is something to be gained by fighting in this land after all!

: Phew, I think it’s over.
: No, it isn’t…! I’m detecting other signals headed this way!
: Huh…? One of them’s giving out energy readings on a completely different scale from the previous troops!

: They’ve managed to repel the Black Knight… these are capable fighters, I see.
: Aah, you finally decided to show your face, geezer! Fashionably late like a badass, eh?!
: The skull devil seen on Machine Island… to think fate would provide me with a nemesis as it did to the Black Knight…
: And now my blade will verify whether you’ve the necessary strength to fill that position!
: Guess we got a surprise entry on stage…! Troops, focus all your attacks on that unit!

Kill off Garan’s Geistteles to wrap things up, but he’s hanging way back and there are plenty of mooks along the way. Take them first (prioritize Liu Bei if you still need that secret) and, then, move in.

Geistteles (Garan)
Pilot Skills:
Prevail L3
Support Attack L1
All Attack L1
Mech Features:
Sword
All-Canceller
Garan’s Voice Actor: Banjou Ginga (other roles: Luozorl and Jun in Masoukishin, Fatman in Xabungle, Gihren Zabi in the original Gundam and many more)

What do you expect from a guy that looks like this? He’s a big wall of HP that hits hard, but isn’t TOO accurate. His Prevail is surprisingly low and his best attack is point-blank range (lowers mobility and movement too), so just do your best to attack from outside that.
That’s pretty much it, really: throw everything you have and whittle away at him. Garan’s got no special tricks to be wary of and you can’t debuff him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk2QHYRmeVc
Here are both Michel and Luca’s best attacks, while we’re closing in.

: Why’d you leave that island?! I know you could’ve lived out your lives without invading other people’s homes!
: Are you suggesting I consign myself to my limited world, growing fat in the arms of peace? That is no different from death in the eyes of a warrior!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucWlze2SlvY

:siren: SRW UX - LOVE 14 ver. HD

: The Sleeping Beauty of Machine Island…! I confess I never expected us to meet under these circumstances!
: Y o u... D o you h a v e a n idea of w h o I a m? W h a t d o... y o u know...?!
: If you wish to know the fate that’s been given to you, then go and find it yourself!
: W h a t... is y o u r problem?!
: Someone a s k s y o u a n honest q u e s t i o n and that‘s h o w y o u answer...?!

: His strength, his speed… This guy’s on a totally different level from those other goons!
: Hah, you dare size me up? I like your cheek, boy. But, unfortunately, you still have a long way to go before you may call yourself a warrior!

: So you’re the one in charge! Then we just need to take you down and…!
: You are skilled, indeed! But is it enough to claim my head?!

: What possessed you to leave Machine Island, Garan?! Why do you bring suffering to other nations?!
: Taking sword in hand and seeking challenges to better oneself is the essence of a warrior! And nations are made by warriors!
: Nay! A ruler – a true ruler – will only take sword in hand to safeguard his people’s happiness!

:siren: SRW UX - Shadows that Rend Darkness

: Lepton Vectrer, output stable. Rising engine internal pressure…
: (What’s this I’m feeling…? Is his unit…?!)

: Psh, ain’t you too old to be getting into fights, geezer?
: Hmhmhm. Have you the mettle and strength to be my nemesis, skull devil? If you’re found wanting, however, the price will be your life!
: Hah, have it your way… We’ll enjoy giving you ample taste of our power!

Take out Garan and we get Scarlet’s Analects on Cussing (Defense +10, Melee and Accuracy +5).

: Hrrm…!
: Hah-Hahahah… It’s been a very long time since I last felt this excited. But, of course, this is exactly what I hoped to find when I stepped into the outside world!

: Wh-What… What’s he doing?!
: Now feel the bite of my attack!

: Gwaaargh! Th-This frickin’ geezer…!
: You cannot prevail against me with the might you possess, skull devil. Such is your fate.
: Our… fate?!
: Switch to me, Kaido! I’ll kill him myself!
: Ain’t every day I see you this amped up. Alright, if you insist…!

: I can overlook the philosophical drivel you spout, and your arrogance…
: But nobody tries to say fate has any influence over me and gets away with it!
: You do not appreciate that concept, hm? But it is they who struggle against fate the most who find themselves bound even tighter by its chains.
: You son of a bitch!

: What is going on with that unit?! It’s fighting like a madman now…!
: Magami, where did your cool go?! You’re being too aggressive! Keep your distance!

: Raaaaaaargh!
: What the hell are you doing, Magami?! Back up and lemme take over!
: B-Backup…?! I’m no one’s backup! I’M NOT A REPLACEMENT!!
: What’s gotten into you, Magami?!
: Hmhmhm. I sense the turmoil in your heart, skull devil.

*Beep.*

: Lord Garan…
: Himiko? Why do you interrupt me?
: I’ve noticed something. The man piloting the devil right now is…
: … What?! Hahah…! I see!
: You are like us! An Erbsünde!
: …?!
: Erbsünde…?
: Shut up…! I’m me! I live and die the way I want!
: My… my life belongs to no one but me!
; Hmhmhm… then it appears we are kindred spirits. You—
: SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

: R-Rrghh…!
: MAGAMI!
: Hmph, a bit underwhelming… but still somewhat enjoyable.
: Hmhmhm, Ahahahahahaha!

: Magami, Kaido! Are you alright?! Answer me!
: Recover the damaged unit and bring it aboard immediately! Ready the infirmary for the pilots! Hurry!
: Y-Yes, sir!
: Kch… argh…! Y-You dumbass…!
: …
: Thanks to you blowing a gasket… we’re… really… Hell…!

Back to the Marseille base, an AEU mook brings word that the Federation’s Normandy base has been taken by the enemy. That’s where they were mass-producing the new Riot Cs that would’ve been deployed in Europe, and Kati doesn’t know what they’ll do with that last ace in the hole lost.
Dog’s surprised/amused to see the famed strategist Kati Mannequin throwing the towel; seems to him that their proposal has just become even more of a necessity. Kati asks if they’re serious about reforming the Federation, and Dog confirms: this rotten shell of an organization no longer has the capacity to oversee this planet. Case in point, they’ve done absolutely nothing about Garan’s invasion.
Kati sniffs that the Martian Development Bureau is advocating for this because they were too far from Earth to know how things once got here. But she personally saw all the brutal crackdowns done in the name of “peace and security”.

Dog has heard of the A-Laws, but says that their failure was due to their flawed ideology. Now they must abandon Earth-centric notions and, instead, focus on bringing peace and prosperity for ALL of the Earth Sphere, including those out in space; and it is with the Martian Development Bureau, not under the yoke of the Big Three Nations, that this ideal will be realized.
Kati’s looking ill at ease, but Dog hopes they can count on her support when a new dawn breaks for the Federation.

Cut to the Quarter, Richard thanks Jeffrey for taking in our wounded, who in turn thanks them for the support. The SMS had never fought enemies like those before, so they wouldn’t have done as well as they did without us. As for the SKL pilots, Canaria reports that Magami’s still knocked out; they’ll be fine, but she wants them to get absolute rest for a while.
Eida wonders what the reason was for Magami’s uncharacteristic outburst back there, and Zhang Fei figures Garan poked at an old wound. Everyone’s got a part of their past that they don’t want to talk about, right? Guan Yu harrumphs that Fei shouldn’t bunch them all together – he doesn’t regret any part of his past.

Regardless, Ozma thinks we’ll need the SKL if we’re going to stand up to Garan’s incredibly powerful mech, and Tsubasa’s forced to agree. Do we know where he and his troops went after our battle? Cathy’s already received intel from the AEU saying they took over the Federation base at Normandy, where they were producing their new models. Arnie already knows what to expect from that and, yes, it’s very likely those are Riots.
Worse, Paris and London are just a stone’s throw away from Garan’s new foothold, and Scarlet fears the wrong move could endanger the cities and the local populace. Zhuge Liang isn’t too sure, though: Garan is a man who prides himself as a warrior above all, so it’s very unlikely he’d open fire on innocent civilians.
That said, Shinn knows the threat of an attack against those metropolis will keep the AEU army at bay, and Zhuge Liang posits that’s precisely what Garan wants. Why?

Because, as a shocked Burn realizes, Garan only wants the common army out of the way so he can settle things with his nemesis (though, going from that last battle, it's not quite deserving of the denomination). But they’ve just secured the new weapons of the Overworld army and are in position to attack two major cities and consolidate their dominion of the entire region, so why?
Garan figures Burn knows the answer to that question better than anyone: there is nothing a warrior desires more than a battle that can stir his soul, and that goes double when the opponent is another Erbsünde. A what? “They who’ve been burdened with the original sin,” Himiko says. “We were marked with the stigma of that sin from the day we were born, fated to languish in a living purgatory for as long as we draw breath.”
Hearing this, Burn mulls that Himiko mentioned that the underlying truth of this world lies at the end of this battle. What could that truth be? And what about this “original sin” that’s fated them to fight nonstop?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 28, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh my, hello there Banjou Ginga. Nice of you to join us :allears:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh, Miku's learning to talk.

How obnoxious is translating and writing out her dialogue, Brunom?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Oh, Miku's learning to talk.

How obnoxious is translating and writing out her dialogue, Brunom?

Translating it is fine; having to constantly press space for every single letter quickly gets annoying, though!

The thing with Miku is that, when she first woke up, she spoke with pretty much nothing but hiragana and katakana (perhaps one or two kanji), compounded with odd sentence breaks. Now she's phased out the kata pretty much entirely and the kanji is becoming more prevalent! :toot:

That said, when you're sticking mostly with hiragana and katakana in a language with as many homonyms as Japanese, problems might arise. Which is why I'm so glad she's picking it up quick.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
I certainly hope that we're recruiting Patrick and that you plan to full upgrade him :colbert:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

Alto inwardly ponders how all he wants is to FLY THROUGH A REAL SKY.
uuuuuugggggghhhhh

quote:

Still, how much better it would be if he could soar through this sky without being in combat.

UUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

If I have to put up with it, y'all sure as hell are also going to! :colbert:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Dear god, the "fly under a real sky thing" was mentioned, like, a handful of times in Frontier proper at most (and more often than not in casual conversations at that) and was resolved halfway through it anyway.

I think I agree with someone earlier who said that because of nature of SRW, there's a lot of what makes Frontier fun and interesting is...not as prevalent. To put it mildly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
SRW never did the best scene in the show (the hospital duet) so it's basically ruined Frontier every time

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Blockhouse posted:

SRW never did the best scene in the show (the hospital duet) so it's basically ruined Frontier every time

...poo poo, I can't really argue with that in the slightest.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

u: Sure thing, guy! And you better bring your A-game too!

u.

quote:

Back to the Marseille base, an AEU mooks brings word that the Federation’s Normandy base has been taken by the enemy.

Is it one or many? I'm guessing one considering context.

Also here we are at SKL's weirdest plot point. Magami is a clone and I guess the other two are too? It never really affects anything beyond this one scene and it's never fully explained either. We have no idea why they were cloned, who they were cloned of, where or when it happened... it's just kind of dropped on the viewer, "oh Magami is a clone and it really pisses him off to be reminded of it". That's it. I can hope either this or the other SRW with SKL (BX?) attempt to do more with it than that. I didn't even remember they had a name.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also here we are at SKL's weirdest plot point. Magami is a clone and I guess the other two are too? It never really affects anything beyond this one scene and it's never fully explained either. We have no idea why they were cloned, who they were cloned of, where or when it happened... it's just kind of dropped on the viewer, "oh Magami is a clone and it really pisses him off to be reminded of it". That's it. I can hope either this or the other SRW with SKL (BX?) attempt to do more with it than that. I didn't even remember they had a name.

Fixed. And I think only Magami is an Erbsünde out of the SKL pilots? At least he was the only one Himiko pinged as one, which was also the case in the original show.

And, after combing through the JP wikis, I've found that while the SKL OVA never really delved much into this subject, the Mazinkaiser SKL Versus manga did. Long story short, they're not clones but artificial humans made by mad scientist Faust, who planned on using them as troops with which to conquer the world.

But since UX focuses solely on the OVA, we'll see what happens here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Fixed. And I think only Magami is an Erbsünde out of the SKL pilots? At least he was the only one Himiko pinged as one, which was also the case in the original show.

And, after combing through the JP wikis, I've found that while the SKL OVA never really delved much into this subject, the Mazinkaiser SKL Versus manga did. Long story short, they're not clones but artificial humans made by mad scientist Faust, who planned on using them as troops with which to conquer the world.

I meant Himiko and Garan as "the other two", I know Kaido is a regular, if batshit insane, human.

Good to know the manga put more effort into explaining it though, I may read it at some point if it's translated. Completely, if possible, I don't want to have to leave another Mazinger manga I'm enjoying because the translator suddenly stopped like I had to with Zero.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Mad scientist Faust, you say?

....nah, probably someone else.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Things I haven't seen before, since I went down the America route split. Reading through the L LP in my spare time, and it's interesting seeing the Linebarrels differences. If sometimes a bit confusing reading about multiple versions of the same thing at the same time. Also with Macross Frontier TV vs. films I guess, to a lesser extent on both fronts. Aside, it's annoying how on a new game, The Target is the only available song from the series for a while. And it's no Dog Fighter, that's for sure.

Also, Kaido and Magami's banter has been pretty consistently great. I may have to check the actual series out...

Curious by the way, since you haven't been posting shadowed portraits: I'm assuming it's a problem with Citra not showing them correctly?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

SirSystemError posted:

Curious by the way, since you haven't been posting shadowed portraits: I'm assuming it's a problem with Citra not showing them correctly?

They do, but I've been taking portraits directly from the game files and shadowed portraits aren't there since that's just an overlay they place on the regular ones. Same goes for the "transmission" versions.

I'd either have to shadow the portraits or cut them out of pictures by hand, and that didn't seem important enough to warrant the effort.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Brunom1 posted:

They do, but I've been taking portraits directly from the game files and shadowed portraits aren't there since that's just an overlay they place on the regular ones. Same goes for the "transmission" versions.

I'd either have to shadow the portraits or cut them out of pictures by hand, and that didn't seem important enough to warrant the effort.

A lot of the time there's no real guesswork involved in figuring out who's behind the curtain anyway. It's all good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
An update late, but Riku really reminds me (unfavourably) of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G67-_dk8-yk

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
"Like Fatman but minus any of the things that made Fatman interesting or funny or charismatic" is a pretty damning condemnation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alacron posted:

"Like Fatman but minus any of the things that made Fatman interesting or funny or charismatic" is a pretty damning condemnation.

"How dare you, I'm an artist!"

But if nothing else, Fatman could imagine his own death and gave no gently caress about it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

I'd completely forgotten the Erbsünde thing and was looking forward to SKL having more of a plot.

A shame, really. :v:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Back to the America route, where Kurou and Heroman are deploy as event units AGAIN. At least you can pair the latter up with someone.
Arnie/Saya
Aesap
Shinn/Luna
Heroman/Setsuna
Kazuki/Eida
Lockon/Koyo
Tactician: Richard

Now forward!

Minami’s just finished talking to the Union’s president and will await a positive reply to his proposal. She and her aide figures the guy knows about the White House’s ties to the UX, or he wouldn’t have been so forceful in his pitch. But how did he come across that kind of information?
Seems to the president that the Union also has groups scheming in its shadows – groups that could threaten the Federation as well. She calls for NIA’s special agent Axel Hughes, wanting to have him look into this matter.

Cut to the Skrugg mothership, Gogorr’s meeting with Experiments #1 and #2. How do they feel? #1 feels fine, but #2 feels like a million bucks – power’s rushing through his body and he wants to fight right away.
That works for Gogorr, who says they’ll take part in the next operation. There, they can fight to their heart’s content; #1 confirms levelly and #2 is very grateful to GOGORR-SAMA. With that done, he sends them out to their target: that annoyingly persistent bunch in Arkham City.

Speaking of, over by the Hadou manor, Keisha reports the Skrugg’s progressively spreading invasion of various cities. Many sleepless nights are in store for said cities’ neighbors. And the question remains: how do the army and the government plan to deal with this crisis? She signs off and Psy shakes his fist at the goddamned Skrugg. Lina STILL hasn’t managed to get in touch with her brother, and really hopes he’s safe.
Erebos suggests we go and attack the main Skrugg ship and blow it to smithereens (“They’ll be all like ‘KA-BOOM!’”), but Shinn points out that we don’t have the manpower to attack an enemy HQ. They’ll have far too many enemies for us to deal with. Mind, if we found some sort of weakness to exploit, he might change his mind.
Speaking of, where have Denton and Rachel ran off to? Arnie figures they might be able to come up with something for us. From what Psy’s heard, he and the genius girl are working on some project in the underground hangar. A new invention? Maybe, and Psy hopes it won’t be some weird gadget again.

Denton’s very much enjoying having the Hadou Financial Group supplying his budget – he’s got all the supplies he’d ever need and knows THIS one will be a stunning creation (and not a dud like before). Rachel’s also confident that it’ll be finished surprisingly fast, as their work’s been on point since this project started. So, what is it his “stunning creation”? From what Mileina and Lasse see, it looks like a guitar and a giant speaker.
Well, Denton tells them that he just needs to get this baby running and they’ll have the Skrugg beat as easy as 1,2, 3! Feldt doesn’t look confident…

Back up top, Kurou’s unusually silent. “Are you still worried about that annoying child, Kurou? In truth, I would think her not being mad to be far greater cause for concern.” Al harrumphs. Kurou agrees, but says last time wasn’t like the others – Ruri was REALLY angry back then.
True, as Sonya and Lockon remember that she wouldn’t even listen when he tried to apologize, only giving him that slap. Looks like it’s serious this time. Kurou feels awful and, while Winfield apologizes for his lady’s behavior, admits that he really trashed the Demonbane last fight. “Still, that’s no reason to hit you,” Koyo objects. “While I don’t know how valuable that mech is, the life of the person fighting with it has got to be more important.”

On the flip side, as Soushi points out, the Demonbane’s an irreplaceable weapon – losing it due to the pilot’s recklessness is not acceptable. “That’s exactly what I’d expect to hear from the guy who just watched Shouko kill herself to protect the island, Soushi,” Koyo sniffs. Kurou tells them both to cut it out, as one fight in our crew’s more than enough.
Winfield apologizes again, and begs that Kurou remember that the Demonbane is very special to Ruri. It IS her only memento of her grandfather, after all.

: “It may be true that the world is filled with evil. However, it’s also true that there exists a justice that loathes that evil.”
: That’s what my grandfather said that day… when my mother and father had been murdered by the Black Lodge…
: But, justice—

*BOOM!*

: Wh-What?!

: Hmhmhm… Fooound yooou.
: ?! AAAAAH!!

Mission 15 (America Route) – The Invaders

: This isn’t good! The manor’s surrounded by Skrugg!
: How could they get so close without anyone noticing…?!
: Communications through the manor are down! Quickly! We must make sure the lady is safe and sound!
: Okay! Lead the way!

*Bang!*

: Urgh!

*Dead.*

: Good shot! Then again, you are a sniper.
: Yup, how would I earn my keep if I couldn’t land these, right?
: The rest of our team’s headed for the Ptolemaios! We should also hurry on over!

: Aesap, from your right!

*Sword clash!*

: I know, I know! Quit yelling in my ear, Cham!
: Bah, I’m just trying to be useful! Shou’s not around, but I can still help you!
: You beasts waste your time! Surrender!
: Wh-What should we do?! We’re getting mobbed!
: Allow me, please! Observe… secret technique: Toccata!

*Atatatatatatata!*

: Gwaaaargh!

*Dead.*

: Huuh?! He took down a Skrugg with his bare hands?!
: A pendulum step followed by a perfect counterblow… that looked like a boxing technique…!
: Maybe, but he’s far exceeded the level of simple boxing.
: Now I see why Ruri Hadou needs no one but him accompanying her. He’s that strong.

: Hm… You are quite the interesting man to find in what I’d expected to be a dull mission.
: Who—?!
: Get back!

*Machinegun fire!*

: S-Setsuna! You can’t just shoot anyone who…!
: Hmph. That firearm will avail you not against me…
: Wha…?!
: Y-You’ve got to be kidding me! He parried all the bullets?!
: This dark, loathsome aura, and your scent… you are a sorcerer!
: Indeed. My name is Titus, named among the disciples of the Black Lodge and one of the Anticross…
: Anticross?!
: 'Tis they who are the mightiest sorcerers of the Black Lodge! They who answer directly to Master Therion!
: We can’t waste time on this guy, Al! We gotta find the princess!
: You are too late. My associate should be taking her captive as we speak.
: What did you say…?!
: Their target is Ruri Hadou… So you were the ones who cut the manor’s comms?!
: Master Daijuuji, time is short. I’ll take care of this while you hurry after the lady! The rest of you should head for the Ptolemaios!
: But if we leave you alone…!
: Please. Sorcery is not the only way for one to become superhuman. I will show this man the absolute zenith of the art of battle.
: Alright… Don’t die on me!

*Kurou runs off.*

: I’m coming with you, Mr. Daijuuji!

*Runs!*

: W-Wait!

*Flies!*

: Hmph, is that the fist-fighting that passes for sport in this country? Fool… you intend to do battle with me unarmed?
: Boxing is humanity’s ultimate art, refined over countless years…
: And if you would berate it as a mere sport, I shall endeavor to educate you on its techniques quite thoroughly, Mister Bushido!

*Tentacles (of course)!*

: Hahaa, I’ve got you.
: Wh-What are these disgusting feelers?!
: Now, let’s see… how should I kick off our fun time, hmm?
: N-Nooooo! Winfield! Help!

*Kick door open!*

: Piss off, freak!

*Slashes tentacles!*

: Hrgh…?!
: Mr. Daijuuji…?!
: Are you alright, princess?!
: Kurou Daijuuji…! You’ve got some nerve getting in the way of my fun!
: You are another Anticross, are you not?!
: Oh, yes. My name is Tiberius. Charmed.
: This man… what’s this dreadful Aura emanating from him?!
: Eeeww! He’s even got tentacles dangling around his mask! Yuck!
: Oh, now that is so very mean. My babies are so very excited to see you, even!
: No one’s into tentacles nowadays, freak! Now get ready for some pain!

*Back outside…*

: Heromaaaan… ATTACK!

: Haah, haah…
: Stay strong, Joey! Everyone’ll be here soon!
: I-I’m fine! I’ll keep them at bay until they arrive…!

*Beep.*

: All units have finished being set-up! Ready to deploy on your order!

: Kurou’s group will handle the situation inside the manor. We need to focus on dispatching the Skrugg!
: Take them down, troops! Don’t leave even one of them around!

Kill everything, don’t lose the Ptolemaios or Heroman. The Skrugg are still the same, so let’s deal with them and try to forget Awful Tentacle Clown. You’ll have to spread you guys out some because the Skrugg are primarily split across the east and west sides of the map.

:siren: SRW UX - JOEY AND HEROMAN

: They have begun…
: Will we really cast our lot in with these people…?
: Hm. However, 'tis not solely for the purpose of returning to Mirisha.
: Indeed, I will find and behold with my very eyes the “underlying truth” of this world that that woman spoke of…

:siren: SRW UX - My Fate

:siren: SRW UX - Shangri-La

Kill about half the enemy troops and…

: More Skrugg…?! Were they hiding out in the neighboring areas?!

*Beep, beep!*

: And we’re detecting even more of them coming straight for us!
: Way this is looking, it’s only a matter of time before they get here!
: drat it, what’re we gonna do now?!
: Joey… Help!

: IT’S FINIIIIIIISHED!
: Professor! You talking about that thing you were working on?!
: Exactly! We’ll put our secret anti-Skrugg weapon to use and send them all packing!
: “Secret anti-Skrugg weapon”? Do you mean that guitar and the giant speaker?
: We’ll explain everything later! Let’s go and give it a try!
: Come on, Psy! Let the world hear the first cry of our great invention!
: Well, I guess that’s the best shot we got! I trust you, professor!

*Guitar solo!*

: Ggwaaaaaaagh!

*All Skrugg lose 10 morale!*

: The Skrugg are in pain?! What’s going on?!
: Hmhmhm… I had an epiphany during our battle with Dr. West!
: The Skrugg reacted very strongly to the music of his guitar. Ergo…!
: We figured that high-frequency sound would be a more effective weapon than even missiles against them!
: Oh, wow, that’s an amazing discovery! That’s why you two are the resident geniuses!
: And it looks like the Skrugg within the manor are also being weakened by the sonic weapon.
: Heheh, are they now? Then get a load of this, Skrugg!

: Hrrnghaaaaa! Wh-What weapon is that?!
: W-We’ve no choice…! Send them in!

: Skrugg reinforcements?! But those don’t look like any that we’ve seen…
: There’s the white one – our enemy…
: Engage and destroy!
: Those two Skrugg are looking at me and Heroman…?!
: Worry about that later, Joey! We gotta focus on just dealing with the enemy!
: O-Okay!

Experiment #01
Pilot Skills:
Prevail L3
Support Attack L2
All Attack L1
Mech Features:
Gun
20% HP and EN Regen
#01’s voice actor: Makoto Yasumura (other roles: Shozo Tadokoro in Rinne no Lagrange, Dan Gotanda in Infinite Stratos, and some more)

Experiment #02
Pilot Skills:
Prevail L2
Support Attack L1
All Attack L1
Mech Features:
Gun
20% HP and EN Regen
#02’s voice actor: Akiyo Suyama (other roles: Ichiro Ogami in Sakura Taisen, Zagi in Tales of Vesperia, Physica in Macross 7 and some more)

Skrugg midbosses, but still Skrugg. #01’s clearly the better of the two, packing more of everything #02 has, but he still can’t take a hit worth a drat (courtesy of that SS size).
Their accuracy gets a decent boost thanks to their size and their power is appropriately good, but we’ve fought way stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JywQPfssQs
And here’s the #01’s best attack since he chose something he could hit.

:siren: SRW UX - Shadows that Rend Darkness

: The fact that they are fielding these new types of Skrugg shows what a nuisance they see us as!

: He’s strong… this guy is nothing like the Skrugg we fought before!
: The white one… it’s our enemy! The Skrugg’s enemy!

#02’s easier to take out, but #01 has a Psy’s Skateboard we can take.

: The new Skrugg are immobile! Now’s our chance!
: HERE GOES!

: Gyaaaaaaargh!
: H-Hrrgh…!

*Mask shatters!*

: Gwaaaaaargh!
: A-Aah…!
: N-No… brother?!
: Hrrm…
: N-No way… that Skrugg is Lina’s missing brother?!
: Which would mean… is Nick the other one?!
: Urgh…
: They… were they converted into Skrugg?!
: And I don’t think that’s all. They also seem to be under some mind-control…
: But that’s… why?!
: Wait, something’s up with them!
: Hrk... Rrrgh…!

*Beep!*

: We’re calling for a stop to your mission. Retreat, Experiments #1 and #02!
: R-Roger…!
: We won’t forget this, humans…!

: No! Will! Come back!
: They retreated…?!
: I’ve finally found you again… why… why did this have to happen to you?!
: Lina…
: The battle’s still not over, people! Bring down the remaining Skrugg!
: U-Understood…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOEI1eeUE5o
Aesap got really trigger-happy with his High Speed Evasion during this mission.

And we take out the rest of the Skrugg right on this turn.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 28, 2018

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

: Looks like that was the last of the attacking Skrugg.
: The ones within the manor have also pulled back.
: All thanks to that guitar attack! You guys really saved our bacons!
: And now we just have to deal with the two Anticross…

*Tiberius is flung though the manor’s window, into the city!*

: Hrrgh…!
: That’s…!
: Haah, haah… Finally, I got that freak outside… Urk!
: Mr. Daijuuji…!
: Look at him… he’s hurt all over!
: You... you piece of FILTH!
: Rise, Belzebuth, my Deus Machina! Gorge thyself!

: It’s… a Deus Machina?!
: A mechanical God, given form by sorcery…!
: Heheheh! Oh, save your surprise for after you see this!

: The Skrugg we just beat are back…?! What’s going on?!
: R-Rrr… aaah…!
: Psh, those guys’re like zombies. Is that some sort of spell he’s using?!
: That power… is he—?!
: Sorry, princess… I’m gonna have to borrow the Demonbane again…
: Mr. Daijuuji, you’re too injured! Fight in that condition and you’ll…!
: I’m still… going to fight!
: Mr. Daijuuji…!
: If we let a psycho like that run loose… we risk losing everything...! So, I…!

:siren: SRW UX - Deus Machina

: I need the Demonbane!
: Mr. Daijuuji… you’re…!
: Now come! Thou art the innocent blade…! DEMONBANE!!

: You dare face me with one foot in the grave?! I’ve always hated stubborn men!
: Shut the hell up! I’m coming for you, ya squid!
: He reminds me of Shou…
: Shou…?
: He’s a man who gets outraged by the sight of evil… A man who’ll fight to the very last drop of his life, no matter how wounded he is.
: A man who’ll fight to the very last drop of his life, no matter how wounded he is…
: (He’s just like my grandfather…)
: Kurou, the power we attained last battle, the Mirror of Nitocris, is now available to you!
: Use the illusions it creates well, and it will serve us nicely as decoy!
: Got it! Let’s go, Al!

What Al means is that, on top of everything, the Demonbane now has a Mirror Image ability (max of 30% chance to evade, determined by the difference in Skill stat). We just need to down Tiberius to end this mission, but, as always, make sure to go after the Skrugg if you’re getting kills for secrets.

Belzebuth (Tiberius)
Pilot Skills:
Sorcerer L3
Grimoire L3
Prevail L2
Support Attack L1
All Attack L1
Mech Features:
20% HP Regen
Tiberius voice actor: Kazuki Yao (other roles: Judau in ZZ, Shinobu/F.S. in Dancouga stuff, Franky in One Piece and a ton more).

Can you say debuffs? Because Tiberius is packing a bunch of those: his weakest attack will apply Attack Down, whereas his best one debuffs your morale AND immobilizes the target. Not nice.
Tiberius’ offensive stats are on par with Garan, though he’s nowhere as good a shot and has about 28k less HP and defenses. He’ll hit harder, mind, as both his weapons come packing S on Earth, so lead with your dodgier units and make sure you don’t get tagged. 20% HP regen isn’t insignificant against a midboss, but your guys should be able to down him on one round to avoid any surprises.
One way to get yourself an easy boost is to gather up your people outside his range (he’ll focus on Kurou, of course) and pop Setsuna’s Trans-AM Burst when he moves in. Surprisingly, he’s not immune to debuffs, so you can really put a big stat difference between him and our guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsXnJRHRI0g
This Skrugg decides to get clever sniping at Kurou, but we get clever back with the power of smoke and mirrors!
I’m guessing these buggers have abysmal Skill since we’re proccing these effects so often today (or the RNG Gods are really smiling down on me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4z3fq6W2XM
Richard laughs in the face of your Spec Down debuff!

:siren: SRW UX - Deus Machina

: Barely alive and you’re still coming after me? Aren’t you a tough one.
: Shut the hell up! Don’t talk, don’t even breathe the same air as me, freak! Your smell alone makes me sick to my stomach!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7KJmDkgIfc
“We’re facing an Anticross now – no holding anything back!”

:siren: SRW UX - My Fate

: How’d you like fighting the dead? Would you care for seconds? Because I can make that happen.
: Erebos, Cham said the souls of dead humans go to Byston Well, right? Then the corpses he’s controlling…
: Right, they’re just pitiful, soulless puppets… Aesap, you can't let him get away with this!

:siren: SRW UX - Envoy from Jupiter

: Black Lodge… You’ve so much power, so why do you use it only to destroy?
: Why, I think that answer should be pretty obvious! It’s because that’s much more fun than the alternative!

: Ooh, aren’t you a cute little boy? Maybe I’ll take you as my plaything.
: I-I’ll be alright…! I’ve got Heroman here with me! I don’t have to be scared of this guy!

: A merc, eh? You work to make some cash, we work to sate our desires… I’m sensing a pattern here. Come on, let’s all get along!
: When I fight, it’s to protect the lives of others! I’m nothing like you!

:siren: SRW UX - Life Goes On

: Controlling the dead… I can’t believe sorcery can even do something like that!
: Hmhmhm, is there someone you’d like brought back? Just leave it to Uncle Tiberius. I’ll raise that person as a nice zombie for you!
: There’s no bringing back the people we’ve lost… which is why I fight for those that are still around!

And Tiberius gives us an Eida’s Disc (+10 Defense and Ranged, +5 Evasion)… this raises worrying implications that I’m not comfortable thinking about! :staredog:

: Hrrmmmm! That hurt… THAT HURT!

: What?! All those wounds just vanished in a second…!
: These regenerative abilities, the power to resurrect the Skrugg… I was right, his power stems from…!
: That’s right. I’ve gained immortality by way of my grimoire, De Vermis Mysteriis!
: And now I’ll use this power to teach the lot of you a lesson! CTHUGHA!

: Aaaiiieee!
: Th-That attack was…!?
: These magical energies are being drawn from some of my fragments…!
: 'Tis the power of the pages depicting the Great Old One, Cthugha – the divine manifestation of the flame that dwells in the star Fomalhault…
: So the enemy managed to their hands on more of your fragments…?!
: That, we did! Now behold the power of a Great Old One!

: Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthugha Fomalhault!
: N’gha-ghaa naf’lthagn. Ia! Cthugha! (Anyone here speak Old God? Apparently it means: "Gone but not forgotten, Cthugha sleeps at Fomalhaut, promising death to one and all. Hail Cthugha!")

: Wh-What the hell is that huge ball of fire?!
: Estimated temperature over 10000 °C…?! That’s as hot as high-density plasma! If something like that detonates…!
: Hahahaha! This is a flame that can scorch the very heavens! And now it’ll turn everything here to cinders!!

: DAI GURENZAN!

: GIIIYAAAAAAA! It buuuuuuuurns!
: Wh-What just happened?!

:siren: SRW UX - The Legend of Mirisha

: You say such a paltry flame can scorch the very heavens? Do not be ridiculous!
: What the hell…! He dispersed that ball of plasma with a single attack?!
: A tiny Gundam…! He’s another person from Mirisha?!
: Now, Kurou! Commit this demon to the underworld!
: I-I know, but… We need to hit him with something stronger than his regen, or he’ll…!
: Mr. Daijuuji! Try the Lemuria Impact, if you would!
: “Lemuria Impact”?!
: The Demonbane’s First Point-Blank Sublimation Spell; it’s its strongest attack, blasting the enemy with endless heat! I’m dang sure it’d do the job…!
: P-Please wait a second! We’ve never even tested that thing!
: And if it isn’t controlled properly, it may destroy not just the Demonbane, but all of Arkham City…
: No, we’re doing it! I believe in Mr. Daijuuji!
: I’ve faith in the small yet unmistakable justice that lies within him!
: Princess…!

SRW UX - Sublimation of a Destroyer
:siren: :siren:

: Activate the Hilanipla System and encrypt the Words of Power! Form the Naacal Code!
: Roger. Words Al Mankib, Al Dua, unlocked!
: Words Al Yad, Al Yava, and Ibṭ Al-jawzā, unlocked!
: Naacal Code, encrypted! We’re good to go!
: Haaaaaah…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUpR6gnUie8
Captions are available. FYI, we don't actually unlock this weapon yet.

: Gwaaaaaargh! Th-These goddamned BRATS!

: He’s still regenerating?!
: That’s… UNFORGIVABLE! How dare you hurt me like this…?!

: Your mission is complete. Withdraw.
: ?! That voice was…!
: Hmhmhm, it has been some time, no…?
: Master Therion!
: You can’t be serious, Grand Master! How can I not kill my enemy and still call myself one of the Black Lodge?!

: Hrgh… Oooorgh!
: I’ll say it again, Tiberius. Withdraw.
: Y-Yes, Grand Master! Forgive me!
: Remember this, worms; the next time we meet, I’ll personally make your lives a living hell!

: The Lemuria Impact, hm? That was quite the amusing display.
: I sincerely hope you’ll stay this course, Kurou Daijuuji…

: That was Master Therion… the Grand Master of the Black Lodge?!
: Much as I regret to say it, he may have saved us today…
: I-I don’t care… the princess is safe… that’s good en…ough…

*Collapse.*

: Kurou?! Get a hold of yourself, Kurou!

: Haah, haah…!
: I have been ordered to withdrawn. You never told me your name, though.
: I am Winfield, head butler of the Hadou manor…
: Winfield, the warrior. I confess I did not expect to find a man of your caliber here…
: I shall eagerly await our next encounter…

*Warp away.*

: Titus, the Anticross… a fearsome opponent, indeed…!

: Is this all right, Grand Master?
: Is what all right, Augustus?
: Al Azif has recovered more of her fragments, new foes have emerged against us, and the Hadou manor is still intact…
: Our actions today did nothing but empower the other side…
: Whether her fragments lay in mine or in Kurou Daijuuji’s hands, it will all be the same in the end.
: After all, we’ll eventually need Al Azif to be complete...
: I agree with you, but…
: Do not concern yourself with trivialities, Augustus. As for the Hadou manor… you could say that was just a small game.
: And regarding the appearance of that unforeseen visitor, I say this could make things even more entertaining than we expected. Am I wrong?
: (It’s as if you want the enemy to get stronger… What are you thinking, Grand Master…?)

: Hrgh… W-Where am I?!
: Mr. Daijuuji! You’re awake, thank goodness!
: Princess…
: I swear, what were you thinking doing something as reckless as that in the state you were in?! Do you enjoy being a nuisance to us, fool?!
: Hahah, you say that, but we all saw how worried you were until not long ago.
: Oh… I’m really sorry I worried you, Al.
: N-Now, do not misconstrue any of this! I was worried simply because I would have to find another sorcerer if you were gone!
: Hah, is that right?
: Mr. Daijuuji, thank you… If you hadn’t saved me, I…
: Nah, you don’t need to thank me… besides, I got the Demonbane wrecked again.
: That doesn’t matter. I realized something as I watched you fight.
: You may just be the person my grandfather was looking for… someone who, with unyielding faith in a small yet definite justice, turns to wield the sword that smites evil…
: Princess…
: Mr. Daijuuji, I am entrusting you with the Demonbane. Please take good care of it.
: Yes, princess. I, Kurou Daijuuji, vow to see to it to the best of my abilities!
: Aw, it’s so great to see everyone getting along!
: Indeed. This is a major step towards our victory.
: (Yeah, things are better for us… but what about Joey and his friends…?)

: (I can’t even bring myself to try and ask them to cheer up…)
: drat it, we’d just found a way to fight back against the Skrugg and they pull something like this?!
: Will and Nick got captured and turned against us… It still doesn’t feel real…
: Is fighting them the only option we’ve left...?
: “Fight”?! But they’re humans!
: Yet, they’re presenting themselves as enemies. We have a duty to defeat them.
: ?! Soushi, you…!
: No, there’s still hope for them!
: Prof. Denton…
: Will and Nick looked like they were in pain while they were retreating. And I think that pain was caused by their mind-control loosening somewhat.
: Meaning their human memories still remain?
: This is purely conjecture at this point, mind you. But if their memories do remain…
: Then there’s gotta be a way to bring them back to normal, right?!
: So we can save my brother and Nick?!
: Yeah, I’m sure we can if we just work together…!
: Absolutely… Those two are being controlled and forced into battles against their will… and we can’t let it go on! We will save them!
: Thank you, Joey… Thank you all…
: (But if we do wind up fighting other people… when that happens, I…!)

: You want to come with us…? You, warlord Cao Cao, one of the big shots in Romance of the Three Kingdoms?
: Aye. You see, we were flung into this world by the grand power of the heavens…
: Therefore, we concluded that the gateway may open once more if we are capable of reproducing a power of such scale that it rivals that of the heavens.
: (A gateway to another world… It’s like the Wings of Rean and the Aura Road…)
: Well, you’d sure have plenty of battles to try out your theory hanging out with us…
: But you oughta know that we’ve heard a lot about you from Liu Bei and Sun Quan, Lord Cao Cao.
: Liu Bei and Sun Quan?
: I see. So they have, indeed, also come to this world…
: They did. And they’re cooperating with other allies of ours right now.
: They are…?!
: You were fighting against those two during the Battle of Red Cliffs, yes? May I ask what you plan on doing when we eventually rendezvous with them?
: A unified Mirisha is my ideal. And should any stand against said ideal, be they friend or family… then I shall cut them down!
: Y-You…!
: However, the opposite is also true. Should you be willing to walk at my side, then your past and origins matter not to me.
: (The way he thinks is just like…)
: (King Sakomizu…)
: In other words, so long as we do not actively position ourselves against you, you will be satisfied?
: You may look at it that way, aye.
: Alright, then. We’ll take you up on your offer.
: M-Mr. Richard…!
: That said, since we’ll all be working together, I trust you won’t have a problem following the team’s orders and strategy, yes, Lord Cao Cao?
: Hmph, very well. I look forward to beholding your skill.
: I believe I could also be of use in regards to said strategy. Regardless, it is a pleasure to accompany you…
: Yeesh, first Zhou Yu, then Zhuge Liang, and now we have Sima Yi teaming up with us...
: That makes all of the three rival strategists in Romance of the Three Kingdoms, right?
: Yamashita’s going to freak out when he hears about this!

*STOMP!*

: Wh-What?!
: Aesap, Lux, we’ve got a big problem!
: What is it, Erebos?! Did something happen?!
: It’s the Nanajin! It just started going crazy out of the sudden…!
: The Nanajin?! What’s going on…?

*Swooooosh.*

: H-Hrm…
: I-I’m… alive…? Where… Where am I?!
: Marvel! Cham! What happened to me…?!

And we’ve got Sima Yi, who’s got the same first tactician bonus as Ylbora. He’s not the big prize here, of course…

Cao Cao Gundam (Crimson Frame)
Pilot Skills:
Soul of the Three Sovereigns
Prevail L3
Support Attack L1
Counter
All Attack L1
Commander L2
Spirit Commands:
Sense
Focus
Fury/Direct Hit
Mech Features:
Sword
10% HP and EN Regen
Squad Bonus: Accuracy +5, Melee weapons + 100 (Accuracy +20, Melee +200, Crit +15)
Cao Cao’s voice actor: Kenji Nomura (other roles: Euzeth in 2nd OGs, Iron Tager in BlazBlue, Orcus in Gundam IBO and many more)

Right out the box, Cao Cao’s the strongest of the three main SD Gundams. Liu Bei gets ahead due to his combined attack, but this guy’s got him beat solo and has Sun Quan beat in everything. Stat-wise, he’s better than the two on everything except Skill (Sun Quan is better).
As far as his attacks go, he’s a melee fighter through and through but, like Sun Quan, his current best attacks are pre-movement. You could give him Hit & Away if you like, but do know that he’ll get around this issue later in the game – pairing him up with someone with the skill until then could be a nice compromise.
As with the other SD Gundams, his weapons have decent-to-heavy EN costs, so take appropriate measures there: EN Save, upgrades, squad bonuses, etc. More EN means more fuel for the Cao Cao conquering machine!
Liu Bei and Sun Quan are already great units and Cao Cao just as great, so you absolutely want to save him a spot in your team.

Oh, and there was one convo we missed:

: Heheheheh… you’re never catching me with those stupid moves!
: That voice… why do I feel like I’ve heard it before?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 28, 2018

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Brunom1 posted:

: Mr. Daijuuji…?!
: Are you alright, princess?!

Portrait mix up here?

Brunom1 posted:

: Right, they’re just pitiful, soulless puppets… Aesap, you can let him get away with this!

Should probably be can't, unless we're ok with zombies now for some reason.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Fiiiiiixed :tizzy:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

There is an English/R'Lyeh translator, but it doesn't parse the text from this game.

I have no idea if it parses the text from Lovecraft's books but I figure it would, as it would be kinda pointless otherwise.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I dunno if Tiberius is now "The worst fucker to be in an SRW game" but if he isn't he's certainly trying his damned hardest to get there.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tentacles and panty shots. Was this really necessary, Banpresto? Was it? Did you need to keep that?

This is too Japanese...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Tentacles and panty shots. Was this really necessary, Banpresto? Was it? Did you need to keep that?

This is too Japanese...

Actually with the Lemuria Impact not only did they have to keep it, they completely redid the animation from the anime and improved upon it in every respect

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Onmi posted:

I dunno if Tiberius is now "The worst fucker to be in an SRW game" but if he isn't he's certainly trying his damned hardest to get there.

Hopefully they just don't acknowledge... The implication. But if they do, he really needs to get one of those "enemy of women everywhere" speeches shortly before being leek-slapped into oblivion by Miku.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is too Japanese...

Eeh, the tentacles are pretty much Tiberius' primary form of attack when not in his mech, so they couldn't omit it without really switching things up on that front. And I'd put the blame of the panty shot squarely on the anime folk as Banpresto's expected to be faithful to the source material when making attacks.

Onmi posted:

That depends, are we talking about anime Tiberius or VN Tiberius? Because I think anyone'll be hard loving pressed to find a worst person than VN Tiberius - the guy's THE most vile and monstrous person in an IP that features Old Gods!

If you've seen both adaptations, you know: the anime really toned down Tiberius.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Eeh, the tentacles are pretty much Tiberius' primary form of attack when not in his mech, so they couldn't omit it any more than they could omit the Tekkamen's weapons or the like. And I'd put the blame of the panty shot squarely on the anime folk as Banpresto's expected to be faithful to the source material when making attacks.

That depends, are we talking about anime Tiberius or VN Tiberius? Because I think anyone'll be hard loving pressed to find a worst person than VN Tiberius - the guy's THE most vile and monstrous person in an IP that features Old Gods!

If you've seen both adaptations, you know: the anime really toned down Tiberius.

Oh, the Tiberius represented here. VN Tiberius is so god damned awful that almost literally anyone in this game and all SRWs in existence could be a recruitable character on the grounds of "Opposes Tiberius"

Also, I think we should clarify that while they describe them as tentacles, they're intestines

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not emptyquoting this...

Because I still need to give a hearty gently caress YEAH CAO CAO :black101:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Alright, time for more blathering on about Gundam models!

GX-9901 Gundam Double X

Cao Cao (Sousou) Gundam is based upon the DX Gundam from After War Gundam X, the mid-series upgrade for protagonist Garrod Ran (the subject of that pun a few missions back). The DX has a special security lock requiring a device known as a "G-Controller" to operate, but it's compatible with the original Gundam X's, so it wound up stolen by Garrod basically immediately after its introduction. It, along with its related units (the GX, Gundam Leopard, and Gundam Airmaster), was originally equipped with the Flash System, which enabled Newtypes (basically the same as their UC counterparts) to control a set of drone Mobile Suits in a similar fashion to the Funnels and Bits of the UC. Additionally, the DX had a partner unit, the G-Falcon, with which it could combine to improve performance (the Leopard and Airmaster were retrofitted to add similar functionality with the G-Falcon, as well). However, the most well-known feature of the DX was the Satellite Cannon. Using transmitted microwaves from a base on the moon's surface during clear nights, the DX could fire a terribly destructive beam of energy against which there is nearly no defense. On Cao Cao's back, that silver wing-like business resembles the DX's microwave panels when not in use.

MSN-04 Sazabi

Sima Yi (Shiba-i) Sazabi is based on Char's final mobile suit, from Char's Counterattack (unless you want to count the novel-exclusive Nightingale). It was equipped with a Psychoframe and Psycommu System, making fullest possible use of Char's Newtype abilities and turning the Sazabi into almost an extension of his own body. It packed a number of powerful armaments, but its signature weapon was the latest model of funnel. They weren't any different from the funnels used by other Neo Zeon mobile suits at the time (though a large improvement over those previously used by the Qubeley and other older mobile suits), but the Sazabi could recharge them between uses while lesser models could not. It also carried a unique beam rifle variant, the beam shot rifle, capable of switching between normal fire and shotgun-like spread shots. The Sazabi had an integrated mega particle cannon (a weapon that used to be found mainly on battleships), as well, designed to fire a wide-angle beam capable of destroying several targets at once. Its melee weaponry included an improved beam tomahawk, a weapon Char had favored since his days piloting a customized Zaku II. While the Sazabi was destroyed in battle with Amuro Ray's Nu Gundam during the conflict surrounding the Axis colony drop, its schematics were used to develop the Sinanju as part of the same program that produced the Gundam Unicorn, making the Unicorn and its sibling units the final direct technological descendants of Anaheim Electronics' Project Zeta outside of mass-production models or obscure side works barely anyone knows (though the Unicorn's development was undertaken by the Earth Federation directly).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Despite reading the VN, I'd completely forgotten Tiberius.

...I can't wait to forget him again.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Wait... Why are Qubeley and Sazabi teamed with random AU Gundams and not each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

HitTheTargets posted:

Wait... Why are Qubeley and Sazabi teamed with random AU Gundams and not each other?

It's actually about pairing them with people from other factions. Recall Endorph's explanation of who Diaochen was, and how in one version of the tale, Guan-Yu just kills her. Now recall which Gundam is playing Guan-Yu. There's your answer (I mentioned this in a previous bit of Gundamchat, in fact :colbert:).

As for Sazabi, he's Cao Cao's strategist, thus he's placed opposite Zhuge Liang Re-GZ, and I'm waiting for Brunom to confirm/deny Zhuge Liang Re-GZ's secret being touched on in UX before saying exactly why it's the most appropriate pairing.

Besides, Char and Haman were never friends, anyway, their visions for Neo Zeon were completely different.