Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Out of curiosity, in a school that only teaches Judo and no Jiu Jitsu, how much concentration, or time spent, is there on Newaza?

This varies greatly from club to club. Since you can win a judo match from the feet, and since you'll spend most of your match time on your feet, some clubs practice very little newaza. Like <10% of class time spent on the ground. Most clubs I've trained at are about 60/40 on the feet.

That said, I got my judo black belt right when bjj was starting to catch on. 4 or 5 years later when I started bjj I was getting schooled by most blue belts. Now that I'm a pretty experienced blue belt myself I can handily beat most judo black belts on the ground, even if they put me there.

Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If I'm shopping for wrestling shoes, should I go snug like snowboard boots or loose like running shoes? Anything to look for/avoid in any particular model?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ihop posted:

If I'm shopping for wrestling shoes, should I go snug like snowboard boots or loose like running shoes? Anything to look for/avoid in any particular model?

They should just be, you know, comfortable. I guess you want them relatively snug? But really they should just fit properly.

Are you buying wrestling shoes for actual wrestling? If you're getting them for another grappling sport...don't.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being honest I just want to learn something so that I am no longer intimidated by others as much. I also want something that is fun and I will meet others with.

However, I don't know if I'm dedicated enough to adhere to a super strict diet or routine.

I'm kind of leaning toward Muey Thai or some type of combat that involves a lot of hand to hand. Not sure what's best.

How tall are you and what do you weigh? What do you bench press?

These guys are all correct, the most obvious answer is bjj, or if you wish to strike, boxing.

quote:

It answers it perfectly thank you. I know some people who say boxing is superior to kickboxing due to the Mayweather and McGregor fight.

boxing is because of the reasons explained for beginners in the initial 6 months, but not because May Mac, as that was a boxing rules fight. If it had been mma or kickboxing Mcgregor would of probably won as it wouldnt of been a boxing match it would of been a less restricted fight. Its not really news that boxers win boxing matches against non boxing opponents.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

If you are feeling intimidated by people might I first suggest therapy.

Then martial arts if you want to be stronger/fitter/more co ordinated etc etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Out of curiosity, in a school that only teaches Judo and no Jiu Jitsu, how much concentration, or time spent, is there on Newaza?

Our club does 40% Newaza (2 out of 5 classes) and I'm going to guess that's high, as our kids are the unholy terrors on the ground in our area. Our youth yellow and orange belts outwork blue and brown belts. Most of our rank upset wins happen on the ground. We actually had a 12-year old fight up in one age division and two weight divisions a while back and her opponent was so scared of our girl after the ref rescued her from a strangle that she got super timid and outworked on the feet, leading to our tiny girl getting gold vs 15 year olds.

I also know that I'm not a good comparison, seeing as I have several years of BJJ too, but when I go to provincial team practices, the competitive athletes don't offer me much of a challenge in newaza either. My last tournament, the heavyweight 3rd degree black belt I fought afterwards commented that he was doing everything he could to avoid the ground, as my transitions were too slick for him to want to screw around with (he threw me for ippon in both of our matches). (yes, self-evaluation and self-praise).

I actually expect that at most clubs it's closer to 20%.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Southpaugh posted:

If you are feeling intimidated by people might I first suggest therapy.

Didn't work for me sadly

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

yeah but you are also a living punchline.

Really though maybe more therapy fewer roids willie.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just want to learn how to fight in order to defend myself.

If you are 31 and have never gotten into a fight you are unlikely to get into a fight as you get older.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I've had people I've never talked to or seen in my life approach me mid-day at high-end bars get in my face. I am a big guy. YMMV.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

I've had people I've never talked to or seen in my life approach me mid-day at high-end bars get in my face. I am a big guy. YMMV.

My friend on the other hand goofs on people taking themselves way too seriously at bars if they're talking at our table. The fact no one has decked him one in the face really shows this day and age is really kinder and gentler than the old days.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

yeah but you are also a living punchline.

Really though maybe more therapy fewer roids willie.

To Willie's credit he's started to post less insane things and be more reasonable.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They should just be, you know, comfortable. I guess you want them relatively snug? But really they should just fit properly.

Are you buying wrestling shoes for actual wrestling? If you're getting them for another grappling sport...don't.

Wrestling class. It's probably my terrible technique but the shots are tearing up the tops of my feet and toes. Plus I figure they'll help inhibit my inclination to use leg sweeps and focus on shooting.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How likely am I to get injured while learning these? I ask because I have no healthcare.

willie_dee posted:

How tall are you and what do you weigh? What do you bench press?

5'10, 154 lbs, and idk like 140 or something lower than it should be? Haven't bench pressed in like three years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

punk rebel ecks posted:

How likely am I to get injured while learning these? I ask because I have no healthcare.

It really depends on how the gym does instruction and whether you get paired up with an insane rear end in a top hat.
If instruction is safe and there's no bad apples in the class, pretty low, though freak injuries are a tiny possibility.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I may be more risk averse than most, but doing any type of contact sport without having health insurance seems like could end up being a really bad financial decision if you blow out a knee, shoulder, etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

punk rebel ecks posted:

5'10, 154 lbs, and idk like 140 or something lower than it should be? Haven't bench pressed in like three years.

Do not touch Willie good advice

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Do not touch Willie good advice

?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I have never been seriously injured while training.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ihop posted:

Wrestling class. It's probably my terrible technique but the shots are tearing up the tops of my feet and toes. Plus I figure they'll help inhibit my inclination to use leg sweeps and focus on shooting.

Okay. I always advise people to stay away from wrestling shoes for not-wrestling because they're too grippy for some of the more dynamic pivoting movements you see in stuff like sambo and judo and can result in a greater risk of injury.

If your priority is on protecting your feet then sambofski are the best of both worlds, they're basically wrestling shoes but with leather soles so you can slide and pivot more easily. I wear them for literally everything, even BJJ, mostly because then I don't have to worry about things like turf toe or getting toenails ripped off or getting athlete's foot.

http://www.afinternationalsporting.com/product_info.php/products_id/183

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

You aren't a big guy?! You are very handsome but you are also very soft looking. You have a kind face.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

I am one of the last people you should be taking advice from.

at 6'0 145lbs I too felt like you, only I took some steroids, got to 190lbs, and started debt collecting/bouncing with some local fighters because adventure. I also am now on the look out for motorbike thieves and acid attackers.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

ihop posted:

This happened to me a lot too, it never went away.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

willie_dee posted:

You aren't a big guy?! You are very handsome but you are also very soft looking. You have a kind face.

Don't blow my cover, willie_dee.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So how realistic is it for one highly trained fighter to take on like five guys at once? I'm curious on your thoughts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

punk rebel ecks posted:

So how realistic is it for one highly trained fighter to take on like five guys at once? I'm curious on your thoughts.

It's a fantasy. Unless you're dealing with idiots who run in one at a time, and someone with one-shot KO power, it's simply not going to happen.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well the trained fighter might be able to sprint for more than 50m.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That story rogan tells about chuck lidell backed up against a wall just one shotting everyone who got close to him

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Novum posted:

That story rogan tells about chuck lidell backed up against a wall just one shotting everyone who got close to him

I think Mark Hunt got discovered the same way -- just brawling with drunk guys outside of a bar and winning.

You see the occasional video of a boxer handling some random half-hearted attackers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrlbjKfe0zI
It's not impossible to beat some randos, but you never have to get into these situations, unless you're willie and his HB8 gf.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 30, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

A guy I know was a heavyweight amateur boxer and he lives in a rough part of town. He got jumped by 2-3 kids recently and knocked out one of them. Made another piss their pants. He got concussed and said he was flash KO'd for a second.

This is not good stuff, he was lucky they didn't have weapons.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Novum posted:

The best part is that he flipped his watch over his fist as a makeshift knuckle duster.

I think that story is different from winning a legit 5v1. 5 guys focused on loving one guy up versus chaos.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why are you so obsessed with this? You are never going to be able to fend off 5 attackers without a literal lifetime of training and even then it's a gamble. Hence why this thread is appropriately titled.

If you want to learn some self confidence (you need it), get in shape, learn to defend yourself in the event you can't flee from your attacker, and meet some good people go find your local jiu jitsu instructor and try a class out.

Tap early, tap often, you're not tough no matter how tough you think you are. If you get in an uncomfortable spot, tap. People get hurt in grappling from reacting wrong to submissions rather than just tapping.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pro athletes are also loving mutants, and if they're elite MMA fighters...it's not really something that should inform how "actual" fights tend to go.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

JaySB posted:

Why are you so obsessed with this?

I want to try being a reallife superhero. Like Phoenix Jones from Seattle.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JaySB posted:

Tap early, tap often, you're not tough no matter how tough you think you are.

Whenever I have stupid idle thoughts about being able to kick somebody's rear end, I remind myself of the time I got mega-owned in the gym by a 15 year old I had like 40 lbs on.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh...Definitely talk to Willie then and listen to everything he has to say. But don't do it in this thread.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

JaySB posted:

Oh...Definitely talk to Willie then and listen to everything he has to say. But don't do it in this thread.

Is Willie Phoenix Jones? 🤔

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Willie Phoenix Jones? 🤔

OP, if you end up trying out some gyms, definitely report back on what they're like so we can advise if they're gonna be good places to train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just be the best YOU that you can be.

I see egos all the time come in and then I dont see them anymore. Be ego free, learn, learn learn and have fun and you will win.