Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
cultural and artistic appropriation can happen at any time, at any place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, speak of the devil....Funimation's episode 2 has translated lyrics for the OP!

Also they just dubbed the live action scenes.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 29, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Also they just dubbed the live action scenes.

What the gently caress

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Imma Instagram this~"

So oddly, Funi was able to get translations for the OP and ED, but not Love Me * Pop Team Epic.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 29, 2018

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

an actual dog posted:

It occurs to me that it would require every single language be cleared, just to make sure this doesn't happen.

https://twitter.com/jlist/status/953097061049790464

I actually prefer the German version of some shows because it's loving wild. They seem to deliberately go out of their way to use the most outlandish turns of phrase possible. If you want to spice up your German with some obscure phrases, crunchyroll's German Jojo is where it's at.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I really appreciate their choice of song to replace the one in the backup singer segment. It's very Pop Team Epic.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Dang do I need a funi account to watch it dubbed? I was hoping I could use my crunchy account to get into funi's site since funi bought crunchy but I can't seem to get in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funi didn't buy Crunchy, though. They're just working together. If you want to watch both, a VRV account is only like 3 bucks more than Crunchy and gets you full Crunchy Premium and almost full Funi access through the VRV app, including Simuldubs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Note that VRV is heavily regional restricted.

It's not available at all outside of the US.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

To be fair, Funimation is also very scarcely available outside the US too.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HenryEx posted:

What the gently caress
it's way more common here to have voice actors do their parts separately than together in the booth

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Waffleman_ posted:

Funi didn't buy Crunchy, though. They're just working together.

oh i figured that was just corporate speak for a buyout. Not used to companies actually working together.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

And More posted:

I actually prefer the German version of some shows because it's loving wild. They seem to deliberately go out of their way to use the most outlandish turns of phrase possible. If you want to spice up your German with some obscure phrases, crunchyroll's German Jojo is where it's at.

So it's the panty and stocking dub, but every show?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

daft punk parody

:wtf:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Funi was recently bought by Sony, fwiw

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

dogsicle posted:

Funi was recently bought by Sony, fwiw

So you're saying I should try my PSN account on Funi's website, got it.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Dunno about the female half of dubbed episode 2 but the male was Sonny Strait (Krillin, Usopp) as Popuko and Mike McFarland (Roshi, Buggy) as Pipimi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just realized we're not even halfway through the season.

It all feels like just so much.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xinder posted:

oh i figured that was just corporate speak for a buyout. Not used to companies actually working together.

Basically when Amazon and Netflix started getting anime exclusives the old guard allied against them.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mokinokaro posted:

Basically when Amazon and Netflix started getting anime exclusives the old guard allied against them.

Wasn’t it more the opposite? The way I remember it, after the partnership was announced everyone was thrilled thinking everything could go on Crunchyroll now and then Sentai broke their relationship with them to give all their stuff to Amazon and start their own service.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waffleman_ posted:

Also songs can be a pain in the rear end to get translations for in a quick manner. They managed with the first song, but it's not uncommon for songs to go untranslated in simulcasts.

And it's Earth Wind and Fire, punk.

The latin american spanish subs in Crunchy include the songs within the episodes but no the OP and ED.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Ryaomon posted:

Dunno about the female half of dubbed episode 2 but the male was Sonny Strait (Krillin, Usopp) as Popuko and Mike McFarland (Roshi, Buggy) as Pipimi.

I'm hoping we'll get Freeza's and Cell's voices for the third episode, like the Japanese version.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Kids these days..

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

an actual dog posted:

It occurs to me that it would require every single language be cleared, just to make sure this doesn't happen.

https://twitter.com/jlist/status/953097061049790464

Somehow the German version works better.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lol apparently Popuko’s idol outfit was modeled after a real Idol’s

https://twitter.com/mg45tallgeese/status/954747491366432768
And the one with the yellow head band was kicked out for smoking (well, getting photographed smoking).

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Xinder posted:

I'm mostly used to them trying to kill each other: see Amazon video and chromecast never loving working together

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i wish companies would focus on killing each other rather than killing us

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

i wish companies would focus on killing each other rather than killing us

oh they don't want to kill us, they just want to enslave us, very different

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Cory in the Blouse posted:

So it's the panty and stocking dub, but every show?

They mostly do it with the rude assholes like Jotaro and Josuke, but yeah, pretty much.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

popteamepic!!!!!!!!!!!

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im really enjoying this

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

And More posted:

They mostly do it with the rude assholes like Jotaro and Josuke, but yeah, pretty much.
what the gently caress.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Inflammatory posted:

what the gently caress.

Like, he's not very refined or something. It's not so much insults as it's stuff he says when he's surprised. For example, when they find the invisible baby, he's all like:

"May lightning strike me while I'm making GBS threads…" aka "Well, I'll be damned."

And More fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 31, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'd like to throw a shout out to the Pythagoras Switch reference in the most recent episode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Real Akiba Boys do the Pop Team Epic OP
https://youtu.be/jiQUD4XI_z0

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

AnacondaHL posted:

Real Akiba Boys do the Pop Team Epic OP
https://youtu.be/jiQUD4XI_z0

^ Pro-click

This is still my favorite short skit, even if I don't get it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoabKwuf0RY

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/moonsmoothie/status/957434127191457792

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

TurkeyFried posted:

^ Pro-click

This is still my favorite short skit, even if I don't get it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoabKwuf0RY

I don't know why that one and this one both absolutely slay me, but they're so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE6KX6TK34g My boyfriend prefers the one that gave this thread its title, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have no idea if this is a smart place to ask this question, but

I created an account on the Funimation site to watch the dub, but the video doesn't actually play. I get a still image, and a helpful timeline bar that tells me when each of the commercial breaks are, but the video doesn't actually play. There's a little arrow on the corner I can click on but it doesn't actually do anything.

Is the site using some obscure codec or something?

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

I have no idea if this is a smart place to ask this question, but

I created an account on the Funimation site to watch the dub, but the video doesn't actually play. I get a still image, and a helpful timeline bar that tells me when each of the commercial breaks are, but the video doesn't actually play. There's a little arrow on the corner I can click on but it doesn't actually do anything.

Is the site using some obscure codec or something?

It uses the HTML 5 video player, which doesn't work for me in either Chrome or Edge because Funi's site is some broken rear end garbage ever since they changed the site layout. I suggest using the FunimationNow app from the windows app store(assuming you have Win 10), which is also garbage but at least somewhat functional garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Figures I would be in a position where I couldn't easily watch the new episode until much later when they throw in an Initial D gag and an extended EWF parody.