Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rastor posted:

In terms of values of the coins, by law of supply / demand a sudden increase in supply should drop the price, but cryptocurrencies are currently inside a bubble and normal logic is not going to apply

That also should only be true for a very short period of time if the coin is operating properly (if). Virtually all coins now are designed with a reactive scaling difficulty, so that a massive influx of compute power is very quickly met with a massive hike in difficulty (what we saw here), so that in short order it all evens out. So that ASIC that you bought that on 28 Jan was making you $50/day at 600 difficulty is now making you $5/day at 6,000 difficulty, because each coin now takes 10x as much processing power to mine as it did before. So the influx of coin supply should remain relatively stable.

Which makes is somewhat doubtful that the ASIC people are really gonna make their money back on this, either, but oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rastor posted:

In terms of values of the coins, by law of supply / demand a sudden increase in supply should drop the price, but cryptocurrencies are currently inside a bubble and normal logic is not going to apply

Yeah that’s what I was getting at. I figured it could either mean “oh drat can’t mine this coin anymore it’s worthless now” or “oh drat can’t mine this coin anymore the value can only go up!!!!”

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah that’s what I was getting at. I figured it could either mean “oh drat can’t mine this coin anymore it’s worthless now” or “oh drat can’t mine this coin anymore the value can only go up!!!!”

Good sir, this is the Cryptoburrito Mining Thread. The only place to go is up!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is it getting that bad? When I sold my 1060 a few days ago I was still getting about 3.50. That was with a customized setup of Multipoolminer that I was using and alternating between miningpoolhub and nicehash but still.

Winminer in particular is low, but it's also the easiest by far to cash out of. I made a quick $25 from them a while ago, but then the return dropped to about 70% of nicehash.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Now that NiceHash is paired with Coinbase, as long as you've got a PayPal account you can spirit your money out almost as easily as with WinMiner.

Speaking of NiceHash, they're supposed to reveal their Master Plan for paying everyone back their stolen butts no later than tomorrow. Eagerly awaiting the inevitable shitstorm and/or announcement of a second round of theft.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DrDork posted:

Now that NiceHash is paired with Coinbase, as long as you've got a PayPal account you can spirit your money out almost as easily as with WinMiner.

Speaking of NiceHash, they're supposed to reveal their Master Plan for paying everyone back their stolen butts no later than tomorrow. Eagerly awaiting the inevitable shitstorm and/or announcement of a second round of theft.

Hello we are introducing nicecoin, a coin you can mine to trade back to us for your missing coins.

Benefits:
- block chain

Drawbacks:
-

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

DrDork posted:

Watching the mining rate inexplicably take a huge dive in the last day when their supposed announcement is tomorrow is setting off my bullshit alarm but I dont know exactly what for.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Davorcoin dropped down to $3 lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/DavorCoin/comments/7tzsft/scam_is_coming_price_is_so_fking_down_3_now_sell/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hello we are introducing nicecoin, a coin you can mine to trade back to us for your missing coins.

Benefits:
- block chain

Drawbacks:
-

Okay so I made this post in jest, but in the Trump thread of all places I just learned about something called “tether” which sounds like what I was joking about.

Can someone smarter explain tether to me. Because it sounds like some dude just decided to start a company and offer their own currency, which they totally promised is tied to the value of the dollar, and people bought into it instead of buying bitcoins directly for ???? reasons.

Man honestly I wish my response to bitcoin when it was <$10 wasn’t “lol this is trash.” I could be so rich right now.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Okay so I made this post in jest, but in the Trump thread of all places I just learned about something called “tether” which sounds like what I was joking about.

Can someone smarter explain tether to me. Because it sounds like some dude just decided to start a company and offer their own currency, which they totally promised is tied to the value of the dollar, and people bought into it instead of buying bitcoins directly for ???? reasons.

Man honestly I wish my response to bitcoin when it was <$10 wasn’t “lol this is trash.” I could be so rich right now.

Alternatively you could also by $500k in the hole or dead.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Boris Galerkin posted:

You should contact Marty McFly if you need help with your time bias

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Obviously hindsight is 20/20. I’m not actually “upset” about not buying $10 in bitcoins back then.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bitcoin is just as stupid now as it was in 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://twitter.com/thelateempire/status/957527371221028865

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
In that case "millions" means exactly $11.00, but the premise of random coin ICOs wandering off with people's money is absolutely A Thing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
tether is literally Liberty Reserve and it's going to end exactly the same way in 3 months or so. Hopefully it'll take bitfinex with it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Boris Galerkin posted:

my post

an actual newspaper (note how the word "scam" was removed from the headline but is still in the URL)

bitcoin:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Just cashed out at 11.5k; price is at 9700 now. Wonder if this is the real pop or just another BUY THE DIP

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tehinternet posted:

Just cashed out at 11.5k; price is at 9700 now. Wonder if this is the real pop or just another BUY THE DIP

Speculation is that if USDT collapses its gonna take BTC with it. Like 50-80% freefal

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Don Lapre posted:

Speculation is that if USDT collapses its gonna take BTC with it. Like 50-80% freefal

Yeah, I read the article linked above. Even though I’m benefitting from mining, a part of me just wants to watch the thing burn because it’s so loving stupid. Well, that and the “my friend is missing because he took a 120k loan from a loan shark then BTC dropped 30%” posts.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

don't worry someone's gonna shovel 11 million into the coffers of the russian and chinese mobs to stop some of the bleeding

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
1070 gets usd2.5/day on nicehash, my local buttlords are already starting to panic selling their GPU special reserve

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Palladium posted:

1070 gets usd2.5/day on nicehash, my local buttlords are already starting to panic selling their GPU special reserve

I’m getting $3.30-3.50 USD on a 1070 as of twenty minutes ago.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
My rig garage heater dropped to $8/day from $14. :smith:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

People use Tether because it lets them trade on exchanges that are so shady and corrupt that no banks will work with them

People want to use these exchanges because people are stupid

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

tehinternet posted:

I dont know but I bought the dip big time all in, so... here's hoping. I think if it touches 9600 again it may go into freefall due to lack of any further supports.

*cheers*

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

number go up. please

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

NiceHash update: https://www.nicehash.com/news/nicehash-will-fully-reimburse-its-users

Apparently they’re paying back 10% of what’s owed starting this Friday and will continue to do so periodically. I’m honestly surprised that they’re going to pay anything at all.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

tehinternet posted:

NiceHash update: https://www.nicehash.com/news/nicehash-will-fully-reimburse-its-users

Apparently they’re paying back 10% of what’s owed starting this Friday and will continue to do so periodically. I’m honestly surprised that they’re going to pay anything at all.

quote:

Conditions for payment to external wallet addresses do apply with the Repayment program. When you reach 0.01 BTC you are eligible for payment. NiceHash will include your old balance in this amount.

You still need to mine there to get your money out

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

You still need to mine there to get your money out

Yup.

Pretty brilliant scam IMO; to get what you’re owed back you have to have to mine 0.1 BTC in total over an unknown period of time.

“Lose” everyone’s BTC, then hold their fake money hostage to force them to continue to use their service. Brilliant.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Oh nice. I doubt ill switch back to the external address but ill keep it alive. They owe me almost 0.02 so at least eventually it will be above the threshold but I suppose I need to remember to mine to it every month or whatever the inactive account cutoff is. I better find that out

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

For example, if your old balance (that is going to be reimbursed) is 0.009 BTC, you still have to mine an additional 0.001 BTC to this external wallet address so you reach 0.01 BTC in total. Once the combined balance shows 0.01 BTC, payment will be made to your external wallet address.

Well this makes it less clear. If you had over 0.01 BTC in your old wallet, does that mean it'll disburse anyway?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Hello bitcoin chat, I would like to buy a normal, midrange or budget GPU for normal non-blockchain uses (e.g. gaming). This is no longer possible due to this ever more infuriating ponzi scheme.

When might I be able to do that again? Are there any GPUs that are decent for gaming but poo poo for mining?

And on a related note, when craigslist eventually gets flooded by last year's no-longer-profitable-for-mining GPUs, how likely are they to be suffering latent heat related damage? Should I avoid altogether, or are they still worth picking up at severe discount?

Blessings and thank you

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mr. Wynand posted:

Are there any GPUs that are decent for gaming but poo poo for mining?

Probably better asked in the GPU thread, but GeForce 980 keeps pace with the 1060 while also wasting more power and thus being the kind of card miners would not covet for running forever since higher electric bills harms profit.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://www.nowinstock.net/ Baby sit the alerts and you will get a card within 2 days

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Repayment program
Current status

Original Old Balance: 0.00865530 BTC
Reimbursed by now: 0.00000000 BTC
Still to repay: 0.00865530 BTC

Disclaimer: By reimbursing of your old balance, NICEHASH d.o.o. does not, in any way or by any means, assume liability for the damages occurred because of NiceHash security breach on December 6, 2017.

edit: lol, if they're not "liable" for that, then who the gently caress is

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Wynand posted:

Hello bitcoin chat, I would like to buy a normal, midrange or budget GPU for normal non-blockchain uses (e.g. gaming). This is no longer possible due to this ever more infuriating ponzi scheme.

When might I be able to do that again? Are there any GPUs that are decent for gaming but poo poo for mining?

And on a related note, when craigslist eventually gets flooded by last year's no-longer-profitable-for-mining GPUs, how likely are they to be suffering latent heat related damage? Should I avoid altogether, or are they still worth picking up at severe discount?

Blessings and thank you

I am selling 1070's for $525 PayPal shipped to goons if you PM me, which is pretty fuckin' generous since I'm also easily selling one per hour on eBay for $625. It is a lovely PNY blower model but it works fine, looks mint, and I'll help you with warranty if you ever need.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
970 and 980 TI are the go to non mining gaming focused cards right now. On no, a dollar more electricity per month, just put that against the 300 dollars you saved not getting a Pascal.

Heat should be a non issue because anyone running a large scale mining operation has learned the benefits of running the cards cool and low powered. The only potential failure point is the fan since it might have been running for years without ever turning off and consumer hardware is designed with the idea people turn it off. A replacement fan is only like 15 dollars and a half hour of your time though, it's not a big deal if the cards are cheap enough.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just dont buy anything amd or blower style and you will be fine regarding used cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mr. Wynand posted:

Who the gently caress knows. Best guess is that Ampere is gonna be announced sometime in the next ~60 days, with release likely to follow shortly thereafter. If Ampere is enough of a bump over Pascal, and supply is decent (good luck), Pascal prices should drop precipitously. That'll also further depress the Maxwell market, which is probably your best bet for "poo poo for mining but good for gaming" cards right now--unless you're trying to push 4k or >100Hz, a 980Ti should be pretty decent for modern games for a bit still.

Mr. Wynand posted:

They will be fine. "Latent heat damage" isn't really a thing with Pascal, and neither is getting weird flashed VBIOSes (like it is for AMD). As has been noted, potentially a cooling fan might be on its way out, but that's a simple fix. Also, assuming this drop happens within the next few months, Pascal cards should generally still have a year or more left on the manufacturer's 3 year warranty. Buy one that uses serial-based support (EVGA and some others), and ask the seller to shoot you a PDF or printed copy of the original invoice, and then even if you do run into an issue you should be golden.

• Locked thread