Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

glynnenstein posted:

Do you have a bathroom under the stairs in your house?

UK plumbing is weird, but the previous joist notching sure looks like home.

Anybody who wants to sacrifice a pantry like that is weird. Pantries are great! (his plumbing is also weirder than your average UK plumbing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've got kids, I'd not be without a second toilet in the house, no matter how awesome a real pantry would be.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've got kids, I'd not be without a second toilet in the house, no matter how awesome a real pantry would be.

I've got a toilet in the bathroom (as per usual here) and another one just opposite. I don't have kids and I live by myself but it just feels great to have pooping options.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I remember in a Hannibal Burress special in scotland that he rented a place that had the toilet and sink/shower in opposite rooms

Poop over here, touch a bunch of doors, wash hands over there

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

moist turtleneck posted:

I remember in a Hannibal Burress special in scotland that he rented a place that had the toilet and sink/shower in opposite rooms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilA_AJF6Hec

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

The sink in the toilet toilet is so tiny it's hard for an adult to wash their hands in it. Then again it has a bidet shower head so it's the pro pooping choice.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are those things connected to the hot or the cold or a thermostatic valve?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

moist turtleneck posted:

I lived in a house in college that was like this for the 1st floor bathroom. Best I could figure out was that there was a 1/2 bath that they converted to have a tub and sink, then they found a closet they could add a toilet to. It was annoying, but there were six people living in the house, so it was still a better option than having six people all use one shower.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are those things connected to the hot or the cold or a thermostatic valve?

They're connected to the tap - i.e. a mixer. I think this picture explains it:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Lol exactly the same with a mechanic's car.

I wanted dedicated not-switched 12V to the trunk of my car to run some relays for trailer wiring. Now, the proper way would be to route a cable myself from the battery on back, with a fuse of the appropriate size and proper looming, along with proper wire termination and labeling.

Now, since my car is an old cop car, instead I dug out the cut-off ends of the wiring loom that the cop shop left behind when cutting out all of the police equipment. I found a wire that looked thick enough, and traced it up to the no-longer-used police equipment fusebox. Through random poking with a multimeter, I found the empty fuse slot that matched with that hacked wire in the equipment loom. I open palm slammed a random fuse from the literal pile of fuses that came with the car into that slot, and confirmed that 12v was present at the end of that sheared-off wire in the trunk. (when I did this, a secondary bulb underneath the headlights flashed once and the car made a beep from somewhere under the hood, but :shrug:) Using that sheared-off 4 gauge wire in the trunk, I shaved down some copper so my crimp-on terminals would fit, crimped a terminal on, and wrapped the whole shebang (that is entirely too close to the gas tank firewall) in some self-sealing silicone tape and called it a day. I threw some spare fuses in a baggie next to the one I used under the hood in the equipment fusebox (that is missing it's weatherproof lid, mind you) and called it a day. If there's an issue with the trailer wiring when I use it, or something shakes loose and starts shorting, or a siren or lights start going off while I'm driving, it'll either blow that fuse or I know which one to pull, since it's the only one there.

Conceptually, everything works as it should, and is technically fused and proper. Execution-wise? A horrorshow. I don't even know where that boa-constrictor of cop loom runs physically in the car, or if there are any other taps from that big cable that I used that may then be hanging loose, ready to short over a big bump. :effort:

What's worse is when an electrical engineer gets hold of a car. A lot of stuff that makes sense in an industrial or other setting is completely odd in a car.

My P71 had a terminal block in the right hand side of the trunk, behind the mouse fur carpeting for 12V and ground. Uses one of the 20 or 30A fuses up under the hood. Probably what you used, but cut loose from the factory terminal. Fortunately, mine is very un-hacked. They either didn't put much equipment in it, or actually used the factory plugs, for a wonder.

edit: 'Dis ting here:
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2929652

edit 2: I saw the typo above ("ting"), and just decided to go full throttle on that.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 30, 2018

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Point taken. Though I would be building an extension outside to house trap#2 before losing the pantry!

Looking through the rest of his photos where they look into the kitchen it looks like he has already extended or knocked through 2 rooms to make a massive kitchen. Smaller kitchen with a Pantry and a toilet would have been a better choice ;)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Here's the fun part: I have that connector, but they sliced those wires for that connector about six inches away from the terminals and clearly reverse-hacked-in their own wire loom to it. I was so excited to have a 30A 12V source in the trunk but after discovering this bumblefuckery I traced the wire from the fuse itself under the hood, to the firewall, and then to about six inches past the firewall in the passenger side running board where it's been electrical-taped off :psyduck: The wire they hacked into that stock terminal block is the same 4 gauge wire I was talking about that's run in the police-equipment wiring loom from the add-on fusebox on the passenger side under the hood.

They even cut the ground wire. It just runs up to a bolt about a foot away and the loving sliced it :psyduck: :psyduck:

Here's the best MSPAINT approximation to what I think happened:

E: VVV Yes you should. I put an LED light panel in the trunk in place of the stock tiny bulb and it's a hundred times better than it was. If I lost 60 pounds I'm pretty sure I could live in that trunk with the lighting and space it has.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 30, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Tomarse posted:

Point taken. Though I would be building an extension outside to house trap#2 before losing the pantry!

Looking through the rest of his photos where they look into the kitchen it looks like he has already extended or knocked through 2 rooms to make a massive kitchen. Smaller kitchen with a Pantry and a toilet would have been a better choice ;)

Why not just put a toilet in your pantry? The future is dual-use rooms.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My family has a farm property and attached to the garage is a bunk house that used to house hired men during harvest. The toilet and shower are in the kitchen. There is a cutting board that folds out over the toilet when the toilet is not in use. The tiny bedroom has bunks for 6 people.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Why not just put a toilet in your pantry? The future is dual-use rooms.

Farm to table, shelf to bowl.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook knows what I like, and actually found some content that is fresh, at least to me, with a few that are extra relevant at the moment.

As contoured doors go, this one may be the least offensive we've seen in a while.

("For in-door use only"

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
The previous owner of my house has made some incredibly dumb choices. On my hot water line in a two foot section of copper pipe there were 4 couplings one of which started leaking. There is also no water shut off on the hot water heater. The supply duct off the furnace was also capped on one end with cardboard that was covered up with duct tape. The inspector somehow missed that. We’ve also got 2x4s randomly screwed across the bottoms of joists in the basement. I would think they were doing something but they are held in with single screws. Free lumber is free lumber though.

Don’t know if it has been mentioned before but I just started watching Canada’s Worst Handyman on Netflix. While I hate the previous owner of my house I’m grateful it wasn’t one of these people. Highlights so far include 80 inches being 8 foot, hammering in screws, using copper wire instead of screws to secure boards, and a Canadian named Tex.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Facebook knows what I like, and actually found some content that is fresh, at least to me, with a few that are extra relevant at the moment.

As contoured doors go, this one may be the least offensive we've seen in a while.

("For in-door use only"

I love all of these thank you.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Don’t know if it has been mentioned before but I just started watching Canada’s Worst Handyman on Netflix. While I hate the previous owner of my house I’m grateful it wasn’t one of these people. Highlights so far include 80 inches being 8 foot, hammering in screws, using copper wire instead of screws to secure boards, and a Canadian named Tex.

I love that show and wish there was more of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

One of the episodes of Roadkill (a YouTube series about a couple of wrench-heads doing horrible things to cars) has one of the guys going "I need to connect power out to this thing in the back of the car, but my wire's not long enough to reach the junction. So I'm going to strip the insulation from the middle of my source wire, splice a new wire in (creating a T-junction), then wrap the entire thing in copious amounts of electrical tape. I know the rules, which means I can break them."

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Magnus Praeda posted:

I love that show and wish there was more of it.

I would watch a whole show of Joe "The Bullet" Barbaro smashing things

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The best episode of Roadkill is when they bought the ramp truck. Because their fuel pump dies on the side of the road, and when they open the gloxebox there are a lot of fuses. One of them mentions "it's never a good sign when you find a lot of spare fuses in the gloxebox of a used car" and they proceed to use them all during the trip. That may be the exact same episode as the "stripping the middle of a wire for a T-junction" maneuver, something which I have also done and then forgotten about for six months.

While watching it, I was trying to sell my 72 ACVW beetle, and was at the same time working on my 73 ACVW bus. Both of them had both spare wire and numerous fuses in the gloxeboxes :thunk:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

The previous owner of my house has made some incredibly dumb choices. On my hot water line in a two foot section of copper pipe there were 4 couplings one of which started leaking. There is also no water shut off on the hot water heater. The supply duct off the furnace was also capped on one end with cardboard that was covered up with duct tape. The inspector somehow missed that. We’ve also got 2x4s randomly screwed across the bottoms of joists in the basement. I would think they were doing something but they are held in with single screws. Free lumber is free lumber though.

I could see as a Canadian brought up metric but being exposed to imperial due to construction stuff thinking 80 inches = 8 feet because it would be insane otherwise. My poor wife still has a lot of problems with that sort of thing. 10'5" means ten and half feet right? This measurement is 2 inches plus 4 little sub-inch things so it's 2.4 inches right?

It's absolutely insane if you weren't brought up in it. I had to learn it when I got into construction/architecture and I still get hosed up on it if I don't have a CAD program to convert things for me. 5' 10" plus 18 1/2" plus 1 1/16" inches? Yeah I'm going to need a computer for that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Here's the fun part: I have that connector, but they sliced those wires for that connector about six inches away from the terminals and clearly reverse-hacked-in their own wire loom to it. I was so excited to have a 30A 12V source in the trunk but after discovering this bumblefuckery I traced the wire from the fuse itself under the hood, to the firewall, and then to about six inches past the firewall in the passenger side running board where it's been electrical-taped off :psyduck: The wire they hacked into that stock terminal block is the same 4 gauge wire I was talking about that's run in the police-equipment wiring loom from the add-on fusebox on the passenger side under the hood.

They even cut the ground wire. It just runs up to a bolt about a foot away and the loving sliced it :psyduck: :psyduck:

Here's the best MSPAINT approximation to what I think happened:

:psyduck:

Dollars to donuts (heh) the outfitter had a install scheme that they'd been following for a decade or better, and just didn't change it when Ford made all the wiring and power points easily accessible. Why change? (because it would save you hours running new wire, you dolt.)
Thank God mine isn't chewed up like that. My amplifier is running off of that power point, and I used the switched and battery 12 volt leads under the glove box to power a voltmeter, socket, and USB outlets in my center console.
That reminds me, I should add an LED light panel in there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I love all of these thank you.

Baronjutter posted:

I could see as a Canadian brought up metric but being exposed to imperial due to construction stuff thinking 80 inches = 8 feet because it would be insane otherwise. My poor wife still has a lot of problems with that sort of thing. 10'5" means ten and half feet right? This measurement is 2 inches plus 4 little sub-inch things so it's 2.4 inches right?

It's absolutely insane if you weren't brought up in it. I had to learn it when I got into construction/architecture and I still get hosed up on it if I don't have a CAD program to convert things for me. 5' 10" plus 18 1/2" plus 1 1/16" inches? Yeah I'm going to need a computer for that.

That's a fair way of looking at it.
I like metric, ever since they tried to teach it to us way back in grade school, but damned if sticking to Imperial isn't like a matter of national pride or something. Just having a nice small measurement (mm) that's a whole number is handy, not to mention the whole powers of ten thing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I like metric, ever since they tried to teach it to us way back in grade school, but damned if sticking to Imperial isn't like a matter of national pride or something. Just having a nice small measurement (mm) that's a whole number is handy, not to mention the whole powers of ten thing.

I'm designing a staircase right now and it's Really Fun because I work mostly in metric, all the building regulations are in metric, but all the guides and recommendations are American so they're in inches, and all the construction materials used to be sold in imperial but have often now been translated into metric so yes please sell me a piece of wood a nominal 297.4mm wide.

Plumbing in this country is doublefucked for the same reason because some pipe is still sold in imperial sizes but others have been rounded to metric so you're left trying to connect a 40mm pipe to a 1½" fitting.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 30, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
AND LET'S NOT GET INTO NOMINAL PIPE THREAD

gently caress NPT.

Go to ebay listing, looking for a 1/4" brass tee fitting for a fuel line.

"Aha, yes, this will work just dandy, and is extremely cheap to boot." (the photo doesn't give any size references THIS IS FORESHADOWING)

You know how this ends.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 30, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AND LET'S NOT GET INTO NOMINAL PIPE THREAD

gently caress NPT.

I would say you should convert to british standard pipe like the rest of the world but they're also bad and confusing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I wanted dedicated not-switched 12V to the trunk of my car to run some relays for trailer wiring. Now, the proper way would be to route a cable myself from the battery on back, with a fuse of the appropriate size and proper looming, along with proper wire termination and labeling.

Now, since my car is an old cop car, instead I dug out the cut-off ends of the wiring loom that the cop shop left behind when cutting out all of the police equipment. I found a wire that looked thick enough, and traced it up to the no-longer-used police equipment fusebox. Through random poking with a multimeter, I found the empty fuse slot that matched with that hacked wire in the equipment loom. I open palm slammed a random fuse from the literal pile of fuses that came with the car into that slot, and confirmed that 12v was present at the end of that sheared-off wire in the trunk. (when I did this, a secondary bulb underneath the headlights flashed once and the car made a beep from somewhere under the hood, but :shrug:) Using that sheared-off 4 gauge wire in the trunk, I shaved down some copper so my crimp-on terminals would fit, crimped a terminal on, and wrapped the whole shebang (that is entirely too close to the gas tank firewall) in some self-sealing silicone tape and called it a day. I threw some spare fuses in a baggie next to the one I used under the hood in the equipment fusebox (that is missing it's weatherproof lid, mind you) and called it a day. If there's an issue with the trailer wiring when I use it, or something shakes loose and starts shorting, or a siren or lights start going off while I'm driving, it'll either blow that fuse or I know which one to pull, since it's the only one there.

Conceptually, everything works as it should, and is technically fused and proper. Execution-wise? A horrorshow. I don't even know where that boa-constrictor of cop loom runs physically in the car, or if there are any other taps from that big cable that I used that may then be hanging loose, ready to short over a big bump. :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngx49x5_c9s&t=163s

This one makes me uncomfortable: that compressor draws 17A and it seems wrong to just splice it into a random power feed in the B pillar.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

No one wants to change all those road signs. Imperial is nice because a base- 12 system is evenly divisible 2,3, and 4, but everything else about it is a goddamn mess. How many hands to a foot?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's how I like it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

there wolf posted:

Imperial is nice because a base- 12 system is evenly divisible 2,3, and 4

What does that even mean?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

What does that even mean?

You can divide it into 2, 3 or 4 parts easily, so you can easily use a half, a third or a quarter, but a tenth was a bridge too far when they designed it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

You can divide it into 2, 3 or 4 parts easily, so you can easily use a half, a third or a quarter, but a tenth was a bridge too far when they designed it.

Of what? Give us an example, please. (You know fractions work in the civilized world as well?)

e: I mean I know what base 12 means but I'm not American or Liberian or whatever so I have no idea how that relates to the so-called imperial units.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 31, 2018

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

there wolf posted:

No one wants to change all those road signs. Imperial is nice because a base- 12 system is evenly divisible 2,3, and 4, but everything else about it is a goddamn mess. How many hands to a foot?

Three, because a hand is four inches. My parents have had horses my entire life. Unless there's another 'hand' measurement that is NOT used in livestock which wouldn't surprise me.

Also remember that there are professions in the United States that use decimal feet. 1.4 feet, etc.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Of what? Give us an example, please. (You know fractions work in the civilized world as well?)

e: I mean I know what base 12 means but I'm not American or Liberian or whatever so I have no idea how that relates to the so-called imperial units.

Land surveying used to use it, and a lot of the stuff is silly, but if you get to the end it isn’t good, just less bad.

An acre is 10 square chains, which are 66 feet long, but are comprised of 100, 7.92 inch links (66 feet/100 links). There are 640 acres in a square mile, also called a section in the US Public Lands Survey Sustem which was used for most land west of the 13 original colonies and east of places where Spanish/Mexican rancho grants were prevalent. At the same time, a linear mile is 80 linear chains, so you can do your halving and doubling there.

The PLSS had townships of 36 sections, and sections were subsequently sold off. A section comprised a square mile, which was way too big, so it would be sold as half sections, quarter sections, half quarter sections, or even quarter quarter sections (40 acres). If you see legal descriptions in the US you can end up with SW 1/4 of the SW quarter of section 5 township 420 range 69 of whichever principal meridian and know how big that parcel is before adjusting for the earth’s curvature.

As I said, not a good reason, but a less bad one.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Source

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

:stonk:

H... how is this still standing

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011
So, I know it's come up in this thread before, but I can't seem to find the page. I need some recommendations for LED lamps to use in pot lights. The lamps sit in cans in an insulated ceiling space and they seems to be over-heating and dying super fast. About 6 months ago we changed from CFL, but the LEDs are already failing.

We're using SAL 9w at the moment, but I'm hoping there's something that lasts a bit longer. The major issue is probably that the fitting is quite small and a 40mm wide lamp fits in with only a tiny bit of clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

quote:

This one needs some zip ties holding the post to the bolt.