Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, the Empoleon deck looks very... not very good. Empoleon itself seems great but the rest of it kinda blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Matsuri posted:

Wow, the Empoleon deck looks very... not very good. Empoleon itself seems great but the rest of it kinda blows.
I think the best way to do the 2-for-1 would be a stall-with-Floatzel strategy? Maybe. It's not a great deck, but it has some good cards in it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

I think the best way to do the 2-for-1 would be a stall-with-Floatzel strategy? Maybe. It's not a great deck, but it has some good cards in it.

I'm fine with it anyway. I'll get the Garchomp deck and then I'll have like 700 coins to mess with. Should I still be hunting Tapu Leles, or is there a big card to chase in Ultra Prism?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

I'm fine with it anyway. I'll get the Garchomp deck and then I'll have like 700 coins to mess with. Should I still be hunting Tapu Leles, or is there a big card to chase in Ultra Prism?
Tapu Lele is still like a $50 card. Full-art Cynthias are gonna be worth a lot in a while, especially once Sycamore rotates out of standard, but there's a regular version of that, while Lele is one of the most expensive singles in the game right now (not counting collectors' items).

Edit: Get two of the Garchomp deck, one isn't really enough to do what it wants to do.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Tapu Lele is still like a $50 card. Full-art Cynthias are gonna be worth a lot in a while, especially once Sycamore rotates out of standard, but there's a regular version of that, while Lele is one of the most expensive singles in the game right now (not counting collectors' items).

Edit: Get two of the Garchomp deck, one isn't really enough to do what it wants to do.

Oh, right; for building it into a Standard deck, right? I can run with that, maybe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Oh, right; for building it into a Standard deck, right? I can run with that, maybe.
Yeah, I actually did a how-to for a basic beginner deck from it on the bottom of the previous page. Throwing a Tapu Lele in there would be a spectacular way to beef it up, too, since you could just search out a Cynthia from an Ultra Ball.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, I actually did a how-to for a basic beginner deck from it on the bottom of the previous page. Throwing a Tapu Lele in there would be a spectacular way to beef it up, too, since you could just search out a Cynthia from an Ultra Ball.

Yeah I saw it, I just didn't really think too much about actually doing it because I only had enough coins for 2 decks and wanted to get both new ones. Now that I know that the Empoleon one kinda sucks, I can now.

I reeeeeeally just don't feel like playing anything outside of Theme right now because Tapu Lele is just too drat broken and decks without it are underperforming. And paying actual money for virtual cards just makes my skin crawl a bit these days.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fair. Garchomp should do well in Theme format.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah your first priority after having a stable deck you like playing is getting 2-3 Tapu Lele. They're game changers. Not quite as broken as some people seem to think, just very useful, so you're going to want to chase some.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So, any of y’all willing to trade your leles for up packs?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Zodack posted:

Not quite as broken as some people seem to think, just very useful, so you're going to want to chase some.

I respectfully disagree. Being able to tutor up any supporter on the fly means you pretty much have access to any card in your deck, making it never a dead card, and it also has a decent body, no weakness, and a cheap double colorless attack, which makes it universally useful in any deck, which is why almost every competitive deck uses it. That's pretty busted in my eyes.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 30, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The last Pokemon to have that ability was Jirachi, who had crap HP, a crappy attack, and it still saw a hell of a lot of play. Using Lele is pure practicality, because it is busted as poo poo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Out of curiosity. Is running a deck that's pretty much all Dark Energy and 4 Guzzlord-GX with some stretchers, elixirs, and dark patches for reusing resources a valid deck? Because it sounds totally stupid if it is and I want to do it. I mean yeah, you're probably going to mulligan 20+ times, but who cares when you can hit for 180 on turn 2?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

That deck used to exist and was called Speedquaza.... It probably won't work in higher level play but will be loads of fun to run bs rando matches with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You'll also want some Choice Bands and a couple supporters (Pokemon Fan Club Member is a good budget replacement for Bridgette, and you'll want a couple Acerola and Guzma), but yeah, should be hilarious for casual play.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's... not working out as fun as it sounded. Way too many "damage based on energy attached" attacks, haha. Also, slow-rolling Volcanion decks are such a pain in the rear end. We get it, you wanna cycle through like 6 energy per turn.

Deck's definitely funny when it goes off though. Guzma'ing into a weakened GX and using Guzzlord's GX move to get 4 prizes is kind of hilarious.

Also, I pulled a Buzzwole-GX from a pack and see that people are trading quite valuable things for it. Is it really that good?

EDIT: Decklist so far. Suggestions?

4 Guzzlord-GX
2 Max Elixir
3 Guzma
3 Pokemon Fan Club
4 Choice Band
2 Wishful Baton
42 Dark Energy

I can very consistently use Tyrannical Hole on turn 2, but it's amazing how fragile a 210 HP dude can be, especially against energy-matters attacks and Lycanroc-GX just kinda laughs at me. Also, the deck simply crumples to any anti-GX strategies (Hoopa, Alolan Ninetales, etc). Trying to figure out ways around that.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 31, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fighting Fury Belt would give you a -20 drop in damage, but +40 HP. And I forget if it's still in Standard, but Hex Maniac can help with Hoopa.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I applied to be a judge for the game and they sent me the background check info today, I’m feeling good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Fighting Fury Belt would give you a -20 drop in damage, but +40 HP. And I forget if it's still in Standard, but Hex Maniac can help with Hoopa.

Unfortunately, Hex Maniac doesn't seem to be in Standard. Is there another way around it? I am considering Garbotoxin but it sounds super inconsistent.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, here's a goofy idea. Add a couple Ninja Boy, and one Shining Lugia. Shining Lugia's 3 energy attack is a guaranteed KO on both Hoopa and Ninetales.

Edit: Wait, gently caress, that's a $30 card, hang on, lemme find a budget option.

Edit2: Oh, wait, duh, add one Oranguru and/or one Guardians Rising Rayquaza (the one with Turbo Storm). Both will be useful for your deck no matter what, and both use colorless energy and can two-shot Hoopa/Ninetales. If they're charged up with enough energy to attack, Oranguru can actually one-shot them.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 1, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, here's a goofy idea. Add a couple Ninja Boy, and one Shining Lugia. Shining Lugia's 3 energy attack is a guaranteed KO on both Hoopa and Ninetales.

Edit: Wait, gently caress, that's a $30 card, hang on, lemme find a budget option.

Edit2: Oh, wait, duh, add one Oranguru and/or one Guardians Rising Rayquaza (the one with Turbo Storm). Both will be useful for your deck no matter what, and both use colorless energy and can two-shot Hoopa/Ninetales. If they're charged up with enough energy to attack, Oranguru can actually one-shot them.

Shining Lugia isn't $30; it's like $5 on average on TCGplayer at least; trade values seem to be somewhat similar. Oranguru seems to be a great option too, might run one of that and Lugia or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Shining Lugia isn't $30; it's like $5 on average on TCGplayer at least; trade values seem to be somewhat similar. Oranguru seems to be a great option too, might run one of that and Lugia or something.
Okay, yeah, that looks more reasonable. Oranguru is spectacular, and super cheap since it also comes in one of the theme decks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, yeah, that looks more reasonable. Oranguru is spectacular, and super cheap since it also comes in one of the theme decks.

I have a few Oranguru, yeah. I'll pop a couple in my deck (and maybe some Nest Balls to grab Guzzlord with in case I don't draw it) and give that a go. Gotta get some Ninja Boys first. Think 2 should be okay?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, 2's probably plenty. Enough to make having both of them be prized extraordinarily unlikely.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Garchomp theme deck is pretty cool. May be digging it more than the Hydreigon one for multiple reasons.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Garchomp theme deck is pretty cool. May be digging it more than the Hydreigon one for multiple reasons.
It's an incredibly solid deck, and I foresee it absolutely dominating Theme format for a good while.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

It's an incredibly solid deck, and I foresee it absolutely dominating Theme format for a good while.

Yeah, I noticed that. Get ready to play nothing but mirror matches until the next set. A shame there's no good deck out there that shits on it enough to keep it from being unstoppable. (Weaknesses are nice and varied, and the only Fairy deck I've seen in the shop so far is that lovely Sylveon one that I tripped over myself to buy when it was in there, because Sylveon.) So Garchomp's biggest weakness is... Garchomp. Whatever can kill it before it kills you.

EDIT:

Almost got Guzzlord to a 1st place win. gently caress Volcanion decks and the durdly fucks that play them.

EDIT 2: I have got my hands on a Darkrai Prism Star for the deck. Seems like a fantastic counter to a bunch of cards, and it takes advantage of the ton of dark energy I'll have in my hand.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 3, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I have not played this game since I was like, eight, so I picked up the Sun and Moon trainer kit and
  1. Boy howdy this game hasn't changed in eight odd years.
  2. Boy howdy the trainer kits suck. As someone with only a vague idea of what a "good" deck looks like from Netrunner and MTG, the idea of smashing these two half-decks together into an unfocused mess is not a good one.
I'm probably gonna pick up the theme decks and play casually with my brother. Is there any point to redeeming the trainer kit online or is everything in there garbage?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Double Post: I got bored at lunch, here's the Garchomp one now.

Mach 2
(Assembled using only two Mach Strike theme decks)

Pokemon (18)
4x Gible
4x Gabite
4x Garchomp
2x Riolu
2x Lucario
2x Spiritomb
Garchomp is the core of your deck. Lucario is great as well, letting you get the things you need. Spiritomb can stall or fetch your Cynthia back.

Trainers (28)
4x Cynthia
4x Hau
4x Professor Kukui

2x Big Malasada
2x Escape Board
4x Nest Ball
2x Pal Pad
2x Rescue Stretcher
4x Timer Ball

Your lack of other supporters hurts, but Cynthia is great and Kukui is solid, too, so they'll make due.

Pal Pad, Escape Board, Rescue Stretcher, and Big Malasada are just good cards, no excuses needed there. Nest Ball is pure filler, but at least it gets itself out of your deck easily. Timer Ball can be great or hot garbage, depending on your luck, but it's better than nothing.

Energy (14)
14x Fighting Energy

Without any ways to search out or recover Energy, I leaned a little heavy on it.

And there's a totally playable pile, no singles shopping needed. But what if you want to?

Adding Budget Staples

This is a relatively solid deck, but it could be shored up a lot very easily. Adding only cards that you can probably get from people just having them lying around or from shops with bulk singles, (only cards that cost less than $1 each and worthwhile in many decks), get your hands on...

2x Choice Band
3x Field Blower
2x N (Supporter)
2x Professor Sycamore
2x Professor's Letter
4x Rare Candy
4x Ultra Ball
4x Double Colorless Energy

Add those in, and remove...

-3 Gabite
-4 Hau
-‎2 Professor Kukui
-‎4 Nest Ball
-‎4 Timer Ball
-‎6 Fighting Energy

Rare Candy will be much faster than raw Gabite most of the time. Keeping 1 because of the evolution attack is probably enough, though I could see pulling an energy for a second one. N and Sycamore are in just about every deck, though they'll both be rotating out in September. Choice Band will let you hit EX and GX Pokemon much harder, and those are usually the ones that will be surviving a 200 damage Garchomp hit. Field Blower gets rid of Stadiums and Tools, another staple. And with Double Colorless Energy, you can have a Garchomp ready to swing in two turns.

It's not a perfect deck, there's lots of little 1-ofs I want to recommend, but for something you put together for like $30, it'll be drat solid, both as a deck and as a teaching tool.

Finally got around to making this (almost, at least; I still need some Rare Candies). What are the 1-ofs you'd like to suggest?

Also, would putting some Guzma in be good? I also have a Buzzwole (and some Strong Energy) that would seem rather welcome in the deck too, but I worry it may screw up consistency on energy for Garchomp...

EDIT: dude this deck is pretty sick. Spiritomb is kind of a sleeper in the deck-- it is loving hilarious against decks that run basic EX and GX pokemon. It just walls them! Also, cycling Cynthias is also very consistent when done right too. I found myself almost always having her in hand.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 4, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Normally, Guzma is an all-star, and you could probably get away with 1, but using him means not using Cynthia, and Garchomp can already hit the bench for 50.

Buzzwole makes a good one of, though!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Normally, Guzma is an all-star, and you could probably get away with 1, but using him means not using Cynthia, and Garchomp can already hit the bench for 50.

Buzzwole makes a good one of, though!

I'll pop him in and give him a try.

Some analyses so far:

-Spiritomb is fantastic when he's needed, and absolute garbage when he's not. More often than not, I use it when I'm stalling and that's about it. I'll probably drop down to a 1-of and replace the other with Buzzwole.
-Recurring Garchomp is super cool! I got a sad face from my opponent when he KO'd Garchomp, only for me to Stretcher it back to my hand and Rare Candy it onto a prepared Gible.
-Not being able to recur energy, not so cool. Wouldn't hurt to pop in some Energy Retrievals. I actually faced someone who had made a competitive deck with the Empoleon precon and we both ran out of energy. Since I couldn't attack and his last 2 energy were the last 2 cards of his deck, I won by letting him mill himself out. Would have just been easier to be able to grab some energies back to re-use.
-I have had multiple occasions where Lucario would have been AMAZING had he been able to squeak out a little more damage. All the more reason to run some Strong energy?
-Escape Board is so drat cool. Pop it on Lucario and swapping between him and Garchomp is so easy. It makes Switch look like a bad card.
-The deck feels not only offensively strong, but it has a lot of staying power too in a lot of occasions. It helps that Garchomp feels like he's got GX-level power on a regular-level card. It's so satisfying to drop Leles with him, and the best part is that your opponent only gets one prize for dropping him.

EDIT:
-1 Spiritomb
-2 Big Malasada
-1 Field Blower
-1 Ultra Ball

+1 Buzzwole-GX
+2 Energy Retrieval
+2 Strong Energy

How does that look? I'm not so sure about dropping the Ultra Ball or the Malasadas, but I don't think I needed 3 Blowers.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 4, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd keep the Ultra Ball and find something else to drop. Honestly, maybe the other Spiritomb. If budget allows, its spot can eventually be filled by a Tapu Lele GX, but in the mean time, using something else is fine.

Edit: Maybe drop the Ns?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd keep the Ultra Ball and find something else to drop. Honestly, maybe the other Spiritomb. If budget allows, its spot can eventually be filled by a Tapu Lele GX, but in the mean time, using something else is fine.

Edit: Maybe drop the Ns?

I'm not so sure about dropping Ns. I'll try it.

Tapu Lele GX is still way not in my budget, but I'm going to make an honest attempt to stock up on Ultra Prism packs until I can trade for one. Most decks can get by with 2, right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You can get by on one, but two is better. No rush on the second, or even the first. But being able to turn an Ultra Ball into a Cynthia is incredibly useful.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

I am the best at playing the Mach Strike deck (because everyone else is playing it too).

Also, did some trading:
Secret Rare Counter Energy -> Gardevoir-GX (regular)

Then I saw a listing for a Gardevoir-GX for 4 Shining Legends packs, so I went and snagged some of those and 6 Ultra Prism for good measure and because why not, my birthday is this week (why not treat myself a little), and managed to grab it at 0h 0m.

Then I checked for available trades and saw a Secret Rare Gardevoir-GX for 7 Ultra Prism packs. I had just won some, so I had more than 7. I could have got a regular Gardevoir-GX, but why not. Gardevoir is my all time favorite Pokemon, so I'd love to play it in a deck. Hopefully Gardevoir-GX isn't rotating out anytime soon.

Then I decided, what the hell, why not open both Ultra Prism packs I had left...They both had Full Art Dusk Mane Necrozma-GXs in them.

Today is a good day.

EDIT: Traded one of the full-art Dusk Mane Necrozma-GXs for a regular-art Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX, Cyrus Prism, and Solgaleo Prism. This means I now have all the Prism cards, and there's no point in having more than one ever anyway. Cool. I'm not too picky about art anyway.

(I may just end up making that Dusk Mane Necrozma/Dialga GX with Magnezone deck. All I really need now are Tapu Lele-GXs. Same for Gardevoir-GX.)

Framboise fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 6, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like playing Pokémon cards and all but I think I'm going to let go of these cards. I'm the type of person that prefers being able to play with a competitive crowd and I feel like an rear end in a top hat for beating up on a more casual group of people. It also turns out the guy that runs the store I play Pokémon and Magic at is a scumbag that uses player information from people not participating in events that night to inflate his number of tournament participants. I know that with Magic, Wizards allows for more product allotment and better deals if a store can gather bigger crowds for events, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pokémon Company does the same.

What a shag :(

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

I like playing Pokémon cards and all but I think I'm going to let go of these cards. I'm the type of person that prefers being able to play with a competitive crowd and I feel like an rear end in a top hat for beating up on a more casual group of people. It also turns out the guy that runs the store I play Pokémon and Magic at is a scumbag that uses player information from people not participating in events that night to inflate his number of tournament participants. I know that with Magic, Wizards allows for more product allotment and better deals if a store can gather bigger crowds for events, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pokémon Company does the same.

What a shag :(

I saw you mention that in the Magic thread. gently caress that, man, it'd make me want to bow out too.

I'd like to play Pokemon on paper, but is it weird that I don't really feel like investing the money into it when I'll happily do that and then some for Magic, even though I don't go out to play as often as I used to? That, and I've seen the crowd for Pokemon games at my LGSs-- a lot of them are kids and I don't really feel right being my Spike-y self and stomping them with high tier decks.

Maybe sell your cards and use some of that money to come build decks online and play? It's obviously not quite the same, but I have a hell of a lot more fun playing PCTGO than I do MTGO.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

I saw you mention that in the Magic thread. gently caress that, man, it'd make me want to bow out too.

I'd like to play Pokemon on paper, but is it weird that I don't really feel like investing the money into it when I'll happily do that and then some for Magic, even though I don't go out to play as often as I used to? That, and I've seen the crowd for Pokemon games at my LGSs-- a lot of them are kids and I don't really feel right being my Spike-y self and stomping them with high tier decks.

Maybe sell your cards and use some of that money to come build decks online and play? It's obviously not quite the same, but I have a hell of a lot more fun playing PCTGO than I do MTGO.

I'm probably just going to send them in to Cool Stuff Inc. and trade them in for expensive Modern staples that I want. I already did that with a bunch of Standard cards I had in Magic right before Iconic Masters released in November.

I don't have anything against the online version of the Pokémon TCG, but it seems to be a bit more of a hassle to sell a collection if I ever needed to compared to MTGO.

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

Star Man posted:

I don't have anything against the online version of the Pokémon TCG, but it seems to be a bit more of a hassle to sell a collection if I ever needed to compared to MTGO.

I dunno about "hassle". It's probably not even worth selling a PTCGO collection for real-life money considering how everything is so devalued dollar-wise in PTCGO.

PTCGO is pretty much free-to-play with how ridiculously cheap code cards are and how ridiculously easy it is to trade baron your way from 1 pack to 100. Like, a $4 IRL TCG pack comes with a code card for PTCGO that gets sold for a literal 25 cents.

You bulk buy some 70 code cards for $20 and you can build yourself a legit tier1 Standard deck. Or if you don't even want to spend that, win a theme deck tournament to get unlocked packs and start trade-baroning, get you that same tier 1 Standard deck in a week. It is so easy to trade baron in this game (it could be easier, the UI is sometimes a struggle) that I don't even enter tournaments anymore. Why spend 30 minutes playing at a chance to win a few packs when I can make that same amount in minutes just trading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

DarciisFyer posted:

I dunno about "hassle". It's probably not even worth selling a PTCGO collection for real-life money considering how everything is so devalued dollar-wise in PTCGO.

PTCGO is pretty much free-to-play with how ridiculously cheap code cards are and how ridiculously easy it is to trade baron your way from 1 pack to 100. Like, a $4 IRL TCG pack comes with a code card for PTCGO that gets sold for a literal 25 cents.

You bulk buy some 70 code cards for $20 and you can build yourself a legit tier1 Standard deck. Or if you don't even want to spend that, win a theme deck tournament to get unlocked packs and start trade-baroning, get you that same tier 1 Standard deck in a week. It is so easy to trade baron in this game (it could be easier, the UI is sometimes a struggle) that I don't even enter tournaments anymore. Why spend 30 minutes playing at a chance to win a few packs when I can make that same amount in minutes just trading?

Where are you buying code cards for 25 cents? Most relevant packs (read: the ones people are making trades with, most often) are $1+. It's pretty much a pack-per-dollar ratio from what I've been seeing.

• Locked thread