Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Update: Apparently the third vendor's proposal was over budget. And I've been informed the TeamDynamix presentation, while well delivered, suffered by being after the ServiceNow presentation. SN was lots of "Yep, it does that" while TD was "Well, it can be made to do that."

So later this year we're becoming a ServiceNow shop.

Ugh, I am so sorry. ServiceNow is a very capable product with an absolute shitload of features, most of which are correctly implemented, but it's an absolutely massive pain in the rear end to use and it definitely seems like everything is far more difficult and complicated than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mewse posted:

I followed this tutorial for my debian VPS to set up a robust email system with roundcube webmail, I've been really happy with it.

Back when I ran my own personal email server I used an older version of this guide and can confirm it's pretty great.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Has anyone here ever had to maintain documentation in 2 Confluences that is slightly different because of who the reporting structure is for it. I'm spinning up a new cloud for our organization that follows the patterns of our main cloud business but this one is the new "shared" one for the whole company and has adopted all of our procedures. Ideally I'd like to use the Markdown plugin on both and have the documents live in code but I don't have a good way to update them on Confluence. I'm thinking I can make a Jenkins job that updates these pages on PR merge so the drift is kept to a minimum. The documents will be 99% the same but the new cloud has some added Security requirements and will be a little harder to get access.

Am I setting myself up for serious pain?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Virigoth posted:

Am I setting myself up for serious pain?

Yes, that sounds terrible and my proposed fix would be to do whatever is necessary to not need to do what you're describing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
All that you need to do is maintain a third Confluence to track the differences between the first two! :pseudo:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
my god print servers are fantastic

For context, our entire office is using TCP/IP printers added via .vbs scripts from a network share, and it's just loving awful. They're a mess of different xerox versions and it's all just a huge pile of poo poo to troubleshoot and deal with.

Within the last 4 hours or so I spun up a new print server, added and shared some printers, added them via GPP with item-level targeting to restrict to some new AD security groups and it all just works.

Like there were a couple dumb config changes, but there was no digging through logs, no troubleshooting network communication issues, no loving about on the core switch, it just worked! On my first try! We can manage printer settings remotely, we've just eliminated a big helpdesk item at the drop of the hat, we have automatic driver instllation, ahhh everything is amazing.

I think I'm in love.

Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to restrict one floor from printing to another floor's printers. They're all on separate VLANs so that worked when we were just direct adding the printers, but obviously that doesn't work when it's the server making the actual print request.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dick Trauma posted:

All that you need to do is maintain a third Confluence to track the differences between the first two! :pseudo:

This is the solution I’m going with. Thanks Dick!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Iron Rose posted:

For context, our entire office is using TCP/IP printers added via .vbs scripts from a network share, and it's just loving awful. They're a mess of different xerox versions and it's all just a huge pile of poo poo to troubleshoot and deal with.

Within the last 4 hours or so I spun up a new print server, added and shared some printers, added them via GPP with item-level targeting to restrict to some new AD security groups and it all just works.

Like there were a couple dumb config changes, but there was no digging through logs, no troubleshooting network communication issues, no loving about on the core switch, it just worked! On my first try! We can manage printer settings remotely, we've just eliminated a big helpdesk item at the drop of the hat, we have automatic driver instllation, ahhh everything is amazing.

I think I'm in love.

Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to restrict one floor from printing to another floor's printers. They're all on separate VLANs so that worked when we were just direct adding the printers, but obviously that doesn't work when it's the server making the actual print request.

I think this would probably be a routing table update but I'm sure a goon more versed in networking would give you the best answer.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Interview with the law firm went really well I feel. Definitely just let my personality shine and received a warm reaction in turn. Solo IT guy is a big move for me that would put me out of my comfort zone, but it is an opportunity I think I could thrive at. Building your own kingdom when they are unhappy with their current environment sounds fun.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

I think I'm in love.

Yes, they are pretty awesome if you are not terrible with them. You'll inevitably run into some issues that will need to be sorted out and things can get fairly complex depending on your setup, but much better than locally added printers.

Without knowing more details, I won't speak to the networking side of things as far as options go, but you can also change the security rights on the printer objects themselves to match the AD security groups that are deploying. That way, no one who isn't in the group can use the printer.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

I think I'm in love.

People like to say gently caress printers, but barring driver issues, Microsofts print server has been pretty good for a decade now.

quote:

Unless you want to constantly manage security group membership, your best option is through ACL's

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Iron Rose posted:

Sorry bud, they involve printers. Therefore they are giant pieces of poo poo.

You can't put ACLs on your network gear to prevent people printing - since the communication is from the client to the print server, and then to the printer. You can screw around with location aware printing though, or deploy printers via Group Policy based on security group membership.

I guess if you're a sadist you can have a WMI filter looking at the client IP subnet.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 30, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Well what about... uh. No he's right. Printers are poo poo

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

You can't put ACLs on your network gear to prevent people printing - since the communication is from the client to the print server, and then to the printer. You can screw around with location aware printing though, or deploy printers via Group Policy based on security group membership.

I guess if you're a sadist you can have a WMI filter looking at the client IP subnet.

We pondered using IP address filtering at one point or another, but it always seemed, y'know, atrocious. That said, why not use item-level filtering for this as well? It's baked right in to the GPP.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Have you considered the environment before printing this post?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Unless it's an actual problem I just wouldn't bother. Just make sure people have the correct default printer set and it won't be an issue.

I would recommend installing a print tracking software like PaperCut NG though. Lets you easily find the printer hogs if requested.

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, I am so sorry. ServiceNow is a very capable product with an absolute shitload of features, most of which are correctly implemented, but it's an absolutely massive pain in the rear end to use and it definitely seems like everything is far more difficult and complicated than it should be.
We talked about this earlier, but ServiceNow is a product which comes with every bell and whistle enabled out of the box (and a completely horrendous UI to go with it). Your first job after installing it is to go through the configuration and disable every feature that you don't explicitly need. Then go through the templates and remove every field that isn't absolutely necessary. Have as few mandatory fields as possible, and where possible have fields auto-fill. It's quite a bit of work to set up properly, but it gets easier if you start from a minimal setup and add fields and features as you discover an actual need for them, rather than trying to configure everything from the start.

You'll also want to edit the templates so they're more user friendly and probably want to theme them to your organisation anyway.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 30, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If people are printing to the wrong place then have virtual queues and release stations next to each printer. I mean if you want to go all-in on printer stuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Unless it's an actual problem I just wouldn't bother. Just make sure people have the correct default printer set and it won't be an issue.

I would recommend installing a print tracking software like PaperCut NG though. Lets you easily find the printer hogs if requested.

We talked about this earlier, but ServiceNow is a product which comes with every bell and whistle enabled out of the box (and a completely horrendous UI to go with it). Your first job after installing it is to go through the configuration and disable every feature that you don't explicitly need. Then go through the templates and remove every field that isn't absolutely necessary. Have as few mandatory fields as possible, and where possible have fields auto-fill. It's quite a bit of work to set up properly, but it gets easier if you start from a minimal setup and add fields and features as you discover an actual need for them, rather than trying to configure everything from the start.

You'll also want to edit the templates so they're more user friendly and probably want to theme them to your organisation anyway.

Not only is the above true, you'll probably need to contract a programmer *and* someone conversant with ServiceNOW to implement it. And be prepared to have them on contingency to field any calls and after prod changes that crop up from time to time.

When we implemented it, it was a whole project push to define needs and features wanted ahead of time. It worked out well for the most part. Just little tweaks here and there for the next few weeks. We've had it in prod for a little over a year and we're very happy with the result.

It's a good system, but be prepared for a lot of heavy lifting up front. And possible money to throw at consultants to help you get it to productions.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The owner of my company is well into his old age and had me come down to his office today to discuss bitcoin with him for 45 minutes.

:negative:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
We have actual SharePoint Admins. I think we’ll be able to get ServiceNow wrangled. It’s supposed to be rolled out July. Lots of time to hammer it in to shape.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bitcoin is a rube's game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kashuno posted:

The owner of my company is well into his old age and had me come down to his office today to discuss bitcoin with him for 45 minutes.

:negative:

If anybody asked me about cryptocurrencies I would just start in on a whole thing about what stocks they should buy instead. I'm equally as qualified to discuss both investment vehicles.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Bitcoin would have been great if i hadn't blown multiple coins on pizza before it took off.

Oh well, that's a shame.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Bitcoin is a great commodity to get involved with if you're good at grift.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We have actual SharePoint Admins. I think we’ll be able to get ServiceNow wrangled. It’s supposed to be rolled out July. Lots of time to hammer it in to shape.

I own and manage ServiceNow at my organization. Don't underestimate it. Everything that has been said in this thread is true. Most implementations are dogshit. My org's has a long way to go as well.

The advice Collateral Damage and Proteus Jones gave is spot on. It will require an actual team to support it along with the business and process owners giving constant feedback to improve it.

If you just bought the tool, I'd squeeze your Account Executive for free tickets to the ServiceNow conference, Knowledge.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dogstile posted:

Bitcoin would have been great if i hadn't blown multiple coins on pizza before it took off.

Oh well, that's a shame.

Recent reply-all episode has a thing where a journalist talks about buying bad weed with 70 bitcoin on silkroad, and then they try to find her old wallet to see if there were any bitcoin left over.

It’s a good listen and touches on a number of reasons why crypto currencies are silly.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Thanks Ants posted:

If people are printing to the wrong place then have virtual queues and release stations next to each printer. I mean if you want to go all-in on printer stuff.

But then how will I send goatse to those ivory tower elites up on the sixth floor?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress all cryptocurrencies equally

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Except Gridcoin, which you get as an incentive for doing Folding@Home style distributes research :spergin:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry but gently caress dogecoin slightly less than the rest

They do a pretty good job of loving themselves and their users on a continual basis without any help tho

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

Gonna make a new ICO based on Proof of Fuckery.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We have actual SharePoint Admins.
Literally crying snotty, filthy tears of jealousy and rage right now. I WANT ACTUAL SHAREPOINT ADMINS.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've been unemployed for 2 days now and my wife told me to take 2 weeks off and just relax. All my sinus pressure is gone. This is amazing. For now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Matt Zerella posted:

I've been unemployed for 2 days now and my wife told me to take 2 weeks off and just relax. All my sinus pressure is gone. This is amazing. For now.

Now's the time to work on that engine block that's been inexplicably laying in your front driveway.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Aunt Beth posted:

Literally crying snotty, filthy tears of jealousy and rage right now. I WANT ACTUAL SHAREPOINT ADMINS.

Get rid of SharePoint, problem solved.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

Get rid of SharePoint, problem solved.
If only... :pray:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The Iron Rose posted:

If the printer supports it you could always enforce secure print only, of course the next level thing to do would be to setup the printers as a pool so jobs can be released anywhere but then you'd lament your life choices as to why you're still managing printers.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Met with a recruiter who likes to talk to people before placing them and see what they want so he can find things that fit. It sure was a lot better than most talks I had with recruiters so I think I found one of those fabled good ones.

He went into a lot of detail to try and understand the technical aspects of my jobs and came up with 2 opportunities that are almost exactly what I’d like. One of them is the 5 minute commute I was talking about the other day.

The other one he tried to sell me on, but I’m not sure about yet. It’s a startup that mostly does proof of concepts with/for R&D departments. It aounds interesting but I’m not sure if it’s interesting enough to beat a 5 minute commute to a job that has all the tech opportunities I am currently looking for. The recruiter only mentioned it at the end of our talk saying he thinks it’d be a really great cultural match and that he’d hate to not offer it to me. Asked me if I wanted to have a talk with the CEO to see what my impression would be. No hard feelings if I didn’t like it but he seemed to think that I’d love it over there.

Maybe I should go for the talk, even if it’s only for the interview experience.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

LochNessMonster posted:

Met with a recruiter who likes to talk to people before placing them and see what they want so he can find things that fit. It sure was a lot better than most talks I had with recruiters so I think I found one of those fabled good ones.

He went into a lot of detail to try and understand the technical aspects of my jobs and came up with 2 opportunities that are almost exactly what I’d like. One of them is the 5 minute commute I was talking about the other day.

The other one he tried to sell me on, but I’m not sure about yet. It’s a startup that mostly does proof of concepts with/for R&D departments. It aounds interesting but I’m not sure if it’s interesting enough to beat a 5 minute commute to a job that has all the tech opportunities I am currently looking for. The recruiter only mentioned it at the end of our talk saying he thinks it’d be a really great cultural match and that he’d hate to not offer it to me. Asked me if I wanted to have a talk with the CEO to see what my impression would be. No hard feelings if I didn’t like it but he seemed to think that I’d love it over there.

Maybe I should go for the talk, even if it’s only for the interview experience.
There's basically no harm in interviewing if it doesn't cause you financial hardship to do it. The worst that happens is you network with a bunch of people who might remember you when they move onto another company that you'd like better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Super Slash posted:

If the printer supports it you could always enforce secure print only, of course the next level thing to do would be to setup the printers as a pool so jobs can be released anywhere but then you'd lament your life choices as to why you're still managing printers.

Welcome to Papercut!

...which we've been trying to implement and get working for a few months now and is a large reason why my mentor/senior sysadmin was fired last week.

The beginning and end of my involvement with this is setting up the new print server because fuuuuuuuuuuck printers.