Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Anything that references past comics either doesn't need explanation, gets enough of one, or you can just pick up the gist of it.

Also, in Lackadaisy, Ivy and Freckle are starting to become an actual couple at last, and it is cute as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Anything that references past comics either doesn't need explanation, gets enough of one, or you can just pick up the gist of it.

Also, in Lackadaisy, Ivy and Freckle are starting to become an actual couple at last, and it is cute as heck.

All of these kittens are so, so dead.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

All of these kittens are so, so dead.

Well, I mean, it is nearly a century later, yes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, I mean, it is nearly a century later, yes.

I mean, let's be serious: how many characters do you think will still be alive when the story is over?

(The only obvious choice is "Rocky, still having learned nothing".)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/638732653844393984

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, let's be serious: how many characters do you think will still be alive when the story is over?

I'm pretty sure that Zeb will not be allowed to die until his suffering is complete and exquisite.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

If anything Rocky's been coming apart faster than anyone else in the cast. In more ways than one!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

rocky is a poet and poets are immortal

actually immortal, like the highlander. not just in the artsy-farts "i live on through my work" way.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I just wish Lackadaisy updated often enough for me to better be able to track who the characters are and what they’re doing :/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Victor seems like an obvious choice for first major character death, maybe Mordecai and Serafine/Nicolai somewhere down the line. The three adorable kids, not a chance in hell. They'll be hit by some hardships, like Rocky's injury, but I think Tracy Butler is too pure-hearted and too enamoured with them for them to actually kick the bucket. The comic has a whimsical streak that's absolutely integral to its tone and what makes it enjoyable for the author to make in the first place, and having one of those three die would kill that part of the comic 100% dead.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 27, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly, I think that Wick's probably gonna come out of this alive. Fortunes intact, possibly not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Victor seems like an obvious choice for first major character death, maybe Mordecai and Serafine/Nicolai somewhere down the line. The three adorable kids, not a chance in hell. They'll be hit by some hardships, like Rocky's injury, but I think Tracy Butler is too pure-hearted and too enamoured with them for them to actually kick the bucket. The comic has a whimsical streak that's absolutely integral to its tone and what makes it enjoyable for the author to make in the first place, and having one of those three die would kill that part of the comic 100% dead.

The whimsy's kind of been gone for a while, except maybe when the Savoys are around. It's still plenty goofy in side-strips but for like half the main comic's run it's just been steadily deepening poverty, desperation and moral turpitude.

Even Rocky's gone from "ha ha" funny to "strained chuckle while eyeing possible escape routes" funny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If Viktor and Mordecai don't resolve their differences and then still kill each other anyway for the hell of it, something has gone catastrophically wrong with Lackadaisy :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

The whimsy's kind of been gone for a while, except maybe when the Savoys are around. It's still plenty goofy in side-strips but for like half the main comic's run it's just been steadily deepening poverty, desperation and moral turpitude.

Even Rocky's gone from "ha ha" funny to "strained chuckle while eyeing possible escape routes" funny.

Has it really though

It wasn't that many pages ago that Rocky wrote an elaborate wake up message on Ivy's wall with makeup. I think there was a sentient pancake in the drawing.

I don't really buy the idea that the whimsy is gone. This seems like the kind of story where a lot of people die or are ruined by their inescapable vortex of choices, but Ivy and Freckle come out of it alive but changed by the experience.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Has it really though

It wasn't that many pages ago that Rocky wrote an elaborate wake up message on Ivy's wall with makeup. I think there was a sentient pancake in the drawing.

Considering he did that after absconding from her dorm room with a gaping head wound, I'd call that a "strained chuckle" kind of moment.

All of Rocky's antics have gained this nasty edge after he hinted at why he had to leave town in the first place.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Considering he did that after absconding from her dorm room with a gaping head wound, I'd call that a "strained chuckle" kind of moment.

All of Rocky's antics have gained this nasty edge after he hinted at why he had to leave town in the first place.

I forget, why was that?

Ah, here it is. Looks like Freckle did a murder and Rocky took the fall.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 28, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, I think we have our new cast. Possibly even setup for Mystery Teens: The Next Generation.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Lackadaisy from the start has been about a bunch of funny cartoon sociopathic killers

like, that axe murder scene and bits with Rocky threatening to murder Wick were in the scraps before Butler started compiling it into a comic proper

Rand Brittain posted:

I forget, why was that?

Ah, here it is. Looks like Freckle did a murder and Rocky took the fall.

p sure it wasn't a murder per se or Ol' Lady McMurray wouldn't be tolerating Rocky so much. Def some kind of hosed up psycho poo poo tho

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 29, 2018

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

So, what has Meredith Gran been doing since Octopus Pie ended last year?

Apparently she's decided to make a video game. I tend to avoid game kickstarters these days, but it's harder to go wrong with a point-and-click adventure game (as I see that Spaceventure is now in its 5th year without a release...).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really love Vattu, but whenever I'm fully caught up, I get frustrated on how much more I wanna read.

I really wanna know what Vanni has been doing with Fluter society, and how he became in charge of the colony that the Empire was building instead of one of the earlier contacted tribes. I imagine there's no Hunter because there's no herds to go after, but do they even understand that the empire is trying to get them to farm, or has Vanni just been pulling short-term scams to offer tribute?

I wonder how much more we're gonna learn about Fluter society here too, are we going to finally see the Dead again?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Whats that comic about the girl and her brother getting super powers and she picked the powet of creation and rebuilt the world?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Whats that comic about the girl and her brother getting super powers and she picked the powet of creation and rebuilt the world?

a better place

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

As part of it's new monthly schedule, Prince of Sartar has put up three new pages up this week, with another one due Tuesday.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Does anyone remember a black and white comic about someone impersonating a god's 'chosen one' after the real guy got murdered? It went on hiatus for awhile when I lost track of it. Randomly thought of it this morning but I can't remember the name. God-something?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Godsend, which has updated like four pages since you stopped reading it in 2015.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Godsend, which has updated like four pages since you stopped reading it in 2015.

oh wow, that's a shame

e: oh, she had a kid, that's understandable

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Monster Pulse: Lulenski just does not stop having incredibly good ideas.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Monster Pulse: Lulenski just does not stop having incredibly good ideas.

Yeah, that basically seals it for me. Lulenski is 100% the true villain of this story, and I can't wait to see her go down. Hard.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like how it seems literally everyone in Tackleford does the 'cover your mouth when you're whispering to someone' move wrong.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of discussion, it looks like we're finally going to find out what hideous thing is hidden under Thistle's hood in Daughter of the Lilies whenever it updates next. A third foot, but with a face and lips

The reveal happened, bee-tee-dubs.

Most people guessed right!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm still disappointed she wasn't a 'be ye not afraid' angel.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

DotL: The reveal I expected. I wonder where the comic will go now that what is probably its biggest draw is spent.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

My DotL story progress guess, considering the authors previous statements on religion and her having a thing for stories with certain undertones:

A lesson on acceptance of others despite their differences. Keeps on track with the predictable reveal. Not really the worst possible thing, just sort of "meh".

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
El Goonish Shive: in which it is determined that a very small percentage when applied to a very large number still results in a large number.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm still disappointed she wasn't a 'be ye not afraid' angel.

this woulda owned. the take on demons wasn't half bad so she probably coulda pulled it off but enh

also minor lol at adding per-page content warnings for fighting, in the comic about sword mans stab things

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 2, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this woulda owned. the take on demons wasn't half bad so she probably coulda pulled it off but enh

also minor lol at adding per-page content warnings for fighting, in the comic about sword mans stab things

Actually, it looks to be specifically because the cave elf dude is straddling her, and is self-admitted as something that most people won't need, but some people will. So, sure, fine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Axiem posted:

El Goonish Shive: in which it is determined that a very small percentage when applied to a very large number still results in a large number.

So there are a total of five "seers who have used magic", and we know that two of them are in the USA while a third is in the UK. The remaining two are unknown. We're told there's over a thousand seers in total, so most of them have never used magic, and since they're seer the only possible reason for that is that they don't know they can. That means that magic in EGS is largely an Anglo-Saxon thing.

If magic reset, all the seers will be informed, so that will change. All these people will know they have magic powers. Assuming seers are spread homogeneously among the population (which basically means: assuming immortals aren't racist who only shag white people), there'll be like 600 for Asia (China alone will have 200, India alone 190), 160 for Africa, 100 for Europe, 80 for North America, 60 for South America, and 5 for Oceania. That will completely change the magical balance of power.

I doubt Shive will really go into the geopolitical consequences, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Good start for a new comic right?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's an issue with how Allison composes his panels. He tends to center the speaker in a panel and have the person they're speaking to on the right so that the panel reads properly. You generally don't want to block the speaker's face in a comic since expression is so important and hiding the face can make identifying the speaker more difficult, thus the weird mouth covering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

pospysyl posted:

I think it's an issue with how Allison composes his panels. He tends to center the speaker in a panel and have the person they're speaking to on the right so that the panel reads properly. You generally don't want to block the speaker's face in a comic since expression is so important and hiding the face can make identifying the speaker more difficult, thus the weird mouth covering.
I prefer the interpretation that everyone in Tackleford is just really, really bad at whispering.