Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I was going to enhance both my aileens but then i realized it would be a waste when 7* comes out because one of them eats the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Yeah I'm in this wierd place where I'm not bothering enhancing or throwing tickets at anything. I can clear content, and who knows which dupes I'll have when 7* hits.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I'm just hoarding so that my post pull depression on the FFIX banner will be even sweeter.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I've had little motivation for to do much of anything in the game lately. Just TM grinding and clearing events once. I did end up burning about 40 tickets and 10k lapis on the healer banner to get a 2nd rem for 7*, although a 2nd Ayaka would have been ideal, but no luck. Got a 2nd Gilgamesh too so that reduced the pain too. With 40 more tickets and 56k lapis, and I've got no plans to use any of it. Maybe dailies and a 5k pull once CG Sakura is here (provided its a single 5* banner, which is a big if), and then seeing the holiday units. I was trying to stockpile lapis for Valkyrie profile, but seeing the units on JP made me change my mind (I may try to get 1 or two, but come on, making them all finishers is dumb).

I still havent done several trials, but they would all take more time then I'm willing to put into a phone game to focus on. I should try some 10 man ones, since I definitely have the teams to clear them, but effort.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I haven't done Ultros yet or anything past that for trials mostly because my units and gear are all over the loving place and I need to just corral everything just to challenge trials. I did clear Reset Bird but only because of the restart exploit that fully revives/heals your party if at least one of your units survive the preemptive attack. I could also do that to cheese literally every other trial but that would be a weekend project probably.

I'm mostly into this game for the events. I'm perfectly happy when there's a raid going on since those are just free and I get to put together a ridiculous murder team. KM events are great too but not when they last 2+ weeks because Gumi thinks that we need a whole week to run a loving bonus KM exploration or boss fight.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Quick question: I have a pretty limited understanding of chaining, but as far as I can tell more rapid hits in rapid succession can lead to a shitload of damage.
I also seem to be an absolute magnet for Onion Knights, because I’ve now managed to get four of the little guy.
Am I correct in assuming that, if I were to fully level up all of them and give them some decent equipment, and then set them all to use onion slice or one of their elemental attacks, I could get an absolutely massive chain going? Like, gamebreakingly massive depending on my choice of equipment and abilities?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Quick question: I have a pretty limited understanding of chaining, but as far as I can tell more rapid hits in rapid succession can lead to a shitload of damage.
I also seem to be an absolute magnet for Onion Knights, because I’ve now managed to get four of the little guy.
Am I correct in assuming that, if I were to fully level up all of them and give them some decent equipment, and then set them all to use onion slice or one of their elemental attacks, I could get an absolutely massive chain going? Like, gamebreakingly massive depending on my choice of equipment and abilities?

https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Mechanics

Check out combo/chain mechanics. With 4 onion knights, yeah, you’ll do a ton of damage. Chaining does have a cap so even though you’d have a 127 hit chain (with perfect chaining) it wouldn’t be some super massive inflated multiplier by the end. It would still be a shitload of damage just because onion slice has that high of a multiplier though. You should definitely learn the chaining trick(s) for your device of choice if you want to go down that road. Onion Slice is a bitch to try to chain manually and not have it break in the middle.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Ugato posted:

https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Mechanics

Check out combo/chain mechanics. With 4 onion knights, yeah, you’ll do a ton of damage. Chaining does have a cap so even though you’d have a 127 hit chain (with perfect chaining) it wouldn’t be some super massive inflated multiplier by the end. It would still be a shitload of damage just because onion slice has that high of a multiplier though. You should definitely learn the chaining trick(s) for your device of choice if you want to go down that road. Onion Slice is a bitch to try to chain manually and not have it break in the middle.

Well, the good news is that more Onion Knights makes chain breaks quite a bit less common, since there's just so much less chance of one of them getting that troublesome two-hits-in-a-row thing from dual-wield.

But yeah, just chain the same element, always. Also try to find a specific element imperiler, like Shantotto who can decrease Wind resists by 50% with Tornado, or William who can do the same for Earth resists with Quake. And if you do get a specific element imperiler, make sure you don't mix elements, for instance using Splendor of Fire with a wind weapon which would cause the damage to become 50% fire and 50% wind, and basically give you less bang for your buck from the Imperil.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Did an installation of a SSD from Christmas on my dedicated TMR computer, so I had to redownload memu etc etc.

I decide to screw around and run through the tutorial and see who I get on my pulls. I get there, and poof...there are NO pulls available to press...

That has to gently caress with a new player. Download the game, go into the tutorial and not be able to make a pull attempt.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

hagie posted:

Did an installation of a SSD from Christmas on my dedicated TMR computer, so I had to redownload memu etc etc.

I decide to screw around and run through the tutorial and see who I get on my pulls. I get there, and poof...there are NO pulls available to press...

That has to gently caress with a new player. Download the game, go into the tutorial and not be able to make a pull attempt.

You get like 5 tickets from finishing the tutorial, though? Or is that bugged?

e: you have to actually finish the tutorial

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Yea I got the tickets. It was literally 4 Aidens in a row, and a Seven...

It was a 10+1, 5 tickets, and an EX ticket.

Got it to work by just restarting the app.

NOW I can't get the loving macro to work

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Office Thug posted:

I enhanced both of my aileens and I have gear for them. They are really good, yes, but with only 4 power purecrysts left and like a billion upcoming unit enhancements I'd really like to get I'm kind of feeling it was a poor decision already.

Onion Knight needs like 16 purecrysts by himself if you want all his splendors.

But But BUT it's worth it because Aileen is top-tier DPS chainer up until 7*s are released... right??

On a dumber note, I just spent a minute checking which 5% trust moogle I should buy from the current event. At 10k currency, I wanted to be sure I only got useful ones. Was ready to roll when I realized I counted a zero too few

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Cobalt60 posted:

On a dumber note, I just spent a minute checking which 5% trust moogle I should buy from the current event. At 10k currency, I wanted to be sure I only got useful ones. Was ready to roll when I realized I counted a zero too few

Yeah, those 100K moogles are a ridiculously bad deal.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
yeah I guess I counted 1 less zero as well

They're 100K? What kind of messed up fuckery is that?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Has some one created a listing of most important Limit Bursts to have?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I usually go with https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Limit_Burst_Rankings_by_Fantasticsphere

It’s broken down by category so it’s not like an overall ranking list. But I find it useful enough to decide who to dump LB pots into for the next month.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I just spent like 4 hours playing Dissidia Opera Omnia. It's similar to FFRK where you pick up the characters by playing through the story and the gacha is for their equipment. The big difference is that the graphics are 3d and look pretty awesome. Also 10+1 pulls guarantee at least 1 five star weapon. Combat is pretty fun but I'm not sure if I could really describe it properly. It seems kinda simplistic but there's some strategy to it. Anyways, it's fun and y'all should check it out.

Here's the trailer if anyone's interested:

https://youtu.be/85GI-rnBESU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

hamsystem posted:

I just spent like 4 hours playing Dissidia Opera Omnia. It's similar to FFRK where you pick up the characters by playing through the story and the gacha is for their equipment. The big difference is that the graphics are 3d and look pretty awesome. Also 10+1 pulls guarantee at least 1 five star weapon. Combat is pretty fun but I'm not sure if I could really describe it properly. It seems kinda simplistic but there's some strategy to it. Anyways, it's fun and y'all should check it out.

Um, holy poo poo. :stare: I need this in my life. I'm guessing it soft launched in NZ or something?

Edit: never mind, found it! Downloading now. I'm so in.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 31, 2018

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

hagie posted:

Has some one created a listing of most important Limit Bursts to have?

CG Sakura's.

Also, she's going to drop this Friday, and she's the only rainbow on the banner.

Well, it's been nice knowing you guys!

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I just wish there was a list of LBs that were like “if you have this unit, you need to max it out.”

For example, none of them seem as critical as Rikku. I’d do 9S, but I pretty much have yet to use him...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

hagie posted:

I just wish there was a list of LBs that were like “if you have this unit, you need to max it out.”

For example, none of them seem as critical as Rikku. I’d do 9S, but I pretty much have yet to use him...

Rikku's really isn't that necessary. I've used her a ton and never bothered to max it. You really only need it for the reraise because there are plenty of other higher buffs that override the SPR/DEF you'll get from it.

Priority on LBs should always be things that you can't get from other sources. Wilhelm and Mystea's damage mitigation being obvious ones. Garnet being another good example of an LB that does something you can't do with abilities.

Plenty of units just have useful LBs like Roy, or some units that have a high damage LB attack though I'd only really focus on those if the unit itself also has innate ways of increasing their LB generation. Onion Knight, Cloud, Olive, being some examples of ones I've raised. I really can't say enough good things about Onion Knight's LB as with his strong ability to generate LB crysts, a pair of them can basically trade them one after one in 95% of the explorations to clear trash mobs without spending any MP.

I also like to put LB crysts into debuffs as they tend to be better than you can get on a lot of abilities. Notably: Tidus and Veritas of the Heavens can both debuff their element to 100%. Apparently Knight Delita is also quite good for his LB at 7*. All this said, I don't really like to rely on LBs for debuffing stats as you typically want those debuffs up 100% of the time and it's just easier to be able to rely on an ability than building a single unit to get the LB crysts and keep it up. There is the occasional fight where your ability to get crysts is limited and it's safer to keep a dedicated breaker around.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maxing out a limit break is really resource intensive and its only made worse by the stupid mechanic where its more expensive to level them when they are higher ranked (which only recently got removed from the JP version)

Attack limit breaks are almost always easily ignored because the consistency of damage from abilities trumps limits most of the time. This changes with 7* with some limit breaks doing significantly more damage after the extra base rank and ability modifiers get factored in. Limits like Aileens suddenly become useful do to her being able to act as a finisher and just insane modifiers coupled with her innate 75% imperil. CG Sakura's limit break is useful if you want to chain with another CG Sakura, but can be ignored for the most part because she's meant to be a finisher. Hyou's on the other hand is more useful given that he's naturally a chainer, even when one handing, so you'll want a copy of him as a friend unit anyways.

Stat breaking limit breaks are usually a good bet, specially if they come in with extra benefits. Lorens 7* limit is absolutely bonkers. Beatrix's limit is also very good for the reason, just not as insane as its just a defensive break.

Imperil limit breaks are also strong offensive modifiers. Anything at or above 75% is good. Anything at or above 100% is bonkers.

In my opinion defensive limit breaks are almost always better than healing limit breaks. This is mostly because healing is already super strong in the game. MP recovery is something else though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Played for like a year now, and since expeditions came out I do tons of LB pot expeditions. I always try to get the King Burst pot if it's up as a reward for anything - expedition reward for relics collected, raid point reward, whatever. Still only managed to max 3 LBs so far. Well, Mystea is actually one level from max so almost three.

The long rear end grindy nature of all this usually doesn't bother me too much but that is just bad design imo.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Thanks to the loads of tiny burst pots from expedition as well as the king burst pot every 2 weeks, I am literally running out of units to throw them into.

I've maxed out the LB of a few units I've never even really used, or used only a couple of times. Including a second Rikku, Veritas of Earth, Mystea, 9S, and Cloud.

I mean, they are all useful LBs, but I haven't really used the units that often and haven't really got much out of leveling them. Yet I still have more pots than I know what to do with. Right now they're going into Tidus because why not.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Hopefully they'll do egg seekers again this year. I got enough burst pots to max out 3 or 4 LBs.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

hamsystem posted:

It is "interesting" very much FFRK. I may supplement my FFBE downtime with it...not sure if I will entirely abandon FFBE just yet. I was kind of disappointed with the initial offering of "gifts" for a day 1 situation. I figured it would be gushing with loot.

Haven't seen a goon thread on it yet. Everyone must be figuring it out. I have no loving clue what I am doing in that game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It’s a bit of a long reroll but the starter loot is super generous. A guaranteed 5* (Warrior of Light is the good one out of the three) and over 18,000 gems. You get one half price 10+1 pull for 2500 then three more for 5k apiece. It’s not at all unreasonable to target a start with 6-8 5*s three of which are for top characters like Cloud, Vaan, WoL etc.

Also there’s a code packed in with Dissidia for consoles for a 5* Cloud weapon better than anything else at release. Paired with the Gacha 5* it turns him into a monster apparently.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I can't believe they fixed nearly nothing with this maintenance.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

hamsystem posted:

The nice thing is that this game was the catalyst for forcing Gumi to become generous with pulls, as the DFFOO Gacha is super generous on 10+1 pulls and half-price draws are common. DFFOO stole a ton of FFBE's playerbase in Japan.

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 1, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Cool, so when does that come to Global

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

suuma posted:

Cool, so when does that come to Global

about 65 hours ago

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im pretty sure the catalyst was Apples new regulations and needing to update their client. The moment they had to update the client they were no longer considered grandfathered on the previous rules and were forced to show the odds.

Also we have absolutely no clue how OO is affecting any sales because the trackers arent reflecting it and FFBE is doing about average what it usually does

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
That's an excessive amount of 0s in the pull rates.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im pretty sure the catalyst was Apples new regulations and needing to update their client. The moment they had to update the client they were no longer considered grandfathered on the previous rules and were forced to show the odds.

Also we have absolutely no clue how OO is affecting any sales because the trackers arent reflecting it and FFBE is doing about average what it usually does
I'm talking about the JP version. JP FFBE initially lost a ton of their userbase to OO, so FFBE had to become a little more generous to get the money flowing again.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Varance posted:

I'm talking about the JP version. JP lost a ton of their userbase to OO.

Yeah, I'm talking about the japanese version

like yeah, I cant tell whether or not f2pers are abandoning it for OO because they dont pay hence the trackers cant see them. But the japanese tracker is so far, very consistent, with a spike for the new banner that got it close to the top and now settle where its usually at.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 1, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

about 65 hours ago

Are we talking about the displayed rates or the part where JP gives out a shitload more lapis and tickets than GL does?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

suuma posted:

Are we talking about the displayed rates or the part where JP gives out a shitload more lapis and tickets than GL does?

I think it’s in reference to the game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

suuma posted:

I think people in general have the belief that the japanese version is more generous when you could argue the opposite in some cases. Like there's been a lull in people saying this since christmas because january was pretty bog standard in japan when it comes to banners and gifts. We've gotten proportionally faster QoL improvements and rewards types than in JP (when contrasted to the schedule)

Christmas + new years was just absolutely bonkers in the japanese version though. Tons of lapis, UoC tickets, good bundles, the best healer in the game on a guaranteed 10+1 roll. We got jack poo poo in comparison. But now its sort of business as usual.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I'm sorry, but getting quality of life updates slightly sooner does NOT compare to the amount of extra free stuff JP gets. This is why I'm questioning whether or not global will get the same 7* system, because I guarantee you that on average, a JP player will have twice as many 5* base units as a GL player who has put in the same amount of time and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Like I've said before, we got things like 5* tickets EARLIER proportionally than the japanese did. As it is right at this instant, there is no reason to believe that we will be worse off than the japanese when 7* roll out. The only way we would be worse off is if they rush out 7*s faster than in the japanese version and completely forgo step ups.

• Locked thread