Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

DreadLlama posted:

Does anyone else think it's an oversight that you can't build a nuclear reactor on the cyclops?

Nope. Feels pretty intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DreadLlama posted:

Does anyone else think it's an oversight that you can't build a nuclear reactor on the cyclops? Late-game you have the thermal and efficiency modules, so you end up with a bunch of extra power cells left over from mid-game when it was necessary to swap them constantly. A nuclear-powered option would be a nice stopgap.

I'd kill for a simple solar panel module. Just let me surface once in a while to recharge :smith:

edit: I used to cycle power cells up in my Seamoth for solar recharging, but now that the PRAWN exists, I don't have the luxury of toting the Seamoth around everywhere

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 30, 2018

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I guess this is an endgame spoiler.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

DreadLlama posted:

Does anyone else think it's an oversight that you can't build a nuclear reactor on the cyclops? Late-game you have the thermal and efficiency modules, so you end up with a bunch of extra power cells left over from mid-game when it was necessary to swap them constantly. A nuclear-powered option would be a nice stopgap.

You actually used to be able to build solar panels on the cyclops, I don't think nuclear reactors existed at the time. They removed it, so no it's not an oversight, it's 100% intentional.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Cyclops should at least connect to your power transmitters when you're near the base

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bhodi posted:

this is super likely something with the world state and you can hack around it by deleting your world cache:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/215439774865517173/
https://forums.unknownworlds.com/di...hat-dont-update

If that doesn't work, you can go into the console and note the blocks your bases are in, and delete all other blocks to reset the world as well, which is a bit more extreme (and will respawn everything in the world) but should definitely fix the crashes.

Thanks; the cache clearing didn't work, but how do I do the next suggestion? I took a look at the list of console commands on the wiki and I can't figure it out myself.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So is it possible to connect a scanning room to your habitat? Mine won’t link up and is just sort of floating off to the side.

Also, diving in the jellyshroom caves is terrifying. Those horrible eels were biting chunks out of it, then I had to get out to change the battery and I was like OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo. Glad I can repair it.

I built my main base right near the jellyshroom cave entrance and I finally got around to making it nice, with a bed and an aquarium to breed my own food and stuff.

This game rules. Now I need to go find some ruby and stalker teeth. Do I just kill the stalkers to get their teeth? How? I don’t want to go toe to toe with my teeny knife...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So is it possible to connect a scanning room to your habitat? Mine won’t link up and is just sort of floating off to the side.

Also, diving in the jellyshroom caves is terrifying. Those horrible eels were biting chunks out of it, then I had to get out to change the battery and I was like OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo. Glad I can repair it.

I built my main base right near the jellyshroom cave entrance and I finally got around to making it nice, with a bed and an aquarium to breed my own food and stuff.

This game rules. Now I need to go find some ruby and stalker teeth. Do I just kill the stalkers to get their teeth? How? I don’t want to go toe to toe with my teeny knife...

The stalkers collect scrap metal chunks and play with them, which cause their teeth to come out and fall to the ocean floor.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Scanner rooms will only connect on two of the sides; you have to rotate it until it connects. For getting Stalker teeth, they tend to drop after the Stalker picks up a metal salvage. You can also scan for them with your scanner room.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think the scanner room can only link to the base on two of its sides. Try rotating it 90 degrees and trying again.

The stalkers lose teeth (sometimes) when throwing wreckage around. There will be a crunch noise when they lose one. Once you've got the scanner room working then finding them becomes trivial.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zsinjeh posted:

Large cave diving tips: Beacons at large openings/points of interest but for me the most helpful was the sonar for the cyclops. Give it a couple of pulses and you'll get an outline of almost the entire cave.
Tryhardmode: Build a deep-sea scanner room and have it search for heatvents and beam that info to your hud, they usually line the seafloor and it'll give you a rough outline of where a cave opening is likely.

Yeah beacons are well situatated at transitions between areas, in the river especially it helps you remember which exits are in which direction.

Trustworthy posted:

I'd kill for a simple solar panel module. Just let me surface once in a while to recharge :smith:

edit: I used to cycle power cells up in my Seamoth for solar recharging, but now that the PRAWN exists, I don't have the luxury of toting the Seamoth around everywhere

You used to be able to literally build base solar panels on the cyclops, but they took that out cos it was too fun :v:

tjones
May 13, 2005
Make sure the connecting side of the base you are attempting to place your scanner room is clear of objects. You can also place it on top of multi purpose rooms and build its own outside hatch for access if need be.

tjones fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 30, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just built my first Cyclops and this thing is cool as gently caress. What should I actually do with it

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just built my first Cyclops and this thing is cool as gently caress. What should I actually do with it

Complain on message boards. Use it as a mobile base. Best thing to do is use it to ferry your prawn to an area you want to explore, since the prawn is pretty slow on its own. Add in a fabricator and some extra storage and you'll be all set for exploring the deepest areas of the game.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

From my limited experience, its main function seems to be getting stuck in narrow caves and catching fire when crabsquids chew on it.

Still worth using though, if nothing else it makes a good mobile transport platform for your undersea mech suit.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Eventually when it makes sense to you i would suggest moving all your materials, fabricator and modification station into it. You'll eventually take it so deep that going back to base is a huge chore and you'll have to craft stuff down there. Also plant some food in there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's got a lot of lockers on the bottom deck, and you can fit a growbed and a fabricator in it.

That's about it, really. It doesn't add much else over just the prawn suit with a few upgrades. Oh and it's destroyable.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Giving this another try after not touching it for a year. I managed to get a simple base set up with a scanner room, but it looks like I need the HUD upgrade to get the most out of it?

So is there an actual story progression line now? I've been getting the messages from the rescue ship (and I know that'll give me a beacon), but is that the next expected progression step?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Evil Mastermind posted:

Giving this another try after not touching it for a year. I managed to get a simple base set up with a scanner room, but it looks like I need the HUD upgrade to get the most out of it?

Yeah, the HUD upgrade really makes it shine, but even without it'll tell you where to go on the map inside the room.

quote:

So is there an actual story progression line now? I've been getting the messages from the rescue ship (and I know that'll give me a beacon), but is that the next expected progression step?

Yes, there is. Explore all signal locations you get, and search them thoroughly for PDAs, which can also contain locations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Magus42 posted:

Yes, there is. Explore all signal locations you get, and search them thoroughly for PDAs, which can also contain locations.
Okay, thanks. I've found Pods 3, 4, and 6 so far, and I'm deliberately trying to not just beeline to the islands for all the scans and plants.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I haven’t seen anyone posting about this in the past few pages, but does anyone else have an issue with their Bioreactor stopping producing output? Like I’ll come back to my base and it’ll have zero power and constantly be switching between 0 and 1 while on emergency mode, even though I have a full Bioreactor. The base isn’t even that big. One scanner room, one moon pool, some lockers, and a fabricator. The first time it happened, I deconstructed it then rebuilt it and it worked again for about an hour, then went back to failing to produce. :(. Now deconstructing it and rebuilding it doesn’t even fix it.

I don’t have Nuclear plans yet and I’m too far away from a Thermal vent, so I’ve built a giant tower of vertical connectors to the surface and have a solar farm up there. It’s dumb, but it’s the only consistent way to get power.

This is seriously the only issue I’ve had so far in this game. No crashes or glitches through the world. I’d like to play hardcore but I don’t want to lose everything to a stupid bug.

In other news, the scanner room is hotness. I built my first real base right by the entrance to the Jellyshroom Caves in the Red Grass Plateau area and got all the range modifiers installed for it. It was able to pick up Rubies, Lithium, Shale, Databanks, fragments, all sorts of goodies in the Jellyshroom caves and even the more northern parts of the Blood Kelp Trench. Super useful for early-mid game. What I’m doing now is loading up my Seamoth with the mats needed for a scanner room, a thermal/bioreactor, and a multipurpose room then hauling rear end to places at least 1km away from the main base. (Scanner room max range is 500m). They are little outposts I can use to find rarer materials, and if you position them correctly you can hit several biomes at once. I just set one up up by the Sea Treader’s Path and Underwater Islands to use.

This is quickly shaping up to become one of my favorite games. It hits all the right spots.

BattleMaster posted:

The stalkers collect scrap metal chunks and play with them, which cause their teeth to come out and fall to the ocean floor.

Protip: Gather a ton of metal scrap and put it all in a pile in one of the kelp forests near some Stalkers. They will move it around a bunch and drop teeth. You can hear them drop teeth because it makes a weird deep “ping” noise then they roar. What I did is throw down a big pile of metal scrap and then leave my nearby scanner room to scan for stalker teeth.

Bazanga fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 30, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So if I don't have a stasis rifle, what's my game plan when something the size of a house shows up and is really pissed off at me? Will they back off and get bored if I juke them enough? I know they don't turn as well as they sprint.

I think that's what stands out about Reapers. They feel like they hate you. You. Personally.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Night10194 posted:

So if I don't have a stasis rifle, what's my game plan when something the size of a house shows up and is really pissed off at me? Will they back off and get bored if I juke them enough? I know they don't turn as well as they sprint.

I think that's what stands out about Reapers. They feel like they hate you. You. Personally.

Just run, they don't have a infinite agro range. Leviathans have a much bigger one than weenies tho.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does the stasis rifle even work on things as big as the reaper?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

Yup!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

It's got a lot of lockers on the bottom deck, and you can fit a growbed and a fabricator in it.

That's about it, really. It doesn't add much else over just the prawn suit with a few upgrades. Oh and it's destroyable.

There are a few lockers but you can put a ton more.
http://tof.cx/images/2018/01/30/84e420dda25d54c3490aabeb055f0151.jpg

Upstairs you can have fabricator, plants, battery charger, and other base appliances.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Bazanga posted:

I haven’t seen anyone posting about this in the past few pages, but does anyone else have an issue with their Bioreactor stopping producing output? Like I’ll come back to my base and it’ll have zero power and constantly be switching between 0 and 1 while on emergency mode, even though I have a full Bioreactor. The base isn’t even that big. One scanner room, one moon pool, some lockers, and a fabricator. The first time it happened, I deconstructed it then rebuilt it and it worked again for about an hour, then went back to failing to produce. :(. Now deconstructing it and rebuilding it doesn’t even fix it.

Are you leaving the scanner going all the time? It consumes extra juice while running.

You could simply be draining more than you're producing.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
That's what I was thinking, but even if i turn the scanner off it never refills no matter how long I let it run for. I'll be more aware of it, though. Wish there was a simple "power/sec" reading somewhere in the base UI so I could figure it out.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm about 8 hours in, have a base going above the jellyfish cave and I'm already starting to feel bummed that there's no mods for this :(

tjones
May 13, 2005

Bazanga posted:

That's what I was thinking, but even if i turn the scanner off it never refills no matter how long I let it run for. I'll be more aware of it, though. Wish there was a simple "power/sec" reading somewhere in the base UI so I could figure it out.

Disconnect any batteries or power cells from chargers, disconnect any vehicles from moon pools, deconstruct any exterior spot lights and see if it still happens?

Water filtration systems too if you have them.

EDIT: I just re-read your original post and realized you probably don't have any of those things on your base. If so, sounds like it is bugged. Try different organic material maybe?

tjones fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 31, 2018

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I like the ebb and flow (heh) of this game. You'll be swimming/driving along, feeling like your going in circles, not finding any new fragments or resources. Then all of a sudden you find a cliff face with a wreck and lots of new stuff. Finally found the last moonpool fragment, so now I can get to upgrading the depth of the Seamoth. Also giving it a rad name.

Also, Reaper Leviathans still scare the poo poo out of me. I saw one off in the distance near a wreck but since it was far off I decided to scan some stuff. Suddenly, without any warning one takes a bite out of me for 75 HP or so. It is terrifying when you're running away from because you want to look back and see if it's following you, but you can't since that will slow you down.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 30, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, they are a good enemy, highly dangerous, their presence is telegraphed but the nature of the 3d space and the fog makes it hard to locate them precisely, and they have an entertaining habit of aggroing on you and closing distance without making any noise until they're about ready to eat you, and they occasionally occupy areas you need to enter and do other things in.

They're not especially dangerous if you are at liberty to keep an eye on them, but they become very dangerous when you're forced to divert your attention elsewhere. Considering a number of the design decisions in the game the reapers are honestly surprisingly well designed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can you outswim one? I remember them being faster than you but that was back in the days when you could carry multiple O2 tanks and it would slow you down.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You gotta hit their head though. It's mostly because of hitboxes, but I think it works because you need to freeze their brain functions to stop something that big.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

tjones posted:

Disconnect any batteries or power cells from chargers, disconnect any vehicles from moon pools, deconstruct any exterior spot lights and see if it still happens?

Water filtration systems too if you have them.

Good call, water filtration and lights take a surprising amount.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

So apparently people are already working on unofficial subnautica mods. Anyone tried them?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
what's an unofficial mod?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Wooper posted:

what's an unofficial mod?

Lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Google Butt posted:

So apparently people are already working on unofficial subnautica mods. Anyone tried them?

Not since release, but the multiplayer one showed a lot of promise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I got into this last weekend, and, oh boy, this game is fantastic. It's such a pleasure!

I do have a bit of fear of the ocean, so exploring the dark places feels iffy even now that I have a seamoth. I am just hunting for prawn construction ingredients and am hoping to beeline for the moonpool.

Any good newbie tips, folks?