Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

orange sky posted:

Love to have my currency swing hundreds of dollars wildly in a few minutes

It’s basically like using silver bullion as your currency. Week to week swings of 10% are the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Paul Krugman posted:

they're confusing technology with monetary economics.
"I know jackshit about technology, now listen to my opinion on this new technology cryptocurrency!"

art

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Lote posted:

This news was coming. I don’t really see why people are so gung ho about holding. Even true believers can see that there’s not going to be much good news on the horizon. So why not sell now and rebuy lower?

The answer to this for bag holders is that if they have a lot of profit on paper they still won't sell because they don't think things will get as cheap as when they originally bought in.

So in their minds it isn't selling something you bought for ten cents at a dollar and making 90 cents profit per coin. It's having to potentially buy the coins again at 20 or 30 cents to rebuild the same position and why bother since you got them at ten cents. If you cash out your profit and rebuy then 20-30 cents means you have less than half the coins you originally did for when they go to $10 per coin.

It's ignoring real acquired profits for the potential for more future profits regardless of how bad the market seems. "True Believer" behavior basically since it's lunacy.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 30, 2018

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Siamang posted:

Gdax is strangely relaxing to watch for a couple of minutes at a time.

Holy poo poo you're right, I was watching it for a few moments and all of a sudden the entire screen is red and it fell from $10040 to like $9970.

It's like a lava lamp of broken dreams :allears:

https://www.gdax.com/trade/BTC-USD

*edit: And then it stopped? "partially degraded service" wtf?

*edit2: this is super cool. There's a huge buywall at $9950 being eaten up right now

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Why isn't that Tether CEO in Honduras or some eastern bloc state by now? Gonna be hard to run now.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

orange sky posted:

here we go, it's crashing

Nephzinho posted:

Watching BTC ticker in real time is hysterical, blowing through large volume at pretty much every round number.

orange sky posted:

watching it in real time in gdax is hilarious

https://www.gdax.com/trade/BTC-USD

Ummmm were you guys imagining things or...

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
it's under 9.9 right now start a timer

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It went down a shitload really fast but then they brought it back up again

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Ham Sandwiches posted:

9,855.01 USD Last trade price
-11.90% 24 hour price

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

dang.

What is it Sean Hannity likes to say? "Tick tock"

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
9895.. oh poo poo I may have hosed up lol. Starts clock for 60 minutes

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Burt Sexual posted:

Why isn't that Tether CEO in Honduras or some eastern bloc state by now? Gonna be hard to run now.

The Tether CEO was outed in leaked paradise papers and has been running offshore scams all his life. He's not getting caught in the U.S. when there are actual criminal charges, he's not a dumbass. Investigations take a lot of time.

True believers though somehow think he's qualified to back their dreams with billions of USD.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Moxxis Endowment posted:

9895.. oh poo poo I may have hosed up lol. Starts clock for 60 minutes

i agree, twitch user fenrue. today is a good day to die.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Transactions of tenth/whole coins selling it down with sales of thousandths trying to float it up, not hard to see which way momentum is heading.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rad Russian posted:

The Tether CEO was outed in leaked paradise papers and has been running scams all his life. He's not getting caught in the U.S. when there are actual criminal charges, he's not a dumbass. True believers though somehow think he's qualified to back their dreams with billions of USD.

So he's just gonna blow off the subpoena? And continue operating?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

QuarkJets posted:

This is the kind of post I was referring to the other day when I said that the real hardcore bitcoin evangelists seem to actually just hate everyone else. It's really weird and somewhat cult-like behavior

Do you think Steve Jobs spent a lot of time "seeing red" over people not buying Apple products?

Honestly at this point a huge portion of bitcoiners are essentially economic cluster Narrativists. Bitcoin is their God-Force, they are The Elect because of their obedience to the dictates of the God-Force, nocoiners are the Sheeple that The-Elect will someday rule over, and that glorious day will come when The Enemy of fiat currency has been vanquished.

Its basically a cult at this point- one that just so happens to make its adherents unusually good marks for financial exploitation (even by cult standards).

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 30, 2018

orange sky
May 7, 2007

someone who is good at the economy please help me

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
9905 YES!!! SUCK IT that was only 2 mins 30 secs

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
And up up UP it goes. Oh well, back to work.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Burt Sexual posted:

I guess so, they don't have any U.S. based operations as far as I know. Although supposedly one of their banks is in Poland which U.S. can easily pressure to get info on, but again that's not as quick as investigating U.S. based ponzi that has money in U.S. bank accounts.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
10k is such a huge psychological level that every time it breaks, in either direction, there is massive pressure to prop it up or down. It's not as simple as 'oh in this 5 minutes that I've been watching all the action has been sells'.

For one thing, there're a truckload more shorts that entered the market this week (looks like the news had leaked early) and a lot of people with massive bankrolls have a lot of incentives to counter-intuitively push the price *up* so all the under-collaterized shorts get forcibly liquidated and free the longs up to sell higher.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
i just told my students bitcoin is crashing. most said what is it. some said a scam. another said he bought $500 worth and lost $300.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Burt Sexual posted:

Maybe! It's also possible they respond to it and nothing happens for six more months because Lady Justice is slow, possible they shut down on the spot and exit scam...lots of possibilities, really.

The only total impossibility is that they have legitimately obtained 2b USD sitting in an account because lol no.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Adar posted:

Maybe! It's also possible they respond to it and nothing happens for six more months because Lady Justice is slow, possible they shut down on the spot and exit scam...lots of possibilities, really.

The only total impossibility is that they have legitimately obtained 2b USD sitting in an account because lol no.

I hope they get 'hacked', the best comedy option really.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Moxxis Endowment posted:

All i see is Bitcoin holding strong at 10k, stop FUDing you lousy FUDsters.

"I know jackshit about technology, now listen to my opinion on this new technology cryptocurrency!"

If Bitcoin is supposed to be money, it is a complete and utter failure. He's not commenting on how you can use it for speculation.

It seems that an obsession with the technical details precludes people from seeing the big picture (which is failure - and fine, as Bitcoin was never meant to be anything more than an interesting demo.)

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

bitfinex is based in hong kong, they will wipe their rear end with your usd fiat scam corrupt subpoena

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
From the Discord chat: this is some sort of US-government orchestrated plot to push down crypto so they can buy it all up.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Katana Gomai posted:

*edit2: this is super cool. There's a huge buywall at $9950 being eaten up right now

I think I know whose money that is

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

drat this market is crazy

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Adar posted:

Tether/Bitfinex's only known account is a tiny cooperative Polish farmer's bank that had something like $10 million USD in total assets prior to this business arrangement. I keep imagining them stuffing $2B USD into their tiny vault in a remote Polish village somewhere. Poor guys.

However Tether/Bitfinex runs all their money through Panama registered shell companies (those were disclosed) so good luck getting any money back if they decide to liquidate everything.

Mt. Gox also housed all their money in a tiny Polish bank FYI, so it's all very legit.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 30, 2018

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Moxxis Endowment posted:

lol there's a 50 BTC buywall in both directions at $9900.01 now

*edit: aaaand it's gone. Your clock is at 57'30"

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Katana Gomai posted:

lol there's a 50 BTC buywall in both directions at $9900.01 now

I see $9,900.00-$9,900.01 for the last minute

But now under as of this post time

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Someone should figure out which trading bots have which puts and make the curve draw a dick

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Moxxis Endowment posted:

The Vengeful Ghost of AlphaMayo haunts yeee

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Never did specify one continuous hour :pseudo:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

quote:

We need a sort of "Down For Everyone Or Just Me" for Bitcoin. As in: Is Bitcoin crashing or is the whole currency market just taking a nap right now? (self.Bitcoin)

:cawg:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

"currency"

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

i like when the number goes down

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
RESTART THE TIMER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm seeing $9840