Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wish the Precursor stuff was done better. Either cut the number of required systems in half so it's more likely to be accomplished, or make it a grand part of the game with a massive role similar to the role Protheans played in Mass Effect.

Eiba posted:

I don't know how easy it would be to set up, but it might be nice if you had a way of getting the equivalent of a precursor artifact from a fallen empire you had good relations with, or did some task for. Like they would say "Ah yes, the old [precursor], we interacted with them in an ideologically appropriate way." It would give a bit of flavor to the fallen empires too.

The mad machine fallen empire's interaction with the Contingency is fantastic and the game could use more of that to spruce up fallen empires, which are conceptually the coolest god drat things but in practice kinda meh.
Trading for artefacts in general could be cool. Ramp the number up dramatically but allow players to trade with other empires for their artefact data. AI empires could "cheat" and just get given a precursor mcguffin every few decades to trade away. The enclaves could also have purchasable knowledge. Make finishing the chain a much bigger deal, with cybrex-level rewards and possibly a mid-game crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wish the Precursor stuff was done better. Either cut the number of required systems in half so it's more likely to be accomplished, or make it a grand part of the game with a massive role similar to the role Protheans played in Mass Effect.

Maybe something like "Search four of these six systems" would be better - it sucks when there's just one system you can't get to so an otherwise simple quest goes unfulfilled for years.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Theoretically, you could have an ai watching and judging the game as its going on, and occasionally send you History of the Galaxy events that pick out the mood of recent times.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Purifiers arn't at perma-war, but they don't need to manufacture a Casus Belli - they can just go "Today is a good day to purify" and declare war. IIRC, the flip side is that anyone else can declare war on them at will as well.

I imagine your main protection against being attacked is fear, possibly of a battle station.

The new Barbaric Despoilers can also declare war as they pleases.

Isnit it more than just being able to declare war at will and Purifiers also just straight up own every system they conquer , but also lose any system liberated. Purifier Wars don't need claims from any side, it's a giant free for all once it's declared.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 30, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Isnit it more than just being able to declare war at will and Purifiers also just straight up own every system they conquer , but also lose any system liberated. Purifier Wars don't need claims from any side, it's a giant free for all once it's declared.

I wonder if you'll still be able to white peace out at least.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Does anyone know if you'll be able to join someone else's war in 2.0?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Theoretically, you could have an ai watching and judging the game as its going on, and occasionally send you History of the Galaxy events that pick out the mood of recent times.

I was thinking that myself. It'd be cool to see historical events from the perspective of the different empires. An empire declaring war on another would probably be recorded by history differently for the two empires (Human War of Aggression, Defensive War of 2256 etc.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ConfusedUs posted:

Always click the little camera icon to take you to the system. Every time I do this, I get the anomaly to investigate. Every time I don't, I don't.

This isn't universal, sine you started posting about this I've been thinking about it when I get a popup and it doesn't apply in my games.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splicer posted:

Trading for artefacts in general could be cool. Ramp the number up dramatically but allow players to trade with other empires for their artefact data. AI empires could "cheat" and just get given a precursor mcguffin every few decades to trade away. The enclaves could also have purchasable knowledge. Make finishing the chain a much bigger deal, with cybrex-level rewards and possibly a mid-game crisis.

Artifacts providing a minor empire-wide bonus would be kind of cool. I also would love to see the same for derelict ships; either you add them to your fleet or you get a "derelict ship" modifier which acts as a source of research.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ringworlds have four segments, and when each is built it spawns a habitable piece and two decorative pieces ("seam" and "tech"). Each piece is 1/12 of a circle.
I made a mod that gives ringworlds 12 individually-buildable segments, which spawn only a single habitable piece each.

Under construction, it's seamless, but when each segment finishes building, the newly-spawned habitable pieces appear to do some sort of location snap, and so the ring is broken.

gently caress.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What could also be fun is to make it so that there is more interaction with the precursor events. For example a determined exterminator empire could be inspired by what the Cybrex tried to achieve or could come to question just what it is they have set out to do.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

wiegieman posted:

Some kind of civic that makes them better at salvaging wrecks

I tried to do this for a mod but could never figure out how to interact with the salvage system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I guess what we're all saying is we'd pay money for a fully fleshed out precursor story pack.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Good model for the kind of thing we're talking about would be Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep. The basic kick-off to the story is human spacefarers try to take advantage of the ruins of an incredibly advanced (we're talking post-singularity godlike) alien civilization and get taken over by a sealed-off superintelligent infective weapon or some poo poo. The idea here is that the precursor chains aren't just a frustrating collectathon race for a semi-valuable reward. Finishing them can create major changes in galactic politics or even spawn mid-game crises.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
An ideal Kushan custom civic would be one that allows them to steal an enemy cruiser or battleship that would otherwise be destroyed for every five corvettes of their own that survive the battle. It's the only way to replicate the kleptomania of the single-player campaign faithfully, I feel.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

Sajuuk is mentioned for the first time in the Homeworld 1 manual in reference to the religious beliefs of the Gaalsien, who up until the planet was destroyed were still living in the desert, fighting military expeditions and trying to sabotage the launch of the mothership. It implies that the only difference in religious belief at the time of the mothership's launch is whether Sajuuk was an absent god or had trapped them on the planet as punishment.

The manual also calls the hyperspace module in the Khar-Toba "the solid state hyperspace induction module." They describe the mothership's module as having two parts, the solid state core, and the actual power and control systems. The description is that "although the core of the device is entirely solid state, the power and control systems that embed it are the most complex devices ever built. Only the upper part of a hemisphere can still be seen bulging above the surrounding construction." They also mention that "because the device was reverse engineered, the exact workings of the module are still very uncertain. All that our scientists know about the effects of hyperspace transport has been derived from limited empirical data -theoretical data is almost totally nonexistent."

The entire product is always referred to as a hyperspace module, the solid state component is always called a core, while the machinery that controls and powers it is always called a device. They were able to reverse engineer the device, but they aren't sure how the module works. The core of the device is a solid state core, but they did build the rest of the systems.

This is an interesting distinction, because at the time Homeworld 1 had shipped the plot for Homeworld: Empire (which became Homeworld 2) was already being written. Empire/Dust Wars have various scripts floating around the internet. The earliest one I've seen, dated just a few months after the first game shipped in 99, says this:

So, there's pretty good precedent that the concepts in Homeworld 2 (Karen is space jesus, the mothership's hyperspace module's core is the same one found in the Khar-Toba) were around just a few months after HW1's release, and they probably kept the writing in the manual incredibly vague because the second game's plot wasn't locked in yet. Or, the Dust Wars document could be a hoax, but I find that pretty unlikely because it's in a PDF format that was outdated by the time that Homeworld 2 was actually released.

Yeah, I just didn't like the shift in the tone or focus of the story. I felt like I would if season 3 of The Expanse was written like the Last Star Wars movie - complete with all the focus on messiahs and (more) obvious magic technology along with a much less polished plot.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

GunnerJ posted:

Good model for the kind of thing we're talking about would be Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep. The basic kick-off to the story is human spacefarers try to take advantage of the ruins of an incredibly advanced (we're talking post-singularity godlike) alien civilization and get taken over by a sealed-off superintelligent infective weapon or some poo poo. The idea here is that the precursor chains aren't just a frustrating collectathon race for a semi-valuable reward. Finishing them can create major changes in galactic politics or even spawn mid-game crises.

Yep, good book and always comes to mind as something that would be interesting to see in Stellaris as a mid/late game crisis.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I am totally going to try to make a starting option where you start in a system with no node connections and a guaranteed wormhole. Should be a Gateway for going full Ghosts of Creuss, but you can't gateway into enemy territory, so you could just get locked in and that's bad gameplay.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This isn't universal, sine you started posting about this I've been thinking about it when I get a popup and it doesn't apply in my games.

It always works for me too. Are there any mods you're running that might change events?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

binge crotching posted:

It always works for me too. Are there any mods you're running that might change events?

I believe it was true for all the games I've played recently (no mods, just interface mods, several mods including Guilli's events).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's really interesting. I tested it again last night; got a precursor pop-up. Clicked the "we should investigate this" bar out of habit, then manually went to the system. No anomaly, even if I selected a science ship. Later, got another precursor pop-up. Clicked the camera, was taken straight to anomaly.

I have no idea why it seems to work that way, but I got the tip from someone else on Reddit.

I play modless 99% of the time. My current run is with a Paperclip maximizer mod, but it's the only one currently installed.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've gotten popups that don't even list a planet before on modless runs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Once when I clicked the little camera button it zoomed me to the galactic core.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Warbadger posted:

Yeah, I just didn't like the shift in the tone or focus of the story. I felt like I would if season 3 of The Expanse was written like the Last Star Wars movie - complete with all the focus on messiahs and (more) obvious magic technology along with a much less polished plot.

The shift in focus, tone and plot is because of publisher fuckery. At the time, Relic was an independent game studio, but Sierra owned the rights to the IP. Relic began developing HW2 in 99 and the game was announced in early 2001 with a projected release date of 2002, but it was killed by Sierra about two months after the announcement. As far as I know it was in development hell until early 2002, at which point Relic gave them a 2003 deadline. Their four year project ended up being more of a 16 month project.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

PiCroft posted:

I'm pumped for Apocalypse. I hope they have some good variety of choice for megamurder weapons.

I just want the ability to say "Good. Deploy the Dessicator"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDB2mgT5qfc
Same, but the ability to say HALT THE FLOW OF TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f77k9XeM7V8

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

I seem to recall Banks had proper Ringworlds, called Rings, but now that you mention it, I don't think we ever see one except listed as a casualty of the Idiran-Culture War.

I thought the one that got blown up in that war was just a ring shaped habitat?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The orbital got blown up in the story but there is a mention of 2 rings and a couple of dyson spheres getting destroyed in the summary of the war bit at the end.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

The one in the text is an orbital, the appendix refers to a ring in the list of casualties (see http://theculture.wikia.com/wiki/Idiran-Culture_War )

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

it would be really cool if there was a way to terraform a planet from the expansion planner directly, without having to go to each system and click on the planet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

sudo rm -rf posted:

it would be really cool if there was a way to terraform a planet from the expansion planner directly, without having to go to each system and click on the planet.

Hell I'd be happy if sectors would terraform planets, give them something to spend those mountains of energy on.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I found it. I found peak WHY GAME COST MONEY

:psyduck:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 31, 2018

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

turn off the TV posted:

He's kinda right. It's all done with computers right? Why can't Paradox be more like Twitter? They don't even make a profit.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

fspades posted:

He's kinda right. It's all done with computers right? Why can't Paradox be more like Twitter? They don't even make a profit.

Twitter exists because investors are convinced that it will, eventually, make money, despite the fact that it does not. It is one of life's greatest mysteries.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
These are usually the same people shelling $60 to ea and activision for the yearly installment of battle of duty, and they don't see how that's the exact same poo poo, except 3 times more expensive and with less content, because it isn't billed as dlc.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Paradox should learn to manage their finances and have a successful business while not selling any products, jeez wiz what's wrong with you

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

turn off the TV posted:

I mean...... yes? If under capitalism your customers don't buy more you're going to go under? :psyduck:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

These are usually the same people shelling $60 to ea and activision for the yearly installment of battle of duty, and they don't see how that's the exact same poo poo, except 3 times more expensive and with less content, because it isn't billed as dlc.

Thank you for this post. I feel like enough people don’t realize this.

Also whatever company makes Asses Creed.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

1stGear posted:

Paradox should learn to manage their finances and have a successful business while not selling any products, jeez wiz what's wrong with you

wiz when will you finally transcend your flesh and body, and stop bothering us with trifling matters of money?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of all the shite in gaming to complain about a company that releases regular updates and expansions for their products really doesn't seem like one of them. Far better that than releasing the same thing with a few cosmetic changes every year.

But really though Paradox you need to get on building that dyson sphere and turning the solar system into development megacomplex one, it's much more efficient than trying to get money by selling things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

turn off the TV posted:

I hope this guy gets equally mad at the drive thru when asked if he wants fries with that

• Locked thread