Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
You can just re-cork the bottle with most meads right? I've certainly done it with Schramm's and never felt there was a significant decline in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Yes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How relaxed is San Francisco with public drinking, is it like New Orleans where it's total anarchy or is it just sorta like nobody cares in certain areas. I walked by a few parks with normal looking people having drinks and I want to do a cheap European bum lunch in a park but don't know if I should grab a beer.

It'd be really funny if it turns out that I can smoke a blunt on the street but it's illegal to drink a beer in the park.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Yeah you could do it. I split a Cellarmaker growler with some buds at Mission Dolores Park, so that was cool. And a vendor sold some super good cookies (the fun kind)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

air- posted:

Yeah you could do it. I split a Cellarmaker growler with some buds at Mission Dolores Park, so that was cool. And a vendor sold some super good cookies (the fun kind)

gently caress yes, having picnics in the park was one of my favorite things in Spain.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Anyone who ever says anything bad about toronado SF is an autistic piece of poo poo who can't hang out with stoners or hipsters.

Also I'm extremely surprised at how good blind pig tastes. I thought it was straight up hype but I could drink that forever.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Is there any love for Australian "craft beers"? We don't seem to be as adventurous as the Americans (pastry beers? The hell?) and to that I'm a little disappointed. However we have some really good stuff, but I've been limited to what I can buy locally.

Currently drinking drinking a Cricketer's Arms Spearhead Pale Ale, but my favourite beer I've ever had thus far is Gage Roads Atomic Ale. Yeah, Gage Roads is fairly big (not sure if they'd count as craft) but drat it's good.

Any brands to watch out for in Aus? America seems to have no shortage but given they have trouble selling enough for their local customers I am not gonna hold my breath that I'll ever have one.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

syntaxfunction posted:

Is there any love for Australian "craft beers"? We don't seem to be as adventurous as the Americans (pastry beers? The hell?) and to that I'm a little disappointed. However we have some really good stuff, but I've been limited to what I can buy locally.

Currently drinking drinking a Cricketer's Arms Spearhead Pale Ale, but my favourite beer I've ever had thus far is Gage Roads Atomic Ale. Yeah, Gage Roads is fairly big (not sure if they'd count as craft) but drat it's good.

Any brands to watch out for in Aus? America seems to have no shortage but given they have trouble selling enough for their local customers I am not gonna hold my breath that I'll ever have one.

Two Metre Tall Brewing is loving dope and I wish I could get more in the states.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Isn't epic aus? They make some decent stuff.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

syntaxfunction posted:

do you like lambic? i have a friend outside of Melbourne and he's able to find a fair amount of Drie Fonteinen stuff that American nerds would tear out their neckbeards to get. i only ever remember him mentioning two Aussie breweries- Little Creatures and i think Feral- but i've had a bunch of good stuff from Kiwiland, namely Garage Project, Epic, 8-Wired, Mike's, Liberty, Twisted Hop, and Tuatara, so hopefully some of that makes it out your way.

oh, yeah- i dunno who paid what for this, but i guess i'll take it: another top beer destinations list!

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 30, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

oh, yeah- i dunno who paid what for this, but i guess i'll take it: another top beer destinations list!

Someone paid nicely for it, like no London, Brussels/Bruges, Munich, Portland etc. What a weird list. I mean they seem to be discounting Germany and Belgium because they're far away but include China and South Korea.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 30, 2018

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Fat Lou posted:

Two Metre Tall Brewing is loving dope and I wish I could get more in the states.

funkybottoms posted:

do you like lambic? i have a friend outside of Melbourne and he's able to find a fair amount of Drie Fonteinen stuff that American nerds would tear out their neckbeards to get. i only ever remember him mentioning two Aussie breweries- Little Creatures and i think Feral- but i've had a bunch of good stuff from Kiwiland, namely Garage Project, Epic, 8-Wired, Mike's, Liberty, Twisted Hop, and Tuatara, so hopefully some of that makes it out your way.

I've had Little Creatures and Twisted Hop and I believe an Epic somewhere. I gotta say as jealous as I get of people in this thread about their "blackforest gateau lagers" or whatever I do appreciate that I can basically buy any craft beer here and it'll probably be good.

Except Love Tap and Big Head. gently caress that poo poo off. Love Tap is the worst beer I've ever had (worse than Pure Blonde :O ) and I even tried it three times to check. Big Head is just pricey and mediocre.

White Rabbit does great stuff, especially their dark ale. Gage Roads is pumping out great stuff too, although at large quantities (which may or may not be bad depending on your view). Stone and Wood are solid as gently caress too.

I've tried a bunch of different smaller breweries but it'd take effort to remember a lot of them.

Cheers for the suggestions guys!

Edit: Also yes I enjoy lambics so that's definitely on my list to check!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Someone paid nicely for it, like no London, Brussels/Bruges, Munich, Portland etc. What a weird list. I mean they seem to be discounting Germany and Belgium because they're far away but include China and South Korea.

the intro part clears that up:

"Yes, there are obvious American beer travel destinations, like Denver, Portland, and even Asheville. And there are bucket-list beercations abroad, like Belgium and Germany.

But for the beer lover looking to delve a little deeper into craft beer culture, an array of less obvious cities are becoming prime destinations for beer travel."

and i work at one of the places mentioned in the number one slot, so, again, i'll take it!

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Anyone who ever says anything bad about toronado SF is an autistic piece of poo poo who can't hang out with stoners or hipsters.

Also I'm extremely surprised at how good blind pig tastes. I thought it was straight up hype but I could drink that forever.

Is this 2010?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Munkaboo posted:

Is this 2010?

Blind Pig is better than any hazy IPA I've ever had.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

the intro part clears that up:

"Yes, there are obvious American beer travel destinations, like Denver, Portland, and even Asheville. And there are bucket-list beercations abroad, like Belgium and Germany.

But for the beer lover looking to delve a little deeper into craft beer culture, an array of less obvious cities are becoming prime destinations for beer travel."

and i work at one of the places mentioned in the number one slot, so, again, i'll take it!

I dunno if I'd call Louisville, Chicago, or NYC "underrated top" (what) beer destinations, but I think Bend surely qualifies for that. Maybe even Boston.

Toronado is fine, some people are accustomed to the yuppified sterile "atmosphere" for craft beer places and that's fine. I personally don't see an issue with the way they do things and besides, there's a ton of places to get a good beer.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

danbanana posted:

Nah I just mean the Toronado + Blind Pig combo gave me early beer drinking days vibes. Yes, Blind Pig was great when I had it in Cali.

Toronado can suck a dick.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Munkaboo posted:

Nah I just mean the Toronado + Blind Pig combo gave me early beer drinking days vibes. Yes, Blind Pig was great when I had it in Cali.

Toronado can suck a dick.

They treated me nicely, why do you hate it?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

deadwing posted:

They're sincerely not that bad if you understand that you're going to get exactly what the label promises, it's like drinking sweetened, syrupy peanut butter and jelly, for better or worse

Sounds great

I'm not at all stunned by that Garagiste guy's behavior. He's always been a part of "that" group of beer geeks, long before I knew he made mead. His whole business is reliant on that sort of behavior. He's selling hype first and foremost. He's the Wakefield of the mead world

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

danbanana posted:

Resident culture's Russian River brewer might persuade you...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

I was honesty expecting a thick biscuity malt bomb like other grandpas pales ales but it was a definite "tickers gotta tick" choice that didn't go pear shaped.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Captain Duvel posted:

Resident culture's Russian River brewer might persuade you...

No.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Spanish Manlove posted:

They treated me nicely, why do you hate it?

I enjoyed my visit a few months ago, but the friends I was with said the bathrooms were so disgusting that we left after one beer to go somewhere else.

I have never known them to complain about poo poo...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lt_Tofu posted:

I enjoyed my visit a few months ago, but the friends I was with said the bathrooms were so disgusting that we left after one beer to go somewhere else.

I have never known them to complain about poo poo...

I'm a huge germaphobe and thought the bathrooms were immaculate, but I was there Monday afternoon so presumably post cleaning. Sure it's covered in graffiti but that complaint reeks of someone who doesn't go to dive bars a lot.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm a huge germaphobe and thought the bathrooms were immaculate, but I was there Monday afternoon so presumably post cleaning. Sure it's covered in graffiti but that complaint reeks of someone who doesn't go to dive bars a lot.

Eh, we spend alot of time in bars, so I think it was a bad night. They were laughing at how bad one of them was.

RoRz0r
Sep 7, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I've had Little Creatures and Twisted Hop and I believe an Epic somewhere. I gotta say as jealous as I get of people in this thread about their "blackforest gateau lagers" or whatever I do appreciate that I can basically buy any craft beer here and it'll probably be good.

Except Love Tap and Big Head. gently caress that poo poo off. Love Tap is the worst beer I've ever had (worse than Pure Blonde :O ) and I even tried it three times to check. Big Head is just pricey and mediocre.

White Rabbit does great stuff, especially their dark ale. Gage Roads is pumping out great stuff too, although at large quantities (which may or may not be bad depending on your view). Stone and Wood are solid as gently caress too.

I've tried a bunch of different smaller breweries but it'd take effort to remember a lot of them.

Cheers for the suggestions guys!

Edit: Also yes I enjoy lambics so that's definitely on my list to check!

Heaps of good beers to recommend.
Boatrocker are probably my favourite brewery - heaps of wild barrel age stuff going on.

Modus Operandi, Nail, Feral ... too many other breweries to even mention. Aus craft beer is booming, sucks about the tax on it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

RoRz0r posted:

Aus craft beer is booming, sucks about the tax on it.

It really blew me away how expensive it is to drink in Australia. The taxes are so much that you have to be rich to be an alcoholic.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

very stable genius posted:

It really blew me away how expensive it is to drink in Australia. The taxes are so much that you have to be rich to be an alcoholic.

Just find some people to play "Slap the Bag" drinking game with. Drunkenness will quickly follow. Interestingly it's also called "Goon of Fortune".

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Saw someone post a picture of some high ABV stout and them eating a cake and comparing the two. Didn't read the post just kept scrolling because I felt sick to my stomach thinking about it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

sterster posted:

Saw someone post a picture of some high ABV stout and them eating a cake and comparing the two. Didn't read the post just kept scrolling because I felt sick to my stomach thinking about it.

Pairing a stout with a dessert isn't a crazy idea. But you're throwing off your palate if you really want to know what the beer tastes like given the sweetness of the cake.

These days, I guess you could be loving up the cake with the sweetness of the beer, too.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Truly having your cake and drinking it too

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

These days, I guess you could be loving up the cake with the sweetness of the beer, too.

dphi posted:

Truly having your cake and drinking it too

lol

drank a bottle of The Hollow from Kent Falls that i brought back in July and forgot about in the work fridge. i didn't expect much since it's a pilsner, but it was goddamn good- a little bready with a full, soft mouthfeel and almost zero hop bitterness. insanely crushable.

picked up a six-pack of Black Butte (quick grocery stop in my hurry to get home and watch Spurs/United) and it's really bad- not sure what i'm gonna do with the other five diacetyl bombs bottles. ugh.

going back to brands overextending themselves, i saw a Golden Road six-pack marked down to five dollars the other day. i'm not sure where else they distribute, but i can't imagine they can really justify sending stuff across the country (CA -> VA) to die.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

going back to brands overextending themselves, i saw a Golden Road six-pack marked down to five dollars the other day. i'm not sure where else they distribute, but i can't imagine they can really justify sending stuff across the country (CA -> VA) to die.

They're an AB brand now, so the justification is taking shelf space and tap handles away from independent craft.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

theyre in delaware, so i can only presume AB is sending it nationwide

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

They have a show on VICELAND and I hate it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Papa John Misty posted:

They have a show on VICELAND and I hate it

That whole network tries so drat hard to pander to millennials and I love it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I unabashedly love 90% of it

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i dgaf what viceland does as long as they keep renewing nirvanna the band the show

e: oh its dead in canada :(

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Shame about the Black Butte, I love that beer and drink it any time I am in the PNW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Beer nerds are the worst 2018:cheers: