Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

I've said Shart Shitizen before.

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
so when there are only whales playing p2win games what does that make you moma?
no one to boss around, or mop the floor. pray tell how do you hot tub then?

intardnation fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 30, 2018

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The Saddest Robot posted:

Christopher Roberts has 17 shell identities, including:

Christopher Roberts
Christopher Roberts, LLC
Christopher Roberts, Inc
Christopher Roberts Industries
Chrislopher Roberts
Chrislopher Roberts UK
Chrislopher Roberts UK LLC
Chrislopher Roberts UK, Inc
Chrislopher Roberts Induslories

Streetroller is suing the wrong person.

You forgot Christopher Robert, S of Robert Space Industries. Not to be confused with Christopher Roberts of Roberts Pace Industries. I think they make salsa.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Renegret posted:

did we get an explanation on why Robert's name is botched so badly on the paperwork

New Jersey is the explanation. No other explanation is required.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Glad to see the thread is going to take another clusterfuck of a turn.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Hav posted:

It's part of their very being. Part of Maslow's hierarchy of needs is 'belonging', the concept of being in a group, or otherwise supported by people that accept you for you. Star Citizen has become a symbol of that need to belong to something bigger than themselves. I'm not pointing fingers, either, everyone has causes of differing levels of objective importance, but the reason why people will normalize, explain or otherwise attempt to minimize the impact of something is because they're invested emotionally; ignoring the obvious financial entanglements, protecting the self is what people go to the mat for.

It's actually kind of fun to watch, but I get the sheer bone crushing stupidity of attempting to defend someone/something that there is no actual connection with other than a fondly held belief.

The reverence is a blind; it means nothing. If someone else popped up and offered them the same level of agency in their second-life knock-off, they'd pivot in a minute.

There are people involved as well who know better but are directing the delusion on purpose.
That's the great thing about this, it's not just that it's a scam, Star Citizen is an ecosystem of scams. It's an inverted pyramid resting on all the things CIG has direct control of. Above that, your digital marketers ply their trade with fake fan sites (donate to our Patreon!) and probably social media vote factories (good job donating to our Patreon!). There's also the youtube guys who tell bedtime stories about the dream (oh, and here's a link to my Patreon!) or rail against the boogeymen (who will win unless you pay your guild fees on my Patreon!). And who could forget the gray marketeers who definitely have no financial incentive to lie about the state of the game or to attempt to trick people by using alt accounts? And finally kick back and watch the streamers who are superhumanly determined to put their heads through this brick wall so long as you consider subscribing or donating to their Patreons!

I want to feel bad for the victims of this thing, and sometimes I do, but the nature of it kinda makes them all complicit. Except for the sad seal man, he's cool.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

did we get an explanation on why Robert's name is botched so badly on the paperwork

Welcome to America!

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Renegret posted:

Fixed, for the most part. Naming order is only their online system so it's irrelevant, they say.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Streetroller posted:

Fixed, for the most part. Naming order is only their online system so it's irrelevant, they say.

If I'm not mistaken--Christopher is his first name, Roberts the last?

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

HycoCam posted:

If I'm not mistaken--Christopher is his first name, Roberts the last?

Yes, but when they change it in the system... The case title reads " VS ROBERTS CHRISTOPHER".
Pick your poison. Apparently.
They said it makes no difference.
:negative:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Space Industries Robert

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

intardnation posted:

so when there are only whales playing p2win games what does that make you moma?
no one to boss around, or mop the floor. pray tell how do you hot tub then?

NPCs, of course. CiG has been hinting at this forever. At first glance, I didn't understand the idea of having lots of autonomous AI NPCs in a massively multiplayer game. Why would you want NPCs consuming bandwidth that could have been used for a player?

If the MVP gets made, few will play, and no one will work for the whales. They will have to play with their dolls. Some good prototypes were shown in the SQ42 demo such as deferential black man, cowed mop guy and restrained woman. The possibilities are endless.

e. Mark Hamill is mean to the player in the trailer, but you just know he's either going to 1) Die or 2) Get captured and the player rescues him. At some point making an impassioned speech about how you are the best WING COMMANDER EVER! (and should totally buy an Idris)

e2. Oh God I hope whales can rent Mark Hamill to fly a fighter in the PU. And in the first battle he dies in 5 seconds by crashing into an asteroid.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 30, 2018

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Things are heating up in the Oculus subreddit :allears:

quote:

If you think this is going to get released any time during the next 2-3 years then I'll have a pint of whatever it is that you're drinking lol.

It's been quite clear for quite some time now that they've bitten off WAY more than they can chew. It simply won't get finished.

Crytek are currently taking them to court and I hope that Crytek take them to the cleaners. What these developers have done with this game is pretty disgraceful imo, at least if Crytek win they'll use the money to develop and release an actual game rather than spend it on more hookers, beer, drugs and another sci-fi loving door.

I'm glad I only wasted £36 or so on this game but there are some people that have spent THOUSANDS.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Streetroller posted:

Her last name isn't Roberts, though. I doubt this matters enormously, but it might make a difference. Nobody's ever tried to sue me under my husband's last name, because I live a pure and good life, because my husband hasn't been a co-conspirator in any of my shenanigans, but the person you are suing is named Gardiner, legally.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 30, 2018

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

Her last name isn't Roberts, though. I doubt this matters enormously, but it might make a difference. Nobody's ever tried to sue me under my husband's last name, because I live a pure and good life, because my husband hasn't been a co-conspirator in any of my shenanigans, but the person you are suing is named Gardiner, legally.

If any of what you said does hold water, I'll cross that bridge when we get there. I doubt the judge would be impressed at that point, though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is “tortured woman” the first female character we’ve seen in Squadron 42 outside of that mechanic lady from the early intro

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:yarg: :gary:

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?
The not being able to keep ships you stole reveal is hilarious.

Tokamak posted:

Hi Seraph

Lmao unfortunately Seraph is too busy pretending to be a millionaire in the gbs buttcoin thread to reply to you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Doomtrain posted:

Lmao unfortunately Seraph is too busy pretending to be a millionaire in the gbs buttcoin thread to reply to you.

Not anymore. :getin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

I have no loving idea, I asked in chat if any of this was in game and the consensus was predictably a negative on that, none of that is in the game

The video shows all the concept art and Tony starts off by saying it's almost done and coming after shopping, then goes into all that detail as if it is a real thing that exists that they have built - when in fact it's just another load of lies to get mentally retarded complete loving idiots who I have run out of sympathy for to part with money so Chris can stick it up his nose and his wife can fund her failed Holywood career whilst snorting lines off a $1,000 table paid for with fraud, deception, lies and outright blatant scamming bullshit.

https://vimeo.com/137655209

:allears:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Eh? Does anyone know what procedural animations are is?

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

Good probation, Beet. I only caught on a couple days ago myself.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Streetroller posted:

Yes, but when they change it in the system... The case title reads " VS ROBERTS CHRISTOPHER".
Pick your poison. Apparently.
They said it makes no difference.
:negative:

It doesn't, it's a filing system.

Ponzi posted:

Eh? Does anyone know what procedural animations are is?

First, you have to imagine a guy walking up and down stairs, except no, he's moving up a ramp....

Short answer is that they have the same kinematics system as the UBI open worlders, but they made a really big deal out of being able to run around on rough terrain and have the guys feet move over and around obstacles. Of course, they showed someone aiming and stepping backwards across rough ground...

Preen Dog posted:

*restrained woman.*

At least they know their audience.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2018

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Doomtrain posted:

The not being able to keep ships you stole reveal is hilarious.

I love that this goes all the way back to the beginning:

-We need money! How about we sell ships?
-Well if we sell in ships, we have to make them expensive so that we can actually fund the game.
-Well if they are expensive, people are going to want to make sure that they don't lose their monetary investment. How about life time insurance?
-Well if every ship we pre-sell lasts forever, what happens when a ship gets stolen? gently caress it, we'll worry about that later. Let's just get the money now and deal with the technical issues down the line.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

hot balls man no homo posted:

I love that this goes all the way back to the beginning:

-We need money! How about we sell ships?
-Well if we sell in ships, we have to make them expensive so that we can actually fund the game.
-Well if they are expensive, people are going to want to make sure that they don't lose their monetary investment. How about life time insurance?
-Well if every ship we pre-sell lasts forever, what happens when a ship gets stolen? gently caress it, we'll worry about that later. Let's just get the money now and deal with the technical issues down the line.

Pretty sure CIG stopped thinking at line 1.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

On the other hand, he appears to have actually taken Chris Roberts to court instead of just threatening to for the last 3 years

Except I never threatened to take Chris Roberts to court. :colbert:

----------------

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
#ISitWithStreetroller

D_Smart posted:

I guess you win because nobody can be bothered to look through 3,000,000 words in 12,000 posts to find out if you were specifically talking about suing Chris Roberts the 50+ times you've talked about being involved with potential lawsuits, guaranteeing legal action or begging for Chris Roberts to sue you while fantasizing about suing him.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 30, 2018

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
For anyone worried . Ben's ok. He just chilling on his Sand barge

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Renegret posted:

Nope. Also, I was the one who had told him to add Sandi Roberts to the suit since they were married. As the actual filing isn't online, there is no way to tell if he had the incorrect spelling, or if that was just a bored court clerk doing what they do.

After our altercation on Discord, he rage-quit my server. I didn't even know about it until I tried sending him this message, and got the notification.

quote:

I hope you realize that you're being a spoiled brat. You are welcome to the server at any time, and it would be a loss to see you leave because of bullshit. We rage, fuss and fight among ourselves. We're Goons, it's what we do. So I don't know why you take things so personally.

Grow a pair, man up, and get with the program.

----------------

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Derek's secret squirrel Discord channel is basically his version of a Developer title at CIG.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Has Montoya been served with his lawsuit yet?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's false. They're married. It's Roberts in the marriage cert.

----------------

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That's not weird at all.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

Has Montoya been served with his lawsuit yet?

Fourteen days.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

REQUEST:

A plaintext list of all unimplemented features/promises, broken or otherwise.

TYIA

e. Also, if anyone has a timeline of missed deadlines, that'd be awesome too.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
On this day in thread history

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=531#post468871345

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/08/derek-smart-threatens-to-sue-star-citizen-developers-unless-they-meet-his-demands/

http://www.pcgamer.com/derek-smart-threatens-legal-action-against-cloud-imperium-games-over-star-citizen/

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/17/derek-smart-has-fresh-demands-for-star-citizen-threatens-to-take-drama-to-the-new-york-times/

https://www.mmorpg.com/star-citizen/news/smart-enlists-legal-team-threatens-class-action-lawsuit-1000036059

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol