Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Filming both back to back was likely important from a contract perspective since it is a fairly large cast and there's such a large lag from end of filming to released episode.

However, this might mean that we won't have an over year wait for season 4, it might premier in Jan or Feb rather than be pushed back to June like the current schedule would push it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, it is bookreader consensus that Miller's little rockhopper buddy (AquaKid) is going to be the first one through the ring, right? :getin:

But...he crush rear end to dust!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Boy I can't wait to see whether they visualize it graphically when it happens, or whether we get an external shot followed by someone checking the aftermath.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Those two posts in succession conjure a wonderful mental image.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

NmareBfly posted:

Those two posts in succession conjure a wonderful mental image.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
:five:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Had a discussion with a friend last night and wanted to raise the question here.
Best bad space cop: Odo vs Girabaldi vs Miller.

If I had an arbitrary amount of money, I would like to hire them to sit around a table in costume and just trade meaningful glances.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Garibaldi for sure.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Odo can turn into a chair, so

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Miller would fit into the B5 universe like a glove. Really, anyone from the Expanse ensemble cast would.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Garibalding > Miller > Odo for sure

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Garibaldi is definitely best vaguely-bad guy space cop. Miller's better at the do-good-in-the-world cop thing.

I feel like Miller and Odo would both be unnerved by Garibaldi's "the right way to deal with crime is to go from electric chairs to electric bleachers" line.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Odo doesn't really get into the discussion since he's not bad or good, he's just obsessively devoted to justice and order. Miller is vaguely corrupt and ends justify the means but is basically a good guy. Garibaldi is a bad person who is trying to be good and sometimes manages it, but is also incorruptible as space cop.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I remember JMS's eulogy for Jerry Doyle was basically "great guy, amazing actor, but absolutely batshit and most of Garibaldi's :stonk:-worthy lines were literally things he said at lunch".

Miller would probably find Garibaldi funny for about three days and then he'd try to get him sectioned.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I don't know their names but the worst space cops are the ones who allowed Black Market to happen

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I don't know their names but the worst space cops are the ones who allowed Black Market to happen

Yeah, but the Black Market music track was rad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Are bad black market episodes just a staple of sf television?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If I had one major complaint about The Expanse it would be how unremarkable the music has been for the most part. The theme is pretty decent but nothing else has really jumped out at me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tighclops posted:

If I had one major complaint about The Expanse it would be how unremarkable the music has been for the most part. The theme is pretty decent but nothing else has really jumped out at me.

I think the order was "write like Bear McCreary, but 15 years ago."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tighclops posted:

The piece from when Miller meets Julie is really good.

I think the order was "write like Bear McCreary, but 15 years ago."

Yeah, it does give me Season 1 Battlestar vibes.

I think the Season 2 soundtrack for Expanse was an improvement but it doesn't seem to be getting a release. Unfortunate.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

R-Type posted:

Miller would fit into the B5 universe like a glove. Really, anyone from the Expanse ensemble cast would.

Fred Johnson being on the Orville always gives me joy.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bubbacub posted:

:vince: I had no idea. That's loving great.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Bubbacub posted:

Cutty being on The Expanse always gives me joy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That dude in the background in a lot of shots of Paddy's Pub being in the Expanse and Orville makes me happy.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm still bummed that they never released the Belter creole version of "Tighten Up" they used in the first episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was the point/significance Bizi Bitiko and the Slingshot club

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was the point/significance Bizi Bitiko and the Slingshot club

Finding out that Bizi was alive meant the other guy was using spoofed ID. Slingshot club is world-building.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Toast Museum posted:

Finding out that Bizi was alive meant the other guy was using spoofed ID. Slingshot club is world-building.

I'm also guessing that set up will have another kind of pay off at the beginning of this season... :smug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No, I knew that I meant what was the club. Did that guy get burned up slinging too close to the atmosphere

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milo and POTUS posted:

No, I knew that I meant what was the club. Did that guy get burned up slinging too close to the atmosphere

I forget the details of the scene (dude burning up rings a bell), but basically the pilots slap together tiny crappy ships without Epstein drives, then use a single starting boost to line up a series of risky gravity assists to hit a target destination at a certain time. It's reckless youth culture in space.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

He died in the space equivalent of slapping a bunch of Chinesium turbochargers from eBay together on a late 90s Civic and attempting to recreate the first Fast and the Furious movie.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just watched the first couple of Altered Carbon, and that's some good gritty hypernoir cyberpunk if you're looking for such. Thread over here.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Just watched the first couple of Altered Carbon, and that's some good gritty hypernoir cyberpunk if you're looking for such. Thread over here.

It's sort of of uneven but I enjoyed it overall. Perfect fix until the next season of The Expanse comes out since they both have similarly bleak settings.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah, the idea is explained more in the books and on the website for the show, I believe.

Essentially, you take a bunch of leftover parts, enough to keep you safe for a few days/weeks, then strap a rocket to it and make one, big burn. You have to get the trajectory just right to slingshot past the different planets/moons, usually trying to beat a fastest time to a place where you would be picked up by a rescue ship or be in a shipping lane. Since everyone is trying to be the fastest, some gently caress up the math or cut too close and burn up in one of the gas giant's atmosphere.

sebmojo posted:

I'm down for pretty much anything with James Purefoy, thanks! :thumbsup:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, the idea is explained more in the books and on the website for the show, I believe.

Essentially, you take a bunch of leftover parts, enough to keep you safe for a few days/weeks, then strap a rocket to it and make one, big burn. You have to get the trajectory just right to slingshot past the different planets/moons, usually trying to beat a fastest time to a place where you would be picked up by a rescue ship or be in a shipping lane. Since everyone is trying to be the fastest, some gently caress up the math or cut too close and burn up in one of the gas giant's atmosphere.

I'm down for pretty much anything with James Purefoy, thanks! :thumbsup:

He's great, as is his donggg

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love John Carter only because it reunited Marc Antony and Caesar from the HBO show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIe5iDLxeI8

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 6, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

sebmojo posted:

He's great, as is his donggg

Yeah he's the best part. Also echoing the uneven sentiment. If you or someone you know likes noir or sci fi it's definitely a recommend but man there were a bunch of eyerolling moments.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah he's the best part. Also echoing the uneven sentiment. If you or someone you know likes noir or sci fi it's definitely a recommend but man there were a bunch of eyerolling moments.

It's the perfect holdover until the next season of the Expanse starts especially since both shows have similar themes.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Season 2 is up on Amazon Prime Video now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I love John Carter only because it reunited Marc Antony and Caesar from the HBO show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIe5iDLxeI8

John Carter is a good movie.

Throw your stones.

• Locked thread