Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

CloFan posted:

Lotta toilet talk in here without mention of a bidet. You want to talk quality of life improvement? Install a bidet, your life will change

Got a bidet at the end of last year but I can't find the proper plumbing attachment for it :( I've had no luck at a half-dozen hardware stores to find a 1/4-inch male to 3/8th-inch female connection. Of course, the bidet company I purchased the seat from sells a 6' hose that does this, but I don't even think I need more than a few inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Ugghhh

What is it about owning a hardware empire that makes you such a piece of poo poo?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Home Depot is also a poo poo employer with bad labor practices.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I've long come to terms with the fact that if I were to not to business with companies run/owned by scumbags, I probably wouldn't be able to do very much in life.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

How are we feeling about Lowes? They're pretty close to my house. (and you can just google a movers coupon)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Ace Hardware can be pretty awesome depending on who owns your local stores, except that they're basically the dollar store of hardware and only sell crap.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alereon posted:

Ace Hardware can be pretty awesome depending on who owns your local stores, except that they're basically the dollar store of hardware and only sell crap.

The Ace Hardware by me seems to have more employees than customers so you just grab one of their staff and show them your list of what you need and they take you to each and every item (as opposed to wandering around lost in the 20 acre big box stores). It's fantastic.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

z0331 posted:

I've long come to terms with the fact that if I were to not to business with companies run/owned by scumbags, I probably wouldn't be able to do very much in life.

You can eat less meat without becoming a vegetarian.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Are there any easy ways to get Home Depot coupons? Gonna make a big purchase and would love a 10% off coupon.

Go to post office, ask for mover’s packet (think it has forms for change of address etc but I think they come with coupons).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CitizenKain posted:

So, when putting a house up for sale, I assume it is standard practice to remove the flag with a nazi symbol on it before listing it. Because poking around zillow I found someone who looks like they missed that memo.
In the garage is a flag with a totenkopf in one corner.

That kitchen flooring sucks too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A guy at Ace Hardware called me a "friggin dumb crap" when I dropped a gallon of paint so please don't ever shop there!!!!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

veiled boner fuel posted:

Landscaping update. I decided to wait for two reasons, one I wanted to make sure there weren't any winter drainage issues which would undoubtedly be blamed on my landscaping, and two, hoping a neighbor would get theirs landscaped and I'd be able to see how it worked.

And the latter happened. It's kind of an edge case since they literally patio'd 95% of the flat part of their backyard, but what they did was make a ramp out of plywood and used it to both dump the patio substrate down (with a guy stationed in the middle to help it along with a shovel) and also to slide the patio pavers down.

But I think river rock will slide down the ramp better than the poo poo you put under patios, so seems like a pretty good solution. They moved enough stuff down the ramp in a day with only a few guys to make the base of a ~3500 square foot patio, so...

Anyway I'll probably contact the same company soon and try and get something set up for the spring.

Another update! After sitting around on my nuts for 3 months I thought "poo poo, I shoulda been getting this set up, everyone is probably getting booked out the rear end for spring right now." So I contacted five landscaping companies through Yelp and (much different than what happened last time), all five responded immediately and all five were able to get someone out to my house within ~5 days to look at the situation and work up an estimate.

And I got the first estimate today!

And it's thirty six loving thousand dollars!

And now I'm gonna go shoot myself in the goddamn head!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Alereon posted:

I think ymmv, whenever I buy small things the quality seems good

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

uwaeve posted:

Go to post office, ask for mover’s packet (think it has forms for change of address etc but I think they come with coupons).

They also come with 20% off at BB&B (all items not just one item) which can be handy if you need to buy a million curtain panels for a new house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

And it's thirty six loving thousand dollars!

:allears:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No but seriously, $36k for landscaping could be super reasonable or insane, it all depends on what you're doing and how many acres of it/how much concrete/how many rare exotic trees you're doing it with

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

No but seriously, $36k for landscaping could be super reasonable or insane, it all depends on what you're doing and how many acres of it/how much concrete/how many rare exotic trees you're doing it with

True. But this is:

0 rare trees
0 concrete
Maybe 3000 square feet which will mostly just be river rock or some poo poo.

I've got 3 more bids that should be coming in but at least one of the others was spitballed at "20 grand if it were flat, plus 8 grand for the slope" so our thinking that it'd be ~12 grand for something real basic and maybe 18 grand with some frills may not work out.

Tbf this should be the highest since I think he misunderstood a couple things we said with regard to raised beds and retaining walls and poo poo, but my hopes of getting it done super nice for under 20k are starting to evaporate.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Alereon posted:

As a guy who frequently needs one small bolt with a specific threading and a specific length, Ace hardware is unmatched. I feel bad only shopping there for <$5 purchases but the loose bolts section at big box stores just can't compete.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

spf3million posted:

As a guy who frequently needs one small bolt with a specific threading and a specific length, Ace hardware is unmatched. I feel bad only shopping there for <$5 purchases but the loose bolts section at big box stores just can't compete.

Plus they curse at goons so that is a plus. You can also find things that stopped being sold in the 1980s there.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Where can I get the best bang for my buck to replace all the doorknobs and hinges in my house?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Where can I get the best bang for my buck to replace all the doorknobs and hinges in my house?

Congratulations on your awesome house that has so few problems you're replacing doorknobs. I want to be you.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

TheManWithNoName posted:

Amazon. I tried looking for builders packs at Lowes and Home Depot but they didn't have anything I liked. Replacing 13 interior door knobs sucked and I should have repainted the doors and done hinges at the same time but I'm an idiot and didn't do that.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Definitely Amazon. We replaced all off our interior doors a couple years ago and got the knobs and hinges for much cheaper than Lowe’s or Home depot would’ve had them.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

Congratulations on your awesome house that has so few problems you're replacing doorknobs. I want to be you.

It’s more of “I’ve replaced a dozen brass boob light fixtures in the house so now our brass hardware stands out even more.”

I actually couldn’t find a decent option on Amazon. I have 3” hinges with rounded corners. I’d like satin nickel but they seem hard to find? Lots of 3.5” options though.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
When I replaced all my knobs locks and hinges I used build.com

https://www.build.com/door-hardware/c108415

Not sure I can say its the cheapest, but the selection was good, had decent quality brands and good customers service. You can get individualized service that was actually helpful and they will key the locks t your spec before shipment.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Homeowning goons, gently caress landscaping. Seriously. I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying it loving sucks.

Oh, hi there contractors. You possibly left 2 huge ruts in my yard. Oh, it was totally someone else? Oh ok. I'm still gonna have to fill these loving tire sized ruts with sand and poo poo cause of it. :sigh:

Sorry. I just need to rant cause it looks so bad but I can't prove it was them since the neighbors had a FEMA trailer and we weren't in the house when any of this happened.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Irritated Goat posted:

Oh, hi there contractors. You possibly left 2 huge ruts in my yard. Oh, it was totally someone else? Oh ok. I'm still gonna have to fill these loving tire sized ruts with sand and poo poo cause of it. :sigh:

The best part is that you actually have to till up/regrade the ruts if you want to do it right, as the soil is likely compacted and poo poo won't grow right there for a while.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Can you plant up the area or drop a boulder there?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I've about had it with the energy use in this house. I've replaced the windows, central heating and air conditioning unit, and added insulation to the roof to he house, and I've just had my highest energy bill this past month. My electronics couldn't be driving up the price this much, can it?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

DTaeKim posted:

I've about had it with the energy use in this house. I've replaced the windows, central heating and air conditioning unit, and added insulation to the roof to he house, and I've just had my highest energy bill this past month. My electronics couldn't be driving up the price this much, can it?

Does your power company offer audits? Mine found all sorts of stuff wrong.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DTaeKim posted:

If you are worried about electronics buy a kill-a-watt and see. Check your fridge if it's >5 years old. Are your walls insulated?

Can you elaborate on how many hours a day you are running forces air, sqft conditioned, and kwh/therms/whatever you are drawing, plus outside temperature?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is your bill estimated? Sometimes they will just guess if they didn't bother to read the meter.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Elephanthead posted:

Is your bill estimated? Sometimes they will just guess if they didn't bother to read the meter.

Yeah, over the summer I got a stupidly low bill, despite running AC. Then I realized they only read the meter every other month and use an average from the previous year on the off month. Of course last year the house was unoccupied at the time. Any difference is made up the next time they read the meter.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

According to the last bill, my energy use was 1366 kWh. It looks like my company offers a home energy assessment, but I might have to pay for it because my income exceeds their threshold. Upon review of my bill, it looks like the power company levied a service fee equal to the use of my natural gas, which doubled it.

We bought this 30-year old house a couple of years ago and I thought it was strange that the average monthly bill was ~$250 a month. I knocked it down to under ~$200 after replacing the original heating and air condition and then replaced the electric furnace with a natural gas furnace. I've kept the house around 68 degrees Fahrenheit, so something else must be going on.

There is a meter outside the house, but I don't know if they actually send someone out or not. I've always doubted the accuracy of that thing, but now I'm really starting to wonder.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

True. But this is:

0 rare trees
0 concrete
Maybe 3000 square feet which will mostly just be river rock or some poo poo.

I've got 3 more bids that should be coming in but at least one of the others was spitballed at "20 grand if it were flat, plus 8 grand for the slope" so our thinking that it'd be ~12 grand for something real basic and maybe 18 grand with some frills may not work out.

Tbf this should be the highest since I think he misunderstood a couple things we said with regard to raised beds and retaining walls and poo poo, but my hopes of getting it done super nice for under 20k are starting to evaporate.

Second bid came in and was $17,300 and all is once again right with the world. The spouse has been out of town the whole time and I didn't even tell her about the 36k bid until we got the 17k bid because I didn't want her to lose her mind.

This cheap bid is missing three things from the 36k bid but one of those things was actually a misunderstanding and we didn't want it anyway. Checking with the cheap bidder on the cost to add the other two things (which are definitely optional). And all three things don't add up to 19k. Maybe 5k.

After I told all this to the spouse she said "yeah that (high priced company) didn't really seem like they wanted the work anyway" so maybe that explains the other part of it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Landscaping seems to be one of those "how much can you fleece a rich guy for?" fields, I've heard of smallish projects like that going for anywhere from $10k-$150k

get many quotes

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Went to take a shower tonight and the handle twisted right off at the cartridge stem :argh:

Previous owners paid eight thousand bucks to have that shower installed less than ten years ago (they left the finance paperwork behind witg their SS numbers on it), and the stupid cartridge should have a lifetime Moen warranty. But apparently that doesn't mean jack poo poo because homeownership can and will always find a way to bite you in the most unexpected ways.

Thing that bothers me most is that this should be an easy fix, but I can't bring myself to buy the drat cartridge locally because it's half the price on amazon as the big box hardware stores, so now I get to play the waiting game and shower at the gym till it shows up in the mail :negative:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

OSU_Matthew posted:

Went to take a shower tonight and the handle twisted right off at the cartridge stem :argh:

Previous owners paid eight thousand bucks to have that shower installed less than ten years ago (they left the finance paperwork behind witg their SS numbers on it), and the stupid cartridge should have a lifetime Moen warranty. But apparently that doesn't mean jack poo poo because homeownership can and will always find a way to bite you in the most unexpected ways.

Thing that bothers me most is that this should be an easy fix, but I can't bring myself to buy the drat cartridge locally because it's half the price on amazon as the big box hardware stores, so now I get to play the waiting game and shower at the gym till it shows up in the mail :negative:

A Moen cartridge is what, like 20 bucks?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

robotindisguise posted:

Can you plant up the area or drop a boulder there?

Nope, it's basically 2 steps from my porch. Spaced out like a truck's tires. I'm sure it was FEMA or the contractors but I don't know who and can't prove it either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Elephanthead posted:

I had this happen a year ago with water, I couldn't figure out how my tenant was using so much and feared I had an underground leak so I compared the meter to the bills. A year later I still have a $180 credit on the account. Now all the meters are read each billing cycle.