Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tias posted:

translated from their actual statement:

"Loving your neighbour is the essence of christianity, and is inextricably linked with loving God. It makes no sense without God, so to speak. However, we are only human, and do not always manage to do so.

Love your neighbour refers to close relations. Some people are so busy helping refugees, that I think they forget to be present to those people, who really are their neighbour. I think it's detestable to hear people claim one should help refugees in that case. It's more important to me to love the neighbour who is in a close relation to you. I show this love by feeding my children and kissing my husband on the cheek. You do not always make people happy by love of neighbour however - it is also spanking my son, if he has stolen from the kiosk or such."

Remember, this is a trained protestant preacher with many years of experience talking. Her father is even worse, somehow :sigh:

Hey Tias, I'm kinda curious - presumably others have been bombarding them with the Good Samaritan and other Biblical quotes in this thread that directly contradict that. Any idea what their response to the Good Samaritan is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Howdy, fam-in-Christ Nirvikalpa! Please let us join in fellowship as our brother Jesus of Nazareth taught how.

For me personally, the division between any two believers in Christ bums me out severely. But I've learned to sublimate that sadness into how I want to live my life (and how I request for the Lord's aid), which is with the admiration and affection for the God in each person that Jesus still manages to instill in me, a sinner.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this thread has two modes: 100% chill and murderous slapfight.

you've gotten us on one of the chill days

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

This is 100% true and I say this as very much a part of the secondary part of the statement.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
much like cats

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yasss, purrrrr

Tomn posted:

Hey Tias, I'm kinda curious - presumably others have been bombarding them with the Good Samaritan and other Biblical quotes in this thread that directly contradict that. Any idea what their response to the Good Samaritan is?

More or less they appeal to their authority as long-time priests and respected theologicians. Marie Krarup whom I quoted is part of the "Tidehverv" (roughly translates as "(an) Epoch") movement, that her dad and a couple of other really old established protestant pastors established in 1926 as a counter-reformation movement. So it was originally about anti-modern christian resistance, but all the old members are also horrible racists and were founding members of both the Progress Party and the Danish People's Party.

All these years people have heard your criticisms many times before, and have still managed to wedge out a small but dedicated following of christians, who come from the same revivalist currents as themselves and agree with their anti-modern and strict lutheran views, and a much larger body of political followers in the very racist Danish public discourse.

At least to their christian followers, they are taken seriously when they say "thy neighbour" is equal to the close, regional, familial and national tribal community. Not only because of the xenophobia and brainwashing common to these groups, but also because they have been at this forever and are pretty good at escaping serious debate by ridiculing and trash talking other priests and politicians.

It's pretty incredolous to me, and I live in it :eng99:

HEY GUNS posted:

nothing's stopping you, just go find a volcano god and worship it

Yeah, we're going to need some million worshippers and some devotion towards healing the earth hitherto unseen.

Considering the odds of that happening, perhaps we need to sacrifice some dudes to it again

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 30, 2018

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'm always chill :beerpal:

HEY GUNS posted:

While we (i.e. both Catholics and Orthodox) have St Januarius, patron saint of volcanic eruptions to pray to - also the patron saint of Naples by the way, where thrice every year his normally congealed blood miraculously re-liquifies :catholic:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

I'm always chill :beerpal:
morning, man

quote:

While we (i.e. both Catholics and Orthodox) have St Januarius, patron saint of volcanic eruptions to pray to - also the patron saint of Naples by the way, where thrice every year his normally congealed blood miraculously re-liquifies :catholic:
oh yeah, that dude. i forgot. and it reliquified when the pope said hello to him, that also

tias, go pray to st. januarius

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
Ask a Pastor’s kid anything. Go.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Supervolcanoes are pretty hardcore - one almost eradicated humanity 70.000 years ago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory) and many smaller eruptions seem to correlate with 'years without summer' - years with very cold weather, usually followed by famines and epidemics.

So a prayer to St. Januarius is always a good idea.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

AutisticAwl posted:

What sorta denomination? How did everyday life in your family differ from other families? Did you have many unannounced visitors who wanted to talk to your dad/mum about whatever?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

AutisticAwl posted:

How's it going?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tias posted:

you guys I'm having a crisis of faith. I'm taking geography 101 and learning about the Yellowstone caldera, and what it and the other volcanoes are going to do someday.

We might be on the wrong track and should all go worship the volcanoes to appease them :gonk:

HEY GUNS posted:

Tias posted:

Considering the odds of that happening, perhaps we need to sacrifice some dudes to it again

The last book I read from the library was Death in Yellowstone. Trust me, lots of people (and a number of dogs) have been sacrificed to the volcano god of Yellowstone over the decades. :black101:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

St Januarius, patron saint of volcanic eruptions to pray to - also the patron saint of Naples by the way
Well, that's appropriate.

quote:

[Naples] lies between two notable volcanic regions, Mount Vesuvius and the Campi Flegrei (en: Phlegraean Fields).

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

AutisticAwl posted:

What is your opinion on silly hats?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HEY GUNS posted:

this thread really commits to the whole forgiveness thing, serious disagreements and all

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
we're like the church of the holy sepulcher except the non-christian is fighting instead of holding the keys to the thread

Tias
May 25, 2008

We can talk (probably) fallen theologician history in here, right? Tell me if it's inappropriate.

I just came across the story of Uppsala theology student Daniel Salthenius, who made a pact with the devil to help him with his studies, exactly 300 years ago today. The blood contract was found by his classmates and he was tried for heresy in court. The judge deemed him so young (18) so that the death penalty should not apply in his case. He was imprisoned for ten years to live on bread and water. He ended up at Königsberg’s university as a professor in theology and when he died in 1750 he owned the largest private library in Prussia- 22 000 volumes, 300 bibles, 1500 books on exegesis, and 6000 manuscripts.

Photo of the contract with the devil:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Tias posted:

We can talk (probably) fallen theologician history in here, right? Tell me if it's inappropriate.

I just came across the story of Uppsala theology student Daniel Salthenius, who made a pact with the devil to help him with his studies, exactly 300 years ago today. The blood contract was found by his classmates and he was tried for heresy in court. The judge deemed him so young (18) so that the death penalty should not apply in his case. He was imprisoned for ten years to live on bread and water. He ended up at Königsberg’s university as a professor in theology and when he died in 1750 he owned the largest private library in Prussia- 22 000 volumes, 300 bibles, 1500 books on exegesis, and 6000 manuscripts.

What a weird find. I wonder if one can confess or be forgiven such an act -if such an act is even possible in how we traditionally conceive of it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ceciltron posted:

What a weird find. I wonder if one can confess or be forgiven such an act -if such an act is even possible in how we traditionally conceive of it.

*looks at his student loans*

Uh, no, of course not. How silly!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

*looks at his student loans*

Uh, no, of course not. How silly!

Burning down Mammon's temples and sacking the altars of greed would free many souls, I agree.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ceciltron posted:

I read about a mother superior who successfully took a boy's soul back from the Devil on the premise that he was too young to make that contract legitimate when I was writing an old term paper on the tribulations of women religious in catholic history. So I guess that suggests it's possible, especially in a case of foolish youth.

In general in matters of the Devil, it is important to remember that when Christ was tested in the desert, it isn't that he could not have passed the tests of power that the tempter offered him, it's that he knew he didn't need to. God is enormously beyond the power of evil. If Christ can redeem the sins of all of mankind, then it stands to follow that an earnest recanting of an attempt to make a pact with evil would be redeemed and forgiven, too.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

I read about a mother superior who successfully took a boy's soul back from the Devil on the premise that he was too young to make that contract legitimate when I was writing an old term paper on the tribulations of women religious in catholic history. So I guess that suggests it's possible, especially in a case of foolish youth.

In general in matters of the Devil, it is important to remember that when Christ was tested in the desert, it isn't that he could not have passed the tests of power that the tempter offered him, it's that he knew he didn't need to. God is enormously beyond the power of evil. If Christ can redeem the sins of all of mankind, then it stands to follow that an earnest recanting of an attempt to make a pact with evil would be redeemed and forgiven, too.

I feel this is most certainly correct, and that the evil have probably put a lot of effort into convincing people of the inviolability of contracts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the most awesome things I was introduced to about good old Satan was back in college, when my literature professor (who was great) pointed out that it isn't that Satan in Paradise Lost is some heroic, noble rebel; he's a spiteful, petty monster out to ruin creation because his rebellion failed completely and utterly. He simply knows the language of heroism and knows how to use it to frame his petty, small endeavor as a grand epic.

I know that's fiction and not liturgy, but I feel like it's a wonderful way of thinking about evil in its contests with God. It thinks it's making more progress than it is, and it knows how to lie about itself well enough to convince itself it is something else as well as fooling the reader if it can.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 13, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You could probably make a case that Christ's sacrifice was made necessary because, broadly speaking, all of humanity had a deal with the Devil.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

What sorta denomination? How did everyday life in your family differ from other families? Did you have many unannounced visitors who wanted to talk to your dad/mum about whatever?

We are evangelical. My life differs a lot from many other kids growing up. Every Sunday since birth, I’m up at 6:45 going to church, setting up everything. Not a whole a lot of unannounced visitors coming to my house to talk to my parents, unless it’s urgent counseling. It’s more like urgent help needed somewhere. For example, last week, a member of our church went through divorce with an abusive wife. So my dad left at 2AM to go talk and pray with the dude.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Worthleast posted:

What is your opinion on silly hats?

Depends on the “silly hats” your talking about.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Caufman posted:

How's it going?

Pretty good.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ceciltron posted:

Aren't some of you people praying for demons and poo poo? A lot of badass christians are forgiving them so hard right now :getin:

pidan posted:

That said I really hope the theologian Tias mentioned broke that contract eventually and is in heaven now. Or purgatory I guess.

We shall have to assume the preussian court mages found some way to serve the demon in court.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

docbeard posted:

You could probably make a case that Christ's sacrifice was made necessary because, broadly speaking, all of humanity had a deal with the Devil.

And, as a teacher told a group I was part of and that was interested what such deals with the Devil would be: you can't bargain away what isn't yours. If you make such a deal, it's void to begin with, since your soul is already paid for with blood of Christ.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's never wise to make contracts with mythological figures. But in order to make some sort of deal with the devil, you'd have to show not only that the devil exists as some sort of actual being you can make contracts with, but also that the devil agreed to the terms of the contract, and how do you show that?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Ceciltron posted:

evil have probably put a lot of effort into convincing people of the inviolability of contracts.

Libertarians?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Look, I clearly wrote the name of the corporate stand-in for me on this gold-fringed contract, and so, under admiralty law, you are entitled to the soul of that fictional construct but not to my free and sovereign soul.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Epicurius posted:

It's never wise to make contracts with mythological figures. But in order to make some sort of deal with the devil, you'd have to show not only that the devil exists as some sort of actual being you can make contracts with, but also that the devil agreed to the terms of the contract, and how do you show that?

I've always thought of the whole thing as being more perilous because you're showing you'd be open to making a deal with ultimate evil for temporal gain, rather than because there's a direct and literal fallen angel happily bargaining for human souls.

Besides, everyone knows Satan was the Lord's court prosecutor back in OT days.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I've always thought of the whole thing as being more perilous because you're showing you'd be open to making a deal with ultimate evil for temporal gain, rather than because there's a direct and literal fallen angel happily bargaining for human souls.

Besides, everyone knows Satan was the Lord's court prosecutor back in OT days.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. When it comes to making a deal with the devil, I don't think that Satan is actually offering you anything. He's just tempting you, so he can narc on you to God

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

we're like the church of the holy sepulcher except the non-christian is fighting instead of holding the keys to the thread
haaa hahahahahaaha

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

that's one way to get tenure

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

Of course you can, you can be forgiven anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

in our court or theirs? how do you even try a demon, who has jurisdiction

• Locked thread