Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's that Valve Guy's brother or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Ooh "stupid kid" electricity story time? Yeah alright.

I as a toddler apparently had an affinity for arc welding coins by pulling out my nightlight ever so far. I also (on 220v) would jam metal objects in the German outlets.

Then as a teen I had been told that the electric mower was unplugged @ the house so I began detaching from the mower side. It was not unplugged, so my hand slipped and finished the 110 circult. That was fun.

Or that time where I was attempting to repair a camera flash with a (metal) jeweler's screwdriver. That's when I learned how a camera flash uses a huge loving capacitor to fire.

Darwin who?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

This is way worse than when I kicked through a 1/8 metal drill bit barefoot in my basement by accident and had to pry it out with the drill moving in reverse.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

They hid the hinges better in later Westworld robots.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Applesnots posted:

I had an ex whos parents had a house. When the lived they they wired up some deck lights with a length of romex attached to the outside of the deck, held on with wire staples. They eventually moved out and rented the house to her aunt and family. The family hooke the dogs leash to the romex and let him use it for a run and after a while it rubbed through the wire. It was raining one day and the father came home and fount his wife and kid both dead in the yard, as near as anyone figured out the kid went out to unhook the dog and was electrocuted, the mother saw her kid and went to help and suffered the same fate. the dog was fine though.

:gonk: did the owner get a negligent manslaughter charge or something?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Three-Phase posted:

I think you can use a autotransformer to go up from 208V to 240V or down. Or 277 down to 240. But you cannot use an autotransformer to go from say 277V to 120V or 4160V to 480V because it provides no isolation like a regular two-winding transformer does.

Also here are all the AC voltage combinations I heard of:

69/120
120/240 (Edison two pole)
120/208
240/400
277/480
347/600
580/1000 (mining equip???)
2400/4160
4160/7200
7200/12.5k
13.8kV
34.5kV
69kV
138kV
345kV
500kV
1000kV (one test transmission line in Japan)

Aren't some of the lines I see with 4 conductors per phase 765kv? At least that's what I was told.

There was one near where I lived and we used to walk around under it with fluorescent tubes, and they'd light up. Also, on humid nights, the corona discharge was drat near deafening. Sounded like a million frying pans frying bacon.

E: eesh.. sorry about the artifacts in this crappy jpeg.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 30, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

He looks unhinged to me.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

cakesmith handyman posted:

:gonk: did the owner get a negligent manslaughter charge or something?

It was dropped but there was civil suit.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

ryanbruce posted:

Ooh "stupid kid" electricity story time? Yeah alright.

I was a smart enough kid to not get shocked, but...

When I was 7, I got a copy of the book Getting Started in Electronics from Radio Shack (great book for newbies, by the way - I got ANOTHER copy in the military as a "textbook" for the basic electronics course.) I decided to explore the ~world of electricity~, eventually getting to the point where I made my own variable ~0-40VDC bench power supply powered off 120VAC and cobbled together from random salvaged parts.

It was very cool. At least, very cool until I plugged it in, and it started vibrating across the bench for some reason. And for some odd reason, I had 360VAC coming out the other side according to my lovely little multimeter.

I figured out the backwards transformer pretty much immediately, but it took me quite a few years to guess that I probably hosed up the rectifier somehow on top of that. Between poo poo like that, solder fumes, and the repeated soldering iron burns, I'm probably lucky I made it to adulthood with enough smarts to even think about college. :v:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

This needs to be here too

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

What, no 'after' picture?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I feel that if you're going for a warning, instead of trying to be clever you should maybe just put up a sign that says

ELECTRICITY! ACIDS! YOU WILL loving DIE!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'd just write "wanna die rad?"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"If you want strangers on the Internet to mock your death, keep loving around with this device"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We have a generation of people who are eating Tide Pods, you think this is going to stop people?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I feel that if you're going for a warning, instead of trying to be clever you should maybe just put up a sign that says

ELECTRICITY! BASES! ACIDS! YOU WILL loving DIE!

You missed one

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My electricity story is that my stove in my old house had a control panel (all the buttons and the display) that had plastic clips fail so it fell backwards into the housing. I decided to fix it without turning off the oven, figuring it would be 12v at most. I touched something on the panel and got loving lit up, probably by 220V. I fell backwards onto the ground and had some convulsions. Thankfully, that was no permanent damage but I scared the poo poo out of my parents, my wife, and my dog.

I unplugged the unit, zip-tied the loving panel back in place, put everything back together and never touched it again.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nth Doctor posted:

You missed one
Most people don't know what bases are outside of baseball and further do not grasp that they are just as dangerous as acids.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nth Doctor posted:

You missed one

Eh, one will neutralize the other. Problem solved!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm not smiling. My face is fastened this way.

On Sunday I replaced the battery in my truck. Tightening down the terminal clamp on the negative terminal, I accidentally touched the back of the wrench to the positive terminal. I threw the wrench in the snow and stood there looking around for a few seconds, then decided the terminal clamp was tight enough. I had *specifically* told myself *not* to do *exactly* that, yet it happened. :downs:

My truck starts fine now.

That warning sign is probably in a lab that is normally occupied by people who can be described on paper as "Highly Qualified Personnel" though in reality there are as many idiots with advanced degrees as among the general population. Listing the exact names of the hazards on the sign that also says "don't eat here, don't use this as a desk" is a good idea.

Your average PhD student in Chemistry (or similar) is going to completely ignore anything that doesn't cause their brain to light up on certain key words. NaOH and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid should light up the brain in that case. Also, "eat" and "desk", because people in labs ABSOLUTELY do those things in the labs and other places where you should not do that. But grad student office space is a non-priority for the Department admin, so you'll park your laptop on the bench next to the pipettors and clear out one of the flammables storage cabinets (which will be full of aqueous solutions of horribleness, but nothing flammable - that poo poo's under the fume hood) for your backpack.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Speaking of electrocutions, this just happened up the road:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/01/man_dies_from_electrocution_wh.html

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ryanbruce posted:

Or that time where I was attempting to repair a camera flash with a (metal) jeweler's screwdriver. That's when I learned how a camera flash uses a huge loving capacitor to fire.

I discovered that when I was taking apart an old disc film camera to see how it worked, and the capacitor's leads touched my hand, causing me to throw it across the room reflexively.

So of course I did the logical thing and built a box to connect it to one of those big 6v lantern batteries (with a power switch and a button so I could activate the flash to discharge it), ran a pair of wires to the capacitor's leads, and attached them to a pair of old extendable TV antennas duct taped to the body of a broken phone's receiver. It eventually got confiscated at school, and as far as I know is still sitting in the back of a closet somewhere, with the wires cut so nobody hurts themselves on it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I was like 13, me and a friend of mine took a lamp cable and stripped the cable off the copper, then plugged the cable in the wall and touched the exposed cabling together.

We blew the gently caress out of that breaker but somehow didn't kill each other. Only 110v but gently caress that scared me straight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I was 14 in 9th grade science class, working on some kind of dumb electric circuit light bulb exercise, my lab partner took the suicide cord and wired it up to a pair of old rusty tongs, then handed it to me with a paper towel saying "hey could you hold this for a sec." I absentmindedly grabbed it while writing in my notebook, and my arm contracted so hard that I punched myself in the chest and gave myself a lemon-sized bruise that lasted a week.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

All this electricity talk has me worried.

What happens if I overfill my battery on my Nissan Leaf and spill raw electricity all over the ground?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

They make a pretty decent ad hoc taser if you remove the bulb and extend some leads.

Nothing more OSHA than dicking around with high-cap hijinks :science:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Beer_Suitcase posted:

What happens if I overfill my battery on my Nissan Leaf and spill raw electricity all over the ground?

Just remember to wear rubber gloves and boots when cleaning it up.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Lurking Haro posted:

Just remember to wear rubber gloves and boots when cleaning it up.

and make sure your glass rod and wool hide are fresh

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Have your cats roll around in it; they could certainly use some static electricity build-up

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Don't worry, once it grounds itself, it's fine.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
be aware that electricity can be transmitted over long distances and, if it enters the ground, can as an invasive species displace native species of electricity

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mozi posted:

be aware that electricity can be transmitted over long distances and, if it enters the ground, can as an invasive species displace native species of electricity

I've got a huge patch of DC infesting my backyard, any suggestions?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

Line your fence with capacitors so it can't pass.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Stick a fork in an outlet, wrap some copper around it, and run it intot he back yard. The problem will solve itself after that.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Arrhythmia posted:

Stick a fork in an outlet, wrap some copper around it, and run it intot he back yard. The problem will solve itself after that.

I'm stuck on the first step, my muscles have seized up and I can't move, and I smell barbecue. Advice? Please respond asap

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Mozi posted:

I'm gunna bring some 120V 60Hz down to my lodge in eastern straya and let it loose, should make for some lively hunting. I hear they don't have that down there.