Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

For us, it was a predeployment thing. You would absolutely remember it, it's not a normal injection. They take a tiny needle and poke your shoulder a whole bunch of times in a little circle, maybe 1/2" across. It becomes an oozy disgusting mess that you need to keep covered most of the time because you don't want that poo poo touching anything. Then air it out whenever possible until it scabs over and falls apart, leaving a permanent scar.

Can you tegaderm it or is it too goopy? Never got it but always wondered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Probably could. I don't remember what they gave us to cover it. It was just to keep it from touching (and contiminating) other things. When you were free from that concern you were supposed to air it out as much as possible to speed up the drying out process. Dry scab bits are no longer contagious, I guess.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Viva Miriya posted:

Who the gently caress was their doc?

You mean in regards to teaching Marines not to wash their hands to strengthen their immune system? You've never heard that before? Ask any marine, they teach that as far back as boot camp.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

M_Gargantua posted:

Also two random questions for people who are still in

Where the hell can I buy those black hard plastic post binders they use for reactor plant manuals (I need to make a heavy duty tech pub for archive)

and

We had a "Blue Book" discrepancy log, and i'm trying to figure out if it was a custom printed item or if its in the stock system from some distributor that I can buy one from. It had three blank forms per page, and you'd write down whatever was broken or needed upgrading. Had boxes for initials of the supervisors and routing chain, and another set of boxes so those same people could be routed it when it was fixed for closeout. Even if it was something small. It was a really useful book for keeping track of little things over years that we finally got fixed in shipyard, like "airflow in 9 man berthing is hosed up, but thermostat has been tested and is working just fine" which just needed a new restrictor plate slapped in when they were ripping apart stuff anyway.

I don't know, but I wish there was still a bookbinder rate; I'm tired of ugly green book logs everywhere that change format every two or three pages.

Edit: trying to find evidence and I can't; maybe I made that up in a fever dream

Edit 2: I'm thinking of the Lithographer (LI) rating. I don't really know anything about what they did.

piL fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 29, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

You mean in regards to teaching Marines not to wash their hands to strengthen their immune system? You've never heard that before? Ask any marine, they teach that as far back as boot camp.

Apparently not. Dumbest thing I've ever had a Marine ask me was when I hung out with a few in Oceanside. Made sure they didn't get themselves hosed by the locals for being loud drunks and went back to their section of Pendleton for beers. "Hey doc what's this say" *holds up a box of girl scout cookies.* "They're thin mints Rodriguez." "Oh....what's this say again Doc?" repeated like 6 times over cheap beer. Their corporal gave me a ride back to my area of the base and was pretty chill.

e: I find this unbelievable tbqh, as in I literally do not believe you

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 29, 2018

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Blackchamber posted:

this is made up bullshit. a not inconsiderable part of bootcamp is spent on getting people to clean themselves properly and hand sanitizer is used religiously.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Some folk art nerds in Appalachia and myself are probably the only people interested, but if anybody wants to lateral transfer to Lithographer, build a time machine, complete the following training and contact your command career counselor.

NAVPERS 10452-A
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102152626

Chapter 19 doesn't include "print your PQS in booklet format, open your stapler and use a rubber eraser for the base", but it was a different era less concerned about waste.

Edit: If anybody needs some help studying advanced mathematics for electronics technicians or religions of Vietnam, the following link has hoarded a bunch of post ww2 training manuals:

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=United States%2E Bureau of Naval Personnel

piL fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 29, 2018

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Blackchamber posted:

What the hell are you talking about? That's not a thing Ive ever heard or seen in my 18 years in. If nothing else marines get taught that historically poor hygiene killed more troops than the enemy. They don't usually listen but it's certainly something that's taught.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

gently caress i've been rused

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I can only tell you what I've been told when I asked why. And like, if it was just a handful of Marines loving with me that'd be one thing, but every time I went to the head without fail the Marines walking out of the stalls and shitters would skip the sink.

I was actually talking about this the other day to someone who just got out of the Navy many years removed from when I got out. We originally we're talking about people coming to our workplace sick with the flu and she mentioned it to me like it was something I might not have heard before.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

gently caress i've been rused

Blackchamber posted:

I can only tell you what I've been told when I asked why. And like, if it was just a handful of Marines loving with me that'd be one thing, but every time I went to the head without fail the Marines walking out of the stalls and shitters would skip the sink.

I was actually talking about this the other day to someone who just got out of the Navy many years removed from when I got out. We originally we're talking about people coming to our workplace sick with the flu and she mentioned it to me like it was something I might not have heard before.

you're loving with me/you were hosed with

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ok sure you got it.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

What the hell are you talking about? That's not a thing Ive ever heard or seen in my 18 years in. If nothing else marines get taught that historically poor hygiene killed more troops than the enemy. They don't usually listen but it's certainly something that's taught.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/military/sd-me-mcrd-sickness-20171031-story.html
titled "Hundreds of recruits get sick at Marine boot camp" dated Oct 2017
"While investigators continue searching for the source of the contagion, commanders have quarantined sick recruits from those who have yet to display symptoms, mandated increased hand washing and ensured proper sanitation in all training areas, officials said."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ok and?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ok and

me: marines are bad at hygiene
other people: no they aren't
San Diego Tribune: hundreds with an 'S' recruits sick, told 'hey you need to wash your drat hands more'

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Blackchamber posted:

Ok and

San Diego Tribune: hundreds with an 'S' recruits sick, told 'hey you need to wash your drat hands more'

Teenagers are loving gross.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My office building has these purely dispensers with “wash your hands” signs in the lobby, are you saying accountants, lawyers and that one weird dentist on the third floor never learned to wash their hands?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

Re: Why the hell be a CO-I'm fairly certain the Navy pays you less for being a Commanding Officer than for knowing Russian.

I missed this in a drunken stupor when it was posted, but it's 100% true.

For those curious, Command Pay is a whopping $50 a month.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Blackchamber posted:

Ok and

You were less "Marines are bad at hygiene" and more "Marines are trained specifically to be bad at hygiene." That is not a minor difference.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Lol, that's less than I got for flight deck pay.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ManMythLegend posted:

That’s like one hour of weekday overtime for a third mate fresh out of school on a cargo ship.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

McNally posted:

You were less "Marines are bad at hygiene" and more "Marines are trained specifically to be bad at hygiene." That is not a minor difference.

That and I'm p sure that "hey nerds, for real wash your hands" is one of many measures implemented during any sort of disease outbreak. I'm also p sure blackchamber is trolling.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I figured this was going to end with the dumb joke about hand washing.

Service A member and Service B member are using urinals at the same time. As they get done, A goes to the sink as B heads for the door.
A: "Don't they teach you to wash your hands after using the restroom at *service B training*?"
B: "No, they teach us not to piss on our hands!"

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
My dick is probably cleaner than the sink knob or door handle really.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Laranzu posted:

You should obviously be wiping it all over everything then

Edit: for cleanliness

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

lightpole posted:

You should obviously be wiping it all over everything then

Edit: for cleanliness

That's for dominance and claiming of property.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOs3_bh8UM0

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

Prove it to me.

I’m waiting.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

But hey, sign up to be a mark VI Captain during your shore tour! Normally you'd have to suck half a dick a week to get $50 a month, unless you're in Norfolk.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManMythLegend posted:

But there’s also bonuses, right?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Not explicitly for CO's, no. The SWO bonuses are rank based not role/responsibility based.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Anita Dickinme posted:

VFA command is even weirder because despite being a CDR and getting a bonus you're making less than your LCDR department heads with their bonuses.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You don't pay bonuses for jobs that people want. You pay for jobs nobody wants.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Got accepted into a Corporate Fellowship Program (basically a higher level internship) for service members that are getting out. Got picked up by Philips and today is my first day of civilian work. Now I just need that DD-214...

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Got accepted into a Corporate Fellowship Program (basically a higher level internship) for service members that are getting out. Got picked up by Philips and today is my first day of civilian work. Now I just need that DD-214...

Congrats!

Always get out, haha.

SeismicTriangle
Nov 5, 2012

Godholio posted:

my classmates 10k bonus for enlisting as reserve ctn begs to differ

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SeismicTriangle posted:

my classmates 10k bonus for enlisting as reserve ctn begs to differ

See how he feels halfway through that term. The bonus is there for a reason.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

Aegis FCs have some of the best jobs in the fleet and get bonuses...

Like in the case of FCA the bonuses are there to keep people from leaving.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, it's the same reason the AF is dangling almost half a million dollars in front of fighter pilots when their initial commitment is up (unsuccessfully). I didn't say it was only for recruiting. :confused:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Found this document near where my Marines were standing guard.

Still trying to decode it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Found this document near where my Marines were standing guard.

Still trying to decode it.

:patriot: