Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Vietnam was mostly napalm and agent orange (burn & defoliant respectively).

There were a buncha flamethrowers too, but they were in the minority compared to the bombing campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nope. Joke or not you were totally 100% correct. That was literally the purpose of making the flamethrower not look like one. That guy got shot first.

Granted there's also another practical side of it; if the flamethrower guy gets shot first nobody wants to be him so find out a way for him to not get shot first.

Cf. my father, SF radioman. The antenna on his back was basically a big "Shoot me second! (after the officer)" flag. Because if you don't take him out, he calls in an Arc Light and makes your camp look like the surface of the moon.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
With the Arc Light strikes, was there a bunch of B-52's just floating around at ready notice or did you have to wait for them to scramble?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Delivery McGee posted:

Cf. my father, SF radioman. The antenna on his back was basically a big "Shoot me second! (after the officer)" flag. Because if you don't take him out, he calls in an Arc Light and makes your camp look like the surface of the moon.

what is an arc light

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A spanner. Pass me it!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

what is an arc light

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Arc_Light

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I thought it was cheaper to just artillery the poo poo out of everything, cause it sure seemed they did that a lot.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

slothrop posted:

With the Arc Light strikes, was there a bunch of B-52's just floating around at ready notice or did you have to wait for them to scramble?

As far as I can tell, they were Alert-5 on Guam, so it'd take awhile. But when they got there ... well, perhaps I should use Dad's words: "We were in a firefight, and then the world exploded, and a quarter-mile wide by mile-long stretch of jungle was just ... gone." They were so high up you never saw/heard them coming.

Also, fun fact, those same aircraft that my pa was calling in 50 years ago are still in service, and expected to last 'til the 2040s. It's not your father's Air Force, but it may be your grandfather's airplane.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Back of the envelope says that's a 4 hour one way trip at cruising speed. That still seems a long time to wait if you're in the poo poo so bad you need to disappear some jungle.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Vietnam was mostly napalm and agent orange (burn & defoliant respectively).

There were a buncha flamethrowers too, but they were in the minority compared to the bombing campaigns.

They did have some on boats, which apparently saw a reasonable amount of use. Supposedly these had a range of up to 300 metres. :stare:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Krankenstyle posted:

I thought it was cheaper to just artillery the poo poo out of everything, cause it sure seemed they did that a lot.

Artillery is only cheap if it's already on site.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Perestroika posted:

They did have some on boats, which apparently saw a reasonable amount of use. Supposedly these had a range of up to 300 metres. :stare:

gah

i cant help but wonder what the pressure was in those monsters if they could throw that long

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd say you're looking at a literal fire hose loaded with combustibles and a pilot light attached there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sure but as anyone who's played with matches & gasoline knows, that just dribbles. You need pressure to shoot it somewhere.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Krankenstyle posted:

Sure but as anyone who's played with matches & gasoline knows, that just dribbles. You need pressure to shoot it somewhere.

You can make your own with a propane tank and a nozzle. For use on weeds, see, and most definitely not on the neighbors who let their gotdamned pitbull chew through the fence to get at you while you were out in the yard burning weeds. Make sure you store the nozzle away from the propane canister you have for the barbecue, so if anyone gets curious they definitely won't find it behind the Christmas tree in the shed.

Not that I would know.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I was wondering how much pressure was needed for the goddamn vieatnam boats to shoot 300 meters of flames...

Not to build it myself, not to do anything, just "wow, that must have needed a lot of pressure".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I imagine the exact specs of those are still very classified.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Krankenstyle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkrQia1GlNY

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpeWHtlIsB4&t=148s

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

awesome, thanks :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdH1hSWGFGU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Krankenstyle posted:

I was literally kidding though lol --- Why else would they camouflage it?

In other historical news, I've been looking through royal decrees regarding an area one of my ancestors came from and I came across one that said "2 farmers of Cronborg district namely [blah blah], may be reimbursed for two horses that were rammed to death by a deer" (May 22, 1724)

Guess the king was in a generous mood

You have to remember, a trained farm horse was a fantastically expensive and important thing to a farmer's ability to actually farm. It's the tractor, generator, and family car all in one. A horse multiplies a farmer's ability to make and distribute food. So without those horses, people literally starve. It was probably cheaper to replace the horses then to loose the tax income, local food supply, productivity, and good will.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Suspect Bucket posted:

You have to remember, a trained farm horse was a fantastically expensive and important thing to a farmer's ability to actually farm. It's the tractor, generator, and family car all in one. A horse multiplies a farmer's ability to make and distribute food. So without those horses, people literally starve. It was probably cheaper to replace the horses then to loose the tax income, local food supply, productivity, and good will.

Dunno how it was in Denmark, but at least here in southern Germany horses were something only the wealthier farmers had in their possession. My grandma was born on a tiny farmstead in 1932 and told me that most of farmers in her village only had oxen to pull ploughs and carriages, with "horse farmers" being a relatively small minority. This also never really changed, because draught animals would become obsolete soon anyway when agriculture became largely mechanised after WW2.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I can't speak to those two farmers or their wealth, but definitely the king didn't just hand out money for new horses on a whim. I'm thinking they argued that since the stag that killed the horses was the king's (all deer were), it was his responsibility, but idk.

I'll get back on that sometime after next week when I've looked at the actual decree.

One of my ancestors did steal a horse in 1845 and sold it to someone else. The case went all the way to the supreme court and he was sentenced a whopping 2x5 days jail lol

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

System Metternich posted:

Dunno how it was in Denmark, but at least here in southern Germany horses were something only the wealthier farmers had in their possession. My grandma was born on a tiny farmstead in 1932 and told me that most of farmers in her village only had oxen to pull ploughs and carriages, with "horse farmers" being a relatively small minority. This also never really changed, because draught animals would become obsolete soon anyway when agriculture became largely mechanised after WW2.

All the more important then that you replace the very valuable farm property owned by an influential farmsteader.

Also, 'Gored to death by a stag' sounds incredibly suspicious to me.

Anyhoo, it was definitely not a case of generosity.

\/\/Prolly\/\/

Suspect Bucket has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jan 27, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
King got drunk and killed a horse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lockback posted:

King got drunk and killed a horse.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Krankenstyle posted:

I was wondering how much pressure was needed for the goddamn vieatnam boats to shoot 300 meters of flames...

Not to build it myself, not to do anything, just "wow, that must have needed a lot of pressure".

If you read Low Level Hell, which is amazing stories about recon helicopters in Vietnam, the author does mention the Zippo flamethrower AFVs were used as the final line in fire base defense, basically, if the VC/NVA had reached the inner perimeter, that perimeter was A WALL OF FIRE!

There's a mention of him seeing the results of the Zippos work after an attack on a fire-base, it apparently wasn't pretty.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krankenstyle posted:

Artillery has less range than a bomber and is more vulnerable. If you keep the planes in a place the VC can't get (i.e, Gaum) then they're generally pretty safe. If memory serves the Vietnamese could guerrilla the hell out of basically anything they wanted but didn't have good air support or much SAM stuff. Yes there was artillery but it had problems. Planes could just fly over the jungle with relative impunity and carpet bomb just like whatever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Artillery has less range than a bomber and is more vulnerable. If you keep the planes in a place the VC can't get (i.e, Gaum) then they're generally pretty safe. If memory serves the Vietnamese could guerrilla the hell out of basically anything they wanted but didn't have good air support or much SAM stuff. Yes there was artillery but it had problems. Planes could just fly over the jungle with relative impunity and carpet bomb just like whatever.

B52s were safer than the F105s and F4s, but NVA AA was absolutely lethal and led to the development of Wild Weasel techniques to suppress it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
On the other hand, artillery can be organic to a combat force, isn't affected by weather, can't be shot down by enemy aircraft/IADS, and has much faster response times. A good artillery battery can have it's guns firing within minutes, whereas it might take 10-30 minutes or more for air support to show up.

In WWII for example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/2ptn4a/over_time_the_idea_that_british_artillery_during/

quote:

There was a question here a while back that discussed the axis opinion of allied troops. The overall consensus was that the Americans, while far from the most fearsome, were noted by German soldiers to have the best coordinated artillery tactics. Americans used the British system, but with a very significant innovation. They pre-computed the firing data for a HUGE number of variations of wind/temperature, barrel wear, elevation differentials, etc. Then for each possible variation, they created a separate calibrated tape measure. Along the tape was printed the gun laying information instead of distance marks. When a firing mission came in, the plotting officer would simply go to a filing cabinet containing the hundreds (thousands?) of these tapes and pull out the correct one for the current meteorological and situational factors. Then the tape would be laid out between the two grid points on the map (the battery's and the target's) and the firing data would be read from the printing on the tape. Apparently there were some other fudges that got thrown in to make the firing even more accurate. Net result was that there were about three minutes elapsed time from the initial fire support call until shells were making the enemy duck. And the firing was almost as accurate as the spotted German fires. Ergo, very responsive explosions exactly where they are wanted. Again, a drawback to the American system is that it requires very accurate and detailed maps (say showing individual farm buildings for instance) which must be plentifully supplied to troops at all levels. However, given the availability of such maps then American artillery could be hellacious. In fact the technique was so easy, that an otherwise ignorant enlisted man could be readily walked through the procedure over radio when all his officers had fallen. Another innovation of the Americans was their ability to obtain accurate fires extremely quickly from a LARGE number of firing batteries. Because of the simplicity and elegance of the tape system, almost any battery in range could fire on any target in any direction. All they had to do was get a request from another firing HQ or even just listen in on other battalion radio nets. No doubt more than one German officer assumed he'd have at least the first 15 or 20 minutes of his surprise attack free of defensive artillery fire. And when the artillery did start to come in, he'd expect to be warned by the initial spotting rounds. Instead he found he was under immediate fire placed directly on his men while many were still crossing the start line. I'm sure it appeared to more than one German that the Americans must have known when and where such attacks were coming. No wonder some Germans were impressed with American artillery.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Queen of battle.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
In a bit of new-meets-old, the Voynich manuscript decoding efforts finally made a bit of progress:

quote:

Importantly, the researchers aren’t saying they’ve deciphered the entire Voynich manuscript. Rather, they’ve identified the language of origin (Hebrew), and a coding scheme in which letters have been arranged in a particular order (alphagram). Kondrak says the full meaning of the text won’t be known until historians of ancient Hebrew have a chance to study the deciphered text.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bah, alphagrams is some numerology type nonsense.

I like the theory that it’s an invented alphabet for a Nahuatl dialect better. They got pretty far identifying the plants from the herbal section:
https://hort.purdue.edu/voynich/

Weird coincidence that I just bought the facsimile though!

E:

quote:

For the final step, the researchers deciperhered the opening phrase of the manuscript, and presented it to colleague Moshe Koppel, a computer scientist and native Hebrew speaker. Koppel said it didn’t form a coherent sentence in Hebrew.

“However, after making a couple of spelling corrections, Google Translate [was] able to convert it into passable English: ‘She made recommendations to the priest, man of the house and me and people,’” wrote the researchers in the study

Jesus Christ lol

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Jan 30, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Algorithms are either going to save the world or doom it, it's just a matter of which happens first.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Algorithms are either going to save the world or doom it, it's just a matter of which happens first.

You're implying that a saved world cannot then be doomed. Entropy's gonna get us all in the end, it's just a question of how soon that end is and how much we help it along.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

Pretty much everything that exists is doomed anyway. It isn't a matter of if something gets destroyed so much as when.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54UbGamQPI8

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pretty much everything that exists is doomed anyway. It isn't a matter of if something gets destroyed so much as when.

Thanks, Tyson.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Re: the gored horses earlier, I just spent over a drat hour teasing out the handwriting of an absolute madman.

This document is a "tingsvidne" (basically a legally binding transcript from a thing session). It says that Jens Hansen of Horserød appeared before the local court and complained that one of his best "wagon mares", five years of age, had been gored by a deer. Thereafter, he had been unable to do Corvée (mandatory work for the king/lord), and his own farming had been set back.

Last winter, he had been attacked by a "contagious disease" and been shot to death by the local administration (lol that's p much what it says, but I assume it means his animals), and so the loss of the mare compelled him to seek help lest he lose his farm. Thus he would like to call witnesses.

Three named men then approached and one by one swore with raised hands that they had seen that his mare was dead, and it was stung in the left side so its guts had spilled out, that no other than a deer could have done it, and that the mare was valued at 16 sletdaler.

Local administrator Lorentz Juel "had nothing to say", but it is he who sent the documents further up the system with a recommendation, suggesting 10 rigsdaler (15 sldl) to each farmer so they could buy new horses.

The other farmer didn't have a tingsvidne, but instead a boring letter with an endorsement by the local bailiff and two witnesses. His horse was valued at 12 rigsdaler.

In the central admin, some other guy has written in the margin that second farmer should only get 8 rdl (12 sldl) – maybe the lack of a tearjerker? Then a third administrator approved it in the name of the king.

So yeah they seem to be smallish farmers who really needed those horses, and the admin figured it was better to help them get new horses than the whole system collapsing.

Transcription:

quote:

Kongl=Mayts Birchedommere till det Chronnibori-
ske Regiments Rytter Destricts Bircke Ting:
Søren Michelsøn udj Nibberød, og Laurs Ra-
smusøn Arendrup paa Nellerup: Birckeskrifver
til fornte Bircketing, Giøre Witterligt
at Aar 1723 Mandagen Den 18de Octobr
For Retten fremkom Jens Hansøn af Horse-
rød og sig beklagede huor leedes Een hans beste
Wogen hopper af femb Aars Alder Er sidst leeden
dend 11te Octobr ved Een Jort blefuen Ihiel
stucken, huor udeffter hand ved Reiser og
Kjørsler sampt hans Auflings forstrechelse
tilbageholdes, var derfohr aff Retten be-
gierrendes at motte blifue tilladt at førre
Widner at det saaleedes udj Aldsandheed befin-
des, som hand her udj Retten haffuer angefvet
thi som alt hans Lif vahre forleeden Windter
af dend Smitsom Syge blef Angreben, og der
ofuer udj hans Excell: Ahmptmandens Nerver-
relse Ijelskudt. Altso faldt denne
Skade hannem des haardere, og der for var
nødt til at Søge om hielp, Paa det hand ikke
Sin Gaard der ofuer skulde qvitere og til
dend Ende fremstillede Kield Laurßen udj
[Øveholt?], Hans Jensen udj Horserød, og Jacob
Andersen Smed ibm, Som Eene huer forsig
Vandt Ved Ord med opRagte Fingere effter
Loffven, at de hafuer seet Jens Hansus
Hoppe var død, og var stuken udj dend
venstere side, saa tarmmene var udfald-
den, og kunde ikke verer giort af Andet
End af Een Jort og samme hoppe tilstod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I mean on the long scale eventually the earth will be destroyed.