Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
that would be perfect. i think valiant would adapt well to the screen; the world and characters are more modern and tightly bound together than the big two, making it less of a leap. w hether it could ever get off the ground or have success without name recognition of at least the studio i'm sceptical of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Few actors have a terrifying stare like Diesel. And he does quite rage better than so many others, he's the ideal Bloodshot in my opinion.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

Few actors have a terrifying stare like Diesel. And he does quite rage better than so many others, he's the ideal Bloodshot in my opinion.

I think Michael Shannon could pull off a great Bloodshot as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Isn't Bloodshot at least a bit snarky? Diesel doesn't do snark very well.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I finished reading the Venditti run of X-O and I have to say that the Fall of X-O one-shot actually made reading any comic with Commander Trill more interesting. Instead of a one-dimensional villain, he reads as a villain who will one day be a well-meaning and self-hating threat and later redeem himself. Only we don't know exactly when he makes that initial transition. It could be that panel of him silently hovering over his saved people in that final issue, but we can't know for sure.

He's like Magog, only we haven't seen Kansas explode.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
http://www.tcj.com/infinite-content/#.WlksnRwLmBN.reddit

I saw this on the Valiant Reddit. I don't agree with the article, but thought I'd share it since I read it...for some reason. It's basically almost 5 pages on why Valiant is bad before getting to two paragraphs of a comic book review. It's kind of baffiling too, really. I honestly feel this person doesn't read Valiant comics judging by their constant admissions that they don't care about it and their references to series as if they have no familiarity with them. Which then gets odd when you consider they then talk like an expert on it all and knows its bland and tasteless based solely on reading a promotional comic and knowing the companies' external history.

It feels like a hipster trying to say how they're oh so superior for...not reading the work from the indie superhero company?

Edit: One thing I will say is, out of their entire rant, they did make one good point: calling it Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe was a bad name as most people won't know what that is and a name like Ninjak vs the World would be better (yes, I know it's a reference to Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe).

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 14, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why would somebody who doesn’t know what he Valiant universe is know who ninjak is or buy a book about him killing the world? That’s not actually a good point.

I don’t know who Tegan O’Neil is but another article they have on TCJ has an excellent line: “I don’t know how to write about comic books anymore”. I feel like that’s all you need to know.

e: Has “Wikipedia says that” become the new “Webster’s dictionary defines” for bad writers?

e2: I see what you’re saying actually but I think it would totally defeats the purpose of putting the company’s line front and center.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 14, 2018

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Covok posted:

(yes, I know it's a reference to Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe).

What? No.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Be on the lookout for Rob Liefeld Kills the Valiant Universe, coming out 2019!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I see we're unfamiliar with the Comics Journal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lightning Lord posted:

I see we're unfamiliar with the Comics Journal.

How so?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Apparently Britannia is being made in to a show. Hadn’t hear much about it but that could be cool.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazon's show of the same name has no connection to Valiant or the comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL, Valiant's social media director has asked me if I want to be "Woody" at a few regional cons this summer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

LoL, Valiant's social media director has asked me if I want to be "Woody" at a few regional cons this summer.

Are you skinny with blonde hair? Or did you do really good Woody cosplay? I'm confused.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

Are you skinny with blonde hair? Or did you do really good Woody cosplay? I'm confused.

Look at my post on the previous page.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Look at my post on the previous page.

That was you? Somehow I never made the connection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

That was you? Somehow I never made the connection.

Yeah, I thought I looked pretty silly but they loved it. They called us up to let us know how much they loved our enthusiasm for the launch of the book. They're gonna send us some autographed copies of #1 to raffle off or something. With the cons they were pretty clear, they can get me into any con the attend as staff but they can't pay for my travel or hotel or anything.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

X-O posted:

Amazon's show of the same name has no connection to Valiant or the comic.

Ok. The article I read was mistaken then.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Going back a couple months, but...

zoux posted:

Lol yeah I've noticed that a lot of Valiant characters have Marvel analogues, though I'd say Bloodshot is more "almost exactly Wolverine" rather than Deadpool.

After reading the Bloodshot Reborn annual from 2016, I retroactively agree with this, only because Jacob is essentially Deadpool merged with Jason Voorhees.

Which is kind of funny to me because many years ago, before they actually had an Ultimate Deadpool, my thoughts were, "Ultimate Deadpool should be a misunderstood Jason Voorhees created by the government."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I somehow read a bunch of Valiant stuff out of order, and was kind of dissappointed Bloodshot wasn't, like, the african american vet guy from that one issue.

Wasn't there a run that was basically Old Man MiddleAged Man LoganBloodshot? With his nanites all out of whack?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

FilthyImp posted:

I somehow read a bunch of Valiant stuff out of order, and was kind of dissappointed Bloodshot wasn't, like, the african american vet guy from that one issue.

Well, he was black for a little bit. They did an origin issue where he was depicted as a black guy prior to the experiment. Around that time, artists started drawing Bloodshot's facial features to reflect that.

It was promptly forgotten about and then the Valiant happened and he was white.

quote:

Wasn't there a run that was basically Old Man MiddleAged Man LoganBloodshot? With his nanites all out of whack?

The Analog Man. It was a story taking place 30 years later that acted as a cross between Old Man Logan and Fury Road. His nanites were fine, but because of the corrupted tech taking over the planet being so much more advanced, Bloodshot was invisible to it. The whole thing turned out to be a false memory.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just saw Rickey Whittle (American Gods, the 100) tweet that he was doing Shadowmoon research and I thought it said Shadowman and I got super fuckin excited for half a minute.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 26, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/958049776502747138

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ooof. That doesn't sound good. Dinesh was the heart of Valiant. Just being a consultant doesn't sound like he'll have any tangible input.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit.

https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/957817150483386370

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What in the?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the Faith. :(

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

“Tell me, do you bleed?

You will”

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

gently caress

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Well, it was a good run.

It is all likely to get lovely, but my controversial opinion is that the last year or so has been less than great. Between teasing about a dozen tv/movie projects, Rafer Roberts A&A/Renegades, Gen Zero, and 'Ninjak Vs', there have been quite a few missteps imo. Maybe it will get better?

Oh who am I kidding, they will make a couple lovely movies, a couple lovely TV shows, everything will underperform, and theyll cut their losses by selling the IP to Disney, where our beloved characters will collect dust for all eternity.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Valiant Comics: I guess Ninjak really did kill the Valiant Universe

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant High bonus chapter: the school is invited to submit a short film to a festival, with the county council paying close attention in order to tweak their budget line for the school. Ninjak convinces everyone to make a cool comic instead, it gets high reviews but isn't a blockbuster movie, so the school's turned into a... uhh... *adjusts glasses* Nintendo 64 game.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

What was this? It's been deleted

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

havok9 posted:

What was this? It's been deleted

It was a post by Dinesh that clearly showed how upset he was over this. It and most negative posts by Valiant staffers have now been deleted.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It was a post by Dinesh that clearly showed how upset he was over this. It and most negative posts by Valiant staffers have now been deleted.

drat.

RIP Valiant 2012-2018?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DMG has made promises that Valiant isn't going anywhere and that the current publishing initiative is staying in place.

Also worth noting that Tina Belcher is now in charge of Valiant.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

DMG has made promises that Valiant isn't going anywhere and that the current publishing initiative is staying in place.

Also worth noting that Tina Belcher is now in charge of Valiant.

Business as usual, but with a lot more characters touching each others butts then

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

havok9 posted:

Business as usual, but with a lot more characters touching each others butts then

I'll allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Should I panic? Because, I really like this universe and I'm worried about it.